PDA

View Full Version : Finley to sign with Heat as early as today.

BiggD
08-22-2005, 04:57 PM
Heard this on the radio around 3pm today. espn1033 sports update.

echo
08-22-2005, 05:20 PM
Good for Mike. Pretty much expected him to go to Miami since they have the MLE. Detroit signing Dale Davis pretty much seals the deal. I would have been shocked to see him take the vet minimum in Phoenix.

Now it will be fun to see how the Miami thing plays out. They look great on paper, but will the egos mesh???

Drbio
08-22-2005, 05:32 PM
I'm guessing either 3 years 15+ or 4 years 20+.

Excellent signing for the Heat who are now at a minimum the prohibitive favorites to win it all. I can't wait to order my Heat Finley jersey.

MrCheerios
08-22-2005, 05:45 PM
Detroit got Dale Davis and Miami got Finley? Damn, those teams are going to be tough. Seriously, those teams got the exact type of players they needed today.

Dirkenstien
08-22-2005, 06:26 PM
Miami sure will be a fun team to watch next season. Wish you luck, Fin.

MavsFanFinley
08-22-2005, 07:39 PM
Heat fans have been listening to ESPN and there has been no mention of Finley and a possibility of him signing today. In fact, Heat officials confirmed on the radio that they met with Finley in Chicago today and that the meeting went well. And that they know he'll meet with other teams before making a decision.

I guess Stein got it all right in his article below.

No quick decision expected from Finley

By Marc Stein

Face-to-face negotiations are under way in the Michael Finley sweepstakes, but no signing commitment is expected from the in-demand former All-Star before next week at the earliest.

Sources close to the process have told ESPN.com that Finley and agent Henry Thomas have invited the leading suitors to Chicago for sitdowns in Finley's hometown as opposed to launching into a series of recruiting trips.

The Miami Heat's Pat Riley and Stan Van Gundy was the first to visit Finley on Monday, with delegations from the Phoenix Suns (Tuesday), San Antonio Spurs (Thursday) and Detroit Pistons (TBD) also scheduled for visits this week.

There is likewise a chance that the Minnesota Timberwolves will be the fifth team to get an up-close chance to woo Finley, with the most prominent casualty of the NBA's new amnesty clause apparently intent on a deliberate evaluation of his options. The 10-year veteran was waived by the Dallas Mavericks late last Monday and became an unrestricted free agent after clearing waivers Thursday.

Riley, Minnesota star Kevin Garnett, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and ex-Dallas teammate Steve Nash are among the luminaries who have personally reached out to Finley by phone since he was released.

Suns coach Mike D'Antoni, meanwhile, enjoyed an unexpected head start in the lobbying process late last week when he and Finley were guests at the Phoenix wedding of Mavericks athletic trainer Casey Smith, a former Suns employee.

Various league executives have maintained for weeks that Miami is the heavy favorite to land Finley, with the Heat able to offer a full mid-level exception of $5 million next season and the lure of playing alongside Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade, who's also represented by Thomas. Finley, furthermore, is quite familiar with Van Gundy, having played for him at Wisconsin.

Yet, sources insist that Finley has not yet established a favorite. Intensely private throughout his eight-plus seasons in Dallas, Finley has been typically tight-lipped about his future, telling reporters at Nash's July 29 charity game that he wasn't ready to discuss the prospect of free agency and declining interview requests since being waived by the Mavericks.

Thomas, though, did confirm last week that Finley is "most interested" in joining a team with championship potential.

Of the four teams that best fit that description, Miami and Detroit can both offer a starting salary of $5 million. The Pistons, however, are poised to cut into their mid-level exception to sign power forward Dale Davis this week -- and potentially take themselves out of the running -- if they sense that Finley's interest is waning.

San Antonio and Phoenix are the other two teams, but going to either of the Mavericks' Western Conference rivals will require Finley to make a financial sacrifice. The Spurs are limited to offering a starting salary of just over $2.5 million, and Phoenix can't pitch anything more than the veteran minimum of $1.1 million for the 2005-06 campaign.

Thomas, though, did confirm last week that Finley is "most interested" in joining a team with championship potential. Of the four teams that best fit that description, Miami and Detroit can both offer a starting salary of $5 million. Going to either of the Mavericks' Western Conference rivals in that category will require Finley to make a financial sacrifice, since San Antonio is limited to offering a starting salary of just over $2.5 million, and Phoenix can't offer more than the veteran minimum of $1.1 million for the 2005-06 campaign.

The Mavericks tried for weeks to trade Finley to an Eastern Conference team before waiving him in hopes of keeping the swingman away from the Spurs or Suns. Reports persist that Mavericks owner Mark Cuban was prepared to offer Finley a restructured payment schedule on the nearly $52 million left on Finley's contract to help persuade him to go East, but NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com that no such deal was struck.

The presence of San Antonio and Phoenix on Finley's list of finalists indeed suggests no such arrangement exists. A "spread provision" in Finley's Dallas contract stipulates that, upon being waived, his remaining salary will be paid in annual installments of less than $5 million.

Update from ESPN wire:

MIAMI -- Free-agent swingman Michael Finley met Monday in his hometown of Chicago with Miami Heat president Pat Riley and coach Stan Van Gundy to discuss a possible contract, the team said.

"A good meeting," Riley said.

The Heat expect Finley to talk to other teams before making a decision. Miami can offer him the full $5 million mid-level exception.

"We got some face time, and the ball is in his court," team spokesman Tim Donovan said.

In anticipation of a possible deal, the team placed 20 posters of Finley wearing a Heat uniform on light poles on the streets near the team's arena.

Finley averaged 15.7 points last season, his lowest average since joining the Dallas Mavericks in 1996. They waived the two-time All-Star on Monday.

The Detroit Pistons and Denver Nuggets are among other teams holding onto their mid-level salary cap exceptions, and each is believed to have interest in Finley. Phoenix and San Antonio have interest, too, but the Suns could only offer the veteran's minimum, and the Spurs have only a portion of their mid-level exception remaining.

alby
08-22-2005, 07:56 PM
another quality big man for Detroit, good God.

imo, miami will have a big midseason trade right before the deadline, that team has the makings of blowing up..

Drbio
08-22-2005, 08:14 PM
I just read an ESPN report that said that Finley is requiring the interested teams to come see him in Chicago. Nothing like being in a position of power. Go Finley!

MavsFanFinley
08-22-2005, 08:19 PM
Miami does look good on paper:

O'Neal | Mourning | Doleac | Barron
Haslem | Walker | Simien
Finley | Posey | Wright
Wade | Walsh | Emmett
Williams | Fitch

alby
08-22-2005, 08:24 PM
Looks good to butt heads, yes.

Drbio
08-22-2005, 08:27 PM
[out on limb] If Miami signs Finley, they are my immediate favorite to win the championship. [/off limb]

alby
08-22-2005, 08:28 PM
explain to me how

Drbio
08-22-2005, 08:30 PM
Shaq....Shaq....and a great supporting cast. Seriously...that is one damn good basketball team.

alby
08-22-2005, 08:30 PM
can you distribute the minutes for me

Drbio
08-22-2005, 08:33 PM
No. I'm watching the Cowboys dang it. The minutes distribution is a nice problem to have. That teams success likely rides on each man accepting a few less minutes for the benefit of team success. I think Van Gundy is capable of pulling that off althoguh if not Riley will be close behind.

mavs413
08-22-2005, 08:55 PM
I'm with Doc on this one, Miami has everything that makes a Championship team.
Alby, after reading your posts in this thread, it sounds like your trying to convince Yourself that Miami is going to do nothing next year.
Why dont you explain to us why they are going to "butt heads".

aexchange
08-22-2005, 08:56 PM
as long as walker plays 20 min a game, the heat have to be considered favorites with san antonio.

if walker plays more than 20 minutes a game for the heat, shaq is going to be pissed off.

echo
08-22-2005, 08:59 PM
Even if it's not "official" I think it's pretty much assured Finley winds up in Miami now. Detroit either got tired of waiting or figured he was a lock to sign with Miami anyway, hence the hurry to sign Davis before someone else did. Who besides Miami and Denver have the MLE left? I just can't see Finley signing for the vet minimum to play with his buddy Nash. I imagine he's toying with Miami talking to other teams in an attempt to get a longer deal.

Assuming he's in Miami, I'm really interested to see how that plays out. Shaq and Wade are #1 and #2 and will get 35 minutes a game. How do Finley, Walker, J. Williams, Haslem and Posey follow in the pecking order? All of those guys can't get 30 minutes a game. They either win the championship or become the 03-04 Mavs!

echo
08-22-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by: alby
another quality big man for Detroit, good God.

imo, miami will have a big midseason trade right before the deadline, that team has the makings of blowing up..

Detroit will be tough! The East is no longer a stepchild to the West.

BTW I think signing Davis may mean Darko will be moved. Darko will have no value if he is buried again, and he will be buried behind that front line.

Drbio
08-22-2005, 09:41 PM
MIAMI (AP) -- Free-agent swingman Michael Finley met Monday in his hometown of Chicago with Miami Heat president Pat Riley and coach Stan Van Gundy to discuss a possible contract, the team said.

"A good meeting," Riley said.

The Heat expect Finley to talk to other teams before making a decision. Miami can offer him the full $5 million mid-level exception.

"We got some face time, and the ball is in his court," team spokesman Tim Donovan said.

In anticipation of a possible deal, the team placed 20 posters of Finley wearing a Heat uniform on light poles on the streets near the team's arena.

Finley averaged 15.7 points last season, his lowest average since joining the Dallas Mavericks in 1996. They waived the two-time All-Star on Monday.

The Detroit Pistons and Denver Nuggets are among other teams holding onto their mid-level salary cap exceptions, and each is believed to have interest in Finley. Phoenix and San Antonio have interest, too, but the Suns could only offer the veteran's minimum, and the Spurs have only a portion of their mid-level exception remaining.

alby
08-22-2005, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by: mavs413
I'm with Doc on this one, Miami has everything that makes a Championship team.
Alby, after reading your posts in this thread, it sounds like your trying to convince Yourself that Miami is going to do nothing next year.
Why dont you explain to us why they are going to "butt heads".

I just can't see those players being able to put individual pride aside and sacrifice for the team.

career averages: shot attempts

18.6 Walker (13.8 with Fin/Dirk/Nash/Jamison)
18.3 Shaq
16.5 Finley
15.3 Wade
11.6 Posey
11.1 Williams
91.4 Total

Wade, Walker, Williams, and Shaq demand the ball like #1 options.
Shaq complained from not being utilized enough last season, how does this lineup help that?
Who are they going to go to down the stretch, Wade? Who is going to give him the ball with the game on the line? Jwill? Antoine Walker?

Yes, the Heat have the best team in the dreamworld but so did the Lakers w 4 hall of famers (Kobe/Shaq/Malone/GP), the Rockets w 4 hall of famers (Pippen/Drexler/Barkley/Hakeem), etc.

No question they are one of the elite teams in the NBA because of the fact that they have Shaq, but labeling them the clear cut favorite to take the title? I don't believe so, in fact I would consider the Pistons having a better chance.

mavs413
08-22-2005, 11:35 PM
Why are you looking at career averages?
Last year:
Walker in Boston - 15.2
Shaq - 15
Finley - 14.2
Wade - 17.1
Posey - 7.1
Williams - 9.1
77.7 Total, not 91.4 - Dont make it look worse than it really is.
Mavericks top 6 in FG attempts in 04-05 was 73.8.

alby
08-23-2005, 02:01 AM
if you dont think that group of guys has the makings of having any chemistry issues whatsoever, then why am i even wasting my time =\

MavsFanFinley
08-23-2005, 09:16 AM
Miami had Riley and Steve Van Gundy make there pitch yesterday.

Suns have Sarver, Colangelo, and Stoudamire make there pitch today.

No word yet on who the Spurs are sending tomorrow.

Drbio
08-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Interesting that Steve Cash isn't travelling with the Suns contingent.

JLEEHASMUCHGAME
08-23-2005, 11:52 AM
As much as I hate seeing Fin leave the Mavs, I love the fact that he's drawing so much attention from so many teams and the national media. I love seeing that he is appreciated throughout the league and not just in Dallas.

Joey
08-23-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by: JLEEHASMUCHGAME
As much as I hate seeing Fin leave the Mavs, I love the fact that he's drawing so much attention from so many teams and the national media. I love seeing that he is appreciated throughout the league and not just in Dallas.

But he never had the leagues interest while in Dallas...I mean Dallas players never get respect until they are no longer here. Dirk finishing 3rd in the MVP race is the closest to respect anyone has given any Dallas player.

V2M
08-23-2005, 03:04 PM
Finley, Heat have 'good meeting' in Chicago
BY BARRY JACKSON, bjackson@herald.com
August 23, 2005

The Heat, considered by many to be the front-runner in the Michael Finley sweepstakes, became the first team to meet with the free agent swingman Monday.

Detroit on Monday gave indications it would give free agent forward Dale Davis $3.5 million of its midlevel exception.

ADVERTISEMENT
If the deal is signed, that would leave Miami as the only title contender that has the full $5 million exception to offer Finley.

Phoenix can offer only the veteran's minimum ($1.1 million), and San Antonio can offer only about $2.5 million.

Monday's meeting in Chicago included Finley, Chicago-based agent Henry Thomas (who also represents Heat guard Dwyane Wade), Heat president Pat Riley and coach Stan Van Gundy (who coached Finley at the University of Wisconsin). ''It was a good meeting,'' Riley relayed through a team spokesman.

Phoenix, Detroit and San Antonio have meetings with Finley scheduled in the next few days. Minnesota, which is also pursuing Finley, already has used half of its midlevel exception to re-sign Eddie Griffin.

Though many expect Finley to end up with the Heat, he conveyed to suitors that he entered this week's series of meetings with an open mind.

The Heat's meeting with Finley was originally expected to be in South Florida, but Finley -- who was born in Illinois -- decided to hold all the meetings in Chicago. As a result, the Heat on Monday removed 20 posters of Finley wearing a Heat jersey that had been placed on poles next to AmericanAirlines Arena.

The Heat's perimeter options beyond Finley continued to dwindle in recent days. Guard Aaron McKie agreed to terms with the Lakers, and guard Derek Anderson joined Houston.

Among those monitoring the Finley sweepstakes is Heat free agent point guard Damon Jones.

The Heat prefers to re-sign Jones for a contract starting at no more than $3 million -- the most Miami could offer without cutting into its $5 million midlevel exception. The Heat is holding on to its $5 million exception for Finley.

If Finley signs elsewhere, Jones is hopeful the Heat would give him most of the exception money, according to associates.

Cleveland remains a strong option for Jones if he doesn't re-sign with the Heat.

Updated on Tuesday, Aug 23, 2005 2:01 am EDT

MavsFanFinley
08-23-2005, 04:02 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/media/photo/2005-08/19106436.jpg

chumdawg
08-23-2005, 04:22 PM
That uni's doing the right thing for Fin.

Drbio
08-23-2005, 04:45 PM
Good PR move by the Heat.

Dirkenstien
08-23-2005, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by: Drbio
Good PR move by the Heat.

Great PR move.

JLEEHASMUCHGAME
08-23-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by: Joey

Originally posted by: JLEEHASMUCHGAME

But he never had the leagues interest while in Dallas...I mean Dallas players never get respect until they are no longer here. Dirk finishing 3rd in the MVP race is the closest to respect anyone has given any Dallas player.

I think all the teams vying for a chance to get fin is a pretty good indication of how many teams respect, and had respeced, his abilities. They certainly weren't "interested" in him before because of his contract, but now that he can be had at a reasonable price, everyone in the league is lining up to sign him. Concerning the media, well, I guess respect from them only comes when teams win championships.

MavsFanFinley
08-23-2005, 10:42 PM
ChicagoJK posted this on the LMF board.

Just heard on the radio that Phoenix's Jet landed in Chicago today to wine and dine Michael Finley. Included in the welcoming party included the owner, GM, Amare, Shawn Marion and Raja Bell. Nash wasn't included but Finley played in Nash's all star game a few weeks ago in Canada.

Phoenix Suns entourage makes case to Finley

By BOB BAUM, AP Sports Writer
August 23, 2005

PRESCOTT, Ariz. (AP) -- The Phoenix Suns sent a six-person delegation, including three players, to meet with free agent guard Michael Finley in Chicago on Tuesday to try to persuade him to sign with the team that drafted him a decade ago.

``I think the meeting was productive,'' said Henry Thomas, Finley's agent, ``and Michael is still evaluating the teams that he is considering.''

Finley has narrowed his choices to Miami, Phoenix and NBA champion San Antonio. He hopes to make a decision by next week, Thomas said.

He met with Heat president Pat Riley and coach on Monday and will meet with Spurs officials later this week. The Detroit Pistons have fallen out of the picture after using most of their salary exception to sign Dale Davis.

``It was a nice meeting,'' Suns president Bryan Colangelo told The Associated Press just before flying back to Phoenix. ``We had a chance to talk to Michael and his agent and I would say that things went well. Hopefully the story line we presented was a compelling one.''

Joining Colangelo in the talks were team owner Robert Sarver, coach Mike D'Antoni and players Amare Stoudemire, Shawn Marion and Raja Bell. Not present but certainly a part of the campaign is Suns playmaker Steve Nash, a good friend and former Dallas Mavericks teammate of Finley.

Phoenix also has a message on its Web site urging fans to send e-mails pleading with Finley to come back to the Suns. Phoenix drafted Finley as the 21st pick overall in 1995. He was traded to Dallas in the 1996-97 season as part of the deal that brought Jason Kidd to the Suns.

The 32-year-old shooting guard has indicated he wants to play for a title contender, and the Suns believe they fit that description after an NBA-best 62 win season. Adding Finley would ease the impact of the departure of Joe Johnson, who went to Atlanta in a sign-and-trade deal after telling Sarver he no longer wanted to play for the Suns.

Miami can offer Finley the full $5 million midlevel exception, not to mention the opportunity to play with Shaquille O'Neal. The Suns can offer only the $1.1 million veteran's minimum.

Finley, who averaged a career-low 15.7 points last season, was waived by Dallas under a one-time ``amnesty clause'' that allows teams to cut players to keep their salaries from being subject to the NBA's luxury tax. Finley still will receive the $52 million remaining on his Dallas contract, but the Mavs won't have to pay that same amount in luxury tax, as they would have had he been kept on the roster.

GoMavsGo
08-24-2005, 01:05 AM
to tell you the truth, i really want to see fin with the suns...that way it would be so much sweeter to see the mavs beat nash and fin in the 06 west finals.

Milles
08-24-2005, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by: GoMavsGo
to tell you the truth, i really want to see fin with the suns...that way it would be so much sweeter to see the mavs beat nash and fin in the 06 west finals.

Yeah, that is what some posters said last summer when Nash went to a 29 win team. It is the old, be careful what you wish for.

FilthyFinMavs
08-24-2005, 02:20 AM
Yea Eff that. I'm still a Mavs fan at heart and I don't want to see Finley on any of the contenders in the West. Especally the Spurs and the Suns who are already a better team than us right now.

Its amazing how much love Finley is getting from the media right now. More love than he's recieved from the local media in the past 4-5 years. Just excited about his upcoming season. I hope he bounces back from last year and prove the doubters he still has something left in the tank.

aexchange
08-24-2005, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Yea Eff that. I'm still a Mavs fan at heart and I don't want to see Finley on any of the contenders in the West. Especally the Spurs and the Suns who are already a better team than us right now.

Its amazing how much love Finley is getting from the media right now. More love than he's recieved from the local media in the past 4-5 years. Just excited about his upcoming season. I hope he bounces back from last year and prove the doubters he still has something left in the tank.

the suns definately aren't a better team than us. they lost most of their ability to space the floor and hits 3's when johnson and richardson were shipped out. i think you'll see stoudamire have a much more difficult time this season b/c teams won't have to honor the 3 as much with just nash and marion out there. raja bell doesn't exactly strike fear in my heart.

san antonio is in a class of its own at this point. i love mr. fundamental.

dalmations202
08-24-2005, 08:10 AM
Let Fin go to Miami....and with tons of luck, let Dallas beat them in the Finals. That would be sweet. Of course that is after Dallas knocks off Houston in the first round, Phoenix in the second, and SA in the WCF.
I would be estatic.

Of course if it were Minn in the first round, LA in the second, and Sac in the WCF -- I'd take that as well.

Dreams, Dreams, Dreams.

chumdawg
08-24-2005, 10:53 AM
Let's be honest here. If the Mavs are going to win a championship next year or in the next couple years, they are either going to have win the division from San Antonio or they are probably going to have to win either three or four series in a row where they are decided underdogs. That is a steep, steep hill to climb.

LRB
08-24-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Let's be honest here. If the Mavs are going to win a championship next year or in the next couple years, they are either going to have win the division from San Antonio or they are probably going to have to win either three or four series in a row where they are decided underdogs. That is a steep, steep hill to climb.

The single best chance the Mavs have at winning a championship is winning their division and securring HCA through out the WC playoffs. I don't think HCA means as much in the finals because of the 2-3-2 format, but it's still nice. But if the Mavs don't win the division then their odds of winning it all are probably cut in half. It's no easy think to win 16 playoff games, but if you have to win 2 playoff series on the road in the WC just to get to the playoffs your chances are going to be greatly reduced.

We've had chances to take the division from SA a few times, but we always seem to falter down the stretch while they come through like champions. Until we can learn to play like champions when it means the most we're probably never going to sniff the finals.

MavsFanFinley
08-26-2005, 09:17 AM
Finley weighing sales pitch by Spurs

Mike Finger
Express-News Staff Writer
Web Posted: 08/26/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Having completed their pilgrimage to Michael Finley's home turf, officially joining the list of championship contenders vying for the coveted free agent's services, the Spurs head into yet another weekend ready to resume a familiar pastime.

Waiting.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich met with Finley in Chicago on Thursday, but a conclusion to the courtship isn't considered imminent. Finley, the 32-year-old swingman waived by Dallas earlier this month, will entertain representatives from Minnesota today. He then is expected to spend the next several days considering his options, which also include Miami and Phoenix.

"He's going to take the weekend to compare and contrast everything he heard, then figure out which situation will be the best for him," said Henry Thomas, Finley's agent. "I think the Spurs are right in there."

While the Spurs remain serious competitors in the Finley sweepstakes, they aren't the favorites. The Heat still own that designation, due mainly to their offer of a full $5million salary-cap exception. The Spurs have $2.5million available, while the Suns have just $1.1million.

But Thomas reiterated Thursday that Finley's decision won't be based on financial considerations alone, as his client still has $51.8million owed to him by the Mavericks. Thomas said Finley is more concerned with finding a team that meets other criteria, and the Spurs apparently have scored well in those areas.

"They've got a lot of things going for them," Thomas said. "The most obvious being that they just won a championship."

The Spurs are set to bring back most of the team responsible for winning that title their only offseason addition thus far has been Argentine center Fabricio Oberto but they would like to add a shooting guard or small forward to come off the bench.

Finley, who has had knee problems but shot 41 percent from 3-point range last season, would appear to be a perfect fit for that role. But if he elects to go to a team that can offer him more money or a higher-profile role, the Spurs won't have to look too far for a backup plan.

Devin Brown, the Spurs' restricted free agent, has yet to sign an offer sheet even though his agent insists he's generating interest from several teams. Utah met with Brown earlier this month, but the Spurs have the inside track to retain him because they have seven days to match any outside offer he receives.

Brown's agent, Darrick Powell, has maintained Brown wants to stay with the Spurs and hasn't grown impatient by the team's flirtation with Finley.

"Devin understands the situation. He understands the process," Powell said. "He's fine with it. We still have a decent amount of teams calling. We hope when this Michael Finley thing goes down, things will start moving."

Also Thursday, the Spurs officially unveiled their plans to move this year's training camp to the U.S. Virgin Islands, the homeland of Tim Duncan. The team will train for a week at the University of the Virgin Islands in St. Thomas beginning Oct.4.

MavKikiNYC
08-26-2005, 10:08 AM
Any idea why this is taking so long?

Why hasn't he signed with Miami already?

FINtastic
08-26-2005, 10:14 AM
I'm guessing he is taking his time because he know's other teams are willing to wait for his decision since he is the top free agent left on the market. He's knows he has the luxury of spending some time to make an informed decision, and I think he is taking advantage of that.

V2M
08-26-2005, 10:35 AM
This is the first time he's a FA... and probably the last time when he'd be a well-coveted one.
He's enjoying every bit of this, I bet. And he deserves to, of course.

Drbio
08-26-2005, 01:39 PM
It wouldn't Savovic shock me if he signed in San Antonio, but I still think he goes to Miami.

FilthyFinMavs
08-26-2005, 10:31 PM
Why would the Spurs sign him? I thought Finley didn't play defense?

Bayliss
08-26-2005, 10:37 PM

Because they could use a spot up shooter for 15 minutes that Manu won't play.

FilthyFinMavs
08-26-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by: Bayliss

Because they could use a spot up shooter for 15 minutes that Manu won't play.

But he doesn't play defense.

Bayliss
08-26-2005, 10:43 PM

Neither does Brent Barry and Rasho but they signed them.

FilthyFinMavs
08-26-2005, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by: Bayliss

Neither does Brent Barry and Rasho but they signed them.

Hmmm. Good point. Just seems odd the Spurs would be spending so much time on a guy who doesn't fit their system.

MavsFanFinley
08-26-2005, 11:19 PM
According to SA papers, Finley would play behind both Bowen and Ginobli. I think they have more than 15 minutes in mind for Finley though nothing would be promised, I'm sure. Not Pop's style. Throw in the rumors of Brent Barry on the block and it could be a very attractive place for Finley.

I've been meaning to ask ... has Finley ever talked about dying to play with Shaq or Wade? Or to play for Miami in general? I still haven't figured out why so many thought Miami was his only choice.

Milles
08-26-2005, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
According to SA papers, Finley would play behind both Bowen and Ginobli. I think they have more than 15 minutes in mind for Finley though nothing would be promised, I'm sure. Not Pop's style. Throw in the rumors of Brent Barry on the block and it could be a very attractive place for Finley.

I've been meaning to ask ... has Finley ever talked about dying to play with Shaq or Wade? Or to play for Miami in general? I still haven't figured out why so many thought Miami was his only choice.

I have never read anything about a desire to play with Shaq.

The other part as to why Miami, 1 money and 2 Shaq. We all saw how well that played out before when Malone and Payton, were recruited by Shaq.

Drbio
08-29-2005, 09:59 PM
Finley Decision May Come Down Today
Arizona Republic - 08/29 - 4:03 AM EST
Michael Finley was shocked when he was traded from the Suns at age 23. He said he thought they liked him. Nearly nine years later, he knows they do.

The Suns have extolled to Finley how much they love the idea of him playing for them again. Phoenix will hear if the feeling is mutual today or Tuesday, when the swingman, 32, is expected to announce his next career stop. Since being waived by Dallas for luxury tax savings two weeks ago, Finley has become as sought after as a parking spot in the shade.

He narrowed his options to Phoenix, Miami, San Antonio and Minnesota, all of which sent recruiting contingents to see him in Chicago last week.

With Finley aboard, the Suns plunk the sweet shooter into the starting backcourt with good friend Steve Nash and start talking title.

Without him, the expectations do not change much for a Phoenix franchise that can't replace Joe Johnson but has made moves to counter how it lost six of eight games to San Antonio last season.

The Suns' plate is full of wings. Phoenix's Shawn Marion, Jim Jackson, Raja Bell, James Jones, Leandro Barbosa, Boris Diaw and rookie Dijon Thompson all can man one of the wing positions.

rakesh.s
08-29-2005, 10:07 PM
I think he's going to sign with Phoenix or Minnesota....i'm also tired of the "i want to go where there's a chance to win" line. That seems to be the paradigm of the over 30, over the hill player.

He's going to go where he can start and play heavy minutes and get shots. That's not happening in Miami or San Antonio.

Drbio
08-29-2005, 10:13 PM
If you believe the Dtroit media or RealGM he is going to Alamo City.

dude1394
08-30-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by: BiggD
Heard this on the radio around 3pm today. espn1033 sports update.

Funny...8 days later, still no signing. Guess that espn1033 isn't much to bet on.

MavsFanFinley
08-30-2005, 11:18 PM
Who to believe?

Link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/marty_burns/08/30/steve.finley/)

Marty Burns had this article up this afternoon with Fin's quote below.

"I haven't decided yet," the free-agent shooting guard said Tuesday as he left the West Loop Athletic Club in Chicago, where he was working out with his personal trainer. "I should know by the end of the week."

Link (http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_14018.shtml)

Hoopsworld, so take it for whatever worth, posted this a bit ago. It says Finley has made his choice and the dominoes are ready to fall now. He and the Heat are close to a 3yr deal.

FreshJive
08-31-2005, 04:52 AM
Spurs coach likes Suns' shot to land Finley
Popovich cites undecided guard's opportunity to start, ties to Nash, Bell

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 31, 2005 12:00 AM

For every Suns fan pining for a morsel of hope that Michael Finley would have announced a return to Phoenix by now, here is a long-distance dedication from San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich:

"I'd be surprised if Phoenix wasn't his choice," Popovich told the San Antonio Express-News at a Spurs news conference welcoming ex-Finley teammate Nick Van Exel on Tuesday. "I think he's got a great opportunity to start there and play a lot of minutes. He's got great relationships with a couple of their players, Steve (Nash) and Raja (Bell, both ex-Dallas teammates). I think he'd be really comfortable there."

Alas, it means nothing until it comes out of the mouth of Finley or his agent, Henry Thomas. A Thomas assistant said Tuesday that Finley had not made a choice. A decision was expected early this week after Finley used the weekend to mull over in-person presentations from Miami, Phoenix, San Antonio and Minnesota. advertisement

Finley is either truly torn or still negotiating, creating more limbo for a Suns franchise that just went through the Joe Johnson ordeal. Phoenix is more than happy to wait out this one if it means landing Finley, waived by Dallas on Aug. 15 for luxury tax savings, for a $1.1 million salary this season.

The Suns have not been given any new timetable. Finley has no deadline, but given his private nature, he likely does not relish the spotlight of his most-wanted status.

If the delays have to do with negotiations, it could only be for more years in a contract elsewhere. None of the teams has salary-cap space to make a higher salary offer.

Miami has a $5 million midlevel exception that can be offered in a multi-year deal. San Antonio's and Minnesota's offers would start at only $2.5 million, making a long-term deal worth less than half of what the Heat can give him.

Phoenix would sign Finley to a one-year deal with a player option year, creating the flexibility for Finley to become a free agent again next summer or return to the Suns when they have their $5 million midlevel exception available again.

Because of an offset in the amnesty rule, Finley stands to net only $2 million more for the coming season if he is pitting Miami against Phoenix. However, Miami could offer Finley, 32, as much as three years for $16.2 million, four years for $22.4 million or five years for $29 million.

Finley, 49th on Sports Illustrated's list of wealthiest athletes for 2005, is owed $51.8 million by Dallas.

The Spurs perhaps give Finley his best shot at a title. He would start in Phoenix and could start in Miami, but might have to come off the bench with Van Exel in San Antonio behind guard Tony Parker and swingmen Bruce Bowen and Manu Ginobili.

Van Exel took the veteran's minimum before the Spurs even knew whether they needed the $2.5 million left on their midlevel exception for Finley. Van Exel also made a recruiting call Tuesday to Finley.

"I did my recruiting, but he didn't give me any hints," Van Exel told the Express-News. "I think he wants to keep it a big secret."