PDA

View Full Version : Brian Grant to the Suns

MavsFanFinley
08-15-2005, 07:50 PM
Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic

Aug. 16, 2005 12:00 AM Veteran power forward Brian Grant has agreed to terms to join the Phoenix Suns, according to his agent.

Grant, 33, will tie up loose ends of the deal Tuesday but will not be able to sign with Phoenix until he clears waivers Wednesday afternoon. Grant accepted a deal for the Suns' largest available sum, a $1.67 million biannual exception, and will have a player option for a second year in the contract.

Grant turned down "much more" lucrative offers elsewhere to be in Phoenix.

"It's a great franchise, no doubt about it, with the best record last year, a great point guard and a need (for a big man)," Bartelstein said. "We think it's a terrific fit."

Grant has played 11 seasons in the NBA with Sacramento, Portland and the Los Angeles Lakers, where he spent an injury-riddled year last season. At 6 feet 9 and 254 pounds, Grant is known for his defensive and rebounding prowess with career averages of 10.7 points and 7.6 rebounds per game. He only had eight starts last year, down from 76 in 2003-2004, and had career lows in scoring (3. and rebounding (3.7) averages.

Drbio
08-15-2005, 07:51 PM
Very good move for the Suns. It tells me Finley is not going there no matter what though.

Nash13
08-15-2005, 08:16 PM
How many under-sized players do they need?

Thespiralgoeson
08-15-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by: Drbio
Very good move for the Suns. It tells me Finley is not going there no matter what though.

That's a comforting thought, but I wouldn't be so sure.

Drbio
08-15-2005, 08:49 PM
Do you think Fin would play for the vet minimum when millions are available in Miami etc?

MavsFanFinley
08-15-2005, 08:59 PM
Do you think Fin would play for the vet minimum when millions are available in Miami etc?

I wouldn't rule it out just yet.

He knows the organization, good friend Nash will recruit him, and the fans still cheer him on.

I know Miami is the popular choice and many have it as a given. I'd just be a bit surprised if Fin already knows where he wants to go before knowing whether he's traded or waived.

Drbio
08-16-2005, 08:49 AM
I think Finley goes to a team with the full 5 mil left or one with a HUGE likelihood of a championship.

dalmations202
08-16-2005, 09:03 AM
How much of a difference is the "offset" amount on the new contract?

If Fin signs for 2 M, but that comes off of the 15M that Mark is paying, then Fin is really only seeing the 15M + a small %? Correctc?

So, if Fin signs for 5M instead of 2M but only gets a %, then he basically is going to get between 15M + 1M or 15M + 2M. I don't know if it will be that big of a difference or not. I know the Mavs want him to sign for more $$$, but I am not sure that he will actually pocket all that much more, so Phoenix/SA may very well be in the mix.

This is if I understand the new CBA where they put the part about not "totally" doubling up is correct.

Drbio
08-16-2005, 09:08 AM
That offset is to the new team owner, not the player.

MavsFanFinley
08-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Taken from the FWST article "So Long, Fin" this morning:

Nelson said the Mavs worked the phone lines aggressively all day and night Monday in a last-ditch attempt to trade Finley. He added that releasing Finley means he'll probably sign with Miami, Phoenix or another championship contender, but that they would have traded Finley to a lower-tier team if the opportunity presented itself.

Drbio
08-16-2005, 03:40 PM
2 things from that blurb MFF posted.

1. I really want to believe they tried to trade him....but I don't. I still believe Cuban is hell bent on saving dollars over improving the team.

2. Cuban is an asshole for targeting lower quality teams. Trade him to the best return and then we can beat him on the court. This bury him in a crap city mantra is really pissing me off.

Joey
08-16-2005, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by: Drbio
2 things from that blurb MFF posted.

1. I really want to believe they tried to trade him....but I don't. I still believe Cuban is hell bent on saving dollars over improving the team.

2. Cuban is an asshole for targeting lower quality teams. Trade him to the best return and then we can beat him on the court. This bury him in a crap city mantra is really pissing me off.

What are your true feelings on the subject Doc?

EricaLubarsky
08-17-2005, 04:16 PM
Doc is obviously a bigger fan of Finley than a fan of the Mavs if he would want us to waive Finley and let him sign with a competitor rather than trade Finley to a team where he wouldnt do us any harm.

LRB
08-17-2005, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Doc is obviously a bigger fan of Finley than a fan of the Mavs if he would want us to waive Finley and let him sign with a competitor rather than trade Finley to a team where he wouldnt do us any harm.

That's far from obvious, just as it's not obvious that you want the Mavs to lose because you'd rather seen the Mavs trade Fin for garbage that we don't need rather than getting something of value for him.

jayC
08-17-2005, 10:33 PM
Grant couldn't help the Lakers so he will help improve the Suns D. I don't get what the suns are doing. The lowly Knicks who are deprived of big men don't want you and so that is an upgrade. The Knicks also recieved nate robinson in the deal. Maybe Grant in 99 would be a great fit. Grant know ahh not really.

fin4life
08-18-2005, 08:57 AM
Grant is too slow for the sun's game. I dont see him helping that team out too much. This reminds me of the Mavs getting Danny Forston after our 60 win season to help out the center rotation. It just doesnt help to get fat 6'9" PF/C with bad knees when you have an athletic running and gunning team. I think the suns are going to have a tough year next year (but still win about 55 games).

BTW... Brian Grant will hardly get off the bench.

EricaLubarsky
08-18-2005, 04:15 PM
what is up with the Suns. They give away Voskuhl because they say he doesnt fit their style, then they grab soon-to-be 33 year old K. Thomas, 33 year old Brian Grant, and 32 year old Pat Burke-- all of whom move like manufactured homes.

EricaLubarsky
08-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by: LRB

Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky

That's far from obvious, just as it's not obvious that you want the Mavs to lose because you'd rather seen the Mavs trade Fin for garbage that we don't need rather than getting something of value for him.

That is such BS and you know it. Doc was pissed that we tried to drop finley on a team that Finley didnt want to play for.

Hmm lets see.. my way Finley is unhappy but we get a second round pick or maybe even a protected first which we could have used, AND-- AND we make sure Finley doesnt bite us in the ass. There is a lot more value in that than there is in giving him away for nothing where he is free to sign for a rival.

So much for me wanting the Mavs to lose. Just takes a little thought to realize that that is way off base.