PDA

View Full Version : KG on the block?

poohrichardson
11-08-2005, 12:30 AM
Word around here in Minnesota has Garnett "irate" at Timberwolves management for the departures of Sam Cassell, Latrell Sprewell, and Flip Saunders. He no-showed some PR event shortly before the season and my crystal ball foretells a Garnett trade on the horizon (I'd guess before the All Star break).

Anyone agree?

As a side note, KVH and Quis for Garnett works.. they get a versatile, athletic swingman and an expiring contract. Sounds exactly like what a rebuilding team should be in the market for..

Thespiralgoeson
11-08-2005, 12:47 AM
I'm willing to bet that Garnett will never EVER be a Dallas Maverick. I'd like to see KG in New Jersey for VC... ain't gonna happen either.

alby
11-08-2005, 12:57 AM
I would be pissed if I were KG, but I definitely don't see him going to the Mavericks in our lifetime but weird things happen in this league so who knows?

chumdawg
11-08-2005, 02:02 AM
I don't think there's any question that KG gets traded this year. The only question is where.

The Mavs have the wherewithal to trade for him. Dirk would certainly get it done, and might be a good deal from the Mavs' perspective, given the new coach and his philosophy. You would like to think it could get done without Dirk, but I just don't know about that. In fact, I doubt it. It would take both Howard and Harris, you would think. Probably too big a price to pay.

But Dirk? I hate to say it, but I might be inclined to do that deal. After all, Dirk might be gone after next year, anyway, if the team doesn't compete for a title during that time.

Thespiralgoeson
11-08-2005, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by: chumdawg
I don't think there's any question that KG gets traded this year. The only question is where.

The Mavs have the wherewithal to trade for him. Dirk would certainly get it done, and might be a good deal from the Mavs' perspective, given the new coach and his philosophy. You would like to think it could get done without Dirk, but I just don't know about that. In fact, I doubt it. It would take both Howard and Harris, you would think. Probably too big a price to pay.

But Dirk? I hate to say it, but I might be inclined to do that deal. After all, Dirk might be gone after next year, anyway, if the team doesn't compete for a title during that time.

KG is pushing 30 and has too many miles... No way it happens.

poohrichardson
11-08-2005, 02:36 AM
I'd definitely do Quis/Keith or Josh/Keith for Garnett.. or Devin/Keith.. or Devin/Quis or Josh/Quis (but those last two wouldn't work salary wise)...

Five-ofan
11-08-2005, 03:48 AM
So you would give up dirk but not devin and josh chum? For the record you dont do a dirk trade. If you can get him for anyone but Dirk and hopefully harris you do it. The mavs do actually have the parts to make it work. I would like to keep harris because I dont think we would win the title this year even with KG and Dirk. I think we would be looking at next year but we would be incredible with dirk kg and devin becoming the star that he will be.

Nash13
11-08-2005, 06:45 AM
If he's on the block, we may as well forget it. Him being on the block means about 29 other teams going after him, which means there's going to be some serious bidding going on, which means Dallas can't offer a package that other teams can't match or do better. And Cuban would never do a Dirk/Kg trade, give him some credit.

As far as where he could go, if he stays west, which i doubt, he goes to either Golden State, Los Angeles (Lakers or Clippers) or Sacramento. If he goes east, it will be to Indiana, Chicago or Orlando.

DubOverdose
11-08-2005, 09:48 AM
I'd LOVE to see KG and Dirk on the same team, but I don't think the experiment is worth it. What we have now is working, otherwise I'd be all for it.

mary
11-08-2005, 11:10 AM
I'm not sure what the Mavs would have to give up to get KG, but I think the last couple of years have proven that teams don't often get superstars in return for superstars.

Philly didn't give up AI for Webber.
Miami didn't give up Wade for Shaq.
Houston didn't give up Yao for McGrady.
...and so on, and so on.

ETA: ...and for the record, I don't think Cubes give up Dirk for KG.

Dirkenstien
11-08-2005, 11:34 AM
If KG is available at any point during this season then Dallas must do all they can to land him with the exception of trading Dirk.

I'm talking about giving up our first round draft picks for the next three seasons as well as some type of package of players that would suit them well.
KG and Dirk would be rediculous to match up with and would make us the clear cut favorite to win the championship.

Ofcourse, like Nash13 stated earlier, there will be 29 other teams out there interested with some of them probably willing to sell the farm to get KG.

poohrichardson
11-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by: Dirkenstien
If KG is available at any point during this season then Dallas must do all they can to land him with the exception of trading Dirk.

I'm talking about giving up our first round draft picks for the next three seasons as well as some type of package of players that would suit them well.
KG and Dirk would be rediculous to match up with and would make us the clear cut favorite to win the championship.

Ofcourse, like Nash13 stated earlier, there will be 29 other teams out there interested with some of them probably willing to sell the farm to get KG.

There WILL be 29 other teams looking for KG's services.. but which of them has the pieces neccessary to complete a deal?

If I'm Dallas, I package Quis/Van Horn and our first round picks for 06 and 07, and take a bad contract (Hudson) in return if that's what it takes..

u2sarajevo
11-08-2005, 12:50 PM
You can't package first round picks in successive years..... as I understand it.

chumdawg
11-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Didn't we already trade all our first round picks for Erick Dampier?

u2sarajevo
11-08-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Didn't we already trade all our first round picks for Erick Dampier?It was 2 first rounders.... one being Philadelphia's future first round pick (so it wasn't ours until we acquired it through another trade).

SeriousSummer
11-08-2005, 02:32 PM
Harris, Howard + KVH for Garnett works under the CBA. One or two draft choices and/or either MBenga or Pavel might tempt Minnesota. Although, it's a big price to pay even for Garnett.

Dallas line-up:

Dampier/Diop
Nowitzski/Powell
Garnett/Stackhouse/
Christie/Daniels
Jet/Armstrong

Pavel/Marshall

vjz
11-08-2005, 04:46 PM
I doubt Minnesota would ever trade KG. It's crazy! They'd never get back equal value.

dalmations202
11-08-2005, 05:55 PM
I doubt Minnesota would ever trade KG. It's crazy! They'd never get back equal value.

Too true.

But if they really do want to blow it up and start over.
Donnie/Mark call Minn and tell them that Dirk isn't available, but to call back with the trade that nets Garnett -- Minn makes the deal.

Dirk/KG and backup Center (Diop) with a guard rotation of less than all-stars like Watson, Fisher, and Christie could win the title.

Thespiralgoeson
11-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Dirk Nowiztki and Kevin Garnett will never EVER be teammates... It just ain't gonna happen. Really, the idea is absurd... It's as ridiculous as suggesting that Houston trade for Shaq, and then move Yao to the 4, or that Kobe and AI will ever be teammates. Absurd.

poohrichardson
11-08-2005, 06:16 PM
Garnett would be more likely to play the 4 with Dirk at the 3, or KG at the 5 with Dirk at the 4. I couldn't see Garnett playing the 3 at all.

But let's all remember this.. it's impossible to get equal value for Shaq, and that didn't stop LA from getting 30 cents on the dollar for him. A Garnett trade is very possible.

Dirkenstien
11-08-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by: SeriousSummer
Harris, Howard + KVH for Garnett works under the CBA. One or two draft choices and/or either MBenga or Pavel might tempt Minnesota. Although, it's a big price to pay even for Garnett.

Dallas line-up:

Dampier/Diop
Nowitzski/Powell
Garnett/Stackhouse/
Christie/Daniels
Jet/Armstrong

Pavel/Marshall

This would seem to be our best offer. We would have to throw in atleast two future first rounders and probably cash considerations.

That is a steep price, but if it landed us Kevin Garnett then so be it.

Dirkenstien
11-08-2005, 07:12 PM
In order for KG to be traded two things would have to happen:
1) The Timberwolves would have to be not performing well and at the bottom of the standings.
2) KG would have to request a trade to a competitor.

A look at what the Wolves lineup would look like if the trade went through:

Jaric / Harris / Hudson
Josh Howard / Hassel / Hudson
Szczerbiak / McCants / Griffin
Keith VanHorn / Griffin / Madsen
Olowakandi / Nikoloz Tskitishvili/ Madsen

That's not a very good lineup but it is flooded with youth and potential.

birdsanctuary
11-08-2005, 07:21 PM
Dirk for KG is a hell of a gamble, it might work out and win a championship, and it might not.

As of yesterday I am inclined to follow the pizza analogy and just let this team fully bake and then let it cool.

Is the surrounding personnel in Dallas better than KG's squad that faced the Lakers?
I'm not totally convinced that this is the case.
I'd feel much better with KG and Dirk maybe playing the center spot or the 3, which would be a hell of a stretch on defense.
KG and Kobe would be a great combo, but I'd never want him in the West after a trade. NJ would be a great spot.

Bottom line, KG's not going anywhere. If McHale has any sense, he will continue to draft quality young talent to add to KG.
I like what Minny's got this year, I like the trade for Jaric and picking up McCants in the draft. In a few years they could be very, very good.

EricaLubarsky
11-08-2005, 07:29 PM
If Dirk for Garnett is a hell of a gamble, then trading away all of our depth for Garnett would be too. If Dirk and Garnett didnt compliment each other (and I'm not sure that they would), we'd be in a serious situation.

sike
11-09-2005, 11:59 AM
*sigh* my biggest would not be if their games would mesh, but would their personalities? You can make the game work... I could see KG drawing the double team and hitting dirk for the open jumper all day and vica versa Dirk (who demands as much defensive attention as anyone) would open up KG's offensive game. I like and dislike the idea at the same time. Dirk is my favorite player in the league, so I'm not hot for trading him (escecially with KG's knee being a constant issue)...but I would have to think about it long and hard

lets think about this....a straight up swap of KG for Dirk....

the lineups would only change in one spot: Terry/Christie/Howard/Dirk/Damp or Terry/Christie/Howard/KG/Damp..which do you prefer?
Terry/Harris
Christie/Quis/Stack
Howard/Quis/KVB
Dirk/KVB
Damp/Diop/Dirk

or

Terry/Harris
Christie/Quis/Stack
Howard/Quis/KVB
KG/KVB
Damp/Diop/Dirk

another good question woud be "Which player does our bench better support?"

FilthyFinMavs
11-09-2005, 12:35 PM
I think KG is the better player but Dirk is more suited for the Mavs. At the end of the day though the only deal either team could end up getting equal value for is a Dirk for KG straight up and I don't believe either team would do it.

EricaLubarsky
11-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
I think KG is the better player but Dirk is more suited for the Mavs. At the end of the day though the only deal either team could end up getting equal value for is a Dirk for KG straight up and I don't believe either team would do it.

I actually think that on talent, Dirk ang KG are tied, but KG fits what AJ wants to do a lot better.

But its all moot, because if Cuban really is shopping for KG, he's shopping at an auction of his peers who are probably rabid to bid.

Murphy3
11-09-2005, 05:14 PM
If you trade Dirk for KG, I would question this team's ability to come up with key buckets in a 7 game series. I don't think the Mavs would have a guy that could carry the team offensively in the playoffs when it's needed. Dirk does that....

Now, who's the better player? Historically, I would say KG. But, I think Dirk did alot to close the gap last year and will hopefully continue to do so this year.

FilthyFinMavs
11-10-2005, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky

Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs

I actually think that on talent, Dirk ang KG are tied, but KG fits what AJ wants to do a lot better.

But its all moot, because if Cuban really is shopping for KG, he's shopping at an auction of his peers who are probably rabid to bid.

I'd agree with that. I sort of forgot AJ is trying to turn Dirk's play into Duncan's game in a way and KG is more suited for that role than a Dirk. I just hope AJ decides to choose a different offensive scheme for the Mavs than the one the Spurs use because the Mavs don't have the personnel.

11-10-2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by: Thespiralgoeson
Dirk Nowiztki and Kevin Garnett will never EVER be teammates... It just ain't gonna happen. Really, the idea is absurd... It's as ridiculous as suggesting that Houston trade for Shaq, and then move Yao to the 4, or that Kobe and AI will ever be teammates. Absurd.

I didn't think Shaq and Zo would ever play together. Just like Payton, Malone going to LA...
KG and Dirk could happen in ~5 years trying to get a ring.

Thespiralgoeson
11-10-2005, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by: #41

Originally posted by: Thespiralgoeson

I didn't think Shaq and Zo would ever play together. Just like Payton, Malone going to LA...
KG and Dirk could happen in ~5 years trying to get a ring.

When both of them are nearing the end of their careers, mere shells of the players they are now... sure, it's possible... But still highly highly doubtful. As for them being teammates while they're still superstars... No frickin way.

alby
11-21-2005, 04:25 PM
anyone have the ESPN insider article that talks about maybe KG becoming a Knick come February?

4cwebb
11-22-2005, 12:29 PM
First, if the Twolves trade KG, they will quickly sink back to the depths from which KG dragged them. He shouldn't have fallen in their lap in the first place, so I just have a hard time seeing the Twolves trading him while he is still relatively in his prime. When was the last time a player of that caliber got traded? With Shaq, there were injury concerns. What other arguably top three player in the NBA has been traded when he has no injury history.

Second, any combo of Dirk and KG would seemingly be lethal. I like what JHo brings to the table as much as the next guy, but he's not as necessary if KG is around. Presumably the Twolves wouldn't want a guy like Stackhouse stealing minutes from young guys, so the Mavs would presumably get to keep him, making Daniels potentially expendable. KVH --- obviously no longer necessary with KG on board.

Third, even if there are many other teams lining up for his services, the Mavs have so many quality NBA players at multiple positions that they could certainly offer an attractive package to the Twolves which didn't include Dirk.

Fourth, as someone mentioned above, the pizza cooling analogy may nevertheless be the best path in this instance. And seeing how the Mavs have handled both the Spurs and the Pistons recently, there's probably no need at this point to trying to fix what isn't broken.

alby
11-23-2005, 04:02 AM
Steve Francis
Baron Davis
Tracy McGrady
Vince Carter
Stephon Marbury
Jason Kidd
etc...

Antoine Walker
Antwane Jamison
Ricky Davis
Rasheed Wallace
etc...

are just a few of the superstars/stars in this league that have been traded...

4cwebb
11-23-2005, 07:04 AM
Steve Francis
Baron Davis
Tracy McGrady
Vince Carter
Stephon Marbury
Jason Kidd
etc...

Antoine Walker
Antwane Jamison
Ricky Davis
Rasheed Wallace
etc...

are just a few of the superstars/stars in this league that have been traded...

TMac and Kidd are the only ones I'd consider near the same level when they were traded as KG is right now. Kidd had the whole wife-beating incident, and TMac forced his way out. Guess KG could force his way out just like TMac, although TMac had a contract which was ending the following year, so if the Magic didn't trade him when they did, they would have probably not received anything in return. KG doesn't have that type of contractual leverage at the moment.

DwD
11-23-2005, 09:24 AM
Aren't we forgetting that Shaq got traded too? He is missing in the list above.

chumdawg
11-23-2005, 10:42 AM
Don't forget that Nash was essentially traded for Dampier.

alby
11-23-2005, 12:17 PM
just proving the point that superstars DO get traded in this league, even the Kevin Garnetts of the world.

dude1394
11-23-2005, 01:16 PM
It would be difficult for the mavs to pull the trigger on this deal since it probably jettisons the current season/team. Right now they are easily contending for a championship, do you pull the trigger on this and give up devin/daniels/jho/diop/damp who are pretty young and will only get better it seems.

birdsanctuary
11-23-2005, 01:27 PM
Isn't it hilarious that every time a big name player's name is disgruntled, NY always appears to be the team in the lead position to acquire them.

New York has absoluely no talent what so every to trade to acquire KG!
-wait a minute I take that back, they could trade Larry Brown, but not straight up cuz it wouldn't work with the CBA....

http://prosportsdaily.com/nba/knicks/rumors.html

alby
11-23-2005, 11:34 PM
IMO, they practically stole Marbury so you never know. It's New York, crazy things happen there.

birdsanctuary
11-24-2005, 12:33 AM
True enough...

Dirkenstien
11-24-2005, 09:53 AM
Wishful thinking by the yankees.

edit: but then again, the same can be applied to 26 or 27 other teams in the NBA. Including the Mavs if we are not willing to give up Dirk.