PDA

View Full Version : Are the L.A. CLipps for real @ 9-2?

sike
11-24-2005, 10:33 AM
they have an above average point, often dominant 2 gurad, and one of the best post players in the game...

what do you think their story will be this season?

Dirkenstien
11-24-2005, 11:25 AM
I think they are for real this season. And when they get Livingston back they'll just be that much deeper in the back court.

Good to see a new face emerge from the west coast.

sike
11-24-2005, 11:45 AM
I think they are for real this season. And when they get Livingston back they'll just be that much deeper in the back court.

Good to see a new face emerge from the west coast.
I agree...I hope Cassell can stay healthy...I would love it for the Clipps to be the show in town...just one more way for Kobe to suck it!

DubOverdose
11-24-2005, 12:08 PM
I'd say for real if Cassell stays healthy. The TWolves were good when he was good, and bad when he was bad. The Clippers have the talent this season, just like every other season, but the difference is now they have veteran talent and a stacked starting 5.

dirno2000
11-24-2005, 02:39 PM
The're for real. They haven't played the toughest schedule so they may drop a little but they're a playoff team.

They pick in the lottery every year so there's always have a lot of young talent. Now Brand and Magette are vets and they brought in two good ones in Cassell and Mobley.

Then you have the Dunlevy factor...I've always felt that he was a good coach. His one, two and three all like to have the ball in their hands...so far he's kept everybody happy and he has them playing defense. I watched the 2nd half of the Tor game last night. the Raptors controlled the game for 43 minutes but in the last five minutes the Clippers of all teams locked them down. The only FG's they got were when Mike James was able to create something one on one...well Mike's a nice player but if you're depending on him to take you home then you're not going to win a lot of games.

The crowd is eating it up also...that's going to be a tough place to play this year. Of course it's always been tough for us, even when they were'nt very good.

alby
11-24-2005, 04:49 PM
Brand is having a MVP season
but this cinderella will be over soon bc Cassell will unfortunately run into injuries within 5 weeks, i'm calling it...

4cwebb
11-24-2005, 07:42 PM
Cassell seems to be the key. Brand and Maggette have been solid players for the past couple of years. Mobley is a nice option to have on the floor, but probably not absolutely necessary. Cassell has been doing a good job of controlling the flow of the offense, and considering the Clips didn't really have a PG last year, Cassell's been a definite improvement.

They have athleticism off the bench in Wilcox and Ross, and once they get Livingston back they may be even better. I wouldn't mind seeing them continue to play well and win the Pacific this year.

jleefilled
11-24-2005, 09:41 PM
This is a great thread. To me, Cassell is doing for the Clippers what Nash did for the Suns -- taking a bottom-feeder with talent to a playoff calibur team. It's early, but I agree with a lot of the sentiment expressed already that if Cassell stays healthy the Clippers will remain a force in the Western Conference. A bit off topic but there are a couple of other teams that are really intriguing me as well this year -- the Bucks, the Wizards, and the Sixers. All these teams started out pretty hot but have cooled down in the past couple of weeks. I still see potential in all of them. The Sixers have some good players surrounding Iverson in Igudala, Korver, and Webber; The Bucks have TJ Ford looking like he might be a stud, Andrew Bogut developing, Jamal Magloire, and Michael Redd; and the Wizards have Arenas -- who has had some incredibly efficient games -- Jamison, and Brendon Haywood developing. I think a couple of these teams, especially Milwaukee, are really set to turn the corner. Though maybe I shouldn't, I almost take it for granted that the Warriors and the Cavaliers will make the playoffs.

edit, because I would like to recant what I said about the Warriors making it to the playoffs. I'm not really sure about them, but I do feel they already kind of turned the corner towards the end of last season. That being said, there is something about that team I just don't like. I feel like they might be just one bad stretch away from totally imploding -- as is the case with most of the up-and-comers.

snoop
11-24-2005, 11:38 PM
I think they are this years sonics, so yes they are real just not ready for a title run.

4cwebb
11-25-2005, 02:37 AM
edit, because I would like to recant what I said about the Warriors making it to the playoffs. I'm not really sure about them, but I do feel they already kind of turned the corner towards the end of last season. That being said, there is something about that team I just don't like. I feel like they might be just one bad stretch away from totally imploding -- as is the case with most of the up-and-comers.

Warriors are one Baron Davis back injury away from again being irrelevant --- I don't think Derek Fisher is the PG to carry all that young talent to the playoffs. Not to mention the fact that while Dunleavy Jr. would be a fine complimentary player on a better team (I'm thinking he'd be a great fit for the Sixers as does just enough other things than Korver to potentially make a difference), I don't think he's going to give enough to the Warriors. Could just be my hatred of all things Duke, though, that's clouding my judgment.

jleefilled
11-25-2005, 04:20 AM
I think your're right to say that they are one Baron Davis injury away from the lottery. Does Baron have back issues because he does seem to carry a lot of upper-body weight for a point? Anyhow, I think I have pinpointed what bothers me most about the Warriors, and it does have to do with with Davis. Maybe I've been too conditioned by the Marburys and the Fracises of the world to have a proper pespective on it, but I'm concerned that Baron will either be too impatient with the guys that are around him or that he won't be willing to take a "lesser" role should the guys around him develop. I just haven't seen enough of Baron to have any faith in a team led by him, yet. It will be interesting to see how this season plays out for the Warriors. Baron is undoubtedly a phenomenal talent. Maybe I'm pideon-holeing the man too much, but I can't help but draw the Francis and Marbury comparisons with him -- not that being compared with those guys is such a bad thing. For me, the question boils down to this, is Baron a winner or a whiner? Is it about it him or is it about the Warriors? Because if Baron really does have the right frame of mind, I think the Warriors will have more than a fighting chance at leaving the sewer of the NBA they've called home for the past ten years. Barring any injuries, of course. ( ;

4cwebb
11-25-2005, 08:57 AM
In that sense, then, the Clippers and Warriors are in the same position: if their respective PGs go down with an injury, I think it will be difficult for either to recover. If Livingston is back healthy it would make it easier on the Clippers --- don't know what the nature of his injury is.

Regardless, it's nice to see some new faces in the West making some noise, especially if it can be at the expense of the Lakers (again).

birdsanctuary
11-25-2005, 10:55 AM
They'll fall apart in the playoffs. Matching up against Minny, KG and co. smoke them right into oblivion, minus the lottery pick!

sike
11-25-2005, 10:59 AM
This is a great thread.
why thank you...

sike
11-25-2005, 11:00 AM
I'm always interested in yalls opinions of other NBA teams...and usually impressed....though never with drino!

kg_veteran
11-25-2005, 11:10 AM
The Clippers are for real this year for the same reason that the Suns were for real last year -- they have a really nice starting lineup, and they play them a lot.

Brand and Maggette are an excellent pair of forwards, and Cassell and Mobley are a very solid veteran backcourt. Mobley is a guy who can knock down the outside shot (which makes him a nice pairing with Maggette on the wing), and Cassell is a clutch shooter who knows how to run a team, provided that he is healthy. Kaman may not be the 5th best player on the team, but Dunleavy's smart and plays a big man in the middle, and it is paying off for them.

They don't have much of a bench, although they have more in Wilcox and Ross (and later Livingston) than the Suns had last year.

Glad to see Kobe's Lakers relegated to second-class team in LA.

sike
11-25-2005, 11:12 AM
Glad to see Kobe's Lakers relegated to second-class team in LA.
this is the best part of it for me!

EricaLubarsky
11-25-2005, 11:45 AM
Warriors remind me most of the Wizards last year-- scrappy at times, REALLY messy offense but just enough of it and hardly any self-control.

If the west was as weak as the east last year, they'd make the playoffs, but they will be 9 or 10 out here.

alby
11-26-2005, 02:25 AM
I currently live in the Bay Area so I catch every Warriors game locally.. IMO, from what I've seen, Baron really enjoys playing with Jason Richardson and Troy Murphy (those are the only players he actually passes to). He attempts like 5 lobs to JRich a game, no joke. I think you are underestimating their offense, they actually have really good movement on the wings with Richardson and Dunleavy, when Dunleavy starts hitting some of his shots (he is shooting terribly), GS's ppg will increase from their current mark. Sometimes Baron takes illadvised long, I mean long three pointers early in the shot clock which definitely does not help, but that is what Baron is.

alby
11-26-2005, 02:28 AM
On the Clippers, Brand finally has some help and in return he is recieving some well deserved national attention, but I am not totally sold on this team just yet. I think Maggette is key because he puts a lot of pressure on the opposing front court and thus he earns a lot of trips to the line. Cat and Sam just like to play one and one and then settle for outside shots, we'll see how good this team really is (esp defensely) when those shots don't fall. Also, I think Cassell has a higher risk of injury compared to Baron just because of the age factor.

Male30Dan
11-26-2005, 02:43 AM
Clips will make the playoffs barring an injury to Cassell or Maggette but they will not be this year's Seattle, (they will likely finish somewhere between the 6th seed and 8th seed).

alby
11-26-2005, 02:46 AM
who are your playoff teams in the west by the way, just wondering..

Male30Dan
11-26-2005, 02:56 AM
Seeds:

1) SA
2) Phoenix
3) Denver
4) Dallas
5) Memphis
6) Clips
7) Houston
8) Golden State

Male30Dan
11-26-2005, 02:58 AM
The homer in me can obviously flip 1 and 4, but I just have to see it happen before calling it... Year after year we just cant put SA away and claim the division. I have no reason to think it will finish any different yet... After 50 games or so? Maybe it will be a bit more clear, but SA still looks like the team finishing with HCA throughout.

alby
11-26-2005, 03:01 AM
so Houston recovers from this abysmal start and finish 7th? I don't know if I can see that happening... I think the Rockets are dangerously close to falling too far behind the rest of the pack to do anything. I think an Adelman firing will jumpstart the Kings into the playoffs.

alby
11-26-2005, 03:02 AM
The homer in me can obviously flip 1 and 4, but I just have to see it happen before calling it... Year after year we just cant put SA away and claim the division. I have no reason to think it will finish any different yet... After 50 games or so? Maybe it will be a bit more clear, but SA still looks like the team finishing with HCA throughout.

it's been so frustrating to only lose to the Spurs by one or two games the last 5 years, but I think this year will be different because we will own the tiebreaker =)

Male30Dan
11-26-2005, 03:03 AM
so Houston recovers from this abysmal start and finish 7th? I don't know if I can see that happening... I think the Rockets are dangerously close to falling too far behind the rest of the pack to do anything. I think an Adelman firing will jumpstart the Kings into the playoffs.

Please... You must have forgot what happened with LA a few years back when their superstar was gone for an extended amount of time... When McGrady gets back they have the same unstoppable pick and roll that they ran on us... There is no way they miss the playoffs assuming McGrady is back healthy, (which I assumed when making my predictions - if he fails to stay healthy, move GS up to 7 and add Minny at 8).

alby
11-26-2005, 03:06 AM
I don't think Tmac has the type of injury that will just cure, I think his back problems are going to linger for the whole year. You bring up an interesting point with Minnesota, what if KG gets traded though? :O

Male30Dan
11-26-2005, 03:09 AM
I don't think Tmac has the type of injury that will just cure, I think his back problems are going to linger for the whole year. You bring up an interesting point with Minnesota, what if KG gets traded though? :O

Well that would just depend on what they get in return... KG might bring you back a ton of talent or just stuff to build for the future...

alby
11-26-2005, 03:12 AM
I think they are looking towards the future if they moved KG. They will definitely not get a KG-caliber player in return, so the best thing would be draft picks IMO.

Male30Dan
11-26-2005, 03:14 AM
I think they are looking towards the future if they moved KG. They will definitely not get a KG-caliber player in return, so the best thing would be draft picks IMO.

Well KG makes a SHIT-LOAD of money so a lot of salary must come back... Where do you see him going and for what? Dallas ain't gonna happen so don't even try with us...

alby
11-26-2005, 03:15 AM
Personally, I see the Kings (WHAT?) but that's just me.

Male30Dan
11-26-2005, 03:17 AM
Personally, I see the Kings (WHAT?) but that's just me.

Wow... That would rock the NBA... But you see, to me, that would HAVE to involve Bibby or Peja to get it done and that would go against your NO SUPERSTAR BACK comment, (and sure, both guys are short of superstar talent, but they are certainly more than the Stackhouse/KVH/Daniels level)!

DevinHarriswillstart
11-26-2005, 09:59 AM
In EL's little survey thingy, I picked the Clips as the surprise team in the league. So far they haven't disappointed.

4cwebb
11-28-2005, 12:31 AM
Clip-show has regressed a bit in its last two games, losing to Denver and the Pacers most recently with Artest back in the lineup. Still, 9-4 nothing to complain about from their perspective. Still first in the Pacific. Good for the Mavs as it gives them a half game advantage for now.