PDA

View Full Version : Charles Barkley

Flying Tiger
03-07-2002, 03:51 PM
I pretty much lost all respect for the guy. I don't want to step on any toes here, but the crap he's saying is BS. If you haven't heard, he's saying that they lengthened some course because they are racists and they don't want Tiger to win. In an interview Dan Patrick brought up the point that they lengthed the course for someone else a few years back, and Charles said that proved his point, but that guy was white. I'm not saying that they didn't lengthen so it would be harder for Tiger, they might have, but I don't think it's because of his race.

Sorry I don't have a link, maybe MFFL could do something about that.

MFFL
03-07-2002, 03:55 PM
If they wanted to "Tiger-proof" golf - then they would shorten the courses. That way his ability to drive long would be negated. Half of what Barkley says is nonsense.

Dooby
03-07-2002, 04:26 PM
Well, as the only person on this board to have met Tiger Woods, I have to disagree on his behalf.**

Shortening the course would allow Tiger to use his long-irons more frequently, which he can hit better than anyone on the course.

**Yes, I did meet Tiger Woods. When he was fourteen. So I suppose it is not that big a deal. Saw Earl, too. Didn't meet him though.

Joe Joe
03-07-2002, 05:00 PM
Ummmmm you're the only 1? Ummmm I do not think so, stop tooting your own horn man! You aren't the only person on this board to have met Tiger Woods. I agree with Sir Charles on this 1, like most things he say he is right. I think the people associated with golf has realized that Tiger is the best, and noone on his level on the PGA tour.

Yea FT, I did take offense of that. You couldv'e just said because of his race, there's no fucken room for the word "colored" around me!

Flying Tiger
03-07-2002, 05:06 PM
You're probably just trying to start crap, but I'll change it anyway.

Murphy3
03-07-2002, 05:10 PM
i'm not sure how meeting tiger means that you know something more about how this will impact his game.

well, lengthening the course will do nothing but help tiger..
so some of the longer holes, he'll be able to hit a driver off the tee and hit a shorter iron to reach the green to where many of the other players will be hitting driver then laying up on their second shot.

alot of what barkley says is off base..but, many times, he's right on the money..

the tiger proofing..well, they may call it "tiger proofing"..but, i think they know that it will actually make it more tiger friendly..
they want tiger to be in the race or the winner..they definitely don't want to make it harder for tiger

ocelot_ark
03-07-2002, 05:12 PM
Charles Barkley is an ass. How does LENGTHENING the course affect the guy with the longest shot in the game? How? It does not make a damn bit of sense. This is just a case of, "white man keeping us down syndrome." Get over it already.

Drbio
03-07-2002, 05:16 PM
not to mention that the course lengths have been changed on nujmerous occassions over the years. Barkley got the facts wrong...but who can really be surprised?

MFFL
03-07-2002, 06:13 PM
<< Well, as the only person on this board to have met Tiger Woods, I have to disagree on his behalf.**

Shortening the course would allow Tiger to use his long-irons more frequently, which he can hit better than anyone on the course. >>

When you shorten a course the long driver (like Tiger) uses irons. A golfer who can't drive as far will still use his driver. So the ball will wind up in the same general area. When the course is lenthened, well read murph's response - I'm too groggy to type that much.

Rod1975
03-07-2002, 11:03 PM
Well, me, Tiger, MJ, Chuck B, and Ahmad were hangin' out at the 19th hole at Augusta the other day, and I asked Chuck, &quot;what's with all the hype yo?&quot;
Chuck replied,&quot;Tiger is the man out there on the golf course, MJs the man out on the court, Ahmad's the main man on saturday morning TV, so I guess I'm trying to be the man on something, I gotta stay in the spotlight like all my compadres here.&quot;

Drbio
03-07-2002, 11:42 PM
LOL Rod

Kat
03-08-2002, 01:28 AM
Ohmigog, he knows Tiger too?

Dooby
03-08-2002, 08:09 AM
Having met Tiger 10 years ago doesn't qualify me for crap, I know that. Still, I am very proud to say I knew of and followed Tiger Woods' career long before most people ever heard of him. No one wants to hear my story?i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif It was a warm summer's day...

Anyway, Tiger is deadly accurate with his long irons. Long irons are naturally more accurate than drivers. Shortening the course would give him the advantage because he could, in fact, use his preferred clubs more often.

The guy was second in driving distance last year, I believe. If you ever watched Tiger play 72 holes of golf, you will be surprised at how often he elects not to use his driver, even on the par-5's.

Murphy3
03-08-2002, 10:00 AM
quite simply..the longer the holes..the better for tiger.

where other players will be forced to hit driver-driver on a hole.. tiger can hit driver-iron...giving him a significant advantage....

or can even go iron-iron when other's are hitting driver-laying up..

it's a significant advantage for tiger on the longer holes..

Dooby
03-08-2002, 10:08 AM
Well, what I am saying is making holes shorter won't hurt Tiger. making them longer may help Tiger. Ergo, a focused Tiger can decimate any golf course.

reeds
03-08-2002, 09:22 PM
I guess I will disagree with everyone then. Depending on the hole, making it longer will definetly hurt Tiger. If there are holes that Tiger can reach with the Driver (and there were), if the course is made 25 yards longer, at best he is now using 3 wood and pitching wedge. NOW- the others can use driver and 8 iron or whatever. My point is this, making some holes longer can even out the playing field. Some holes made longer can make Tiger, Daily, etc. have to take two shots to reach the green. But these same holes will STILL be reachable in two for the rest of the field. Im talking about par 4s. Par 5s it really wouldnt matter much...just my opinion...