PDA

View Full Version : Back To Texas; Van Exel Comes To Terms With Spurs

MavsFanFinley
08-29-2005, 05:30 PM
Interesting. KAAB in SA last night said that the reason the Pistons dropped out of the Finley race was because he was a lock to go to SA.

I'd be interested in to see what they signed NVE with? If they dipped into the $2.5 they were offering Finley, that would be a good indication he isn't signing there. So what's the delay with Fin's decision?

Back To Texas; Van Exel Comes To Terms With Spurs

29th August, 2005 - 6:24 pm

RealGM - The San Antonio Spurs have reportedly signed veteran guard Nick Van Exel.

Van Exel was a key member of the Mavericks 2003 team that played the Spurs in the Western Conference Finals.

He went on to play for the Warriors in 2003-2004 and then the Blazers in 2004-2005

Misfit Mav
08-29-2005, 05:33 PM
You beat me to it:

Here's ESPN's notes:

Spurs sign Van Exel without cutting into Finley offerESPN.com news services

Tony Parker won't have to carry as much of the Spurs' load next season. San Antonio announced Monday that is has signed veteran guard Nick Van Exel.

"We are very happy to have Nick as a part of our team," coach Gregg Popovich said in a statement. "His leadership and skills will be assets at both ends of the floor."

The team did not disclose terms of the contract, but ESPN.com's Marc Stein reported that the Spurs were able to sign Van Exel without cutting into the estimated $2.5 million they have offered free-agent swingman Michael Finley for next season.

Selected by the Lakers with the 37th overall pick in the 1993 draft, Van Exel has averaged 15.1 points, 3.0 rebounds and 6.9 assists in 815 career regular-season games with the Lakers, Nuggets, Mavericks, Warriors and Trail Blazers.

Finley is expected to decide early this week whether to sign with the Spurs, Suns, Heat or Timberwolves

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2146285)

MavsFanFinley
08-29-2005, 05:43 PM
If you visit Spurstalk.com you can read a couple threads on this.

madape
08-29-2005, 05:46 PM
"Sloppy Seconds"

rakesh.s
08-29-2005, 05:57 PM
This isn't good...They have Horry AND Van Exel down the stretch now.

Thespiralgoeson
08-29-2005, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by: madape
"Sloppy Seconds"

Actually, with Nick that's like a sloppy fourth or fifth...

MavsFanFinley
08-29-2005, 05:59 PM
Pop was on the radio this afternoon talking about NVE (confirming the signing) and Finley. He said he expects MF to make his decision tomorrow or Wednesday the latest. That he was straight with him and said he'd be coming off the bench. Also mentioned that he thought he'd sign with Phoenix because of ties there and he'd be surprised if he went to Miami. And that he was straight with Devin Brown that if Finley is signed they would not be signing him.

It would be way too much if they add both NVE and Finley.

Drbio
08-29-2005, 06:49 PM
If the Spurs get both NVE and Finley, I will be a fan.

Dirkenstien
08-29-2005, 06:59 PM
And they just keep going and going and going...

will this team ever slow down?

DevinHarriswillstart
08-29-2005, 07:11 PM
I woulda rather had NVE as 3rd string then DA.

Thespiralgoeson
08-29-2005, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by: Dirkenstien
And they just keep going and going and going...

will this team ever slow down?

As of right now, they're still the best team with or without Fin/NVE. Van Exel makes little to no difference IMO. Fin would be a nice pickup for them, because every now and then it becomes clear that they need another shooter. But Fin will probably go with Miami anyway. I have a strong feeling that the Spurs have won their last championship. They were definitely the best team last year, and in 03, but the gap between them and the other title contenders isn't and never has been very large. This is why I don't see the Spurs as one of the NBA's great dynasties, like Bird's Celtics even though they've won the same number of titles. I'd rank the Spurs in the same category as Isiah's Pistons or Hakeem's Rockets. They're a great team, but I really don't think they're in a different class than Detroit, Indiana, the Mavs, or even Houston (I think Houston is an upgrade in the back-court away from being a championship team but that's another story) I honestly don't think the Spurs are out of the Mavs' reach at all. Although they're the better team as of right now, I could see the Mavs beating the Spurs in a seven-game series if Howard can step his game up another level, and if our backup C's can stay on the floor. Yeah, Duncan can't be guarded in the post, but for the Spurs, Dirk is even more unguardable on the perimeter. Even if Horry can give Dirk some trouble, we can throw KVH on the floor as the same time and that spells trouble for SA. San Antonio is the best team, but they're by no means unbeatable. See the Finals; Detroit took them to 7 games and almost won. I think the only reason Detroit didn't win that series is because they don't have a player that can take over the game offensively. In game 7, when Duncan got hot, the only answer they had offensively was Rasheed, and he just couldn't keep up. If they had something resembling a franchise player (Dirk, JO, KG, T-Mac etc...) I think Detroit wins that series. Likewise, I don't think it would be shocking at all to see SA dethroned by Dallas, Indiana, Miami or Houston.

Drbio
08-29-2005, 07:41 PM
Man I don't know. I look at the Spurs roster and the ages and potentials are still very strong. I wouldn't sell the Spurs short too fast. I think they are one of the top 3 favorites in the league. If they get Finley that solidifies my opinion of them.

sully41
08-29-2005, 07:58 PM
I would rather have NVE as 2nd string rather than Devin nevermind 3rd string

Thespiralgoeson
08-29-2005, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by: Drbio
Man I don't know. I look at the Spurs roster and the ages and potentials are still very strong. I wouldn't sell the Spurs short too fast. I think they are one of the top 3 favorites in the league. If they get Finley that solidifies my opinion of them.

I'm not selling them short at all. I think they're still the best team in the league, and if I had to pick a favorite right now, I'd pick them. I simply meant that they're not out of reach to the other contenders; they're not unbeatable. In the 80's it was either the Lakers or the Celtics. The only team that stood a chance against them was Philadelphia, and later Detroit. In the 90's, the Bulls were completely unbeatable, nobody could stop them. The Spurs just aren't in that category IMO.

dirno2000
08-29-2005, 08:22 PM
That's a point that doesn't get made enough...while the Spurs are without a doubt the class of the league, they were probably the weakest champion since the 95' Rockets. They were a couple of Robet Horry 3's away from Duncan's choking being the talk of the off season.

Drbio
08-29-2005, 08:45 PM
Gotcha spiral. I think the teams you mentioned are certainly able to beat them, but they are one of the elite teams.

rakesh.s
08-29-2005, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by: sully41
I would rather have NVE as 2nd string rather than Devin nevermind 3rd string

mavsfanforever
08-29-2005, 11:07 PM
Doesn't mean anything if they sign Nick. They were stronger than us anyway and have 3 rings. We were never as good as Spurs. So what if spurs get even better.

u2sarajevo
08-29-2005, 11:32 PM
F'em.

Thespiralgoeson
08-30-2005, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
Doesn't mean anything if they sign Nick. They were stronger than us anyway and have 3 rings. We were never as good as Spurs. So what if spurs get even better.

And that's assuming NVE even makes them better at all, which I don't think he does. F'em. Mark my words, the Spurs are goin down this year.

EricaLubarsky
08-30-2005, 02:07 AM
NVE is an aging, defense-less old ball hog. He has the skillset of Jerry Stackhouse only older, with better 3pt shooting and less height.

He wants a ring and probably won't contribute much to it. I just thank g-d that he isnt going to the Houston whiners.

chumdawg
08-30-2005, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by: dirno2000
That's a point that doesn't get made enough...while the Spurs are without a doubt the class of the league, they were probably the weakest champion since the 95' Rockets. They were a couple of Robet Horry 3's away from Duncan's choking being the talk of the off season.While I don't necessarily agree that it makes either of the teams "weak champions," I remember all too well the Lakers being an Horry three away from a Sacramento title, and before that a few free throws away from a Portland title, too. In fact, given the way that the Lakers lay down for the Pistons in '04, and the way the Lakers' WCF foe rolled up and played dead the following year, I think a case could be made that the Pistons could have been the...least powerful...team to win a title in the last ten years.

But still and all, your point is taken. It's not the Spurs were winning 72 games or anything.

Joey
08-30-2005, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
NVE is an aging, defense-less old ball hog. He has the skillset of Jerry Stackhouse only older, with better 3pt shooting and less height.

He wants a ring and probably won't contribute much to it. I just thank g-d that he isnt going to the Houston whiners.

Yeah, with his attitude combined with Sura and Barry's 'masturbatory' gesture...They would be absolutly terrible to watch!

dirt_dobber
08-30-2005, 09:15 AM
Not sure how NVE's free-spirited ways on the floor fit into Popovich's strict system,
I kind of liked Udrih's paly last year. This will be interesting to watch.

Intruder
08-30-2005, 09:27 AM
Beno was a no show in the finals, and most of the second half of the season. NVE is insurance that Parker will get some rest during the games. NVE is a very useful backup PG for this team.

Intruder

dalmations202
08-30-2005, 10:07 AM
NVE just makes a strong team stronger. I am much happier he is in SA where they really didn't need him that much, than him signing in Houston where he could have been the difference. NVE knocking down 3's with TMac creating, and Yao controlling the paint was scary. I don't think NVE's defense is any worse than Sura's.

NVE with Parker, Ginobli, and TD are of course scary, but if NVE is in, that probably means that Parker is out, which is at least a drop in defense.

Drbio
08-30-2005, 11:10 AM
I am much happier he is in SA where they really didn't need him that much, than him signing in Houston where he could have been the difference.

You know...that is a good point. Hadn't thought about it from that angle. I think a lot of people underestimate NVE.

HexNBA
08-30-2005, 12:03 PM
Van Exel's yo-yo career finds him back at the top

By signing a rejuvenated Nick Van Exel, the San Antonio Spurs are dusting off a vintage pistol that is ready to start firing as in days of old.

Van Exel is at his worst when he is playing with a bad team. But when Nick the Quick has something to play for, he is one of the most feared shooters in the league while donning his trademark Cheshire grin. And it's Van Exel's appetite for winning combined with his ability to to fill a significant bench need for the Spurs that made this odd couple a perfect fit when Van Exel was signed Monday night.

"Winning a championship would be the happiest feeling," Van Exel said. "In high school, I went to two state championship games and didn't win. In college with Cincinnati, I went to the Final Four and didn't win it. Now I have another chance. This is what you play for."

And because of what Van Exel plays for, NBA fans usually love him or hate him. There might not be a player in the league who wants to win more than Van Exel does. But that strong attribute also has worked strongly to his detriment.

Case in point: his experience with the Denver Nuggets, when he gave up nearly $13 million for the chance to win.

After growing tired of losing during the 2001-02 season with the then-doormat Nuggets, Van Exel asked team management to trade him. The final season of his contract was guaranteed at $12.8 million in the 2005-06 season. But for the orchestration of a 2002 seven-player trade to Dallas to work, Van Exel had to agree to make the final season a team option. The 1998 NBA All-Star, who averaged 17.7 points and 8.3 assists with the Nuggets from 1998 to 2002, said yes to a trade that also made him forever a villain in Denver.

Van Exel was in heaven with the Mavericks. He regularly saw his young son, who lives in Dallas, and was close to his offseason Houston home. The 6-foot-1, 190-pounder also played a key role in getting Dallas to the Western Conference finals. An argument could be made that no Mav played bigger than Van Exel during the 2003 NBA postseason, when he scored 19.5 points per game, including a team-best 25.3 points per game against Sacramento.

So what was Van Exel's reward? A trade to the lowly Golden State Warriors in 2003, soon to be followed by a trade to the equally lowly Portland Trail Blazers in 2004.

After initially fighting the idea of going back to a loser, Van Exel agreed to play with the Warriors, but neither the spirit nor the flesh was willing. He shot a career-low 39 percent and played in just 39 games during the 2003-04 season. And with Portland, he averaged a career-low 11.1 points and a career-low-tying 4.3 assists in 53 games last season and contemplated retirement because of knee woes.

Van Exel's decision to leave Denver for Dallas eventually cost him $12.8 million because the Blazers released him this summer at their option. But now that he is in a championship situation in San Antonio signing to a veteran one-year deal paying close to $1.2 million, Van Exel is more concerned about the lost chance to win than the lost millions.

"That's how it goes," Van Exel said. "I don't have any regrets. At the time, I knew that I could suffer down the line. I won't go cry about it. The thing that did hurt was the Dallas part. They traded me to a team that I didn't want to go to. That made me more upset than anything.

"I'm really excited about San Antonio," Van Exel added.

The Miami Heat liked Van Exel, but he said they didn't make an offer since they still have eyes on coveted free agent Michael Finley. As crazy as it might sound, he also was interested in coming back to Denver, and the Nuggets had mild interest, too. However, the Nuggets never showed strong interest back, and a phone call Van Exel was expecting from Denver coach George Karl never arrived. Instead, the Spurs locked up the 12-year veteran guard and still have hopes of signing Finley.

"Maybe that's the reason they win," Van Exel's agent, Tony Dutt, said of the Spurs. "They were willing to pull the trigger."

Expect Van Exel to compete for the 2005-06 NBA Sixth Man of the Year title. The Spurs have one of the NBA's best young point guards in Tony Parker. But Parker, still developing, desperately needed someone to spell him last season. Rookie Beno Udrih couldn't fill the need and was a turnover waiting to happen in the playoffs.

With Van Exel, Parker can drop his 37.3 minutes per game average to a more manageable, legs-saving number. The Spurs also can use Nick in Robert Horry fashion by resting him against the weaker team, thus giving Udrih a chance to develop.

Furthermore, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich can do some experimenting with Van Exel by bringing him in to play at times with Parker and All-Star Manu Ginobili. Put him on the same side of the court as forward Tim Duncan and the superstar's life in the post will get a little easier.

"We are very happy to have Nick as a part of our team," Popovich was quoted in a Spurs press release. "His leadership and skills will be assets at both ends of the floor."

But can Van Exel hold up under all these expectations? Maybe so. Although his 33-year-old knees (soon to be 34) aren't getting any younger, he says they are feeling the best they have in years and he has been working out since the season ended.

The Spurs already had the playoffs' all-time greatest clutch shooter on the bench in Horry. Adding Van Exel brings one of the NBA's most underrated clutch shooters to the team. And if he is healthy, the move also will fill a veteran hole that will solidify the efforts to bring another championship to San Antonio while also quenching Van Exel's longtime thirst to win the big one.

MavKikiNYC
08-30-2005, 12:28 PM
OPINION:

Don't think NVE would have made much impact in Houston; even less in SA.

PREDICTION:

He won't finish the year, due to injury.

DevinHarriswillstart
08-30-2005, 08:53 PM
OPINION:

6 foot Robert Horry

Prediction:

Difference maker in the playoffs when Parker chokes.

dude1394
08-30-2005, 10:37 PM
Good for nick. .. He'll love it there and all he's EVER cared about was winning.

jthig32
08-30-2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by: DevinHarriswillstart
OPINION:

6 foot Robert Horry

Prediction:

Difference maker in the playoffs when Parker chokes.

This is perhaps the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. What has Nick EVER done to even be COMPARED to Big Shot Rob???

Robert Horry has produced time and again in pressure situations in important playoffs games, and been an important piece for 6 NBA Chamionships. Please, PLEASE explain to me how NVE compares to him in any way, other than perhaps "attitude".

p.s. For the record, I was a huge fan of Nick while he was here and would not have been against him being our third PG, but let's not get silly here. He's never done anything remotely close to what Horry has done for his career.

Thespiralgoeson
08-30-2005, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by: jthig32

This is perhaps the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. What has Nick EVER done to even be COMPARED to Big Shot Rob???

Robert Horry has produced time and again in pressure situations in important playoffs games, and been an important piece for 6 NBA Chamionships. Please, PLEASE explain to me how NVE compares to him in any way, other than perhaps "attitude".

I think Nick's performance in the second round against Sacramento in '03 comes pretty close. Nick carried the team in that series, even scored 40 in one game. It's unfair to compare what Nick's done to what Horry's done in the Finals, because Nick's never been on a team that made it to the finals. If Nick were as lucky as Horry as far as what teams picked him up, we might have seen Nick hit clutch shot after clutch shot in the Finals. That being said, I think Van Exel's finished and won't make a difference for the Spurs. You never know though, I bet most people thought the same thing about Steve Kerr in the WCF two years ago.

dude1394
08-30-2005, 11:29 PM
If you read some of the lakers boards (and others) the one player on the mavs that year that everyone feared was little nickie. Man I would have liked to have watched him play on a big stage some more. I think he'll wind up making his presence known on the big stage, I surely do.

Steve Nash on Van Exel's pre-game speech: "It wasn't as animated as the
General's [Johnson's]. But Nick just told us that he thought it was all
about attitude and that we needed to try to get the upper hand as far as
attitude. And that's what I think we saw tonight. And I think we saw
much more similar performance to game 7 against Portland where we played
as though our backs were against the wall. In the playoffs, you should
play that way no matter what game it is, 1st or 7th."

Nick Van Exel on what he said to the team: "F'em. Win."

Van Exel as a leader: "I just have to do it at times because we have 3
guys who are very quiet. They are very quiet. Dirk, you know, he leads
by example on the court. Steve, same way. Mike says it here and there.
So I know sometimes when to speak, sometimes when to get our team going.
The things I said to you guys, I said to the team first. So I really
didn't go behind the team's back and make these comments. I let them know
that first how I felt and how we should approach these games. So you
know, when the time comes for me to step up and say things, I'll take it."

jthig32
08-31-2005, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by: Thespiralgoeson

Originally posted by: jthig32

I think Nick's performance in the second round against Sacramento in '03 comes pretty close. Nick carried the team in that series, even scored 40 in one game. It's unfair to compare what Nick's done to what Horry's done in the Finals, because Nick's never been on a team that made it to the finals. If Nick were as lucky as Horry as far as what teams picked him up, we might have seen Nick hit clutch shot after clutch shot in the Finals. That being said, I think Van Exel's finished and won't make a difference for the Spurs. You never know though, I bet most people thought the same thing about Steve Kerr in the WCF two years ago.

I agree with all that, but you still can't compare what Nick did in the second round of the playoffs to Horry's consistent performances on the biggest stages, as well as his ability to seamlessly fit in with three different teams and styles of play. Also, party of Horry's package is his big time defense, something that Nick simply has never brought to the table.

rakesh.s
08-31-2005, 08:44 AM
Robert Horry? Defense?

Am I missing something? Robert Horry's defense is the reason that Austin Croshere has a big $$$ contract.

FilthyFinMavs
08-31-2005, 10:06 AM
When will the Mavs offseason begin?