PDA

View Full Version : What each team needs to dethrone the Spurs...

Thespiralgoeson
09-01-2005, 01:02 AM
Okay, yeah, I know this probably doesn't deserve it's own thread, but things are slow, and I'm bored, so here goes.

I'm only going to include the real contenders, because they're the only ones that figure into the equation. Not going to bother with second-tier teams like Denver, Seattle, Sac etc... It's basically a list of objectives each of the contending teams needs to meet in order to beat the Spurs in a seven game series (or just win the title in general), in order of importance; #1 being top priorities, #4, 5, 6 being nice bonuses etc...

Dallas (we've all been going over this non-stop, but hell, it's relevant to this one too)
1. develop team chemistry and identity (namely defense)
2. Christie must be healthy. He and Stackhouse must be able to keep up with Ginobili.
3. Diop or MBenga must contribute
4. Howard must continue to develop offensively
5. Harris and Daniels must continue to improve

Houston
1. Head, Andersen, and James must be able to keep up with Ginobili
2. Someone has to step up and be a point guard here
3. Swift must be more consistent and put forth more effort on defense than he did in Memphis
4. Yao must stay out of foul trouble

Phoenix
1. Thomas and Grant must be able to battle it out with the opposing centers and still keep up with the run and gun
2. Somebody here has got to be able to spell Nash
3. bench has to contribute more

Miami
1. Shaq must stay healthy
2. Chemistry
3. Chemistry
4. Chemistry
5. Chemistry

Idiana
1. Artest absolutely must stay out of trouble and on the court
2. Must improve offense as a team
3. Better PG play than we've seen in the past. Tinsley must stay healthy and consistent. Sarunas must contribute
4. Consistent play out of center position (Foster, Pollard...)

Detroit
Here's a head scratcher... What can Detroit do really? Do they even have another title run left in them? The way I see it, Detroit's not winning any more titles unless they land a franchise player. When they go up against SA or any of those other teams, they need someone who can take over a game offensively, who can answer Duncan, Dirk, T-Mac, Amare, JO etc...

Please post your thoughts and discuss!

LRB
09-01-2005, 08:47 AM
Just add Duncan must sustain injury to each team and you might have something.

dalmations202
09-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Spiral, I think you are pretty well dead on here.
Just a few additions:

Dallas - as the Mavs have been presently put together.
- Dirk has to develop some inside game -- they have to have someone who can score in the paint -- That someone has to be Dirk because they don't have another 7' with offensive skills. This is the only way this collection of players can work, IMO, unless they change the offense. This would also force teams to play Dirk with a PF/C instead of a SF. Either this, or acquire a 7' that can play inside that has offensive post skills and can play 'last line of defense'.

Houston - best base, but farthest away
- need to solidify their backcourt -- Tmac/Yao are the only scary players on the team
- need to get a legitimate #3 scorer
- need depth that isn't old and unathletic

Phoenix - need luck, and chemistry
- Need Barbosa to grow into his potential
- Need chemistry - avoid injuries by the older players -- Nash, Thomas, Grant are all old

Miami - wow
-I think you nailed it. Shaq, Chemistry.
- Massage Egos

Indiana- much like Houston, great base but.....
- Center position is a problem -- Harrison has to develop -- not just on offene, but defensive as well.

Detroit -- best overall collection of players
- need to keep playing and see where the chips fall
- need Rasheed to play more inside on offense, instead of out on the arc.
- need Ben to further develop his inside game and 15'

Thespiralgoeson
09-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by: dalmations202
Spiral, I think you are pretty well dead on here.
Just a few additions:

Dallas - as the Mavs have been presently put together.
- Dirk has to develop some inside game -- they have to have someone who can score in the paint -- That someone has to be Dirk because they don't have another 7' with offensive skills. This is the only way this collection of players can work, IMO, unless they change the offense. This would also force teams to play Dirk with a PF/C instead of a SF. Either this, or acquire a 7' that can play inside that has offensive post skills and can play 'last line of defense'.

I agree completely about this when we play the Rockets or whoever, but I don't think this is much of a problem against the Spurs. Dirk will almost always be guarded by Duncan. Aside from maybe Horry, they don't really have anyone that can give Dirk trouble.

dirno2000
09-01-2005, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by: LRB
Just add Duncan must sustain injury to each team and you might have something.really? Is a healthy Spurs team unbeatable?

FilthyFinMavs
09-01-2005, 10:49 PM
I don't see why they aren't. They were unbeatable without Nick and Finley and plus they have teams interested in Rasho? I use to think of the Spurs as the NBA's New England Patriots. I've come to the conclusion that i've underrated both franchises. Spurs are the best assembled team in the NBA. No idiots just class acts. You will never have to worry about guys not getting along.

Thespiralgoeson
09-01-2005, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
I don't see why they aren't. They were unbeatable without Nick and Finley and plus they have teams interested in Rasho?

LOL, FFM. Last year they were unbeatable? Best team in the NBA, of course, but unbeatable? Detroit sure came close... Jordan's Bulls went 72-10 and won 6 championships. They had the greatest player of all time, and also phenominal players in Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman. That team was unbeatable. Magic's Lakers and Bird's Celtics won 8 championships between them and went to the Finals every year of the 1980's. Even the Kobe/Shaq Lakers seemed unbeatable until the chemistry imploded, and Shaq got out of shape. The Spurs? Best team in the NBA, sure... Unbeatable? Hell no.

alby
09-02-2005, 09:11 AM
any team can be beaten, in a seven game series its all about prepartion and will. there's no question we have the individual talent to beat the spurs, but you have to go out there and produce/perform as well. to me, i feel like its always been a mental thing when we play the spurs and honestly that all starts at the top - headcoach.

go mavs

Misfit Mav
09-02-2005, 11:55 AM
To my mind, the one thing that could really push the Mavs into title contention is the development of Devin Harris. If he fulfills that Kevin Johnson-type potential some said he had when we drafted him, I think we can be as good as any team out there. I don't think he will this coming season, so yeah, we will need really solid play from Christie, Diop, and all the other variables to really contend. But I think in the long run, Harris is the key.

Thespiralgoeson
09-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Harris may be the key when Terry's gone, but until then I think Josh Howard is the key. Howard is our second-best player. I think if he takes his offensive game up another notch, and plays at or close to Ginobili's level, we're in damn good shape to topple the Spurs. And if he wants to improve his play on the other end of the court, and live up to all the hype about his defense, I guess that's okay too.

dude1394
09-02-2005, 07:37 PM
I've been curious about how boston won their titles. They had a guy who could score in the paint (McChale) and Parrish could hit the 15footer and also bird scored in the paint.

They didn't seem to do it with just one player. Sort of like Nelsons teams did a little bit, had many players playing inside. But they were surely a better passing team with bird on the perimeter.

jayC
09-02-2005, 09:34 PM
Dirk just needs to destory smalls. It should be his epithet . I must work on posting up Josh Howard. If he does than he becomes almost unstoppable on the offensive end. The mavs also need to be more than six deep. Devin Harris, DJ and Diop need to be adequate when they come in to replace Dampier and Jet.

The Rockets need more athletes in the backcourt. They will continue to get exposed by the mavericks and other teams in the league with good backcourts. Yao needs to quit picking up stupid fouls. Move your feet big man. The Rockets can win if Yao becomes as good as T-Mac.

The Heat this team is loaded. They can win if JWill, Posey and Walker can coexist. Otherwise this is kobe-shaq part deux.

I think Detroit can still do a lot. They came within a quarter of game 7. Don't forget they added Dale Davis to their studded front line. Is their a frontline in basketball better. Wallace/Wallace/McDyess and know Davis. The key is Rasheed Wallace. The pistons have the defense to beat any one.

Phoenix took the biggest fall this summer. The Lakers lack any kind of big man and they got rid of Grant. The knicks need size in the worst way and they dumped KT on them. Call me skeptical but two journey man roleplayers aren't going to take them the extra mile. Add no real backup point guard.

Thespiralgoeson
09-02-2005, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by: jayC
Dirk just needs to destory smalls. It should be his epithet . I must work on posting up Josh Howard. If he does than he becomes almost unstoppable on the offensive end.

Again, I agree with this completely. I hope Dirk really works on that running hookshot and some other moves, so when he's guarded by T-Mac or Marion, or Kenyon Martin, or whoever he can light them up in the post. But as I said before, not so much a worry against the Spurs. He'll almost always be guarded by Duncan who is truly incapable of stopping Dirk, and the only guy who can even remotely give Dirk any trouble is Horry.

Phoenix took the biggest fall this summer. The Lakers lack any kind of big man and they got rid of Grant. The knicks need size in the worst way and they dumped KT on them. Call me skeptical but two journey man roleplayers aren't going to take them the extra mile. Add no real backup point guard.

Agreed.

Thespiralgoeson
06-05-2006, 10:03 PM
*bump*

I just think it's ironic and so sweet that not that long ago, the Spurs were considered by many to be truly unbeatable.

Now, the Spurs are in the Mavs' rear, and the Mavs are in the NBA finals.

Looks like I was right about Detroit, only a year premature. Everyone in the organization seems to be nervous. The players seem to be wondering if their run is over.

mcsluggo
06-06-2006, 10:36 AM
Spurs are in the Mavs rear?

how does that feel, guys?

capitalcity
06-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Now, the Spurs are in the Mavs' rear, and the Mavs are in the NBA finals.Spurs fans can try, but there's no plundering this booty.

Enjoy fishing buttpirates. The ship be sinking and yer puffed up san ant_ni_ egos can not be used as floatation devices.

aexchange
06-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Spurs fans can try, but there's no plundering this booty.

Enjoy fishing buttpirates. The ship be sinking and yer puffed up san ant_ni_ egos can not be used as floatation devices.

pure unadulterated greatness. as is usual from cap.

alexamenos
06-06-2006, 02:01 PM
*bump*

so long as we can substitute Griffin for that guy with the crazy wife and the bad ankle, your assessment was spot on...

Thespiralgoeson
06-06-2006, 05:02 PM
so long as we can substitute Griffin for that guy with the crazy wife and the bad ankle, your assessment was spot on...

Actually, I was also dead wrong in my other posts about Duncan guarding Dirk almost exclusively. Seems like Duncan hardly guarded Dirk at all in the regular season, and they spent the entire series against the Mavs with Bowen or Finley on Dirk. I never imagined that the Popovich would use a small lineup throughout the entire series against the Mavs.