PDA

View Full Version : 3 team trade involving JWill, Miami coming soon?

MavsFanFinley
07-31-2005, 12:05 PM
Griz eye Stoudamire
With Williams likely on way out, team seeking replacement

By Ronald Tillery/Memphis Commercial Appeal

If everything goes according to the Grizzlies' summer plan, Jason Williams no longer will be their main man.

The point guard is close to being traded in a three-team deal that would include Miami, according to an NBA source familiar with the Grizzlies' dealings. It is not known where Williams would land in the proposed deal.

Griz president Jerry West already has Williams's replacement in the starting lineup on the radar.

Although Damon Stoudamire is atop the Grizzlies' wish list, West downplayed a Houston Chronicle report that the Griz and Stoudamire have agreed on a four-year, $17 million contract.

"We have interest," West said Saturday. "We're exploring a lot of options, and he's not the only one. We have interest in a lot of people."

West has aggressively shopped Williams and is prepared to lose Earl Watson after agreeing to trade Bonzi Wells and watching Stromile Swift sign a free-agent deal with Houston.

The Griz intend to send Wells to Sacramento and receive veteran guard Bobby Jackson (along with three players from Utah) when the league's moratorium ends this week.

Undoubtedly, the Griz would have to move Williams and the more than $25 million left on his contract before signing Stoudamire. If not, they risk having to pay the league's luxury tax.

Stoudamire's agent, Aaron Goodwin, confirmed that he began discussing a potential deal with the Grizzlies once negotiations with the Houston Rockets fell apart.

"But it's just conversation at this point," Goodwin said when asked about a reported Grizzly contract that would start at less than the midlevel exception or about $4 million.

Stoudamire, 31, played for Portland last season, and averaged 15.8 points and 5.7 assists. He would add leadership and clutch play to a Grizzlies team that is lacking in those areas.

A Grizzly insider also confirmed that the team has stepped up its intent to do more than tweak the roster. The consensus after recent internal discussions is that the Grizzlies' roster of the past two seasons went as far as it could in the Western Conference standings.

The goal is to improve while remaining a playoff team that doesn't pay the luxury tax. The Griz want to create financial flexibility moving forward as they consider potential deals.

jayC
07-31-2005, 03:27 PM
Stoudamire and BJax is an upgrade from Jwill and Watson. James Posey is a similar player to Wells so it works for them.

I hope the mavs don't get white choclate. Unless we are getting L Wright in return.

MavsFanFinley
07-31-2005, 06:40 PM
I was scanning the Memphis and Miami boards this morning and the fans were speculating that Boston is the 3rd team. JWill to Boston, Walker s/t to Miami and Miami sending something to Memphis.

rakesh.s
07-31-2005, 07:32 PM
makes no sense for boston

they have delonte west and banks already....they should've done a lot more damage in the playoffs last year, but they just faltered.. Why take on a head case?? He's not going to bring leadership

snoop
08-02-2005, 12:43 AM
yeah I dont think PP will help make J-will More maturei/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

HexNBA
08-02-2005, 10:36 AM
Jason Williams is going to Miami according to the Miami papers.

bob_sacamento
08-02-2005, 05:16 PM
From RealGM:

The Miami Heat , Memphis Grizzlies and Boston Celtics have reached a tentative agreement on a three-team trade according to an NBA source close to the negotiations who spoke with DraftExpress.comís Jonathan Givony.

The Miami Heat will receive Antoine Walker via a sign-and-trade from Boston, as well as Jason Williams and James Posey from the Grizzlies.

The Grizzlies will receive Eddie Jones from Miami and Marcus Banks from Boston.

The Celtics will receive Earl Watson via a sign-and-trade from Memphis, as well as Dorrell Wright or Miamiís trade exception.

Watsonís inclusion in the trade is a new twist to the deal, satisfying their need for a starting point guard. He will reportedly receive the mid level exception.

Report written by RealGM's Christopher Reina

MavsFanFinley
08-02-2005, 05:29 PM
The Heat still have the MLE, right?

Pongo
08-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Darn, great trade for the heat!

Windmill360
08-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Monster 5 Team Deal?
2nd August, 2005 - 6:13 pm
Hoopsworld - Hoopsworld.com is reporting that a major five-team deal could be brewing in the NBA. Other reports have the deal being reduced to four, while some have it going as high as six.

Deals as big as these are very complicated to complete in the NBA, and can take days, weeks, or can even fall apart at the twilight hours.

It's been widely rumored that Miami is tryng to acquire both Jason Williams and Antoine Walker. The Memphis Grizzlies already have a deal reportedly in place with Utah sending Greg Ostertag back home to the Jazz for Curtis Borchardt, Kirk Snyder and Raul Lopez.

The monster deal is said to expand the Memphis/Utah deal with Eddie Jones, Rasual Butler and possibly Michael Doleac leaving the Heat to various destinations. The Heat would get back Williams, Walker and small forward James Posey. The additional teams are said to be the New Orleans Hornets and Boston Celtics , though the exact list of players being swapped is unclear. But, it is believed that Butler, Borchardt, Snyder, Lopez, Doleac and picks might be split between the Hornets and Celtics; both of whom are rebuilding through youth.

Read (http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/36868/20050802/monster_5_team_deal/)

Nash13
08-02-2005, 05:53 PM
Jerry West lost some serious cool points with me. He trades Watson/Williams/Posey for Jones and Banks?

mavs413
08-02-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley

Wade/Williams
Finley/Woods
Posey/Butler
Walker/Haslem
O'Neal/Mourning

That team wins the East so damn easy.

MavsFanFinley
08-02-2005, 06:30 PM
This is a better break down of the trade. Imagine if the Heat land Finley for the MLE.

J-Will deal nearly done
Complicated transaction expected to send guard to Miami

By Ronald Tillery
Memphis Commercial Appeal
August 2, 2005

Point guard Jason Williams resides in Orlando during the offseason.

He wonít have far to travel when NBA training camps begin in October.

The Grizzlies are among the teams in a five-team deal that would send Williams, James Posey and Andre Emmett to the Miami Heat for swingman Eddie Jones, The Commercial Appeal has learned.

With league approval and the completion of a sign-and-trade deal that will ship Antoine Walker from Boston to Miami, the complicated transaction could be announced as soon as Wednesday morning, several NBA sources confirmed.

Boston, Utah and New Orleans are the other teams involved.

The breakdown is as follows:

∑ Memphis would receive Jones, who is scheduled to earn more than $30 million over the next two seasons.

∑ Miami would get Williams, Posey, Emmett and Walker.

∑ Utah would receive Greg Ostertag from Memphis, which acquired him Ė along with Bobby Jackson -- in a separate deal fro Bonzi Wells.

∑ New Orleans would get Utahís Kirk Snyder and Miamiís Rasual Butler.

∑ Boston would receive Curtis Borchardt (Utah), Qyntel Woods (Miami -- and Carver High School in Memphis) and the Heatís $1.9 million trade exception as well as draft picks.

V2M
08-02-2005, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by: mavs413

Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley

Wade/Williams
Finley/Woods
Posey/Butler
Walker/Haslem
O'Neal/Mourning

That team wins the East so damn easy.

Even without Finley, who I don't think will end up with the Heat, they're an extremely scary team. I'd put them as the early favorites to win it all.

chumdawg
08-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Remember that Fin and Walker are good buddies. And didn't I read this morning that Fin's camp is saying Miami is his preferred destination? Makes perfect sense to me. If you can't beat Shaq, join him. What a perfect way for the Findawg to end his career, riding off into the sunset on the shoulders of the Big Diesel.

If the Heat pull this trade off and then add Mike Finley, I am getting League Pass or whatever it is...like, tomorrow.

V2M
08-02-2005, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Remember that Fin and Walker are good buddies. And didn't I read this morning that Fin's camp is saying Miami is his preferred destination? Makes perfect sense to me. If you can't beat Shaq, join him. What a perfect way for the Findawg to end his career, riding off into the sunset on the shoulders of the Big Diesel.

If the Heat pull this trade off and then add Mike Finley, I am getting League Pass or whatever it is...like, tomorrow.

I'm sure given a choice Miami would be one of the top 3 places that Fin would like to play next year. Yet, I doubt if he'd be given that choice for one. Secondly, I suspect it's a bluff from Fin's agent to make the Mavs think that he's not interested in joining SA, Houston or PHX, so as to entice 'em to actually waive him and not go for a trade.

Misfit Mav
08-02-2005, 07:30 PM
Miami's certainly loaded, but they've added two turnover-prone volume-shooters in Walker and JWill. I would still pick the Pistons in the East, and the Spurs overall.

chumdawg
08-02-2005, 07:40 PM
How in the good hell does Walker get six freakin' years and $52MM? Whoa...

rakesh.s
08-02-2005, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by: Misfit Mav
Miami's certainly loaded, but they've added two turnover-prone volume-shooters in Walker and JWill. I would still pick the Pistons in the East, and the Spurs overall.

I'll take Indiana, provided Ron Artest doesn't try and beat the hell out of someone

How in the good hell does Walker get six freakin' years and $52MM? Whoa...

He's pretty close to a 20,10 guy and is under 30 years of age...His passing from the power forward position is probably second only to Webber and Garnett.

6 years, 52 mill is about what he should've been making the last 7 years as well...Fair deal if you ask me.

cheesestar
08-02-2005, 10:21 PM
what a trade, i lost track after the 5th player

talentwise, it seems like miami got a lot but im not too sure. jwill and walker are known headaches.

Joey
08-02-2005, 10:34 PM
Seems to me that Shaq and Wade deserve the ball in their hands...J-Dub will shoot and so will Tione. How many balls can be played with in a single game?Are there going to be enough?

dirno2000
08-02-2005, 10:44 PM
This is further proof of the genius of Pat Riley...instead of firing Van Gundy, a PR nightmare, he trades for two coach killers...

chumdawg
08-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Interesting take, D2K. Very interesting.

Myself, I've always believed in Employee #8. He just needs to find the right situation. One thing is for sure: he's never played with a big like The Daddy. He might become just what they need.

Dangit, I'm already interested in the Heat. Even if they don't acquire Finley. They may be my new favorite team. If the Mavs don't get something done, that is.

rakesh.s
08-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by: dirno2000
This is further proof of the genius of Pat Riley...instead of firing Van Gundy, a PR nightmare, he trades for two coach killers...

Yeah, they were insinuating this very same conspiracy theory on PTI today

EricaLubarsky
08-02-2005, 11:00 PM
I'm personally a fan of the Dallas Mavericks.

Thespiralgoeson
08-02-2005, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by: Joey
Seems to me that Shaq and Wade deserve the ball in their hands...J-Dub will shoot and so will Tione. How many balls can be played with in a single game?Are there going to be enough?

That's silly. Shaq/Wade/Walker could be an absolutely lethal combination. The 4/5 tandem of Shaq and walker would be the best passing frontcourt in the NBA and would average more assists than most backcourts. It really reminds me of Webber/Divac/Miller in Sacramento. Not to mention that if it weren't for LeBron, we'd be talking about Wade being the second coming of MJ. I pick that team to win it all; they'd beat Detroit in 6.

chumdawg
08-02-2005, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
I'm personally a fan of the Dallas Mavericks.More and more often I find myself being a fan of *former* Dallas Mavericks.

Joey
08-03-2005, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by: Thespiralgoeson

That's silly. Shaq/Wade/Walker could be an absolutely lethal combination. The 4/5 tandem of Shaq and walker would be the best passing frontcourt in the NBA and would average more assists than most backcourts. It really reminds me of Webber/Divac/Miller in Sacramento. Not to mention that if it weren't for LeBron, we'd be talking about Wade being the second coming of MJ. I pick that team to win it all; they'd beat Detroit in 6.

Detroit in six...maybe. SA in 7 no way. But the problem is still that you have 4 guys that want the ball and three of them that shoot when they get it. There is a reason that toine didn't work here. There is a reason that so many on this board soundly state that J-Dub would be a nightmare here (let alone Starbury or Franchise). Wade is awesome. Shaq is the man. But this addition of Toine and J-Dub just doesn't seem to fit. Granted, in a perfect world there would be happiness and harmony among them all and they will win a championship, but in a perfect world a lineup of Nash, Finley, Jamison, Toine, and Dirk would have won as well...

Thespiralgoeson
08-03-2005, 08:54 AM
Granted, in a perfect world there would be happiness and harmony among them all and they will win a championship, but in a perfect world a lineup of Nash, Finley, Jamison, Toine, and Dirk would have won as well...

Dirk at center? That lineup was doomed to fail from day 1. No defense, no center, and offensive talents that all played the same position. I dunno about Williams, but Walker shouldn't be a problem. He might not have liked being the 2nd option to Pierce and Dirk, but it's Shaquille O'neal we're talking about here.