PDA

View Full Version : 5 team mega trade

TomThaMavsFan
08-02-2005, 10:57 PM
MIAMI -- In the largest trade in NBA history, Antoine Walker was dealt from Boston to Miami on Tuesday night in a transaction involving five teams and 13 players.

The Heat also acquired point guard Jason Williams and small forward James Posey from Memphis, while the Grizzlies received guard Eddie Jones from the Heat. The New Orleans Hornets and Utah Jazz were also involved in the deal.

The trade was larger than a 12-player, four-team deal in 2000 involving Patrick Ewing that had been the biggest in league history.

Miami also received Andre Emmett from Memphis and the draft rights to Roberto Duenas of Spain from the Hornets; Utah received Greg Ostertag from Memphis; Boston picked up Curtis Borchardt from Utah and a package -- Qyntel Woods, the draft rights to Spanish center Albert Miralles, two second-round draft picks and cash -- from Miami; New Orleans acquired Rasual Butler from Miami and Kirk Snyder from Utah; and the Grizzlies received guard Raul Lopez from the Jazz
linkage (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2122976)

MrCheerios
08-02-2005, 11:48 PM
Give Miami the trophy right now. They still have the MLE, which they can use to resign Damon Jones. They keep their core, they keep their depth. They get three talented players for eddie jone's bloated contract and two second round picks. Simien is there in case Walker is a cancer. Their bench has more talent than most starting lineups. What the hell is Jerry West thinking?

snoop
08-02-2005, 11:55 PM
no one destroys a contender like walker

Thespiralgoeson
08-03-2005, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by: snoop

nonsense. Boston has benefitted greatly from having him back, but they're going with youth now. The only reason he messed up things here was because he played the same position as Dirk and Jamison. Shaq and Walker are both wicked passers for their positions, that's gonna be a deadly combo.

poohrichardson
08-03-2005, 12:29 AM
I still think Indiana is the best in the East.. because unlike Miami, they have a team full of guys that enjoy playing defense.

Thespiralgoeson
08-03-2005, 12:35 AM
Now that they've traded Walker, does anyone else think there's a better chance that they could be shopping Pierce?

echo
08-03-2005, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by: Thespiralgoeson
Now that they've traded Walker, does anyone else think there's a better chance that they could be shopping Pierce?

I don't think the Celts seriously considered bring back Walker so I don't know that it affects Pierce at all. That said they have to be seriously considering moving him as they are a long way from competing in the East. Without the trade for Walker they don't make the playoffs last season. I don't see them as a playoff team with Pierce, so I think the smart thing for them to do is move Pierce and a bad contract (Raef or Blount) for the best combination of expiring contracts, young talent and draft picks they can get. I think Dallas has a shot, but I'm sure lots of teams will make offers for Pierce. I can see Boston waiting until the deadline too.

Thespiralgoeson
08-03-2005, 12:51 AM
Pierce's phenominal talent is being wasted in Boston, and I'm sure he knows that. I can't imagine he'd want to stay there any longer.

DevinHarriswillstart
08-03-2005, 12:59 AM
Mahahahaha Walker AND Williams, the two biggest cancers in the league, to Miami, mahahahahahahahaahahaha, Even better, if Shaq gets injured, you might as well swim with the sharks in the big M.

dirno2000
08-03-2005, 02:15 AM
I don't think Walker or J-will will be problems in Miami...that's Shaq's team and they all know it...if they don't they will shortly.

Antoine has never played on a team where he hasn't been the dominant personality. That's not to knock any of our players, Walker is just a strong personality on and off the court and as Danny Ainge said when he traded him the first time, that's not always a good thing. Well Shaq is used to dealing with players who don't know their place. If Toine can't make it work in Miami, there's no hope for him.

madape
08-03-2005, 08:08 AM
Jesus, that's an insane deal for Miami. Chalk them up as title favorites. wow!

MavKikiNYC
08-03-2005, 08:56 AM
I'd like to watch Shaq and Walker in a FT shooting competition.

jthig32
08-03-2005, 09:18 AM
Has Memphis' other trade, with Sacramento, been made official yet? Isn't that the only way they could have traded Ostertag already?

madape
08-03-2005, 09:25 AM
The breakdown is as follows:

Memphis will receive Jones, who is scheduled to earn more than $30 million over the next two seasons, and Utah's Raul Lopez, who will not suit up for the Griz after having his contract bought out as a condition of the trade.

Miami will get Williams, Posey, Emmett and Antoine Walker, who agreed to a six-year, $52 million sign-and-trade deal.

Utah will receive Ostertag.

New Orleans will get Utah's Kirk Snyder and Miami's Rasual Butler without losing players because it has money under the salary cap.

Boston will receive Curtis Borchardt (Utah), Qyntel Woods (Miami -- and Carver High School in Memphis) and Miami's $1.9 million trade exception as well as the rights to the Heat's 2004 second-round pick Albert Miralles and two more future second-round picks.

The Grizzlies also received a $4.9 million trade exception by convincing Utah to participate in the larger deal. That money can't be spent on a free agent but it could be used in a trade to acquire a player during a specific time fram

mavsman55
08-03-2005, 09:30 AM
Did Miami even need Jason Williams? They already have Wade, it seems like he'd be a waste of money. I'm not sure how he'll take to being a backup.

jayC
08-03-2005, 09:49 AM
Wade played shooting guard with Damon Jones as the pg.

Williams
Wade
Posey
Walker
Shaq

Wow, this team keeps improving every offseason. While Walker is a horrible shooter. He is a good passer and can get to the rim when he wants to. Although I am not sure signing Shaq to a 5 year 100 million dollar deal was a wise move. Only Elgin Baylor avgd. 20 ppg and 10 rbpg when he turned 35

LRB
08-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
I'd like to watch Shaq and Walker in a FT shooting competition.

That would be close, but I don't think that walker could give Shaq much competition in a 3pt shooting contest.

alby
08-03-2005, 10:27 AM
The team, the ending.. it's too storybook-ish, which seems like it rarely happens. just look back two years ago, four future hall of famers, its just too good to be true.

If they lose Damon Jones in addition to the loss of Eddie Jones and Rasual Butler, they will lose 3 legitimate outside shooters who consitently made teams pay last year when they double/triple teamed Shaq in the post. Jason Williams isn't going to make them pay. Antoine Walker isn't going to make them pay. Will Posey get any minutes playing behind Wade? The players they acquired all need the ball in his hands, will there be enough basketball to go around?

Big Boy Laroux
08-03-2005, 10:40 AM
ok, so this is on the heels of this deal (that was rumored to be a 3-way deal with Sac, memphis, and Utah... ended up being just Sac and Memphis):

Grizz and Kings Trade (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-three-teamtrade&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Kings Received:
Bonzi Wells (from Memphis)

Grizzlies Received:
Bobby Jackson (from Sacramento)
Greg Ostertag (from Sacramento)

Now the huge 5-team trade

Heat Get:
Antoine Walker (from Boston)
Jason Williams (from Memphis)
James Posey (from Memphis)
Andre Emmett (from Memphis)
Roberto Duenas (his rights) (from New Orleans)

Grizzlies Get:
Eddie Jones (from Miami)
Raul Lopez (from Utah)

Jazz Get:
Greg Ostertag (from Memphis)

Hornets Get:
Rasual Butler (from Miami)
Kirk Snyder (from Utah)

Celtics Get:
Curtis Borchardt (from Utah)
Qyntel Woods (and his pitbulls) (from Miami)
Albert Miralles (his rights) (from Miami)
2 Second Round Picks (from Miami)
Cash (from Miami)

Quite a deal. Miami obviously gets the better players (i like posey). Memphis is planning to go with a backcourt of jackson and jones, i guess. Boston makes room for their young guys, especially Al Jefferson. Hornets pick up snyder (i like him, too). again, the jazz have to be doing this for get back an expiring contract. i know snyder and sloan didn't get along, but neither did ostertag and sloan.

FilthyFinMavs
08-03-2005, 12:14 PM
WTF? Why are teams helping out the Heat? All they do is fill in holes with this deal. Every single player they got back they needed. I guess this is what happens when Shaq is your starting 5. Damn that's a ridiculous deal for the Heat. JWill and Wade in the backcourt is gonna be serious.

LRB
08-03-2005, 12:27 PM
Will Posey get any minutes playing behind Wade?

Posey will most likely play along side Wade at the 3.

rakesh.s
08-03-2005, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
WTF? Why are teams helping out the Heat? All they do is fill in holes with this deal. Every single player they got back they needed. I guess this is what happens when Shaq is your starting 5. Damn that's a ridiculous deal for the Heat. JWill and Wade in the backcourt is gonna be serious.

It's just like when Atlanta gave Rasheed away to the pistons...pretty crazy. They could've held on to him and let his deal expire instead of trading for players they didn't need.

Shaq is going to collect his $20 mill checks and just chill....I don't think he's ever going to average 25 ppg again. With the addition of these scorers and playmakers, shaq probably will coast through the regular season.

I can't believe memphis gave up on Posey that quickly...He was putting up 30 point games pretty regularly towards the end of the season, two seasons ago.

I don't see Walker coming off the bench, just because he is paid more than Haslem.

This is probably the most talented set of players that Shaq has had around him

PG - Williams
SG - Wade
SF - Posey
PF - 'Toine
C - O'Neal

Most teams have a crappy center or lack a power forward...Hell Miami even has a shut down defender in Posey now

ALL the pieces are in place. This is just insane.

If they don't win the title next year, it's all on Shaq's fault.

V2M
08-03-2005, 01:29 PM
So Jazz give up Kirk Snyder, Raul Lopez and Curtis Borchardt to get Greg Ostertag i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

V2M
08-03-2005, 01:34 PM
No matter what else happens around the league, Miami will be the odds-on favorites to win it all... until, of course, Shaq's big toe starts actin' up again.

On a side note, it's rumored that Shaq heavily lobbied for Toine in a desperate attempt to improve the public perception of his FT shooting. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Thespiralgoeson
08-03-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by: V2M
No matter what else happens around the league, Miami will be the odds-on favorites to win it all...

Unless we trade Pierce i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif...

V2M
08-03-2005, 01:56 PM

No matter what else happens around the league, Miami will be the odds-on favorites to win it all...

I'd like to see us get Pierce but adding him (obviously by giving up some key pieces!) alone won't make us a favorite even in the WC.

dalmations202
08-03-2005, 02:01 PM
I kind of like the deal for Miami, especially if you are a Dallas fan.

They get a PG that is known to disrupt and be on the bench at the end of games - who is inefficient at 3pts.
They get a volume shooter in Toine who is inefficient at 3pts.
They get Posey who can't shoot a 3pt.

So now they work the inside out game by being very inefficient at the "outside". Man watch teams pack the paint around Shaq in the playoffs, and double Wade, and say let Toine, Williams, Posey, and Haslem beat us with the jumper. We'll see if they are up to it.

TomThaMavsFan
08-03-2005, 02:01 PM
The miami heat got a buttload of talented players for basically one player. It's amazing how Pat Riley pulled the deal off. I think the Heat will possibly break the record for most jacked up three pointers in a game, and for the season, with JWill and Toine. If Van Gundy can control that need to throw crazy three pointers up , they will have one of the most funand exciting teams to watch .

the Heat have a lineup of:

C Shaq
PF Walker
SF Posey
SG Wade
PG J-Will

Tell me what other team in the league can compete with that on paper?

Thespiralgoeson
08-03-2005, 02:08 PM

I'd like to see us get Pierce but adding him (obviously by giving up some key pieces!) alone won't make us a favorite even in the WC.

Getting Pierce would definitely make us the favorites in the West. Key pieces? As far as I'm concerned, the only key pieces are Dirk and Howard. Everyone else is expendable.

dalmations202
08-03-2005, 02:20 PM
the Heat have a lineup of:

C Shaq
PF Walker
SF Posey
SG Wade
PG J-Will

Tell me what other team in the league can compete with that on paper?

Let's see. SA
Shaq - TD
Walker - Horry
Posey - Ginobili
Wade - Bowen
Williams - Parker

I'd say that SA matches up pretty well.

Shaq - Ben Wallace
Walker - Rasheed Wallace
Posey - Tashaun Prince
Wade - Rip Hamilton
Williams- Chauncy Billups

I'd say Detroit matches up pretty well.

Shaq - Amare
Walker - Thomas
Posey - Marion
Wade - Bell/Finley?
JWill - Nash

I'd say that on paper Phoenix matches up pretty well.

So I would say at least 3 other teams match up very well on paper, and Indiana, Dallas, Houston, etc definately have a shot.

V2M
08-03-2005, 02:37 PM

Getting Pierce would definitely make us the favorites in the West. Key pieces? As far as I'm concerned, the only key pieces are Dirk and Howard. Everyone else is expendable.
Certainly in the eyes of the Mavericks fans but I don't think Vegas would bump us ahead of SA just cuz of Pierce.

Dirkenstien
08-03-2005, 04:12 PM
What an insanely great deal for the Heat. They'll be a fun team to watch.

alby
08-03-2005, 04:26 PM
the talk coming out of miami is that posey will be coming off the bench..

SeriousSummer
08-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Mega deal if you just count players, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a trade before where so little talent was spread over so many players.

birdsanctuary
08-03-2005, 06:24 PM
Trust me Indiana is better than this revamped Miami line-up by a long shot.

Thespiralgoeson
08-03-2005, 06:33 PM
Certainly in the eyes of the Mavericks fans but I don't think Vegas would bump us ahead of SA just cuz of Pierce.

Why the hell not? As far as I'm concerned, the only thing that really seperates us from them is the SG spot. Ginobili is far superior to anyone we can throw out there. Parker is slightly better than Terry, but not much. Bowen is the most overrated player in the league and Howard's better IMO, Damp is better than Mohammed and Nesterovic if you ask me. And of course there's the Dirk/Duncan matchup... Of course it's the general consensus that Duncan is light years better than Dirk, but I personally don't think there's much of a gap between them. So other than the 2 spot, our lineup matches pretty well with their's. Put Pierce on this team, who is light years better than Ginobili, and the Mavs beat the Spurs in 6 or 7, I think. Pierce is absolutely everything we need, what everyone needs in a SG. Perimeter defense, 3 pt range, ball movement, a legitimate star to help out Dirk... I promise you, a Maverick team with Paul Pierce in its starting lineup would win the West.

LRB
08-03-2005, 07:01 PM

Why the hell not? As far as I'm concerned, the only thing that really seperates us from them is the SG spot. Ginobili is far superior to anyone we can throw out there. Parker is slightly better than Terry, but not much. Bowen is the most overrated player in the league and Howard's better IMO, Damp is better than Mohammed and Nesterovic if you ask me. And of course there's the Dirk/Duncan matchup... Of course it's the general consensus that Duncan is light years better than Dirk, but I personally don't think there's much of a gap between them. So other than the 2 spot, our lineup matches pretty well with their's. Put Pierce on this team, who is light years better than Ginobili, and the Mavs beat the Spurs in 6 or 7, I think. Pierce is absolutely everything we need, what everyone needs in a SG. Perimeter defense, 3 pt range, ball movement, a legitimate star to help out Dirk... I promise you, a Maverick team with Paul Pierce in its starting lineup would win the West.

SG, team defense (2 1st team all-NBA defenders), center depth, shutdown defender, TD - probably most complete player in league, bench, ball movement, coaching, and there could probably be a lot more things that Vegas would feel that SA is better than the Mavs. I love the Mavs, but SA is one damn good team which we've never, at least in the last 15 years, been able to pass in the regular season for a division title nor advance past in the post season. There is a reason why they get the best of us besides dumb luck. Until we make significant improvements over and above what SA does, it would be pure homerism to expect Vegas to start picking us over SA. PP is good, but he still doesn't put us past SA in neutral eyes IMO. Mavs are a large unknown who played some ugly basketball in the playoffs while losing in the 2nd round, SA is returning mainly intact the world championship team that dominated more than not in the playoffs.

KG
08-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Word

fin4life
08-03-2005, 08:25 PM
The biggest part of this deal to me is not Employee #8. I dont think he is the best player in the deal, I think it is James Posey. He is one of my favorite players because there is not a thing on the court that he cannot do. He can rebound, play defense, score from inside and out, slash, and is a team player.

Posey was a guy that I really wanted this off-season, but unfortionatley he will be in Miami this year. They have to favorites to win it all.

Thespiralgoeson
08-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by: LRB

SG, team defense (2 1st team all-NBA defenders),

I'll give you that one.

center depth,

We add someone like Hunter or Ratliff, and that puts us ahead of them in that category.

shutdown defender

Yawn

probably most complete player in league,

Again, I don't think there's a significant gap between Dirk and Duncan.

bench,

Not any better than ours IMO. Aside from out need for a backup 5 of course.

ball movement, coaching,

I'll give you those, but Pierce would significantly help ball movement.

PP is good, but he still doesn't put us past SA in neutral eyes IMO.

Pierce isn't just "good." He's a borderline superstar. I really don't think he's that far removed from Kobe or T-Mac. I'm not saying he's as close to them as Dirk is to Duncan, but he's far ahead of Allen and Redd, and in a different class altogether than Ginobili.

Five-ofan
08-04-2005, 05:28 PM
ahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahaaha
The heat think walker will win them a title ahahahaahahahahahahaaha
this trade in no way makes the heat better. In fact this makes the heat considerably worse.
I dont know how much people watched last year but shaq wasnt anywhere near as dominant as people acted like he was. He is falling apart. Its just a fact of life. So now they have jwill and toine who will take the ball in their hands instead of giving it to wade. That is great news for anyone not a miami fan. Yes damon jones was the point on d and was listed as the point on o but mostly all he did was give wade the ball and spot up. Will jwill be content doing that? i doubt it. Also what about haslem? I would rather have him than walker. Walker btw is not a great passer imo. He can make some great passes but more often then not he screws up trying to make too good of a pass. Posey is very good. But people act like jones couldnt play. Jones was their best defender last year and is at least as good as posey on d. Not a knock on posey but jones can still d it up.

ps. anyone notice that on espn they praised riley for being willing to improve a team that almost made the finals but when the mavs made major moves (One involving the same number 8) after the mavs almost made the finals everyone said that we were impatient?

EricaLubarsky
08-04-2005, 05:30 PM
indeed.

MavKikiNYC
08-05-2005, 01:29 PM
Still can't stand Walker's game, and frankly, I don't think he'll be much of a postive factor in Miami. And yeah, kinda surprised to hear a Pat Riley talking him up, let alone actually acquiring him.

The bigger role Walker has on the heat, I'm going to wager the less their chances will be.

Walker Understands New Role With Heat[We shall see.]

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: August 4, 2005

Filed at 4:55 p.m. ET

MIAMI (AP) -- Antoine Walker understands his new role, and he's ready to embrace it with the Miami Heat.

Throughout most of his first nine seasons, a tenure spent largely with the Boston Celtics, Walker was a marquee guy, someone who teams built offenses around. That won't be the case in Miami, not with Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade starring as one of the NBA's elite 1-2 punches.

Yet this was where Walker wanted to be -- not because he wants to relax, but because he wants a title.

''In past years, I've always come in and had to worry about scoring 20, 25 a night for my team to win,'' Walker said Thursday at his unveiling in Miami. ''Now I don't have to worry about that. I can come in and just play ball, just be versatile. Rebound, pass, score -- whatever it calls for that night.''

Walker, the centerpiece of the largest trade in NBA history -- a five-team, 13-player behemoth of a deal executed Tuesday night -- figures to come into the season battling incumbent Udonis Haslem for the starting spot at power forward.

His multifaceted game was most attractive, said Heat president Pat Riley.

''We feel like there is a definitive role for him, where he's going to be on the court here and helping this team try to achieve what we need to achieve over the next couple years,'' Riley said. ''I am very happy.''

Miami got the three-time All-Star in a sign-and-trade with Boston; Walker is due to make $53 million over the next six seasons. Miami also got point guard Jason Williams, small forward James Posey and forward Andre Emmett in the megatrade, with swingman Eddie Jones, and forwards Rasual Butler and Qyntel Woods leaving the Heat.

Walker, who turns 29 next week, averaged 19.1 points, 9.0 rebounds and 3.4 assists last season; he and Kevin Garnett were the only NBA players to have numbers that high in all three categories.

Plus, Walker was one of six players to average 19 and 9 -- Garnett, Shawn Marion, Dirk Nowitzki, Elton Brand and O'Neal were the others.

''He's got a multitude of skills,'' Riley said. ''Not just as a ballhandler, but as a passer and a guy that can rebound. ... He's a very, very versatile player so I think he fits into exactly what we're trying to do here from a talent standpoint.''

And what that means, apparently, is to get younger, more athletic and deeper -- all at once.

Miami will have a different look in 2005-06, even though it won 59 games last season and took Detroit to seven games in the Eastern Conference finals. And even after the trade, more additions are certain -- considering that the team has only four perimeter players on the current roster.

''Our job is to put it all together now,'' Heat coach Stan Van Gundy said.

Walker is a career 41.5-percent shooter from the field, and just a 32.6-percent shooter from 3-point range -- where he can be found quite regularly. Plus, he averages more than three turnovers per game.

Yet Louisville coach Rick Pitino, who coached Walker at Kentucky -- winning the 1996 NCAA title -- and later with the Celtics, said the trade will be ''a tremendous boost'' for Walker's career.

''This is a home run for Antoine and a grand slam for the Miami Heat. ... Antoine and Shaq will be great together,'' Pitino said at Saratoga Race Course, where his thoroughbreds race in the summer. ''He's never had the luxury of playing with quality centers. He had to play the low post. This is the first time he's been with a premier player.''

Including playoffs, Walker's played in 724 games. He's started all but 15 of them, and all of those reserve appearances came in the 1990s. But he said he's not worried about whether he starts, and even lauded Haslem, saying he was ''a very big part of what they did last year.''

Walker visited with Riley last week, a meeting that piqued his interest in Miami. He spoke with O'Neal days before the trade became official, and said the 12-time All-Star center was pleased to hear that Walker would soon be headed to South Florida.

Walker called coming to Miami ''the opportunity of a lifetime.''

''My career's just starting,'' Walker said. ''I feel like now I've got the opportunity to fight for championships, to win championships. ... This is an opportunity I don't want to let go by.''

LRB
08-05-2005, 02:23 PM
Plus, Walker was one of six players to average 19 and 9 -- Garnett, Shawn Marion, Dirk Nowitzki, Elton Brand and O'Neal were the others.

??? What about Tim Duncan???

MightyToine
08-09-2005, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Still can't stand Walker's game, and frankly, I don't think he'll be much of a postive factor in Miami. And yeah, kinda surprised to hear a Pat Riley talking him up, let alone actually acquiring him.

The bigger role Walker has on the heat, I'm going to wager the less their chances will be.

Well Walker's "role" will be coming off the bench as the 6th man 'cause Haslem, from what I heard, will be the starter.

Also, as far as whether he will be or won't be a positive factor? We'll see....

I remember when Walk was here and played "well" while Dirk was out, the Mavs still lost games. However, the Mavs "Defense"(and I use that term loosely) wasn't exactly stellar that year....to be nice.

If Walker plays "well" with the Heat, I see the team Winning more often than not just 'cause of the fact that they play much much better Defense...

alby
08-09-2005, 10:56 AM
Walker coming off the bench?

yeah, that'll last.....

MightyToine
08-09-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by: alby
Walker coming off the bench?

yeah, that'll last.....

Who the hell knows, alby? Stan Van Gundy is not a Yes-man like O'brien or an idiot like Pitino. I think he will have Walker on a short leash this coming season and that can only be good news for the Heat.

V2M
08-09-2005, 04:09 PM
I could very well be proven wrong but the more I think 'bout it the more I feel the Heat may not be as strong as last years.
They got a couple more ball handlers in JWill and Toine but lost some sharp shooters from 3pt line in Jones, Jones and Butler.
Given Wade and Shaq, it's not like they need more ball-handlers.

MightyToine
08-09-2005, 04:48 PM
Well as the old saying goes : "That's why they play the games" i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

chumdawg
06-22-2006, 06:51 PM
Some interesting reading here, to look back on this trade, especially now as it comes that time of year to think about possible Mavs trades.

So with the benefit of hindsight...did this trade put Miami over the top, or could they have won it just as well with the players they had before?

nashtymavsfan13
06-22-2006, 07:02 PM
It put them over the top.

madape
06-22-2006, 07:26 PM
ahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahaaha
The heat think walker will win them a title ahahahaahahahahahahaaha
this trade in no way makes the heat better. In fact this makes the heat considerably worse.
I dont know how much people watched last year but shaq wasnt anywhere near as dominant as people acted like he was. He is falling apart. Its just a fact of life. So now they have jwill and toine who will take the ball in their hands instead of giving it to wade. That is great news for anyone not a miami fan. Yes damon jones was the point on d and was listed as the point on o but mostly all he did was give wade the ball and spot up. Will jwill be content doing that? i doubt it. Also what about haslem? I would rather have him than walker. Walker btw is not a great passer imo. He can make some great passes but more often then not he screws up trying to make too good of a pass. Posey is very good. But people act like jones couldnt play. Jones was their best defender last year and is at least as good as posey on d. Not a knock on posey but jones can still d it up.

ps. anyone notice that on espn they praised riley for being willing to improve a team that almost made the finals but when the mavs made major moves (One involving the same number 8) after the mavs almost made the finals everyone said that we were impatient?

ahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaahahahahahhahaahahaaha h

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/6273/walker0kz.png

spreedom
06-22-2006, 08:31 PM
I think Posey, not Walker, put them over the top.

MavKikiNYC
06-22-2006, 09:01 PM
In spite of.

Not because of.

Dtownsfinest
06-23-2006, 12:03 AM
LMAO@this thread. Though seeing this happen its going to be interesting to see how this offseason pans out. Will their be any Rasheed Wallace or Miami Heat type trades that put a team over the top. Kevin Garnett and AI are talked about. I'd have to think that whatever team recieves these two will be contenders.

birdsanctuary
06-23-2006, 01:14 AM
The trade definitely put them over the top but it took Pat Riley to manage them properly. Walker was always yanked at the end of games to keep him from jacking up threes.

Dallas needs a similar blockbuster deal to acquire at least 1 more superstar to add to Dirk, Diop, Jho and Devin...

bobatundi
06-23-2006, 08:30 AM
It's gonna be hard to trade for a superstar without giving up Diop, Jho or Devin though...

kingmalaki
06-23-2006, 12:21 PM
I think it put them over the top. Walker was big during the playoffs and gave them a 3rd guy who could create his own shot (unlike last year). Posey's D was invaluable in the Finals, and he hit big shots too.

fluid.forty.one
06-23-2006, 01:52 PM

I wish this were true :(

rakesh.s
06-23-2006, 07:59 PM
LMAO@this thread. Though seeing this happen its going to be interesting to see how this offseason pans out. Will their be any Rasheed Wallace or Miami Heat type trades that put a team over the top. Kevin Garnett and AI are talked about. I'd have to think that whatever team recieves these two will be contenders.

Iverson does not make anybody a contender. He will never play second fiddle to anyone, and that has to scare a lot of teams.

Having said that, watch Iverson win a title next year..

dallen
06-23-2006, 10:39 PM
Iverson does not make anybody a contender. He will never play second fiddle to anyone, and that has to scare a lot of teams.

Having said that, watch Iverson win a title next year..The same things were said of Stackhouse and Payton.

chumdawg
06-23-2006, 11:01 PM
Iverson is a gutty, gutty competitor. And completely fearless. And he's been there before.

Do you think Iverson would have got to the foul line just a little more than Terry did these Finals? Well, Harris got to the line WAY more than Terry did, so I should hope the answer is a resounding yes.

Iverson doesn't make anybody a contender? Let's just say, for the sake of pure argument here, that at the deadline Philly would have taken Terry and Daniels for Iverson. You like it better with Terry and Daniels?

Please. Iverson is balls-on, man. It would be my DREAM for the Mavs to able to acquire him. Where he is at this stage in his career, I would rate him absolutely #1 on my wish list for this team. (Yes, I'd rather have him than Nash.) Iverson would like to win something. Iverson is full of fire, just like coach Johnson.

There could not BE a better marriage than Iverson with Dirk and AJ and Howard and Harris and the Mavericks.

Tokey41
06-24-2006, 01:53 AM
I hope #1 is an exaggeration man... Iverson? Really? I mean I can see how deadly that would be but as good a player as he is there is at least 5 others I would take ahead of him if I could have anyone in the NBA come to Dallas. But for the record I think i'd prefer having him rather than Nash too.

Oh and Walker didnt put them over the top, it was all the aquisitions made. I think the most significant were Posey and Williams.

aexchange
06-25-2006, 08:46 AM
Iverson is a gutty, gutty competitor. And completely fearless. And he's been there before.

Do you think Iverson would have got to the foul line just a little more than Terry did these Finals? Well, Harris got to the line WAY more than Terry did, so I should hope the answer is a resounding yes.

Iverson doesn't make anybody a contender? Let's just say, for the sake of pure argument here, that at the deadline Philly would have taken Terry and Daniels for Iverson. You like it better with Terry and Daniels?

Please. Iverson is balls-on, man. It would be my DREAM for the Mavs to able to acquire him. Where he is at this stage in his career, I would rate him absolutely #1 on my wish list for this team. (Yes, I'd rather have him than Nash.) Iverson would like to win something. Iverson is full of fire, just like coach Johnson.

There could not BE a better marriage than Iverson with Dirk and AJ and Howard and Harris and the Mavericks.

got to agree with you here. iverson and dirk would be a complete nightmare. with the way the rules are structured now, we easily could have 2 players who average 27+ a game.

Five-ofan
06-26-2006, 11:59 AM
I love ai. I have never understood the irrational hatred many people have toward him. I would love to see him play here.

Dtownsfinest
06-26-2006, 12:49 PM
I think the main flaw that people have with AI(which is a incorrect flaw) is that he's selfish and isn't a good shooter. Putting up 33 points on 44% from the field is great especially for someone his size. And he still managed to dish out 7 assists. I think some feel that AI's body may not hold up as long as other guards around the league but if you can get him on a team like Dallas where he'd be sort of the co-1st option with Dirk I think that automatically adds more years his time in the NBA. I'd definately take AI over any point guard currently out there right now. I think a deal involving Terry could be possible. That's if the 6ers are stuck on still trying to get rid of him. If so, Terry/Diop/Daniels or Josh could get the deal done but I think that maybe a bit much to get him.

Five-ofan
06-26-2006, 12:54 PM
If you can get AI one of the top 10 players in the nba for jason terry Desagana Diop and Marquis daniels you do that Twice everyday and three times on sunday. I just dont see how you would pass that up. I also dont see how they take that deal. The problem i see is that i think they are gonna try to package cwebb with him and that takes ALOT of money to match up salaries.

MightyToine
06-30-2006, 06:56 PM
In spite of.

Not because of.

Not really....If it weren't for Walker's contributions during Games 3 and 4 of the Nets series, Mavs would've faced either NJ or Detroit in the Finals.

"Walk" didn't have that bad of a 3rd Quarter in Game 6 against the Mavs either, especially rebounding-wise(though he did score some key-baskets including the unforgettable one drawing an and-1 on Stackhouse and doing a mini-shimmy) :cool:

oh and I also go "ahhhhahhhhaahahhahhahhaha" right back at Five-ofan, too. :D

Five-ofan
06-30-2006, 09:06 PM
I deserve that.

MightyToine
06-30-2006, 09:31 PM
I deserve that.

Hey don't worry about it, man. You know what they say about Hindsight? :)

I mean...even I, at the time, couldn't imagine(though I hoped) the type of impact (a positive one at that! :eek: ) that he would have with the Heat....Of course, Pat Riley benching his butt and putting in his "Defensive Unit" on the floor late in games certainly helped matters....

But anyway....that was then, this is now. Can the Heat Repeat? If Zo does not return, forget it. He, like someone else stated, was the catalyst and the force that helped the Heat win in the end(DWade excluded).

SHAQ Didn't do squat except miss FT's and look FAT out there.

Hope to see you again next year in the Finals....

Five-ofan
06-30-2006, 09:35 PM
It would be nice.

MightyToine
06-30-2006, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop

I wish this were true :(

Umm...It is. I mean he *did* help to "destroy" the Mavericks for the 2nd straight time(first as a member of the team and then as a member of the Opposing team) after all. :rolleyes:

and yeah...Wade *and* the refs had something to do with that but make no mistake, Walker did his part too(especially in the 3rd quarter)......

MightyToine
06-30-2006, 09:44 PM
It would be nice.

What would be nice if the Mavs could get their hands on Paul Pierce.....too bad it looks more and more like the C's will get their hands on AI....

And I don't believe for a second that Andrea Bargnani will be anything close to Dirk. I see Tskitishvilli(sp?) all over again....Dirk is a comes-once-in-a-lifetime type of player.

Just like we've seen with the "Next Jordan" crap....We see the "Next Dirk" garbage, too.

Five-ofan
06-30-2006, 09:48 PM
He wont be dirk but he wont be skita either. He will be detlef Schremp(sp?) I would LOVE pierce. Ive been behind that since last year. I would like Ai for that matter but i just dont see either happening sadly. the mavs best chance at a second superstar is devin harris' development. If he gains 25 lbs he is dwyane wade. (Yes i am accounting for the slight drop in quickness that would entail even though he will never do that) He wont but he could. He will be a stud though.

MightyToine
06-30-2006, 09:58 PM
Hmmm...Devin Harris as a Dwayne-Wade clone? Can't really see it....

BUT...he's young and will only get better and that's the encouraging thing. :)

In the finals he just seemed a bit too intimidated(understandibly so) by all the hoopla and stuff....It certainly proved to be a valuable learning experience for him. And he should look on the bright side : At least he wasn't the one who pulled a "Chris Webber" in Game 5 on National Television(Josh Howard). *that* incident will haunt Josh in his nightmares/dreams for the rest of his career ala Bill Buckner for the Red Sox...

Five-ofan
06-30-2006, 10:01 PM
He is quicker right now and about as explosive as wade he just doesnt have the strength to finish which 25 lbs would help cure though it would remove the quickness advantage. He handles about as well too. Devin harris is still the mavs best shot at a second star though i agree that he will never be a dwade clone just because he wont gain 25 lbs so i guess it makes it a mute point.

MightyToine
06-30-2006, 10:34 PM
He is quicker right now and about as explosive as wade he just doesnt have the strength to finish which 25 lbs would help cure though it would remove the quickness advantage. He handles about as well too. Devin harris is still the mavs best shot at a second star though i agree that he will never be a dwade clone just because he wont gain 25 lbs so i guess it makes it a mute point.

Doesn't matter, man....He *WILL* get better. It's Destiny that he will. That's just how Great-young-talents go.... :cool:

Tokey41
07-01-2006, 12:03 AM
Seriously people... AI? Of all the players in the NBA? Or are you just talking about the ones we could potentially get? I mean Lebron and Kobe are no brainers for #1 and #2 on wishlists (except to morons who think Kobes past personal life affects his bball skills). Then of course theres Wade, Anthony, Dwight Howard, Stoudamire, Marion, Garnett, Duncan, Arenas, and Bosh who I would take ahead of him as well. Many of them because they are young guys and the others because they are around AI's age (TD and KG) and imo just plain better even if we needed a guard more.

nashtymavsfan13
07-01-2006, 02:25 AM
I never want to see Kobe in a Mavs uniform, I shudder at the thought of that.

I would love to get Pierce or AI, but that's wishful thinking.