PDA

View Full Version : Ruben Patterson cusses out Portland coaching staff and is stewing in inactive limbo

Evilmav2
11-26-2005, 11:50 PM
http://207.44.220.101/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/Patterson_Ruben_por.jpg
Patterson Shocked at Suspension

Out for two games and dropped to the inactive list, Patterson's incident sparks talk of a trade from his agent

Thursday, November 24, 2005
JASON QUICK

Ruben Patterson couldn't believe what he was hearing Wednesday: After being told Monday to leave the Trail Blazers, the team now said it was going to suspend him for two games.

"For what?" an incredulous Patterson said Wednesday from his home in Columbus, Ohio. "They are the ones who told me to go home, so I went home. They are the ones who put me on the inactive list. I don't know what else to do. I mean, since they ain't going to play me, why don't they just trade me?"

Patterson could be traded today, his agent says, if Trail Blazers general manager John Nash was willing.

"There is not only interest in Ruben, there are trades out there," agent Dan Fegan said. "Two weeks ago New York offered Malik Rose; yeah, that's right, they offered a trade, but John Nash only wants short-term contracts. He could trade Ruben tomorrow."

Nash, however, is sticking to his game plan of making trades that are responsible, both from a fiscal and competitive standpoint. He said he is hopeful but skeptical a trade can be found that meets his parameters.

"We are hoping his agent can come up with something," Nash said.

The suspension was retroactive to Tuesday's game at Memphis, and coupled with Wednesday's game at Miami, Patterson no longer is suspended, only inactive. Nash said the Blazers came to the decision to suspend Patterson on Tuesday, taking an extra day after sending him home to review the facts.

The NBA played a part in the decision, voicing concern Monday that the Blazers were using the inactive list as a way to punish a player, which was against the spirit of the guidelines outlined in the new collective-bargaining agreement. However, Nash said the team was leaning toward suspending Patterson after Sunday's incident.

Patterson, who stands to lose $115,512 in salary, said he will file an appeal with the players association. He said Sunday's incident is being blown out of proportion.

"I didn't cuss Nate out like everybody thinks," Patterson said. "I did go at it with Nate, and I used some swear words, but I didn't cuss him out."

Patterson said he cussed out assistant coach Monty Williams, who interjected during Patterson's rant at McMillan.

Ha Seung Jin, the Blazers Korean center, said, "Rube-Dawg [Patterson] told Monty that even though he was beaten with an ugly stick, he still wanted to **** him in his ***."

"But me and Monty cleared it up afterward; we're cool," Patterson said.

McMillan on Wednesday acknowledged that the harshest of Patterson's outburst was directed at Williams.

"It doesn't matter if it was at me or an assistant, it's still not going to be tolerated," McMillan said.

Nash said past disciplinary actions taken by the Blazers were used in determining the suspension, which mirrors the penalty levied upon Darius Miles last season for cursing coach Maurice Cheeks and the one given Bonzi Wells for a 2003 altercation with Cheeks.

"That makes me even more mad," Patterson said. "This is the same thing that happened to Darius, and they didn't even take no money from Darius -- zero, none, zero."

Miles' agent, Jeff Wechsler, said Miles was fined and donated the amount to two Portland charities in the form of game tickets.

Patterson's future with the Blazers remains unclear. The Blazers plan to keep him inactive for the rest of their Eastern trip, which ends after a Nov. 30 game at Washington, then revisit the situation.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/113280451175190.xml&coll=7

alby
11-27-2005, 02:07 AM
i hate patterson

i would HATE to see him in a Mavericks uni.

EricaLubarsky
11-27-2005, 10:35 AM
I'm not the last voice on this by far but Patterson is the best 2/3 available at the moment and for the cheapest price. As a Maverick you think about all the malignant players that have come here and have been happy, so there is at least a shred of hope that he would be a church mouse in DAllas, but at this point in time our roster is pretty much set, the guy is too volatile and we dont have the expiring contrects to get it done. Nash is basically saying that he just wants to clear patterson from the Blazers roster and payroll