PDA

View Full Version : Lakers cut ties with Brian Grant

dirno2000
08-10-2005, 09:46 AM
The Lakers have decided to waive forward Brian Grant, taking advantage of a one-time provision to the NBA's new collective bargaining agreement allowing them to save nearly $30 million in luxury tax penalties.
"We understand from a business standpoint there's a huge economic incentive with the luxury tax savings," Grant's agent, Mark Bartelstein, said Tuesday. "We know it has nothing to do with Brian's abilities as a player and has everything to do with dollars."

Grant was the Lakers' second-highest paid player after Kobe Bryant and still is owed $29.8 million on his contract. He averaged a career-low 3.8 points and 3.7 rebounds last season while battling chronic tendinitis in his knees.

The Lakers will have to pay nearly all of Grant's remaining contract, even if the 33-year-old forward signs with another team as a free agent, and will gain no additional salary cap flexibility until after the 2006-07 season, when Grant's contract expires.

Where the Lakers will benefit is in removing Grant's salary from the NBA's luxury tax calculations, present and future. The league assesses a dollar-for-dollar penalty for the amount teams spend over the luxury tax threshold, which will be $61.7 million for next season.

The Lakers' payroll for the upcoming season is projected to be in excess of $75 million. They have until Aug. 15 to take advantage of the amnesty provision, but are expected to release Grant as early as today.

Grant will join Portland guard Derek Anderson and Orlando guard Doug Christie (Pepperdine) as the league's first three amnesty casualties. Anderson worked out for the Lakers on Monday and will visit Minnesota and Detroit before making a decision early next week about where to sign.

"We like that situation," Anderson's agent, Tony Dutt, said about the Lakers, "but there are others we like as well. We're still exploring the market."

The Lakers are in need of a ball-handling guard as well as a shooter, and Anderson fits the bill for both. They have $5 million to spend but appear adamant about splitting their midlevel exception on two players while Anderson would like the full amount.

Dutt said the Lakers also want to wait and see which players become available as the amnesty deadline approaches. Anderson, meanwhile, underwent a physical for the Lakers, which Dutt said resolved any questions about his health.

Anderson missed a combined 66 games the last two seasons and has battled back problems.

After arriving from Miami last year as part of the Shaquille O'Neal trade, Grant struggled with a neck injury in training camp. He missed only six games during his last two years with the Heat but was forced to go on the injured list for a month in late November due to the tendinitis.

Last season Grant was reduced to a bench role and averaged only 16.5 minutes per game, with his price tag outweighing his productivity.

The Lakers also are facing a deadline today to buy out the contract of their 2004 second-round draft pick, forward Marcus Douthit. They are unlikely to do so but could retain Douthit's rights for another year by tendering him an offer

rakesh.s
08-10-2005, 10:39 AM
Brian Grant would be the *perfect* pickup for the Mavs.. Backup PF and a backup C. He can knock down the 15 footer more consistently than Dampier too.

I just hope he doesn't sign with the Suns and give them more big man depth i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

SeriousSummer
08-10-2005, 12:08 PM
I think the Mavs should try to get him in for a workout--he'd be a good pickup if he's got anything left. I wouldn't want him here unless the Mavs looked at him, though. He didn't play last year and may not have much left.

Nash13
08-10-2005, 12:13 PM
So Doug Christie's already been waived?

Drbio
08-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Grant will get the full MLE from someone. I wouldn't mind him coming to Dallas though.

snoop
08-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by: Drbio
Grant will get the full MLE from someone. I wouldn't mind him coming to Dallas though.

no one will give grant that kind of money. look for him to go back to the heat or mabye (gulp) the spurs.

EricaLubarsky
08-10-2005, 02:34 PM
He isnt athletic, quick or tall. I doubt he comes to Dallas.

Drbio
08-10-2005, 03:24 PM
snoop- I think you undervalue the market. I am fairly certain he will get close to or all of the MLE.

EricaLubarsky
08-10-2005, 03:29 PM
2-3.5 million max. The guy is an undersized, aging center with serious health concerns.

Drbio
08-10-2005, 03:36 PM
Someone will overpay for his recent (2-3 years) play. The NBA teams always overpay.

Dirkenstien
08-10-2005, 05:34 PM
I would like to see him suit up for the mavs aslong as the price is reasonable.

Dirkenstien

Dirkenstien

alby
08-11-2005, 04:15 AM
i would pick him up just so our rivals wouldnt be able to lol..

alby

alby

snoop
08-11-2005, 12:25 PM
grant will not get over paid because his stats slid to much in a one year span. I agree that 3 yrs ago he would have got it but the landscape of the nba is changing in terms of easy money as teams eye the cap.

snoop
08-11-2005, 12:25 PM
grant will not get over paid because his stats slid to much in a one year span. I agree that 3 yrs ago he would have got it but the landscape of the nba is changing in terms of easy money as teams eye the cap.