PDA

View Full Version : Nash's incursion annoys Magloire

MavsFanFinley
07-09-2005, 12:08 AM
Nash's incursion annoys Magloire

By ROBERT MACLEOD
From Saturday's Globe and Mail

Toronto Canada has only two players in the National Basketball Association, and it appears there's a rift between them over a basketball game.

Jamaal Magloire, the Toronto-born star of the New Orleans Hornets, is reported to be upset with the Phoenix Suns' Steve Nash, the league's most valuable player, because Nash is staging his charity all-star game in Toronto at the end of this month. Magloire thinks Toronto is his turf.

"Jamaal does a lot in Toronto for the community and he's really peeved that Steve got the game in the first place," said a person who did not want to be identified and who is close to the situation. "And he's also upset that Steve, at the very least, didn't call him in the early stages when the game was being put together just to give Jamaal the heads-up. It's just professional protocol."

Nash, who was raised in Victoria, told reporters in May that he was planning his first charity all-star game for the Air Canada Centre in Toronto on July 29. Stars such as Allen Iverson, Shawn Marion, Michael Finley and Chris Bosh have confirmed they will participate.

Nash added that he'd love to one day play host to a similar event in Vancouver.

For the final four summers that he played for the Toronto Raptors, Vince Carter played host to a charity all-star game at the Air Canada Centre. When Carter was traded to the New Jersey Nets in December, it created a void in the Toronto market that Nash rushed to fill.

"The game opportunity came through Steve from friends of his in Toronto who are very familiar with the basketball community," said Jenny Miller, a childhood friend of Nash from Victoria who is the executive director of the Steve Nash Foundation. "At that point, Steve contacted me and said I think we should move on this very quickly, and we jumped at the chance."

Miller was asked whether there ever was any concern about the propriety of Nash's holding a game in Toronto, Magloire's hometown.

"The opportunity came to us so quickly that we had to make a decision on the spot in order to get everything rolling," she said. "So the thought never crossed Steve's mind to reject it. And he's spent so much time in Toronto, certainly not as much as Jamaal. But he loves Toronto. So it was a nice fit for him as a way to give back."

Magloire, an NBA all-star two years ago, lives in Toronto in the off-season and is heavily involved in community work. He did little this week to deflect any notion he is upset by Nash's decision to hold his all-star charity event in the city.

"That's a tough question," Magloire said when asked about the rift. "It's hard to be disgruntled, because my mind is always on bigger and better things. It doesn't do you any good getting into disagreements with Nash, or a pissing match.

"They're going to do their thing and I'm going to do mine."

Magloire played in the Carter charity event the past three years, but said he did not receive an invitation to Nash's game this year. Miller said an invitation was extended.

Even if he had been invited, Magloire said, he would probably have turned it down so he could concentrate on the annual Caribana festival, which will kick off in Toronto the same weekend.

"I have a band in the parade for Caribana, so Caribana Friday is a time to put the speakers on the truck and for you to get your banners ready," Maglorie said. "I don't play any instrument, but I'm the band leader, so I lead a march of about 200 to 300 people"

Although he may be upset with Nash over the charity game, Magloire said he applauded him for becoming the first Canadian to win the MVP award in the NBA. He said he called to congratulate Nash.

"I'm glad he won," Magloire said. "That means there's going to be many more kids in Vancouver who are going to want to be like Steve Nash, and that's what we want."

Misfit Mav
07-09-2005, 12:27 AM
This is a bit odd... you need Magloire's permission to host an event in Toronto? i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

chumdawg
07-09-2005, 12:41 AM
Who does Magliore think he is? EmVeePEE, baby!

Drbio
07-09-2005, 01:44 PM
Magliore is an idiot. Both he and Nash can suck it.

DevinHarriswillstart
07-09-2005, 07:41 PM
Waaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaa I make millions waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

bradleywillcrushyou44
07-09-2005, 10:46 PM
how can you get mad at someone for making money for charity?

mavsman55
07-11-2005, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by: bradleywillcrushyou44
how can you get mad at someone for making money for charity?

Because apparently, charity is now about self-image instead of bringing aid to those in need. Absolutely ridiculous. Jamaal Magloire has just lost all of my respect.

MaverickFFL2
07-11-2005, 02:58 PM
Steve Nash can suck a big fat one.... nothing to see here boys, move along.

Rod1975
07-12-2005, 12:50 PM
If it's an all-star game then why is Finley going to be there?

V2M
07-12-2005, 03:13 PM
Magloire needs to grow up a bit.

Chiwas
07-12-2005, 05:32 PM
It's just professional protocol.Enough said.

Both should try a charity game in Africa. THAT will make me wonder.