PDA

View Full Version : Triangle Offense: Nets-AbdurRahim-Blazers

MavKikiNYC
07-17-2005, 11:55 AM
Slightly interesting account here about how the interests of three different entities get represented and negotiated.

NETS WON'T WAIT FOR SHAREEF

By FRED KERBER
PHOTO MILE'S APART: The Trail Blazers reportedly want Nets second-round draft pick Mile Ilic to be part of any sign-and-trade for Shareef Abdur-Rahim.
Photo: AP

July 15, 2005 -- Trail Blazers free agent Shareef Abdur-Rahim and his agent are willing to wait as long as it takes to find a solution for his future. The Nets won't go that long.

"We can wait until there is a solution," said Abdur-Rahim's agent, Aaron Goodwin, who has received numerous mid-level exception offers for his client.

"We are going about our business. There are other people we have interest in," said Nets team president Rod Thorn, who met with Grizzlies free agent Stromile Swift this week.

The mid-level is for five years, but Goodwin is trying to entice a sixth year that the Nets only can provide if Portland does a sign-and-trade. The Nets need the Blazers to accept a $4.9 million trade exception and a second-round pick. Portland doesn't want the trade exception, which the Nets must use by July 29 or lose. Portland wants a first-round pick or the draft rights to the Nets' second-round pick from last month's draft, Mile Ilic. The Nets are adamant about keeping both. If Abdur-Rahim accepts a mid-level deal, the Blazers will get nothing in return.

The Nets are waiting for Abdur-Rahim to announce they are his choice. But even if the Nets come to an agreement with the Blazers and offer a six-year deal, they have received no guarantee Abdur-Rahim would accept it.

"That would have them halfway there at least," Goodwin said.

So the Nets have investigated landing Swift through a sign-and-trade with Memphis or offering him the mid-level deal.

jayC
07-18-2005, 10:32 AM
But don't the nets have a trade exception that would give them an offer of six years and 38 million dollars.

alby
07-18-2005, 03:23 PM
jason kidd
vince carter
richard jefferson
shareef abdur rahim
nenad krstic

yikes.

EricaLubarsky
07-18-2005, 03:48 PM
yikes indeed. Everyone minus krstic wants to take the shot. A mighty potent offensive team, but there are only so many shots available. Kidd will find the open man but its the law of finite returns.

alby
07-19-2005, 02:37 AM
20-25 shots for vince
15-20 shots for richard
10-15 shots for abdur rahim
5-10 shots for krstic
7-10 shots for kidd

57-80 shots..

i doubt they want that bench taking more than 10 shots total..

doable

poohrichardson
07-19-2005, 10:02 PM
Man, they're probably the most athletic starting 5 in the league.. that fast break TERRIFIES me if I'm not a Nets fan..

alby
07-19-2005, 11:04 PM
you never know with vince carter =\

poohrichardson
07-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by: alby
you never know with vince carter =\

Fair enough... although he played some of the best ball of his career after the trade last season..

MavKikiNYC
07-19-2005, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by: poohrichardson
Man, they're probably the most athletic starting 5 in the league.. that fast break TERRIFIES me if I'm not a Nets fan..

Fast break is gonna be scarce without any defense or rebounds.

Hope they do well, but I don't know how good that mix of talent is gonna be.

alby
07-19-2005, 11:14 PM
Definitely, I am a huge VC fan, i think he has talent to be top 5 (dare i say it of all time), but I really dislike those who take their gifts and natural abilities for granted. I hope he succeeds, I hope the team moves to Brooklyn and it will give VC another jolt of energy. I'm actually pulling for the Nets in the east.

poohrichardson
07-20-2005, 12:01 AM
Nets and Pacers are my favorite Eastern Conf. teams.. they're both looking like they'll be better this year..

alby
07-20-2005, 12:06 AM
how is Indiana better

poohrichardson
07-20-2005, 05:53 PM
Getting the best defensive player in the league back.. not to mention 20/5/5 with 3 steals more often than not.. not losing Stephen Jackson.. not losing Jermaine O'Neal (IMO, a top 10 player in the league)... losing Reggie hurts, but his productivity wasn't exactly at an all-time high either.. he had a few flashback games, but for the most part seemed to struggle to score more than 10 or 12 ppg..

alby
07-20-2005, 06:21 PM
so how are they better from last year and the previous year? its the same lineup minus reggie miller, isnt it? i'm not seeing it.

poohrichardson
07-20-2005, 08:48 PM
I just meant better than last year..

alby
07-20-2005, 10:29 PM
Alright, just wondering. But because of what happened last year, with the suspensions/injuries, should it even be counted?

poohrichardson
07-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by: alby
Alright, just wondering. But because of what happened last year, with the suspensions/injuries, should it even be counted?

Barely.. but that was more or less my point i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

alby
07-20-2005, 11:40 PM
lol i/expressions/anim_roller.gif