PDA

View Full Version : Waco Juries Kick Arse...I love this town

Drbio
07-11-2005, 12:15 PM
Man gets 99 years for cellphone theft

12:08 PM CDT on Monday, July 11, 2005

Associated Press

WACO, Texas - A man has been sentenced to 99 years in prison for stealing a cellphone.

Glenn Alvin Reed, 31, was convicted of robbery Thursday for stealing a cellular phone from a man's truck last fall and then hitting him several times when he demanded its return.

Jurors, who deliberated about 15 minutes, convicted Reed as a habitual criminal because he has prior felony convictions for injury to an elderly person and robbery. That bumped the minimum sentence from five to 25 years for Reed, who rejected a 15-year plea bargain offer from prosecutors.

Reed also has 15 misdemeanor convictions dating to 1991, including 12 criminal trespassing convictions.

Reed, who testified during his trial against the wishes of his court-appointed attorneys, frequently went into profanity-laced tirades and told jurors he didn't care if they gave him life in prison.

"There's things I choose to do, like, if I go in a store and choose to take a Snicker's bar," Reed testified. "If you catch me, you catch me. If not, I'm going to go home and eat it up and go on about my business, dog."

Four years ago, Reed walked up behind retired Texas Ranger Capt. Bob Prince outside the McLennan County courthouse annex and said he was robbing him. Prince decided not to shoot Reed because he could tell he was unarmed, the former Ranger testified during Reed's cell phone robbery trial.

Prince easily took Reed into custody, and he later was sentenced to two years in prison, according to court records.

Reed made an obscene hand gesture toward Prince as the former Ranger left the witness stand.

Drbio
07-11-2005, 12:16 PM
BTW...this is easily one of the top 10 stupidest people I have ever heard of in my life. What a dumbass.

Big Boy Laroux
07-11-2005, 12:18 PM
i'm a eat it, and go about my business, dog!

waco juries rule. waco inhabitants drool. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Drbio
07-11-2005, 12:20 PM
hahahaha ...now he's a bend over and take it all beeyatch dog.

mary
07-11-2005, 12:34 PM
.........Reed, who rejected a 15-year plea bargain offer from prosecutors

He'd probably like a do-over on that one.

mavsman55
07-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Reed, who testified during his trial against the wishes of his court-appointed attorneys, frequently went into profanity-laced tirades and told jurors he didn't care if they gave him life in prison.

HA! I wonder if he still doesn't care.

chumdawg
07-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by: mary

He'd probably like a do-over on that one.I dunno...sounds like he might be happy to have someone to feed, clothe, and shelter him for the rest of his life. Probably a good gig, the way he looks at it. Beats stealing for your meals, anyway.

mary
07-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by: chumdawg

Originally posted by: mary

He'd probably like a do-over on that one.I dunno...sounds like he might be happy to have someone to feed, clothe, and shelter him for the rest of his life. Probably a good gig, the way he looks at it. Beats stealing for your meals, anyway.

Perhaps one day the constant threat of physical/sexual abuse from fellow inmates/guards will change his perspective on life.

capitalcity
07-11-2005, 05:01 PM
Hungry?! ... why wait? Just keep it real.

southern_sweets
07-12-2005, 08:25 PM
I was in Waco yesterday. Good thing I paid for my diet coke. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

twelli
07-12-2005, 11:02 PM
I know this is a nutcase who probably won't change soon, but 99 years. Jesus! Didn't even kill anyone.

Drbio
07-13-2005, 01:03 AM
That's why I love living in Waco.

Smiles
07-13-2005, 10:49 AM
OMG, that guy is hilarious - and incarcerated for life! i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Next, let's try at least that harsh of a sentence on some of the sex offenders and batterers - that's what I'm talking about. Texas needs to get with the program!

Gotta love those Waco jury members!

u2sarajevo
07-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by: Smiles
Next, let's try at least that harsh of a sentence on some of the sex offenders and batterers - that's what I'm talking about.Smiles does her best Kip Dynamite impersonation...... i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

LRB
07-14-2005, 04:33 PM
What a dumb@$$. Anyone that stupid deserves to be locked up for life.

Pongo
07-16-2005, 04:33 AM
This bastard should live in Waco!!
What a dumbass

By ALLISON SCHLESINGER, Associated Press Writer 2 minutes ago

PITTSBURGH - A T-ball coach allegedly paid one of his players $25 to hurt an 8-year-old mentally disabled teammate so he wouldn't have to put the boy in the game, police said Friday.

Mark R. Downs Jr., 27, of Dunbar, is accused of offering one of his players the money to hit the boy in the head with a baseball, police said. Witnesses told police Downs didn't want the boy to play in the game because of his disability.

Police said the boy was hit in the head and in the groin with a baseball just before a game, and didn't play, police said.

"The coach was very competitive," state police Trooper Thomas B. Broadwater said. "He wanted to win."

Downs has an unpublished telephone number and couldn't immediately be reached for comment Friday. It was unclear whether he had an attorney.

He was arrested and arraigned Friday on charges including criminal solicitation to commit aggravated assault and corruption of minors. He was released from jail on an unsecured bond.

The alleged assault happened June 27 in North Union Township, about 40 miles southeast of Pittsburgh, authorities said.

The boy's mother asked state police to investigate her son's injuries because she suspected Downs wanted to keep the boy off the field, despite a league rule that required each player to participate in three innings a game, Broadwater said.

Eric Forsythe, the president of the R.W. Clark Youth Baseball League, said Downs had two daughters on the T-ball team.

League organizers investigated accusations against Downs before the T-ball season ended earlier this month but could not prove that he did anything wrong. If Downs is convicted of any crime, he won't be allowed to be a coach next year, Forsythe said. The league is not affiliated with Little League International.

twelli
07-16-2005, 05:43 AM
yeah, give that man 99 years too...

let's see what happens if the other inmates don't want him to play on their team...

kg_veteran
07-16-2005, 08:41 AM
Doc, that's why I love trying cases here. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif