PDA

View Full Version : still feel sorry for fin?

snoop
09-14-2005, 01:52 AM
if so this may help you.
1996 $628,000
1997 $723,000
1998 $816,840
1999 $6,000,000
2000 $7,200,000
2001 $8,400,000
2002 $10,625,000
2003 $11,953,125
2004 $13,281,250
2005 $14,609,375
Career (may be incomplete) $74,236,590

he is still owed over 60 mil on current contracts. I think he sleeps okay at night.

OzMavs
09-14-2005, 06:39 AM
Add to that the appearance fees he could get as both himself and Billy Ocean, that would be a pretty tidy sum.

MavsFanFinley
09-14-2005, 10:59 AM
I don't remember anyone feeling sorry for Finley where money was concerned. We knew he was going to get the rest of his from Cuban and a portion from his new team.

No. I don't remember money being the factor at all.

What had most of us pissed off, disgusted by, or whatever was the way the Mavs played it out. They announce they're going to waive him, then they see the interest around the league and try to backpedal by saying they'll trade him east instead. Not only did they leak false information about trades being on the table, they tried to sell us that his leaving wasn't a foregone conclusion.

And to top things off, Cuban tries to blackmail and insult Finley by offering to pay his money up front (instead of deferred as his contract states) to encourage him to go east. I think Mike Fisher explained it best below:

Link (http://www.dallasbasketball.com/headline_A.asp?pr=)

We believe that Mark Cuban's attempt to "cut a deal'' with Fin to keep him from staying in the West was an attempt at trick-'em,-dick-'em, a sleight-of-hand attempt that might've left Fin holding the bag. ... and a more empty bag than he thought he was holding.

For a team that is unusually quiet about these things, they played it all out in the media.

LRB
09-14-2005, 11:39 AM
I agree FFM, the Mavs management looked about like the 3 stooges trying to explain Einstein's theory or relativity, except more inept and not as funny. Strangely enough, Cuban does bear a striking resemblance to Moe.

snoop
09-15-2005, 12:33 AM
fin showed joy to be out of dallas in his SA press confernence. the mavs dont have to explain anything, they made move for future cap flexabilty so we could have the players that wil make a diffrence (J-Ho) in the mavs blue for a lomg time. Fins not sad hes not a mav we shouldn't be.

alby
09-15-2005, 01:12 AM
I hope people's love for Finley doesn't get in the way in who they should actually be cheering...

snoop
09-15-2005, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by: alby
I hope people's love for Finley doesn't get in the way in who they should actually be cheering...

thank you

MavsFanFinley
09-18-2005, 12:54 AM
fin showed joy to be out of dallas in his SA press confernence. the mavs dont have to explain anything, they made move for future cap flexabilty so we could have the players that wil make a diffrence (J-Ho) in the mavs blue for a lomg time. Fins not sad hes not a mav we shouldn't be.

You started the thread talking about money. You made it sound like folks around here were feeling sorry for Finley over money. I simply corrected you.

The Mavs don't owe us an explanation. However, most of us recognize that the Mavs went against house rules when dealing with Finley this summer. Instead of the usual line "no comment" "or we don't discuss those things in the media" the Mavs were very vocal about Fin being waived, then traded, then being kept a Mav and so on.

If one wants to ignore the difference between what went down with Finley and how they've dealt with such issues in the past so be it. Not all of us choose to do the same.

An why wouldn't Finley show how happy he is to be in SA? Did you expect him to mope about not being in Dallas anymore? He has said nothing ill against Dallas from when news first broke to when he spoke during the press conference. If anything, he's shown more class than the rest.

I don't know of anyone who is sad that Finley isn't a Mav anymore. I think most of us are happy that he's in a better place and ready to go into the season like we are. I think we had moved on nicely until a post popped up asking if we still felt sorry for Finley only to open it up and find it's about money.

snoop
09-18-2005, 03:30 PM
you have strong feelings towards fin and are happy HE IS IN A BETTER PLACE. What does that mean? If you were over him you would be more passionate about the mavs and less about protecting Fin. Heres a place you can go and tea bag Fin.

p204.ezboard.com/bsanantoniospurs62937

MavsFanFinley
09-18-2005, 11:17 PM
you have strong feelings towards fin and are happy HE IS IN A BETTER PLACE. What does that mean? If you were over him you would be more passionate about the mavs and less about protecting Fin.

Look, it's not that hard to understand.

I can not like how things went down this summer, be happy for Fin because he's moved on, and still root for the Mavs like I have done the last 10 or so years.

I was over his departure. Everyone else was over his departure and then what happens? You post a stupid thread over money and ask whether any of us are still feeling sorry for Fin. I didn't protect him or coddle him or whatever, but simply corrected you on what the fuss over Fin's leaving was about. It wasn't about money like in your original post. Don't be angry because I corrected you.

If you've been around here the last 2-3 years you would know that I've wanted Fin traded since then. It's not about his being gone but how it went down. Is that so hard to understand? Again, we had all moved on but who was the one to bring it back up? Not me.

LRB
09-19-2005, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by: snoop
you have strong feelings towards fin and are happy HE IS IN A BETTER PLACE. What does that mean? If you were over him you would be more passionate about the mavs and less about protecting Fin. Heres a place you can go and tea bag Fin.

p204.ezboard.com/bsanantoniospurs62937

Sounds like if someone didn't have a god complex they wouldn't be telling other posters what they should be feeling. And just FYI all passionate means is that you show or express strong emotions which could just as easy be emotions expressing dissaproval as approval. You don't have to be a brown noser to the owner to be a fan of a team. Quite often it is the most passionate of fans who voice the loudest criticisms. For many criticism of Fin's departure had more to do with the opinion that losing Fin to a rival contender for no talent in return would do far more damage to the Mavs chances to win a title than to help them. Of course maybe you haven't matured enough to realize that not everyone shares your same opinion and view on a subject.

Drbio
09-19-2005, 09:32 AM
snoop- as a third person disinterested party i nthis fray, it does sound to me as well that you made this a salary issue. Even those of us who supported Finley the most (I admit it....I am a HUGE Finley fan) don't think the money thing is an issue. The thing that made me mad the most was how Finley was dumped for nothing in return. I have no idea what conversations occurred between Fin and Cubes so I assume there were many and they were all professional. I know for a fact that Cuban respects Finley. I am not sure his actions portrayed that very well, but that is a different topic. This isn't a salary thing though imho.

Murphy3
09-19-2005, 10:33 PM
F' fin. He's a Spur. Who cares about him anymore anyways? He's a traitor simply because he now plays for the Spurs. F' him.

sike
09-20-2005, 06:59 PM
I'm willing to wait on the season to see how the move pays off....I'll just hold judgement.

snoop
09-20-2005, 11:30 PM
the piont of the original post was the fact that fin is okay with his slot in life, both with money and where he is playing. The fact some of you are saying no one brings up fin besides me is not looking around. I am not a fin hater but I do have a problem with the negative light some posters have put on the Mavs for this move, not Fins fault, never said it was. i do have a problem that Fin said he was the happiest guy on earth to be elsewhere. There is no need for people to act like they have moved on from the Fin era in Dallas, I havn't but I don't like the whole Fin is in a better place attitude and say you have moved on. The bitter feelings toward the org. piss me off because a true fan of the mavs is just that, a FAN OF THE MAVS. My favorite player of any sport all time is Emmitt Smith, but when we played the cards with emmitt i wasn't sad or concerned he seperated his shoulder on a hit by Williams. Because the star on the side of the helmet means more than the name on the back, same with the Mavs. So why is their no outcry Fin passe up more money to stay in the divison. Do the Spurs have a better chance than the Heat of a NBA title? I don't know but if they do its minimal. There should be more pro Mavs then pro Fin because as the post said, Fin is doing just fine. Do you still feel sorry for Fin?

dude1394
09-30-2005, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by: snoopThe bitter feelings toward the org. piss me off because a true fan of the mavs is just that, a FAN OF THE MAVS.

Boy...listening to another "holier-than-thou-fan" gives me heartburn. Be a fan in your own way and quit judging other people. Glad that I now know what a "TRUE" fan is. Sheesh.

Drbio
09-30-2005, 09:02 PM
Plus, what the hell was Fin supposed to say? Hello...I really don't wnt to be in San Antonio, I'd rather still be in Dallas, but thanks for signing me and letting me play here.

good grief.

mavsman
10-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Because the star on the side of the helmet means more than the name on the back, same with the Mavs

So you suggest that the Bulls and the 76ers think again about retiring MJ's, Wilt's and Barkley's jerseys, because all of them were finishing their careers somewhere else?

LRB
10-03-2005, 10:50 AM
the piont of the original post was the fact that fin is okay with his slot in life, both with money and where he is playing. The fact some of you are saying no one brings up fin besides me is not looking around. I am not a fin hater but I do have a problem with the negative light some posters have put on the Mavs for this move, not Fins fault, never said it was. i do have a problem that Fin said he was the happiest guy on earth to be elsewhere. There is no need for people to act like they have moved on from the Fin era in Dallas, I havn't but I don't like the whole Fin is in a better place attitude and say you have moved on. The bitter feelings toward the org. piss me off because a true fan of the mavs is just that, a FAN OF THE MAVS. My favorite player of any sport all time is Emmitt Smith, but when we played the cards with emmitt i wasn't sad or concerned he seperated his shoulder on a hit by Williams. Because the star on the side of the helmet means more than the name on the back, same with the Mavs. So why is their no outcry Fin passe up more money to stay in the divison. Do the Spurs have a better chance than the Heat of a NBA title? I don't know but if they do its minimal. There should be more pro Mavs then pro Fin because as the post said, Fin is doing just fine. Do you still feel sorry for Fin?

Good grief why don't you get a life of your own instead of trying to tell everyone else how to run theirs? Fans come in all kinds of varieties, and just because someone is different from you doesn't make them less of a a fan. Hell my biggest fan is my wife who also happens to be my biggest critic. Mainly because she is a very passionate person, one of the reasons I married BTW. I've never met anyone as loving as her, nor as anyone sung my praises as much as she does. However I don't even want to contemplate the @$$ chewing I'd get for forgetting our aniversary or her birthday. Just because you're a fan of a team doesn't mean that you have to blindly believe every move the management makes is a great move. Hell I'm still upset the way Jerry Jones fired Tom Landry, even though I knew that Tom's time was up and the Cowboys needed a new coach. And even though I love the Cowboys as much as I ever did, I still don't like Jerry Jones.

Maybe you should take your own advice and love the team and not the people who run it. At the very least you should consider being tolerant over other points of view than your own. I don't know what it takes to get it through your super thick skull, but most everyone complaining about the Fin move did so because they either thought it hurt the Mavs talent wise or they were upset at loosing talent without getting any in return. We'll see if this hurts the Mavs or not. But try and get a grip on your holier than thou attitude and telling people what they must do to be a Mavs fan.

DevinHarriswillstart
10-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by: dude1394

Originally posted by: snoopThe bitter feelings toward the org. piss me off because a true fan of the mavs is just that, a FAN OF THE MAVS.

Boy...listening to another "holier-than-thou-fan" gives me heartburn. Be a fan in your own way and quit judging other people. Glad that I now know what a "TRUE" fan is. Sheesh.

A lot of holier than thous on here. I attributed it a lot to this boring off-season. People just seem to get really defensive and irritated sometimes on here.

BTW I say Sheesh too. YOU BASTARD! I'm BETTER THEN YOU! I'M A FAN OF THE MAVS!!!

Oh and regarding fin, he is gone, nuff said. Lets now focus on the ON-season yay!!

snoop
10-04-2005, 12:18 AM
sorry everbody my next post will be "Still feel sorry for TAW" I'm sure the debate will be as passionate