Bench: Finley, Van Exel, Barry, Horry, Robinson

should we hand them the trophy now?

madape
08-31-2005, 05:07 PM
I think we already handed it to them.

Thanks Mark

DevinHarriswillstart
08-31-2005, 05:11 PM
Don't forget Oberto, that star Euro center.

DevinHarriswillstart
08-31-2005, 05:12 PM
Whatever, Spurs were favored anyway. I have a bias only towards the Suns. I can handle the Spurs winning it all again. I can't handle the Suns or Nash winning a championship.

chumdawg
08-31-2005, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about this particular turn of events. Doug Christie will embarrass Mike come playoff time.

alby
08-31-2005, 05:24 PM
It will be interesting to see how they will distribute the minutes and ultimately, how much Michael Finley will play.

Their bench is actually very old and aging very quickly, I think they will give alot of minutes to the youngsters saving Horry, Van Exel, and Finley for the playoffs.

If Finley plays 10-20 minutes and is happy and content with his role, I will be very upset at the Mavericks organization.

chumdawg
08-31-2005, 05:45 PM
You're crazy.

C: Mohammed / Dampier - very big edge to Dallas
PF: Duncan / Nowitzki - slight edge to Dallas
SF: Bowen / Howard - major edge to Dallas
SG: Ginobili / Christie - Ginobili gets edge on offense, Christie gets edge on defense: even
PG: Parker / Terry and Harris - Parker has the edge in experience, Terry and Harris have the edge in talent: even
Bench: Finley, Van Exel, Barry, Horry, Robinson / Stackhouse, Van Horn, Terry/Harris, Armstrong, Diop - very slight edge to San Antonio

dude1394
08-31-2005, 05:51 PM
Man you are smoking something chum. No way nowitzki gets an edge over duncan. No way ugh gets any edge over ginoblli. No way terry/harris get the edge over parker(at least not until they show they can be a point guard). San Antonio bench looks a heck of a lot better just because they can score. I don't get it.

alby
08-31-2005, 06:15 PM
CD, you should know the NBA isn't about individual matchups but about how the team plays as a whole and how they perform down the stretch in games during the playoffs. The spurs are the champs not because they have the best players, but because they have the best team.

Bayliss
08-31-2005, 06:38 PM
Chum is just being the overly optimisticf homer now.

He was the overly pessimisti homer before.

Nothing different when "The Hulk" became "Hollywood."

chumdawg
08-31-2005, 07:09 PM
Someone's meter is jusssst a bit out of tune.

DevinHarriswillstart
08-31-2005, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by: chumdawg
You're crazy.

SG: Ginobili / Christie - Ginobili gets edge on offense, Christie gets edge on defense: even
PG: Parker / Terry and Harris - Parker has the edge in experience, Terry and Harris have the edge in talent: even
Bench: Finley, Van Exel, Barry, Horry, Robinson / Stackhouse, Van Horn, Terry/Harris, Armstrong, Diop - very slight edge to San Antonio

Mad props to you Chumdog. It is a bit homer, but we need some homers with all of the crap these days. Other then the Nowitzqi/Duncan comparison, I completely agree. Dallas has a great team. If Christie gives us 10 points, 4 assists, 2 steals per game, then they can have Finley.

alby
08-31-2005, 07:39 PM
On paper, we've always players that are better than the Spurs or at least as good as the Spurs IMO. Let's just hope this year we are the better team. =]

Five-ofan
08-31-2005, 09:00 PM
One thing if they dont win and Fin has his usual playoffs this may backfire on him. If that team doesnt win then he will be a parriah (SP? i know its wrong someone let me know how to spell it) Ps. Never give out the trophy before hand. The lakers of 04 ring any bells? Also i hate to say it but they are a duncan injury away from being not reallly a threat. (Just as we are a dirk injury away)

SanAntonioMavericksFan
08-31-2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by: alby
C: Mohammed
PF: Duncan
SF: Bowen
SG: Ginobili
PG: Parker

Yes, we should. History shows that the team that adds the most aging former all-stars in the offseason always wins the championship the following year, so why bother playing the season?

alby
08-31-2005, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by: SanAntonioMavericksFan

Originally posted by: alby
C: Mohammed
PF: Duncan
SF: Bowen
SG: Ginobili
PG: Parker

Yes, we should. History shows that the team that adds the most aging former all-stars in the offseason always wins the championship the following year, so why bother playing the season?

umm, okay.. ?

Thespiralgoeson
09-01-2005, 12:03 AM
I'm so very sorry. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

MavsMandy
09-01-2005, 12:13 AM
seriously, some people need to look into repairs on their sarcasm meters.

Thespiralgoeson
09-01-2005, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by: dude1394
Man you are smoking something chum. No way nowitzki gets an edge over duncan.

I think Chum isn't far off base at all. In a seven game series, I think Dirk and Duncan are about even. If I give a slight edge to anybody, it's Dirk. Dirk can't guard Duncan very well in the post, but Duncan can't guard Dirk at all.

No way ugh gets any edge over ginoblli.

Ginobili is certainly a better player than Christie, but I think a Christie/Stack/Daniels combo can keep up with him and Fin.

No way terry/harris get the edge over parker(at least not until they show they can be a point guard). San Antonio bench looks a heck of a lot better just because they can score. I don't get it

Terry and Harris need to show they can be a point guard, but you're talking about Tony Parker? Please... Parker is a combo guard just like Terry. Terry's as good as or a better playmaker. San Antonio had a simpler offense, and much more experience together. Terry and Parker are even IMO. And Howard is flat out better than Bowen, and that's not even close.

And yes, alby, you're right about the fact that it isn't all about individual matchups and that SA has the best team chemistry etc... Which is exactly why I believe that the only thing the Mavs really need at this point to beat the Spurs is to develop team chemistry. Going over the matchups is simply to show that the Mavs have the roster they need to get there.

Thespiralgoeson
09-01-2005, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by: MavsMandy
seriously, some people need to look into repairs on their sarcasm meters.

i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif It's late... You know how it is... when you just scan something really quick and don't stop to think about it, you can easily miss it. There's no tone-of-voice so it's hard to tell unless someone adds a "i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif" at the end.

Mavs4skin
09-01-2005, 03:33 AM
I don't care what players are better then others, all I know is this:

Mavs / Spurs (mavs win!!!)

LRB
09-01-2005, 08:38 AM
Spurs were a better team than the Mavs w/o Fin, I don't see how adding him changes that dynamic any. Our best chance at beating the Spurs in a playoff series is to pray that the injury fairy visits Duncan.

mcsluggo
09-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by: chumdawg
You're crazy.

Let me see how this works...

C: Brad Miller / Dampier - large edge to Sac
PF: Abdur Rahim/Diggler - Since Sharif plays a better inside game, clearly he is better (j/k)
SF: Peja/ Howard - a large win for Sac
SG: Bonzi/DC - another clear large win for Sac
PG: Bibbs/Terry - once again, clear sac win.

So since sac wins 4 of 5 positions (I'll reluctantly concede PF i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif ) sac is better than Dallas. Since you have conclusively proven that Dallas>S.A., I'll invoke the transitive property and say SAC > S.A.

Sacramento wins title. QED.

Thespiralgoeson
09-01-2005, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by: mcsluggo
Let me see how this works...

C: Brad Miller / Dampier - large edge to Sac
PF: Abdur Rahim/Diggler - Since Sharif plays a better inside game, clearly he is better (j/k)
SF: Peja/ Howard - a large win for Sac
SG: Bonzi/DC - another clear large win for Sac
PG: Bibbs/Terry - once again, clear sac win.

So since sac wins 4 of 5 positions (I'll reluctantly concede PF i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif ) sac is better than Dallas. Since you have conclusively proven that Dallas>S.A., I'll invoke the transitive property and say SAC > S.A.

Sacramento wins title. QED.

I know you're joking around, but I think this is an interesting debate. I'm gonna digree with you about Damper/Miller. Of those two, I personally would take Dampier, and therefore I think Dallas has the edge. Miller's basically what Vlade was, only less of an inside presence. Maybe the best passing center in the league, but the guy's really a jumpshooting center and plays about as much defense as Raef LaFrentz. Also, I'm just not a Bonzi wells fan. Maybe he's an upgrade for them, but I just don't think so. Bonzi maybe better than Christie at this point, but I believe Stack > Bonzi. So really, Sac wins 2 of 5 positions IMO.

chumdawg
09-01-2005, 07:08 PM
I've said it before, and I will continue to say it. I seriously believe last year's Mavs had a great chance against the Spurs. They were being tailored to play that team. Dampier may have been a bit of disappointment in the first two series, but we never got to see what difference he could have made against the Spurs. What's more, the Rockets and Suns were able to put the brakes on Dirk a little bit, but I don't know that San Antonio would have been so successful. Our backcourt had its share of troubles handling the TMac's and Nash's of the world, but I would have liked their chances against San Antonio.

Last year we ran into a terrible matchup for us in the second round, and we never got the chance to see who really was better (out of the Spurs and Mavs). For my money, there was a close to even chance--if not better--that we could have taken that Spurs team.

And now the discussion would be whether San Antonio had improved enough to surpass the Mavericks.

The Finley/NVE and Christie additions are intriguing. It would seem that the two teams added different sorts of abilities, but probably they both addressed internal weaknesses. In other words, both teams improved themselves. It will be interesting to see which team improves the most.

But outside of that, I remain convinced that 1, 3, 4, and 5 spots--in total--lean in our favor.

Burly Man
09-02-2005, 04:45 AM
The team has been blown up after realizations from management that a high octane offense won a lot of games in the regular season, but couldnt win a championship. The solution, bring in an ex Spur to preach teamwork and defense. In short, to copy the Spurs. What are the Spurs doing about it? They are reinventing themselves to be a more high octane offensive team. It will be an interesting season.

alby
09-02-2005, 09:17 AM
The Spurs have always been good enough to battle and grind it out defensively, but at the same time still having the potential to have the 'high octane offense'. However, the more I think about their acquisitions of Nick Van Exel and Michael Finley, the worse off the Spurs are. With NVE and Fin, you have once upon a time allstars, proven players in this league who have done alot of things in their careers. The spurs however, is a team built around no-names players who had to work and earn the respect that they have now ie Parker, Ginobili, and Bowen surrounding their one proven superstar, Tim Duncan. I don't think NVE/Fin will have that same drive to put themselves on the map so to speak. Whatever, we'll see what happens this season.

go mavs

FilthyFinMavs
09-02-2005, 10:38 AM
The Spurs success doesn't ride on their players who were once "nobodys". It has to do with their coach. Robert Horry was a proven talent before he came to them. Give Popovich his due. Its also not too bad to have the best player in basketball man the middle.

LRB
09-02-2005, 10:47 AM
The Spurs also have a history of working in formally big name players who have been asked to take a more diminished role when coming to the Spurs such as Steve Smith and Terry Porter. Even David Robinson greatly scaled his game back for the good of the team when Duncan arrived.

MavKikiNYC
09-02-2005, 11:49 AM
The question then is how successful the Spurs can be getting Finley to be productive in a diminished role, if rumors of his reluctance to accept a diminished role in Dallas were correct.