PDA

View Full Version : Finley Meets with a Coach

MavsFanFinley
08-20-2005, 02:50 PM
The whole story is about the Joe Johnson trade so I posted the link but the last line is what caught my attention. If Finley's agent is to be believed, Finley was going to visit 3 teams before making a decision. This is the first I've read or heard about him making a visit to a team.

Link (http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0820suns0820.html)

The Suns are also vying to land Michael Finley, who visited with Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni at a wedding Thursday night.

MavsFanFinley
08-20-2005, 11:44 PM
Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/sports/pistons/pistons20e_20050820.htm)

Pistons wait on Finley

BY KRISTA LATHAM
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER
August 20, 2005

Looks like the Michael Finley clock will tick through at least one more weekend.

Some published reports Friday said Finley, a free-agent guard/forward from Dallas whom the Pistons covet, was a certainty to sign with Miami.

But several league officials contacted Friday said that's not accurate and that the Pistons are still thick in the Finley waiting game.

It seems clear that Finley, 32, who cleared waivers Thursday, isn't rushing into a decision.

His top two choices appear to be the Heat -- home of Shaquille O'Neal, a revamped roster and high expectations for 2005-06 -- and the Pistons, who can offer the same money ($5 million) for a job backing up Tayshaun Prince and Richard Hamilton.

Minnesota, Denver and San Antonio also reportedly have talked to Finley's representatives. Finley became a free agent after the Mavericks bought him out under the NBA's new amnesty clause.

Pistons officials and a close relative of Finley's said they weren't sure what his decision hinged on -- money, playing time, location, championship potential or a mixture of all those factors.

His agent, Henry Thomas, did not return calls for comments.

And so the wait goes on.

"It would be frustrating if we had a team much more incomplete than ours," said John Hammond, the Pistons' vice president of basketball operations. "But our roster is fairly complete. We're just looking for something to help us."

Some other free agents on the market appear to be waiting for Finley's move.

Minnesota small forward Latrell Sprewell reportedly will pick between Houston and the Pistons, if Finley picks Miami. Sprewell's agent, Robert Gist, didn't return calls seeking comment.

Finley's decision also might be holding up Pacers free agent Dale Davis from signing. Pacers chief executive officer Donnie Walsh said he is still interested in signing the veteran forward, but a report said Davis would choose between the Pistons and Seattle on Friday.

No decision from Davis came, and league officials said they didn't expect one before Finley makes his call.

alby
08-21-2005, 12:21 AM
I would be ticked off at the Mavericks organization if Finley does well with coming off the bench and accepts considerably less minutes on another team. My whole argument against Finley was that he wasn't able to realize the role he should have with the Mavericks and that's why it was time for us to let him go in light of going in a new direction. But, if he is able to come off the bench and do nothing but shoot 5 shots a game on another team, I would definitely consider that AJ and Cuban ran him out of town.

chumdawg
08-21-2005, 02:56 AM
Pick Miami, Mike. Pick Miami.

Milles
08-21-2005, 03:56 AM
Interesting, the article did not mention the Suns. I wonder if they are out of the hunt.

FreshJive
08-21-2005, 05:59 AM
Am I the only one on the site that wants to see Fin in Phoenix? I don't think the Mavs are going to contend this year, so I would rather have a team full of three of my fav ex mavs (Nash, Fin, Bell) running an offense that I enjoy watching than seeing Fin piggy back Shaq or backing up Rip.

MavsFanFinley
08-21-2005, 12:02 PM
I don't believe Fin is sold on Miami like most think he is. He's being offered what most thought he wanted: the full MLE and a starting job yet he continues to talk with other teams. I know there is no need to rush into a decision without considering all his options but I'm starting to believe he won't end up in Miami. I'm no longer hoping he signs there as well.

I think it's between Detroit and Phoenix ... and maybe SA. I hope he chooses Detroit or SA but won't be disappointed if he goes back to Phoenix.

In other news regarding Miami:

Walker's Physical Leads Miami To Cut Two Guaranteed Years Off Contract

21st August, 2005 - 11:49 am

ESPN - Antoine Walker's physical gave the Heat cause for pause, so much so that his contract is now guaranteed for four years instead of the original six year, The Boston Globe reported.

Walker, acquired in a 13-player deal from the Boston Celtics , and his agent Mark Bartelstein feel that Walker will earn the entire six-year deal in the long run.

"I believe Antoine will get every dollar of the six years," Bartelstein told the paper. "I don't think anything will change. From a practical standpoint, nothing has changed. We think he'll get every dollar of the six years and it won't be an issue at all."

Bartelstein also emphasized that Walker did not fail the physical.

"What happened is, there were some concerns about some issues," Bartelstein told The Globe. We addressed the concerns and I believe he's going to get the full $53 million of his contract."

aexchange
08-21-2005, 12:52 PM
he won't go to phoenix. he hasnt been a free agent before and is taking his sweet time.

the way phoenix is currently consituted makes them unlikely to get out of the first round. stoudamire will be exposed as an overrated piece of crap.

birdsanctuary
08-21-2005, 03:03 PM
I think Cuban has a deal with Fin to pay him the final years of his contract in larger lump sums in return for going to an Eastern conference team. Fin would have a bigger role with Detroit, but may put Miami over the top... that is if they don't self destruct like LA did a few years ago.

SeriousSummer
08-21-2005, 03:22 PM
I read that Cuban might have 20 years to pay out Finley's contract--that makes the dollars Finley signs for now that much more important. He'll "only" be bringing home $2.5 million per year--if he signs for the full $5 million mid-level exception, then, even after the deduction that goes back to the Mavs, he'll ne $5.5 million. That's a big raise from the LLE where he nets only $4 million.

This also helps Cuban. It takes $6 million off the luxury tax.

alby
08-21-2005, 05:25 PM
I think he may be questioning with signing with Miami is because he knows a team with his Chicago buddy, Antoine Walker, isn't going anywhere i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

MavsFanFinley
08-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Boy, the years Cuban can pay out to Finley is rising with each day.

Art Garcia (I think it was in the same article he said a trade was on the table) was the first to report on the stretch provision in Finley's contract. He said that the Mavs would pay Finley just under $5 million for multiple years.

Ric Bucher said it was about 15.

Now it's 20?

I still think the league would have a fit with an agreement like that. Cuban is bribing Finley, no other way to put it. Obviously nothing would have been signed so not much the league could do in the way of proving it, I guess. I just don't get why Finley would be talking with west coast teams then. Why waste there time and hopes when he knows he's not signing with them? He might be enjoying his free agency but I don't see him stringing a team along.

aexchange
08-21-2005, 09:00 PM
i think he's just driving up the number of years between detroit, miami, and indiana. i can see any of them willing to offer the full $5M over 2 years. i imagine finley is looking for a 3 or 4 year fully guaranteed deal.

the longer he holds out, the more his value goes up.

Drbio
08-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Good point AEx.

alby
08-21-2005, 11:14 PM
All i know, i would love to be 52 years old and still get paid for playing in the nba...

MavsFanFinley
08-21-2005, 11:29 PM
If we know about a deal that might be in place with Cuban then every GM knows about it too. I don't see what leverage Finley has then.

In other news, Derek Anderson will sign with Houston at the end of the week and the Lakers agreed to terms with Aaron McKee.

Spreewell was waiting on Finley before choosing Detroit or Houston. I guess if Finley goes with Detroit then Spree heads to Miami?

alby
08-21-2005, 11:31 PM
that would be an allstar team of egos

shaq
walk
jwill
spree
zo

MavsFanFinley
08-22-2005, 12:24 AM
For what it's worth, Rob Parker just said on Sports Final Edition that his moles are saying Finley will be going to the Suns.

This was posted on a couple different Pistons boards. I should note that most posters said to take it with a grain of salt since this guys "moles" have never gotten much right.

chumdawg
08-22-2005, 12:57 AM
Let's see. The Suns would probably put this starting lineup out there:

Thomas
STAT
Marion
Finley
Nash

If they aren't facing a horse in the middle, that's stout. Now, they do have Grant to back up Thomas, but they could also go with:

STAT
Marion
Bell
Finley
Nash

It's still pretty damn dangerous.

All they need is some beef off the bench the bench to square up against the Shaq's and Diop's of the world. Barbosa and Bell and Jackson give them enough depth in the backcourt. They could use another guy to back up the four, but other than that, that's a tough playoff rotation.

Milles
08-22-2005, 02:14 AM
If he is looking for a starting job, Phoenix has one ready and waiting for him. If it is money, it is not going to be Phoenix. In Detroit he would be looking at the bench and as already stated, Miami looks like a battle of egos, which could also be interpreted as head cases.

Thespiralgoeson
08-22-2005, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Let's see. The Suns would probably put this starting lineup out there:

Thomas
STAT
Marion
Finley
Nash

If they aren't facing a horse in the middle, that's stout. Now, they do have Grant to back up Thomas, but they could also go with:

STAT
Marion
Bell
Finley
Nash

It's still pretty damn dangerous.

All they need is some beef off the bench the bench to square up against the Shaq's and Diop's of the world. Barbosa and Bell and Jackson give them enough depth in the backcourt. They could use another guy to back up the four, but other than that, that's a tough playoff rotation.

Oh my good god, Chum... Chum... you actually referred to Amare as "STAT"?! tsk tsk tsk...

MavsFanFinley
08-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Miami Herald (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/basketball/12444520.htm) (requires registration)

Heavy sales pitch planned for Finley

BY BARRY JACKSON
Posted on Mon, Aug. 22, 2005

The Heat will make a full-court press to sign free agent swingman Michael Finley during an expected visit to South Florida early this week.

Eager to impress him, the Heat has placed 20 posters of Finley wearing a #4 Heat uniform on light poles on streets next to AmericanAirlines Arena. One associate said Sunday he expected Finley to visit with Heat officials today.

The Heat is believed to be offering Finley the full $5 million mid-level exception. Finley, who averaged 15.7 points for Dallas last season, has strong interest in the Heat, sources said, but associates said he also in recent days has been considering San Antonio, Detroit and Phoenix.

The Pistons and Heat could each offer $5 million. The Spurs could offer slightly more than $2.5 million, but the Suns could offer only the $1.1 million veteran's minimum. Finley is believed to have already spoken with Heat president Pat Riley.

This gal has been writing all weekend about how the Pistons still have a chance but writes today that Finley is expected to choose the Heat today.

It's just as much a guessing game to them as it is to us. I think he'll visit one more team like his agent predicted and then make his choice.

Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/sports/pistons/pistons22e_20050822.htm)

Finley likely to pick Heat
Sprewell, Davis next on Pistons' shopping list

August 22, 2005
BY KRISTA LATHAM
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Michael Finley's decision should come today, and insiders expect it will be Miami, not Detroit.

The shooting guard is the hottest commodity left on the NBA free agent market and Detroit's No. 1 target since Dallas waived him last week under the new amnesty clause. And though the veteran has shown some interest in joining the Pistons as a backup for Tayshaun Prince and Richard Hamilton, a league source said it looks like Finley wants to join Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade in sunny south Florida.

Both teams have a full, $5-million mid-level salary-cap exception to offer as well as good chances to win an NBA title. Miami lost to the Pistons in the Eastern Conference finals last year. Minnesota, San Antonio, Phoenix and Denver also wish to snag Finley.

But Finley's feelings are still somewhat a guessing game. He hasn't spoken publicly since the Mavericks waived him Aug. 15 to save nearly $60 million in luxury taxes, and his agent hasn't returned phone calls seeking comment.

The NBA free agent market slowed to a trickle last week as other players and teams waited for Finley to make a decision.

Once he signs, the race will begin for teams to sign the remaining free agents. That list includes Indiana big man Dale Davis and Minnesota small forward Latrell Sprewell, both of whom the Pistons have spoken with.

Davis' agent Chubby Wells said Davis will wait for Finley's move before deciding between Detroit and Cleveland. The Cavaliers intensified their interest in the veteran over the weekend, and the Pistons also have an offer on the table should Finley choose another team.

"Detroit's the front-runner," Wells said. "Everything is stuck right now as we wait for Michael Finley."