PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Comes To Terms With Cavaliers

MavsFanFinley
07-19-2005, 04:35 PM
Marshall Comes To Terms With Cavaliers

By Branson Wright
Plain Dealer Reporter

The Cavaliers continued to bolster their roster by reaching an agreement with free agent power forward Donyell Marshall on Tuesday.

Marshall, according to sources, will sign a four-year deal worth between $20 and $25 million. Marshall, who played in Toronto last season, averages 12.4 points and 7.3 rebounds over his 11-year career.

Marshall, guard Larry Hughes and center Zydrunas Ilgauskas are expected to officially sign free agent contracts with the Cavaliers on Friday, the earliest date free agents can sign with teams.

DevinHarriswillstart
07-19-2005, 05:00 PM
Marshall is underrated. I like him. Good signing for them. I wonder if he'll replace Gooden. I'm not really sure if he is the type of Power guy Ferry was talking about though.

Drbio
07-19-2005, 05:01 PM
I've always liked Marshall. Good for the Cavs.

Misfit Mav
07-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Nice signing... gives them a starting 4 and some pretty good outside shooting. Cleveland will be very good next season.

echo
07-19-2005, 05:54 PM
Very nice signing for the Cavs. Marshall was a guy I wanted to see come here. Thought we could get him and move Van Horn's expiring contract for help elsewhere as Marshall's numbers compare favorbaly to KVH. Donyell is a better rebounder, better shot blocker, and has shot over 40% from 3P range the past three seasons. He can start or come off the bench. Adding Hughes and Marshall really upgrades the Cavs.

alby
07-19-2005, 05:54 PM
Can he not play the 3? I've always thought of him as a three because of his ability to shoot the ball and drive the basket..

echo
07-19-2005, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by: alby
Can he not play the 3? I've always thought of him as a three because of his ability to shoot the ball and drive the basket..

He can play 3 or 4. Whether he starts over Gooden or comes off the bench remains to be seen, but he will get 30 minutes a game regardless. Since Hughes isn't much of a 3P shooter, he is a great compliment to that signing.

alby
07-19-2005, 05:58 PM
So why can't they play Hughes, Lebron, Marshall, Gooden, Z as the starting lineup?

echo
07-19-2005, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by: alby
So why can't they play Hughes, Lebron, Marshall, Gooden, Z as the starting lineup?

I guess they could although Hughes isn't a pure PG. Bron can play anywhere!! He's that good. Unless they sign Jaric, I anticipate Snow starting at PG and either Marshall or Gooden coming off the bench for scoring.

SeriousSummer
07-19-2005, 10:19 PM
Cleveland still might try to trade Gooden +? for a true point.

alby
07-19-2005, 11:03 PM
would gooden be that athletic big guy we need?

Nash13
07-20-2005, 01:37 AM
Alby- No. They're talking about trying to get rid of him b/c they don't think he's a good defender. And even if he was, He can't play the 5. He's like Marshall, a 3 or 4 player.

I think now that the Cavs will go as far as Lebron can carry them.

alby
07-20-2005, 10:19 AM
They should finish between 4th place to 7th place in the east this year.