PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Where WILL Mike Finley end up?

chumdawg
08-26-2005, 02:12 PM
Let's see how well we know our little mavericks, present and past. Where does Mike sign?

chumdawg
08-26-2005, 02:14 PM
I vote San Antonio, because I think Mike really, really, really wants to end his career with at least one ring.

dirno2000
08-26-2005, 02:15 PM
Miami...I'll believe it's not about the money when I see it...

Drbio
08-26-2005, 04:15 PM
Heat 'em up Mike!

sike
08-26-2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by: dirno2000
ouch..

dalmations202
08-26-2005, 04:32 PM
I got Miami......the best guarantee out there is Shaq. Regardless of everything, Shaq is still the most dominant force in the game, although I am not sure he can overcome age, ego, and injuries.

dirno2000
08-26-2005, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by: sike

ouch..Not a knock on Fin...I just always believe it's about the money unless proven otherwise.

Hitman
08-26-2005, 07:08 PM
Shouldn't threads about Finley go in the "Around the NBA" section?

alby
08-26-2005, 07:55 PM

ouch..Not a knock on Fin...I just always believe it's about the money unless proven otherwise.

Not a knock on Fin...I just always believe it's about the minutes unless proven otherwise.

dude1394
08-26-2005, 08:07 PM

Me too. Who can pass up an extra..oh...15-20 mil.

If mike had one more year left maybe, but he's looking at a pretty long (3 years anyway) contract I imagine.

FilthyFinMavs
08-26-2005, 10:39 PM
Its interesting you bring up the T-Wolves. I never really thought about them as potentials. I wonder why they haven't been brought up as a potential team to get him. I vote Spurs. He wants a ring so why not go to the best team in the NBA that has the best player in the league? Miami is probably where he will end up.

MavsFanFinley
08-26-2005, 11:12 PM
FFM: Minnesota sent a crew to meet with Finley today.

Glen Taylor, Kevin Garnett, Dwane Casey, Kevin McHale and Jim Stack, will fly to Chicago in Taylor's private jet Friday to meet with free-agent guard Michael Finley. Garnett has been lobbying Finley to sign with the Wolves. Finley also is meeting this week with the Miami Heat, Phoenix Suns, San Antonio Spurs. The Wolves don't know what their chances are of signing the former Wisconsin star, but they're giving it their best shot.

The DMN had this posted tonight:

Finley drawing more interest:

Minnesota has made its pitch for Michael Finley.

The Timberwolves were the fourth team to travel to Chicago to meet with the former Mavericks guard. Denver had a strong interest in Finley but was told not to bother.

Henry Thomas, Finley's agent, has said that his client will take the weekend to decide between Miami, Phoenix, San Antonio and Minnesota.

V2M
08-27-2005, 09:18 AM
I say Miaimi for the following reasons:

1. Best chance to win a ring this year
2. Chance to get easy points as Wade and Shaq get doubled
3. Team that could offer him the most money
4. His friend Walker
5. Visibility (Heat will be the most televised and talked of team by far)
6. Same agent for Fin and Wade

dalmations202
08-27-2005, 09:25 AM

4. His friend Walker

and add to that Familiarity -- Stan Van Gundy was his college coach for 2 years.

MavKikiNYC
08-27-2005, 10:32 AM
I think he already has his mind made up. What makes the least sense to me is that Finley isn't going to look at the other teams' facilities, and let the other organizations show him the cities where he'd be moving.

I think that he'll go to Miami, and that Cuban will pay him faster for having gone East; and that this entire parade of suitors is just to make it look like Cuban's payment wasn't a major factor in his decision. A bit of NBA theater in case David Stern's thong gets twisted and bunched.

I hope that the idea that he's doing this because he needs his ego stroked is wrong. I think I'd lose a little regard for Fin if that were true--for someone who's accomplsihed as much as he has to orchestrate this little homage tour, so he can feel the love.

If that were true, it would give credence to a lot of the thinking that Fin has let his pride get in the way of what was best for the team, and that his ego had made him become difficult to work with.

I want to think more highly of him than that.

V2M
08-27-2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by: dalmations202

4. His friend Walker

and add to that Familiarity -- Stan Van Gundy was his college coach for 2 years.
Point. Considering all 7, you can't have a better no-brainer than this!

V2M
08-27-2005, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
I think he already has his mind made up. What makes the least sense to me is that Finley isn't going to look at the other teams' facilities, and let the other organizations show him the cities where he'd be moving.

I think that he'll go to Miami, and that Cuban will pay him faster for having gone East; and that this entire parade of suitors is just to make it look like Cuban's payment wasn't a major factor in his decision. A bit of NBA theater in case David Stern's thong gets twisted and bunched.

I hope that the idea that he's doing this because he needs his ego stroked is wrong. I think I'd lose a little regard for Fin if that were true--for someone who's accomplsihed as much as he has to orchestrate this little homage tour, so he can feel the love.

If that were true, it would give credence to a lot of the thinking that Fin has let his pride get in the way of what was best for the team, and that his ego had made him become difficult to work with.

Cuban reportedly said, recently on "Best Damn...", he offered to pay Fin faster if he agrees to go play in East. Supposedly, it was well within the league's rules. But, he added, Fin refused saying he wanted to keep all his options open.

MavKikiNYC
08-27-2005, 11:36 AM
Cuban reportedly said, recently on "Best Damn...", he offered to pay Fin faster if he agrees to go play in East. Supposedly, it was well within the league's rules. But, he added, Fin refused saying he wanted to keep all his options open.

Then I guess that leaves the other option.

Bystander
08-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Where will Finley end up? In the finals.

snoop
08-27-2005, 10:44 PM
faster money and miami beach! whats not to like

MavsFanFinley
08-27-2005, 11:29 PM

My guess is that Fin wanted to get down to the business of things instead of touring every city to let those show him all the benefits and splash of that city. Let's say that he was leaning heavily towards Miami but just couldn't sign on the line without hearing what the other teams had to offer. It's easier to meet in one place (agent's office) to discuss what both sides are looking for then to visit each city where fans are waiting at the arena or to see banners hanging on light posts or to show what attractions the city might have to offer. Or to see the arena and weight room and whether his locker was going to be next to Shaq's or Duncan's or Nash's, etc ...

If he wanted his ego stroked he would have made a city to city tour instead of the way he had it set up in his agents office. Sure, some owners brought coaches and players and books and emails to help make their pitch but you're still getting to the heart of the matter without all the other stuff I mentioned above.

Fin has the entire month of September (before training camp starts) to buy a new house, get acquainted with the city, to see the facilities and whatever else he might be looking for.

chumdawg
08-27-2005, 11:55 PM
True enough, MFF. Plus, it's not like he hasn't been around the league long enough to know what the other franchises are like. To me, it comes down to the title chances. And--and perhaps this is an interesting point that hasn't been given enough discussion--it's not necessarily the title chances in just this upcoming season. Fin has got a few seasons left in him. It's not one and out. If he were to ink with Miami for five years, he's stuck there. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fin sign a shorter deal--or at least a deal with player options--where he could move around if the landscape dictated such. A one-year deal with San Antonio would possibly open up the opportunity to sign with San Antonio next offseason for a longer-term deal.

sike
08-28-2005, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by: alby

Not a knock on Fin...I just always believe it's about the minutes unless proven otherwise.

ah...so young....

Speedy
08-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Finley eliminates Nuggets. Link (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/home/article/0,1299,DRMN_1_4035741,00.html)

Colangelo believes money will be a factor with Finley. Link (http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0828bickley0828.html) (middle of article)

snoop
08-29-2005, 12:23 PM
wow finley cares about money. i guess he forgot he has 51 mil coming to him. Maybe he is helping feed spree's family.

mavs413
08-29-2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by: snoop
wow finley cares about money. i guess he forgot he has 51 mil coming to him. Maybe he is helping feed spree's family.

When you look at the teams he has met with, obviously money is not his top priority. He just wants to go to a team that gives him the best chance to succeed and to get a ring. SA, PHX, MIA, MIN all have two things in common and that is a great big man, and a title opportunity. IMO, Miami has the best chance at a championship because of Shaq and Wade and I think that Finley thinks this too and thats why Miami is the favorite to land Mike.

madape
08-29-2005, 03:49 PM
The logical choice is Miami. However, logic sometimes yields to passion. A man who's been used as toilet paper is generally tempted to strike back at the man who pepetrated the disrespectful act.

jfossee
08-29-2005, 04:53 PM
Poor finley! What will he do with his $51 Mill.

madape
08-29-2005, 05:52 PM
likely win a championship... which is more than Cuban will do next year with his $2 Billion

Drbio
08-29-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by: jfossee
Poor finley! What will he do with his $51 Mill.

Why the animosity shown to a guy who bled Mavericks blue? Finley did nothing wrong here. He deserves better than having some prick smack him with stupid posts.

jfossee
08-29-2005, 07:27 PM
I got your prick!

Drbio
08-29-2005, 07:29 PM
Spit it out, it's not yours.

jfossee
08-29-2005, 07:34 PM
Childish little man...cant take the opinion of another?

Drbio
08-29-2005, 07:39 PM
I enjoy other opinions....just not stupidity. Funny you don't like the opinion above that your comment was in poor taste.

jfossee
08-29-2005, 07:40 PM
Hence your favorite "smart word" Prick!

Drbio
08-29-2005, 07:42 PM
Spit it out...enough already.

Thespiralgoeson
08-29-2005, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by: madape
The logical choice is Miami. However, logic sometimes yields to passion. A man who's been used as toilet paper is generally tempted to strike back at the man who pepetrated the disrespectful act.

Finley was given an enormous contract, one that was for more money and years than Finley's play was worth. Then he was waived and allowed to be the most sought-after free agent of many contending teams, while still not only being paid in full, but actually being making more money in the big picture. Damn, if that's what you call "being used as toilet paper" then sign me up! I wanna be used as toilet paper too!

Drbio
08-29-2005, 07:51 PM
I certainly wouldn't mind being in Finleys position, but we can't really put todays values on the contract. Back then it wasn't as outrageous to overpay a guy to a max contract. It was the way most teams did it under an old CBA. Don't you think that we would all have signed the deal? Of course. It's hard to bash FIn for agreeing to those amazing terms.

jfossee
08-29-2005, 07:57 PM
with that being said, should we shed tears now that he's gone? No! You act as if he has been treated so badly! He's getting his money, plus the chance to play for a team of his choice....

Drbio
08-29-2005, 08:48 PM
Who asked you to shed tears? Who said he was treated badly? Poor inference on your part. I guess you failed to actually read and only put some misguided implied intent in there somewhere. I said he deserves more respect than you were giving him, which is true.

#1MavsFan
08-29-2005, 11:45 PM
Fin denying Cubans contract that would allow him to get the 51mil in 3 years instead of around 12 years shows a lot about his character. If he's willing to risk that much money (take in to account the investments and what not he could do with the money) a few million will not persuade him one way or another. I'm thinking Fin to the Suns but Minny strikes a place he may end up to me since apparently Garnett went all out in trying to woo him and the Wolves guarantee Fin the #2 scoring option... he may want revenge on Cubes.

chumdawg
08-31-2005, 05:09 PM
I'm one of the nine who got it right. Once again, finger on the pulse, ear to the ground, and nose to the grindstone...

MavsMandy
08-31-2005, 05:20 PM
well, looks like it wasn't about the money or the minutes after all. really was about the chance at a championship. and maybe about the chance to get back at the mavs at least four times a year.