PDA

View Full Version : Finley decides on Miami

Drbio
08-31-2005, 01:17 PM
Michael Finley is expected to name the Miami Heat as the winner for his services. The sides are believed to be close to a 3-year deal.

-- HoopsWorld.com

ESPN radio just did blurb too.

Edit: Add CNNSI to the list.....

u2sarajevo
08-31-2005, 01:25 PM
Any word on if Savovic is shocked?

Drbio
08-31-2005, 01:30 PM
Well crap.....CNNSI just softened their stance to a maybe.

i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif

u2sarajevo
08-31-2005, 01:38 PM
The Dominoes are Falling (http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_14018.shtml)

By Mario Morgan and Eric Pincus
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Aug 30, 2005, 23:00

After an off-season that has gone on spurts of its own, it appears the final push is being made. Close sources to HOOPSWORLD.com have learned that moves are in motion that will finish up a large portion of the free agent market.

First, the big fish left in the pond is Michael Finley. He is expected to name the Miami Heat as the winner for his services. The sides are believed to be close to a 3-year deal at the MLE which will keep Finley in South Beach, supplementing his long-term buyout plan with Dallas. Maverick's owner Mark Cuban is believed to offer accelerated the payment schedule with Finley because of his move to the Eastern Conference. (u2sarajevo note: THANK YOU MARK) The Heat would then be shooters around Shaquille O'Neal, with Finley added to Dwyane Wade, Antoine Walker, Jason Williams, and James Posey. No word yet on whether the Heat will petition the NBA to play with two balls at the same time.

The move by the Heat for Finley may send Damon Jones north as he is then expected to sign with the Cleveland Cavaliers. The Cavaliers have approximately $3.7 million left under the salary cap and have been searching all summer for a shooter at point guard position to play off LeBron James. Jones is reportedly already house hunting in Cleveland, as no one else has been looking to pay him the big money he was seeking.

The aftershocks continue on to Minnesota as the Timberwolves are rumored to look to sign Gary Payton after being snubbed by Finley. The team will hope Payton can spark the same competitive fire that Sam Cassell brought two years ago, as well as give Kevin Garnett some playoff hope (which of the two is more important is debatable).

The last man affected by the domino sequence could be Earl Watson. The defensive rock from Memphis has been searching for a big money contract this summer and found no takers. Now sources say he is looking for a 3 year, $10 million dollar deal from the Los Angeles Lakers. The Lakers have made it known they won't take any new contracts longer than two years to maintain flexibility for a potential cap space run in summer 2007. LA has their sights set on the potential big fish in that free agent market, but are also desperately in need of a pass-first point guard that can defend

The Lakers don't appear to be done there. They have had talks with the Memphis Grizzlies about not only Watson but Lorenzen Wright, as Eric Pincus previously reported. However concerns over his demand for an extension and his recent public domestic dispute have cast a cloud over the discussions. A deal may still be reached or LA could look elsewhere, such as Darius Songaila, although he is closely linked to Chicago.

Another guard on the market with kids to feed is Latrell Sprewell. Although having recent negotiations with the Denver Nuggets (George Karl has publicly expressed the interest), the two sides don't appear close to a deal. Sprewell has in fact again showed a strong interest in the LA Lakers has been lobbying the team for a deal, although its unknown if the Lakers are interested.

With training camp about a month away, the time of waiting is passing for most teams and free agents. With the money not flowing as much as it did in recent years, players are trying to get in while there is still opportunities to be had. Also, teams are looking to solidify their lineups. Expect even more deals in the upcoming week as the NBA season approaches.

Drbio
08-31-2005, 01:41 PM
No word yet on whether the Heat will petition the NBA to play with two balls at the same time.

Genius.

Drbio
08-31-2005, 01:43 PM
On a serious note, I am really happy for Finley. The Heat seem to be a class organization and went all out to recruit him. I really liked the look of Mike in Heat uniform on those light poles. I am more of a Heat fan today, but I will always be a Mavericks fan at heart. I hope Finley gets to hoist up a Championship trophy if we cannot. This is a good day and a bittersweet day at the same time.

Good luck Mike.

Smiles
08-31-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Any word on if Savovic is shocked?

That one made me laugh out loud! My new colleagues are eyeing me curiously.

I am very happy for Mike. I personally don't have any wish to leave Dallas for Miami, but I think he will be well received and highly regarded out there. He deserves this. It's going to be great for him.

Drbio
08-31-2005, 01:51 PM
we do get a lot of mileage out of that guy don't we? i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Smiles
08-31-2005, 02:03 PM
I know! As quasi annoying as it got "way back when", the well timed drops including his name really are hilarious!

snoop
08-31-2005, 02:09 PM
That is great for mike, but more importantly its great for the Mavs that he is going east.

mary
08-31-2005, 03:40 PM
This is great news...for Finley, for the Heat, for the Mavs and Mavs fans.

I don't mind saying it....I'm glad as hell he didn't go to PHX.

Michael Finley does enough volunteer work as it is.

jacktruth
08-31-2005, 04:18 PM
Maverick's owner Mark Cuban is believed to offer accelerated the payment schedule with Finley because of his move to the Eastern Conference

Though it has died down. I hope I never hear about Cuban's lack of loyalty to Finley.

madape
08-31-2005, 04:40 PM
tap the brakes. I think he's going to the Spurs.

jthig32
08-31-2005, 04:41 PM
Umm..ESPN.com is reporting that he chose San Antonio.

Smiles
08-31-2005, 04:52 PM
Oh G-D! Say it aint so!

Drbio
08-31-2005, 06:05 PM
I think it is great that the first report was wrong. I am going to go watch him play at home now. To me this is excellent news. The only time I root against him is when he plays the Mavs and I can now go see him play again. Out-freaking-standing!