PDA

View Full Version : Kool story about Karl Malone

dude1394
09-30-2005, 04:49 PM
Boy I sure wish the mavs hadn't passed on this guy for more than one reason. Pretty cool story.

http://images.usatoday.com/news/_photos/2005/09/30/malone-inside.jpg

The Mailman (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-09-29-malone-katrina_x.htm) and his crew bulldoze through bureaucracy to help victims
By Tony Bertuca, USA TODAY
Karl "The Mailman" Malone is still delivering, no matter what the weather.
By Brad Marshall

The former NBA all-star and a crew from his logging company in Arkansas spent two weeks in Pascagoula, Miss., hauling away debris left by Hurricane Katrina.

"Everything about this just felt right," Malone says. "My mom died two years ago, and in our last conversation, she told me that one day I would have to step up on a grand scale and help people. I knew this was it."

Malone, whose team cleared 114 lots, said he brought 18 vehicles to Pascagoula, including a backhoe, three bulldozers and several RVs for him and his crew.

"We were totally self-contained with our own food and everything," Malone says. "We didn't want to take even one bottle of water away from these people. When we told them we were doing this for free, they looked at us like we were crazy or something."

Malone, 42, an experienced truck driver and logger who was born in Bernice, La., spent 12 hours a day behind the wheel of his heavy machinery.

read the rest (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-09-29-malone-katrina_x.htm)

Drbio
09-30-2005, 09:04 PM
Well done Karl. i/expressions/thumbsup.gif

Rhylan
09-30-2005, 11:21 PM
For all the dirty crap he pulled on a basketball court, and for all the ego, there's one guy that has his head on straight. I've always thought that about him. He was tough not to like, for a lot of reasons.

Hitman
10-01-2005, 08:44 AM
I loved the Mailman for a long time, but I thought he turned into an ass his last couple of seasons.

Cool story, though.

Hitman
10-01-2005, 08:44 AM
I loved the Mailman for a long time, but I thought he turned into an ass his last couple of seasons.

Cool story, though.

madape
10-01-2005, 01:14 PM
The Mavs had their chances to bring the Mailman to Dallas and passed every time. He was meant to be a Maverick.

Thespiralgoeson
10-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by: madape
The Mavs had their chances to bring the Mailman to Dallas and passed every time. He was meant to be a Maverick.

True. We could've drafted both him AND Stockton!

alby
10-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by: Thespiralgoeson

Originally posted by: madape

True. If we could've drafted both him AND Stockton!

then we would have two hall of famers but no championships =]

Drbio
10-01-2005, 09:25 PM
I honestly feel that if the Mavericks had drafted Malone, both he and our beloved franchise would have had their first title...and maybe more.

AxdemxO
10-01-2005, 11:43 PM
I think it great wht he is doing. I used to like him a lot before he went to the Lakers. I think thts when he put a stain on his career. He should have stayed with the Jazz and retired. But i still think he is one of the best players. Although evertime hes mentioned the thing about him goin to the Lakers is in the bak of my mind.

Thespiralgoeson
10-02-2005, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by: alby
then we would have two hall of famers but no championships =]

Ya never know. The Mavs took Lakers to 7 games in the 87 WCF. Now Imagine if that team had Stockton instead of Derek Harper, and Malone instead of Mark Aguirre. I don't think it's that much of a stretch to think that maybe they would've won game 7 and then beaten Boston in the Finals (the Celtics by then were old and injured, and not nearly at full-strenght) And if you still don't think Malone and Stockton could've gotten the Mavs a title, imagine then if our lineup also had Clyde Drexler, and Charles Barkley; players we also missed out on in the draft. I think a Stockton/Drexler/Barkley/Malone lineup might've won a title or two; I think a team with that lineup certainly could've beaten Isiah's Pistons.

fin4life
10-02-2005, 11:20 AM
Any team in the league can go back and lok at players that they passed up over the years and say they could've won. If we had picked the best possible players 5 straight years, sure... we would have some titles. Any team would.

Thespiralgoeson
10-02-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by: fin4life
Any team in the league can go back and lok at players that they passed up over the years and say they could've won.

If we had picked the best possible players 5 straight years, sure... we would have some titles. Any team would.

I'm not talking about "over the years." I'm talking about two years. Stockton was drafted in 84, and Malone was drafted in 85. Malone even said himself that he wanted very much to play for Dallas. Barkley was also drafted in 84, and Drexler in 83. So that's 3 years, not 5. Who did we draft in 85 instead of Malone? Detlef Schrempf, and Uwe Blab. In 84 with the 4th pick we drafted Sam Perkins while Philly picked up Barkley at no. 5. That same year we also drafted Terence Stansbury (who?) instead of Stockton.

Picking up Derek Harper instead of Drexler is understandable (even though he and Olajuwon won together in college), and even missing Stockton is understandable. But Malone and especially Barkley should've been no-brainers. It's one thing for a team to miss out on great players "over the years," but those are four hall-of-fame players in three years. Two of which were pretty obvious choices. No team in that era drafted as poorly as the Mavericks did.

alby
10-03-2005, 04:32 AM
1983 NBA Draft
1. HOU Ralph Sampson, Virginia
2. IND Steve Stipanovich, Missouri
3. HOU Rodney McCray, Louisville
4. SDC Byron Scott, Arizona State University
5. CHI Sidney Green, Nevada-Las Vegas
6. GSW Russell Cross, Purdue
7. UTA Thurl Bailey, North Carolina State
8. DET Antoine Carr, Wichita State
9. DAL Dale Ellis, Tennessee
10. WSB Jeff Malone, Mississippi State
11. DAL Derek Harper, Illinois
12. NYK Darrell Walker, University of Arkansas
13. KCK Ennis Whatley, University of Alabama
14. POR Clyde Drexler, Houston

Dale Ellis averaged 8 points in 15 minutes in his first three years on the Mavericks, then went on to the Sonics and poured in 25 a night, he definitely wasn't a scrub.

Derek Harper is arguably considered the best point guard in franchise history, up there with Kidd and Nash.

1984 NBA Draft

Sam Perkins: drafted by the Dallas Mavericks in the 1st round (4th pick) of the 1984 NBA draft.
-Had a pretty nice career in Dallas averaging 15 and 8 during his six years with the team.

Terence Stansbury: drafted by the Dallas Mavericks in the 1st round (15th pick) of the 1984 NBA draft.
-I don't know what happened to this guy, he didn't even play a game with Dallas. (didn't he do the statue of liberty dunk)

1985 NBA Draft
1. NYK Patrick Ewing, Georgetown
2. IND Wayman Tisdale, Oklahoma
3. LAC Benoit Benjamin, Creighton University
4. SEA Xavier McDaniel, Wichita State
5. ATL Jon Koncak, Southern Methodist
6. SAC Joe Kleine, University of Arkansas
7. GSW Chris Mullin, Saint John's (NY)
8. DAL Detlef Schrempf, Washington
9. CLE Charles Oakley, Virginia Union
10. PHO Ed Pinckney, Villanova
11. CHI Keith Lee, Memphis State
12. WSB Kenny Green, Wake Forest
13. UTA Karl Malone, Louisiana Tech

Dallas wasn't the only one that passed on Karl. Looking at the list, Detlef had the 4th or 5th best NBA career out of them (Malone, Ewing, Mullin, Oakley).

----

looking at the players, we really didn't draft as bad as previously thought..

Thespiralgoeson
10-03-2005, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by: alby
Dale Ellis averaged 8 points in 15 minutes in his first three years on the Mavericks, then went on to the Sonics and poured in 25 a night, he definitely wasn't a scrub.

Sure, he was great.... in Seattle. And no, he wasn't a scrub, that's why I didn't mention him, and I also said that picking up Harper instead of Drexler was understandable...

And you're right, we weren't the only guys that missed out on Malone. But Barkley was a no-brainer. Yeah, Perkins was a nice player, but coming out of Auburn, it was obvious that Barkley was going to be a star. 80's Mavericks = so-so to bad draft choices.