PDA

View Full Version : Big Z agrees to terms with Cavs

grndmstr_c
07-11-2005, 09:27 PM
From espn:

Cavs reportedly signing big man to five-year deal
SportsTicker

CLEVELAND -- Days after the Cleveland Cavaliers made waves with a marquee free-agent signing, Zydrunas Ilgauskas reportedly has elected to remain with the club.

According to a report in Monday's Cleveland Plain Dealer, Ilgauskas will sign a five-year deal worth up to $60 million on July 22, the first day free agents can sign according to the NBA's collective bargaining agreement.

The report comes three days after the Cavaliers agreed to terms with guard Larry Hughes, one of the top prizes on the free-agent market after a stellar season with the Washington Wizards.

The 30-year-old Ilgauskas, who has played all seven of his seasons with Cleveland, averaged 16.9 points and 8.6 rebounds in 78 games last season. He led the NBA with 299 offensive rebounds, ranked sixth with 165 blocks and was selected to the Eastern Conference All-Star team for the second time in three years.

After suffering through myriad foot injuries early in his career, the 7-3, 260-pounder has been a constant presence in the middle for the Cavaliers. Ilgauskas has missed just six games over the last three seasons and has increased his minutes in each campaign.

In 413 career games, the Lithuania native has averaged 14.9 points and 7.7 rebounds.

rakesh.s
07-11-2005, 10:31 PM
saw this earlier this evening...incredibly overpaid is all i can say.

Everyone thought Nash was overpaid, but this is even worse. This guy doesn't do anything to impact the game and lacks mobility.. Not the kind of guy you want running the floor with Lebron.

Drbio
07-12-2005, 12:44 AM
Most centers are incredibly overpaid.

HexNBA
07-12-2005, 04:54 AM
Yeah I didnt think Danny Ferry would give in to a 5 year demand. Pretty dumb

Update: ah, according to some reports the 5th year is not guaranteed, and based on games played in the previous 4 seasons. So thats alright then. Still a bit pricey but thats what you get with centers.

Misfit Mav
07-12-2005, 06:57 AM
I don't think this is a bad signing at all. There aren't many centers clearly better than Ilgauskas. I think the Cavs off-season has been a big success so far.

rakesh.s
07-12-2005, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by: Misfit Mav
I don't think this is a bad signing at all. There aren't many centers clearly better than Ilgauskas. I think the Cavs off-season has been a big success so far.

With ~30 million in cap space, it is hard to be a failure, though the dollar amounts on the contracts they've handed out is questionable. They're also supposedly woo'ing Udonis Haslem for nearly 8 million per...Are you kidding me? Would anyone in their right mind pay more than the MLE for Haslem?

HexNBA
07-12-2005, 08:55 AM
"They're also supposedly woo'ing Udonis Haslem for nearly 8 million per...Are you kidding me? Would anyone in their right mind pay more than the MLE for Haslem?"

TBH I have only heard about this from the Miami locals, so it seems more like his agent trying to drive up the price than the Cavs actually having an interest.

rakesh.s
07-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by: HexNBA
"They're also supposedly woo'ing Udonis Haslem for nearly 8 million per...Are you kidding me? Would anyone in their right mind pay more than the MLE for Haslem?"

TBH I have only heard about this from the Miami locals, so it seems more like his agent trying to drive up the price than the Cavs actually having an interest.

Hmm, I thought Lebron was the one being vocal about getting Haslem.. He was supposedly excited about Haslem after he played with him in the Rookie Challenge.

madape
07-12-2005, 12:04 PM
It's funny that Mavs fans are ripping Cleveland for re-signing thier all-star center to a five year contract, one year after the Maverick organization signed Erick Dampier to a seven year deal worth about the same amount per year (AND giving up 2 first round picks, AND a big expiring contract, AND a solid rotation guy in Eduardo Najera).

EricaLubarsky
07-12-2005, 12:08 PM
You crack me up every time you call Najera a solid rotation guy. At least you stopped talking about Laettner like he would have gotten us 25mpg.

madape
07-12-2005, 12:20 PM
Well, it's hard to imagine Najera not contributing at least SOMETHING in the playoffs last year. We know he can guard Yao. We know Dump can't. I bet he could guard Amare without becoming a national punchline. We know Dump can't.

Even though I was never a fan of Najera being an every-day starter for this team, I recognize that he would have been better for this team in the playoffs last year than the disaster we're locked into for the next 6 years.

rakesh.s
07-12-2005, 01:43 PM
the difference is that when dampier plays well, the mavs win and are pretty much unbeatable.

It doesn't really matter how ilgauskas plays, because he isn't an impact player.

I think dampier's deal was 7 years for 70 mill and the last year wasn't guaranteed or it was partially guaranteed..

Ilgauskas is getting 12 million per..which is insane.

dirno2000
07-12-2005, 02:09 PM
I think dampier's deal was 7 years for 70 mill and the last year wasn't guaranteed or it was partially guaranteed..As I racall, the last year is guaranteed only if he makes the All-Star game at some point in the contract or averages something like 35 minutes per game. I'm pretty sure about the All-Star kicker but the playing time kicker is fuzzy.

grndmstr_c
07-12-2005, 02:14 PM
I believe the all-star condition was 3 all-star games in the first six years. The pt kicker was less stringent than 35 minutes, I think, but because I've sort of got it crossed in my head with what Cuban was offering Nash I can't remember for certain.

chumdawg
07-12-2005, 02:17 PM
To be fair, I guess you have to note that Dampier is costing the Mavs a lot more than Z is costing the Cavs, because of the LT. Right?

u2sarajevo
07-12-2005, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by: chumdawg
To be fair, I guess you have to note that Dampier is costing the Mavs a lot more than Z is costing the Cavs, because of the LT. Right?Yep. Dampier doesn't get that money, but it does cost Cuban more.

Funny how people conveniently forget about that (or don't consider it) when it involves a player they want to keep.

dirno2000
07-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by: chumdawg
To be fair, I guess you have to note that Dampier is costing the Mavs a lot more than Z is costing the Cavs, because of the LT. Right?Only if you assume that all of Damp's salary is being taxed...the way I see it they're about even.

Edit: they're about even if we cut Fin. By my very rough calcualtion, Damp's portion of the luxury tax is about $1.5MM

alby
07-12-2005, 06:46 PM
oops

jayC
07-13-2005, 03:59 PM
The team won 58 games and advanced to the second round of the playoffs with Dump and the gang. The reason the mavs lost in the playoffs was placed soley on Dirk. If we want to be fair the previous season Nash had a mediocre playoff and Daniels was the second best player on the team.

Dampier when he is on the floor makes the mavs a far better team than when he isn't. The problem in the playoffs was the lack of a backup center. And the lack of Superstar play from one Dirk Nowitzki undoubtedly that was a fluke however, and he will rebound from his poor performance.

While we are on the subject of overpaid. Mike Redd 90 million dollar contract for a Fin clone. Alan Houston 4 years 51 million. Bobby Simmons 47 million to be the most improved player. Rasho Nesterovic got paid 65 million to sit on the bench throughout the playoffs. I am sure San Antonio would do a Rasho for Damp trade. Memphis would happily do a Damp for Wright in a heartbeat. Boston would do a Damp for Raef deal as well.

Eddie Najera provided the Nuggets with 5 points and 3.6 rebounds is a solid rotation guy. By God Eddie Najera was the mixing ingredient to the mavs championship run. i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

DevinHarriswillstart
07-13-2005, 04:58 PM
I like your point about Rasho jayC. People always rail on us because we over-paid Damp. Rasho, Wright and Raef are all over-paid too. If you want a big man in the modern NBA, you gotta dish out the bucks.