PDA

View Full Version : Calvin Booth Released

madape
08-01-2005, 11:36 AM
Booth to be released
According to the reliable Gerry Woelfel, the Bucks have decided to release Calvin Booth. The Bucks will take advantage of the one-time “Allan Houston Rule,” which allows teams to cut one player before August 15th without having to pay luxury tax on their salary. Hopefully this is a sign that the Bucks believe they can bring back Zaza Pachulia, however, don’t read too much into it. This is a great one-time offer to get rid of a horrible contract, and the Bucks want to benefit from it.

EricaLubarsky
08-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Maybe we can sign him to be our clutch performer.

V2M
08-01-2005, 12:28 PM
If we get him back for a veteran min contract, it means we got KVH and his expiring contract for practically "nothing". i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

I'd still want a backup center (Hunter, DD or Deke, etc.) but having Booth and his 6 fouls as an injury insurance ain't too bad.

dalmations202
08-01-2005, 12:35 PM
We have DJ and PPod for emergency 6 foul situations. IMO, he just doesn't fit the Mavs team anymore. Now with Avery, who knows.

madape
08-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Booth couldn't have been much worse than Erick Dampier in last year's playoffs.

EricaLubarsky
08-01-2005, 12:38 PM
Just to make it clear: I have no interest in him whatsoever. I just thought this was kinda funny. We traded Laettner, Etan Thomas, Hubert Davis, Courtney Alexander and cash for him and Juwan Howard. He was our playoff star for about a minute. Seattle picked him up and we dumped the baked potato on Seattle to re-acquire him. Then we traded him away for KVH, and now Milwaukie is dumping him. Now Juwan Howard is out with a heart ailment, Laettner was a Maverick for 60 days last year, and Hubert Davis is back as a coach.

actually that is kinda sad.

V2M
08-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by: dalmations202
We have DJ and PPod for emergency 6 foul situations. IMO, he just doesn't fit the Mavs team anymore. Now with Avery, who knows.

DJ is obviously intriguing and I hope we give him enough PT to get him ready for the playoffs. Pavel needs to spend a year or two in the NBDL.

As for Booth, he's 29yrs old, 6'11", can block shots and play some defense. At vet min, there aren't too many biggies who are better than him. I didn't say he'd be our primary backup. But given Damp's injury problems and DJ's raw skills, it doesn't hurt to have a veteran biggie for a min contract as an insurance.

Drbio
08-01-2005, 01:41 PM
I have no interest in Booth ever again.....I wish him well, I just wish him well somewhere else.

Arne
08-01-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by: madape

...embarrasing...

snoop
08-02-2005, 12:39 AM
I dont want booth but i was impressed with his mid range shot last year

Thespiralgoeson
08-02-2005, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by: madape

Madape, honestly, shut up. Dampier was disappointing, of course, but that was because he was inconsistent. He was a non-factor for most of the Houston series, but did come up in a few clutch situations that indeed helped us win the series. Against Phoenix it was like night and day... Game 1, 0 points, 6 rebounds (or something like that) Game 2, 15 pts 12 reb... Game 3, 4 pts 4 reb... Game 4, 13 pts 11 reb... Game 5, 2 pts 14 reb... Game 6, 13 pts 6 reb...

Ok, lets go over that one, just to be clear. In that series which ended in 6 games, he had two double-doubles. Another game when he had double digit points, and another game when he had double digit rebounds... Overall, two bad games, two great games (by standards for centers in the NBA today, 15 & 12 and 13 & 11 are great games) and two good-but-not-great games. That's better than most centers would've done against Amare, certainly better than Swift and Mohammed did. And you say "Booth couldn't have been much worse than Erick Dampier in last year's playoffs" Give me a f*cking break. If Booth hadn't been traded, I would have been very pleasantly surprised if he'd had even one game where he had as much 4 points and 4 rebounds (a piss poor game by Dampier's standards) And I would've been down-right giddy if Booth had had so much as one double-double. Seriously, we had the guy for 50 or so games, in which he had one good game. Granted, it was against Phoenix, but still, one out of fifty... Dampier, like most centers, is inconsistent. But at the very least he has what could be considered a good game about half of the time. Booth, on the other hand, is one of the most consistent players in the NBA; he's consistently a non-factor. "Couldn't have been much worse" indeed...

DevinHarriswillstart
08-02-2005, 09:27 AM
Booth was never played here last year. Hard to be hard on a guy who didn't play.

Thespiralgoeson
08-02-2005, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by: DevinHarriswillstart
Booth was never played here last year. Hard to be hard on a guy who didn't play.

Bull honkey. You know, when players don't get any minutes, there's usually a reason for that. Booth didn't get any minutes, because whenever he did, he produced a whole lotta nothing. Honestly, the man looked absolutely lost on the court, like he had no idea what he was supposed to do. So no, it's not that hard to be hard on a guy who didn't play.