PDA

View Full Version : Jasikevicius signs with the Pacers

rakesh.s
07-24-2005, 10:51 PM
According to BSPN,

See here (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2115697)

Lithuanian basketball star and former Maryland guard Sarunas Jasikevicius has agreed to a three-year free agent deal with the Indiana Pacers, a source told ESPN Radio's Doug Gottlieb on Sunday.

The signing will become official after the NBA free-agent signing moratorium is lifted on July 28.

Jasikevicius, who won a gold medal at the 2003 European Championships and a bronze medal at the 2000 Olympic Games, chose the Pacers over the Portland Trail Blazers, Utah Jazz, Cleveland Cavaliers and Seattle SuperSonics. Jasikevicius is said to truly respect coach Rick Carlisle and the entire Indiana organization.

Jasikevicius, who played collegiately at Maryland from 1994-'98, most recently played for Maccabi Tel Aviv from 2003-2005 and F.C. Barcelona from 2000-2003. He has been the point guard for the last three Euroleague champions.

Am I missing something here? There are a handful of teams that this guy could've started for. He signs with the Pacers, who already have Tinsley? Is he already content being the backup and collecting his $10 mill?

dirno2000
07-25-2005, 12:08 AM
That's a good situatuon for him...Tinsley is pretty fragile

If I were Cleveland I'd make a run at Damon Jones. With Labon handling and distributing the ball, they need a point guard who can spot up and knock down the open three.

Nash13
07-25-2005, 12:36 AM
This probably means Tinsley is on his way out b/c the Pacers, although good, aren't the best team he could've chosen, which means he'll probably start.

Could this potentially mean Tinsley to Dallas as part of a Finley deal?

bgantz
07-25-2005, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by: Nash13
This probably means Tinsley is on his way out b/c the Pacers, although good, aren't the best team he could've chosen, which means he'll probably start.

i hope not, tinsley is ok...but it seems like every offseason the pacers talk about upgrading at point guard. they haven't been satisfied with him. he makes some solid plays, and then commits a costly error. i'mhonestly not sure he's better than terry.

akaarod03
07-25-2005, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by: Nash13

Let's say we trade Devin, KVB, and Stackhouse to Boston for Pierce and Lafrentz (Fair deal right?)

If we trade Finley for Tinsley and Croshere...I would be ecstatic.

Our lineup...

Nowitzki Powell
Howard Croshere
Dampier Lafrentz
Pierce Daniels
Terry Tinsley

Benga, P-Pod round out the rest of the bench.

And oh yeah...we still have our MLE to spend.

Arne
07-25-2005, 01:39 AM
Hello? Tinsley not that good?

He's easily a better defender than Terry, much more physical and put up 15.4 PPG, 6.4 APG, 4 RPG and 2 SPG last season and all that in only 32.5 MPG.

With his defense he's the perfect point guard for AJ. I definetely like him better than Jaric, who averaged 9.9 PPG, 6.1 APG, 3.2 RPG and 1.68 SPG in 33.1 MPG.

bgantz
07-25-2005, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by: Arne

He's easily a better defender than Terry, much more physical and put up 15.4 PPG, 6.4 APG, 4 RPG and 2 SPG last season and all that in only 32.5 MPG.

With his defense he's the perfect point guard for AJ. I definetely like him better than Jaric, who averaged 9.9 PPG, 6.1 APG, 3.2 RPG and 1.68 SPG in 33.1 MPG.

If you are a fan of tinsley then that's fine, but I'm not. I don't question his defensive abilities, but last year was the ONLY year he averaged more than 10 points in a season. Plus he missed half his games due to injuries, and he only played 52 games the year before. You mentioned his stats above, but looking at terry's: (12.4 ppg, 5.4 apg, and 2.4 rpg ) they aren't even THAT far off, and that's with terry averaging 30 mins per game and not being a "true" point guard. Plus dallas' lineup has many more scoring options than the pacers. I've read lots of times on the pacer's message board, and half the fans want to keep tinsley, and half of them want him out. I guess he polarizes people. I've got family in Indy and I had a chance to go to a game last year, and he was average at best like the rest of the times I've had a chance to catch a pacer game on tv. He forces a lot of shots, including 3's where he shoots 37% compared to terry's 42%, and he only shoots 41% from the field period. Terry shot 50% last year. He reminds me a lot of eric snow, who besides defensively, I've never liked much either.

bgantz
07-25-2005, 03:13 AM
But I will be more fair. If he actually came to dallas, I would give him a fair chance and maybe if avery could harnass him a bit, he would work out. If he could just run the offense effectively, he would be ok. I just wonder what you do with terry then, I guess he moves to the 2, but then you have stackhouse and daniels behind him and that's a huge logjam.

jthig32
07-25-2005, 08:36 AM
Tinsley is the anti-Terry at the point.

He's a very good passer, very good at getting teamates involved....however he can't knock down a three to save his life. He gets most of his points off layups, which is fine if you have a good shooting team, like the Pacers generally have.

Also, Tinsley will lose his head on you very easily. He gets way out of control at times and just completely loses it. Add that to his injury history..I dunno. I would love to have a more natural PG though.

alby
07-25-2005, 10:24 AM
no tinsley

i want to keep a much hungrier terry and a much improvied (?) harris

Stressboy
07-25-2005, 10:52 AM
If the Pacers really are on the out with Tinsley(I have no idea but they could be regretting his new contract), then I can see a Finley/Harris for Tinsley/Croshere(or/Pollard(or Reggie) deal. They would still get to waive bender, the money with Tinsley/Croshere/Pollard would be close to equal to Finley/Harris. They would have

Saraunus/Johnson/Harris(to develop)
Jackson/Fred Jones
Artest/Finley/Granger
Oneil/Dale Davis(??)
Foster/Harrison

Tinsley is BYC so I don't know how you could get that to work.

I like Harris, I think he might be really really good, but Tinsley is more what we need right now to win and if we could get that kind of talent and save the money we need to save for Fin, then it is a good move. It is also a pretty good move for them if they don't want Tinsley long term and signing the Lituanian PG looks like Bird might be thinking that but who knows.

Arne
07-25-2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by: jthig32
Tinsley is the anti-Terry at the point.

He's a very good passer, very good at getting teamates involved....however he can't knock down a three to save his life. He gets most of his points off layups, which is fine if you have a good shooting team, like the Pacers generally have.

I would love to have a more natural PG though.

Wtf...what are you talking about...?

First you call him a very good passser, good at getting his teammates involved and then you want a more natural point guard. Secondly you say he can't knock down the three... He averaged 37.2% from beyond the arc, while shooting 160 Threes in only 40 games.

Arne
07-25-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by: bgantz

Originally posted by: Arne

If you are a fan of tinsley then that's fine, but I'm not. I don't question his defensive abilities, but last year was the ONLY year he averaged more than 10 points in a season. Plus he missed half his games due to injuries, and he only played 52 games the year before. You mentioned his stats above, but looking at terry's: (12.4 ppg, 5.4 apg, and 2.4 rpg ) they aren't even THAT far off, and that's with terry averaging 30 mins per game and not being a "true" point guard. Plus dallas' lineup has many more scoring options than the pacers. I've read lots of times on the pacer's message board, and half the fans want to keep tinsley, and half of them want him out. I guess he polarizes people. I've got family in Indy and I had a chance to go to a game last year, and he was average at best like the rest of the times I've had a chance to catch a pacer game on tv. He forces a lot of shots, including 3's where he shoots 37% compared to terry's 42%, and he only shoots 41% from the field period. Terry shot 50% last year. He reminds me a lot of eric snow, who besides defensively, I've never liked much either.

Why do you think Tinsley's low FG-percentage comes from? There was a time when Oneil, Jackson and Artest were suspended and he had to take all the shots! And that plus his 3pt-shot, which he improved big time during the last two summers is the reason why he averaged more then 10 PPG for the first time. But he's everything we want in our PG:

He can knock down the 3-pointer (his percentage will even rise when he only has to shoot mostly the wide-open ones like Terry this year), he is one of the best PG-defenders who can even defend SGs at times due to his good physical status and he's more of a pass first point guard and you shouldn't forget that he averaged 8.1 APG and 7.5 APG in his first two season while only commiting 3.3 and 2.6 TPG and playing only 30 MPG.

Look, the thing is that you won't find a player that can pass and defend like him out there at the moment! And with Finley being gone almost for sure, we have to find someone at the point in order to move Terry to the 2 spot for some time.

bgantz
07-25-2005, 01:40 PM
Why do you think Tinsley's low FG-percentage comes from? There was a time when Oneil, Jackson and Artest were suspended and he had to take all the shots! And that plus his 3pt-shot, which he improved big time during the last two summers is the reason why he averaged more then 10 PPG for the first time. But he's everything we want in our PG:

He can knock down the 3-pointer (his percentage will even rise when he only has to shoot mostly the wide-open ones like Terry this year), he is one of the best PG-defenders who can even defend SGs at times due to his good physical status and he's more of a pass first point guard and you shouldn't forget that he averaged 8.1 APG and 7.5 APG in his first two season while only commiting 3.3 and 2.6 TPG and playing only 30 MPG.

Look, the thing is that you won't find a player that can pass and defend like him out there at the moment! And with Finley being gone almost for sure, we have to find someone at the point in order to move Terry to the 2 spot for some time.[/quote]

Yes, you are right that those 3 players missed a large amount of games due to the brawl. But like I said above, Tinsley missed 40 games himself due to injury. So it's not like he was there all season to carry the team or anything. And I don't really agree that he's a pass-first point guard either. I see him many times take the ball into the offensive zone, and be the only pacer who touches the ball when he shoots. I hate when players do that, and of the mavs, stackhouse is really the only one who is horribly guilty of that. It drives me nuts when stackhouse does that.

birdsanctuary
07-25-2005, 01:55 PM
The Pacers are the team to beat in the East!

jthig32
07-25-2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by: ArneWtf...what are you talking about...?

First you call him a very good passser, good at getting his teammates involved and then you want a more natural point guard. Secondly you say he can't knock down the three... He averaged 37.2% from beyond the arc, while shooting 160 Threes in only 40 games.

I want a more natural PG than TERRY. That's who I was referring to.

As far as Tinsley goes, sure his 3PT % has gotten better. Perhaps I should have said he can't knock down a jumper in general.

I also think you're FAR overstating his defensive prowess.

I don't know how many Pacer games you've watched over the years, but I've mentioned before that I'm a huge Reggie fan, and the Pacers were my adopted team over the past 7 years or so when the Mavs weren't playing. I watched a ton of Pacer games over that time. I've seen plenty of Tinsley. He does have some things I want in a PG. Like I said he's a very good passer. However I fee he loses his head too much to be the dependable starting PG, and I think you're greatly overstating his defensive abilities. However, I can't say I'd be against getting him in here.

bgantz
07-25-2005, 03:25 PM
I've watched several times where Tinsley would often make a huge mistake in the closing minutes of a game when he needs to make the correct play. I can't recall the situation, but it seems like in the playoffs 2 years ago he took a shot in the final minute way too early in the shot clock when the pacers were losing, and compounded the matters by fouling when the team had no fouls left and they were just a defensive stand away from getting a shot at the win.