PDA

View Full Version : Jerome James To the Knicks

MavsFanFinley
07-14-2005, 12:01 AM
Knicks To Sign Jerome James

14th July, 2005 - 12:27 am

Howard Beck/NY Times - Jerome James, who played the last four seasons in Seattle, agreed yesterday to a five-year deal with the Knicks, according to his agent. Precise terms will not be set until the league completes its new labor deal. But it was expected that James will earn about $5 million in the first year of the contract, and $29 million over five years.

Before the contract is signed, James will be installed as the starting center, a job he will win by default. The Knicks traded their only true center, Nazr Mohammed, in February, and traded his replacement, Kurt Thomas, in June. The team drafted a center, Channing Frye, but he may not be ready for full-time work as a rookie.

So the void will be filled by James, a 7-foot-1 journeyman who turns 30 in November and has career averages of 4.9 points and 3.5 rebounds a game.

"It was clear once they moved Kurt Thomas and moved Nazr that they were in need of a real center, and that's what Jerome is," said James's agent, Marc Fleisher. "He's looking forward to the challenge."

MavKikiNYC
07-14-2005, 12:07 AM
Damn.....I think this is Isiah's best signing to date.

Which is also kinda funny.

dirno2000
07-14-2005, 12:10 AM
He should donate half his salary to the Kings...

EricaLubarsky
07-14-2005, 01:36 AM
JJ for 5 million is brilliant. I would say Damp and James are equals, and after James had a flash of talent last year, you'd think that he'd get paid twice for his size and again for those good games he put together.

Nash13
07-14-2005, 01:58 AM
Dirno, it took me like 20mins to catch on to that joke. But i agree with you. It takes a special bunch to make Jerome James look worthy of 10mil a season.

EDIT-- I take back what i said. The Knicks are going to get what they paid for

alby
07-14-2005, 04:12 AM
This is a very good pickup for the knicks, if they make another move to get rid one of their guards for another big, new york might have a playoff team????

FINtastic
07-14-2005, 10:58 AM
I'm kind of shocked to tell the truth. I didn't realize that Isiah Thomas still wanted centers on his roster.

DevinHarriswillstart
07-14-2005, 11:47 AM
well 6 points and 3 rebounds per game isn't anything to write home about. He got him for a good price, but that doesn't mean james is suddenly gonna be Shaq just because he was acquired for midlevel.

grndmstr_c
07-14-2005, 12:23 PM
I would say Damp and James are equalsI'll be honest. I have no idea why you would say such a thing.

DevinHarriswillstart
07-14-2005, 01:02 PM
Yeah I looked up the stats when James went against Damp. Damp pretty much owned the middle against Seattle. Not that this is a bad signing, but its not statiscally close when you compare their careers.

EricaLubarsky
07-14-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c

I would say Damp and James are equalsI'll be honest. I have no idea why you would say such a thing.

consistency, hype mostly and the desire to acquire them

alby
07-14-2005, 01:56 PM
james will be getting 30+ minutes in ny, so naturally his numbers will be better..

mavsman55
07-14-2005, 02:10 PM
If this trade happens, the Knicks have a pretty solid core of players next year.

Marbury
Crawford/Houston
Q-Rich/Hardaway
Tim Thomas/Mo Taylor
Jerome James/That big Croatian dude

There could be more than I'm missing.

alby
07-14-2005, 02:14 PM
If they are starting starbury, crawford, qrich, AND timthomas then they are in trouble..

MavKikiNYC
07-14-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by: mavsman55
If this trade happens, the Knicks have a pretty solid core of players next year.

Marbury
Crawford/Houston
Q-Rich/Hardaway
Tim Thomas/Mo Taylor
Jerome James/That big Croatian dude

There could be more than I'm missing.

Houston is a virtual guarantee to be waived under the amnesty provision. And former Mav Sundov is barely hanging on.

And you're leaving off Mike Sweetney, Trevor Ariza, and Malik Rose, plus their draftees--Frey, the forward from Florida, and the 5.7-5.8 PG from Washington---Nate Robinson.

Marbury MAY be on the block, but will likely stay put.

Not sure all the acquisitions will translate into anything--NYers are likely to be looking at another season or two (at least) of losing b-ball.

Thomas appears to be lying in wait for Larry Brown, which might accelerate success in the short term, but which is cuckolding Herb Williams in the immediate-term.

Hopefully, by the time any of these acquisitions pay off, Thomas will already be fired and cursing the injustice of it all.