PDA

View Full Version : Mutumbo and Jon Barry will end there careers in......

NYCdog
08-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Apparently Houston......according to fans on the internet who say they have heard radio reports suggesting this. Havent seen anything on ESPN though......so I dont know if to buy this.

Can someone confirm this?

If this is true, Mavs fan here have to be pissed. Hunter and Deke disappear off the market in one afternoon...brutal.

NYCdog
08-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Apparently Houston......according to fans on the internet who say they have heard radio reports suggesting this. Havent seen anything on ESPN though......so I dont know if to buy this.

Can someone confirm this?

If this is true, Mavs fan here have to be pissed. Hunter and Deke disappear off the market in one afternoon...brutal.

accsuperstar
08-11-2005, 08:30 PM
not like we had a big chance with deke anyways

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3306916

accsuperstar
08-11-2005, 08:30 PM
not like we had a big chance with deke anyways

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3306916

Thespiralgoeson
08-11-2005, 08:32 PM
*yawn* Hunter's disappointing, but we never had a chance at Mutombo anyway.

Thespiralgoeson
08-11-2005, 08:32 PM

NYCdog
08-11-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by: Thespiralgoeson

Why?

If anyone in this league can make it hapeen, its the George Steinbrenner of the NBA, which happen to be your team's owner.

NYCdog
08-11-2005, 08:42 PM

Why?

If anyone in this league can make it hapeen, its the George Steinbrenner of the NBA, which happen to be your team's owner.

Thespiralgoeson
08-11-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by: NYCdog

Why?

It was never gonna happen because Houston was offering more, and he wants to play there...

Thespiralgoeson
08-11-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by: NYCdog

Why?

It was never gonna happen because Houston was offering more, and he wants to play there...

MrCheerios
08-11-2005, 09:35 PM

I heard deke's deal is 6-7 mil for 2 years. If that's true, that isn't that much.

MrCheerios
08-11-2005, 09:35 PM

I heard deke's deal is 6-7 mil for 2 years. If that's true, that isn't that much.

Thespiralgoeson
08-11-2005, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by: MrCheerios

No it isn't, but it's more than we were willing to pay for him.

Thespiralgoeson
08-11-2005, 09:37 PM

snoop
08-11-2005, 09:48 PM
deke would have been nice.

snoop
08-11-2005, 09:48 PM
deke would have been nice.

LRB
08-12-2005, 03:54 AM

Which is a sad commentary of the ineptitude on the Mavs Braintrust. We'll either pay more to get some smuck who isn't talented enough to sniff Mutumbo's jock, or we'll go cheap, my personal pick, and end up with Dirk playing the lion's share of backup center minutes. What a waster of our best player by forcing him to play out of position. But hey at least Cuban can buy that new lear jet without dipping into savings now. i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif

LRB
08-12-2005, 03:54 AM

Which is a sad commentary of the ineptitude on the Mavs Braintrust. We'll either pay more to get some smuck who isn't talented enough to sniff Mutumbo's jock, or we'll go cheap, my personal pick, and end up with Dirk playing the lion's share of backup center minutes. What a waster of our best player by forcing him to play out of position. But hey at least Cuban can buy that new lear jet without dipping into savings now. i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif

EricaLubarsky
08-12-2005, 05:24 AM

EricaLubarsky
08-12-2005, 05:24 AM

79ta
08-21-2005, 11:22 PM
i figured that since this is a houston related thread i'd post it here... it looks like derek anderson is goin to the rockets to join barry and mutumbo. i saw it on the sunday night sports... ill post a link when i find one.

alby
08-21-2005, 11:24 PM
thats a really really big acquisition IMO for the rockets.

chumdawg
08-21-2005, 11:24 PM
Whoa, really? That's significant. That means he's playing for the minimum, right?

79ta
08-21-2005, 11:33 PM
they didnt go in to specifics, but i believe its the vets minimum which is like 1.5mil cause swift took the whole mle if im correct.

MrCheerios
08-22-2005, 01:35 AM
they got him for the LLE: 1.67 mil. Swift got the whole MLE. This acquisition is HUGE. Not because of his talent, which is pretty good, but also because of the price. Is there any reason why the mavs couldn't get him instead of Christie for twice the price? I mean, at least the mavs could offer real playing time.

EricaLubarsky
08-22-2005, 03:58 PM
they got him for the LLE: 1.67 mil. Swift got the whole MLE. This acquisition is HUGE. Not because of his talent, which is pretty good, but also because of the price. Is there any reason why the mavs couldn't get him instead of Christie for twice the price? I mean, at least the mavs could offer real playing time.

By that logic, you'd say that if Nash was available for 3million and Moochie Norris was available for 1.5million, you'd rather sign the Mooch? Spending only 1.5million on a player is good, right?

a 31 year old, 6-5 shooting guard with poor defense, not great per 48 numbers, and a bad rep-- I would call that a spare. There is a reason that portland waived a guy that earned 10million a season (2 years)instead of max money Randolph (6 years), or Ratliff (3years). Andersen's 39% shooting last year paired with mediocre numbers tells me that instead of waiving Ratliff and saving considerably more money in the process, they would rather pay Ratliff his albatross contract and get a little contribution from him. The same cant be said for Andersen

MrCheerios
08-22-2005, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky

By that logic, you'd say that if Nash was available for 3million and Moochie Norris was available for 1.5million, you'd rather sign the Mooch? Spending only 1.5million on a player is good, right?

Doug Christie is not that much better than Derek Anderson. The gap is certainly not equal to the gap between Nash and Norris, talent-wise. Christie's FG% last year was also 39%, he's 35, and only an inch taller. And if Christie wasn't happy in Orlando, why would Anderson be happy in portland? Give Christie two more years in Orlando and he'd have a bad rep too.

Look up my posts. I truly believe that Christie is a good pickup. But Anderson would've been too. The difference is that the mavs would have 3.5 million to get a backup C instead of 2mil. And I think backup C is a bigger priority than a backup swingman. I thought Diop was terrible before the mavs even signed him. And he's still terrible now that he's signed.

RocketFan11
08-22-2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky

The problem with that argument is that the gap between Christie and DA really isn't that wide; in fact, you could argue that based on their respective ages, DA's upside for next year is actually higher than Christie's.

I think DA will work out well for the Rockets, if he can stay healthy for 60-70 games. If he can't, well we're not paying him much, and we still have David Wesley, Jon Barry, and the rookie Luther Head to fill in. At the very least, it means that we won't be bringing in that punk Sprewell. It's really a no risk move for the Rockets, in my mind, and hopefully it will pay off.

I'm surprised the Mavs didn't at least show some interest in him, personally. I do think Christie will be pretty good, but in my opinion, those of you who are expecting him to help you more than Finley might be a bit disappointed.

jfossee
08-28-2005, 02:00 PM
Finley Helped??

jfossee
08-28-2005, 02:09 PM
You do know its only August right? Guarantee that Diop Averages more PTs & blocks (in less Minutes) than Useless Dikembe...all mavs fans are breathing a sigh of relief that Spare Mutombo stayed in Houston...trust me!

l3igballer23
08-28-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by: jfossee
You do know its only August right? Guarantee that Diop Averages more PTs & blocks (in less Minutes) than Useless Dikembe...all mavs fans are breathing a sigh of relief that Spare Mutombo stayed in Houston...trust me!

Diop better than Mutombo? Are you serious?

sike
08-29-2005, 01:50 AM
I think... no.

jfossee
08-29-2005, 07:16 AM
Very serious.....Mutombo has sucked for the last five years!!

seal614
08-29-2005, 11:09 AM
played better than Yao in the playoffs

jfossee
08-29-2005, 02:56 PM
Mutombo Averaged 3 pts and barely a block a game......worthless!!

kes1357
08-29-2005, 03:00 PM
He averaged 4 pts, 5.3 rebounds, 1.26 blocks, and shooting .498 in 15.2 minutes a game. That's not too bad.

jfossee
08-29-2005, 03:04 PM
Playoffs....3pp & 1 block. Maybe that extra point a game could have helped in the playoffs!

madape
08-29-2005, 03:42 PM
The best two centers in that Houston series both played for the Rockets. After watching Dampier get used and abused by both Yao AND Motumbo, you should bet your ass that it would have made a difference to have Deke in a Mavs jersey next year.

What do we have to look forward to now? More humiliating playoff episodes of futility from our $72 Million free agent bust? With the signing of Stromile Swift, the Rockets now have three centers better than anything we can put on the court.

jfossee
08-29-2005, 04:04 PM
A tad Bitter? lets not forget who won the series.....

kes1357
08-30-2005, 02:37 PM
yes, but why do you keep leaving off his rebounds? He's there as a primary rebounder and defensive presence. he played 14.4 minutes a game and avereged 3.1 pts and 5 rebounds a game with a block shot. He comes in and gives his 14 minutes to someone who apparently has stamina problems. The Mavs are a shooting team. How many blocks are you hoping for?

Mutumbo would have been a great fit for the Mavs team with experience and leadership along with some dependable minutes playing defense and rebounding in the paint. Comparing him to Diop until he proves something is laughable

l3igballer23
08-30-2005, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by: kes1357
yes, but why do you keep leaving off his rebounds? He's there as a primary rebounder and defensive presence. he played 14.4 minutes a game and avereged 3.1 pts and 5 rebounds a game with a block shot. He comes in and gives his 14 minutes to someone who apparently has stamina problems. The Mavs are a shooting team. How many blocks are you hoping for?

Mutumbo would have been a great fit for the Mavs team with experience and leadership along with some dependable minutes playing defense and rebounding in the paint. Comparing him to Diop until he proves something is laughable

Agreed... I read something earlier on basketball-reference that Diop has the worst offensive efficiency rating in the last 40 years. At least Mutombo plays great defense and is a great rebounder... even though it's only for 12-15 mins a game. That's all the Rockets need from him.

jfossee
08-30-2005, 03:40 PM
Good point. If you can stick to using him for 12 to 14 minutes, I can see his value......

LRB
08-30-2005, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by: jfossee

The only stats Diop is likely to surpass Mutumbo in on a per minute basis are missed shots, fouls, facial dunks, and turnovers. On a per minute basis last year fantastic and one of the best centers in the league. Meanwhile Diop had trouble getting off his fat @$$ and into the game. Diop may eventually pass Mutumbo in playing ability, but most likely it's going to take Dikembe aging another 3 to 5 years. And that's only if Diop makes serious improvements, which is a very big if.

EricaLubarsky
08-30-2005, 08:03 PM
I dont give a damn if Mutombo averages negative values in points, steals, blocks and assists.

He averaged 17rebounds per 48 (6 offensive)and had stellar defensive numbers. The guy looks like a spare but is way better than most people think. I know, I know what you are going to say in response-- 48 min numbers arent correct because Mutombo never averaged 17 boards a game, but the fact is he changed the outlook for the opponent's scoring and rebounded like hell while he was in and thats what we needed.

And dont get me wrong, I'm not whining becuase I dont think we had a chance. I'm convinced that we didnt. I'm just correcting the poster that said that Mutombo sucked.

Drbio
08-30-2005, 08:54 PM
Someone said Dikembe Motumbo sucked? That could easily be the single most ignorant post in D-M.com history. That guy is still a badass old knees and all.