PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the Kings?

vjz
12-09-2005, 10:05 AM
The Kings have always been my second favorite team.

I was looking at the standings, and just realized that the Kings are last in the Pacific division, with a 7-12 record!

That's stunning, given they generally start fast, and they arguably have the best starting five in the league.

So, anyone following the Kings who can help make sense of this?

Hitman
12-09-2005, 10:38 AM
It is suprising because two years ago they were the best team in basketball before Webber came back. People were touting Peja as the MVP. He is definitely nowhere near the player he was just 18 months or so ago, so I guess there is your answer.

Hitman
12-09-2005, 10:38 AM
It is suprising because two years ago they were the best team in basketball before Webber came back. People were touting Peja as the MVP. He is definitely nowhere near the player he was just 18 months or so ago, so I guess there is your answer.

Nash13
12-09-2005, 10:55 AM
They can't defend, no bench, average coach, and have no go-to guy. That team was destined for their record.

vjz
12-09-2005, 11:19 AM
Peja was awful last night against the Rockets. His play doesn't make any sense either. He is missing wide open 3's he would've normally made blind-folded a couple of years ago.

As usual, Kenny and Charles analysis was useless: blame the CWeb trade.

There could be something to the blame Adelman thing though he did have a string of 50 win seasons.

The whole thing is mysterious. Maybe they'll bounce back, like last years Rockets.

EricaLubarsky
12-09-2005, 01:13 PM
They've been on the way to failure for years now. They somehow succeeded last year despite it all, but this year their destiny is catching up to them.

dalmations202
12-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Let's see. No lockdown defender, poor team defense, offense designed around passing and cutting with players more adept to an inside-out game now. Peja playing two or three levels below where he was playing. Bibby slowing down. Overall, little toughness, and no bench.

IMO, look out for Peja though, after he gets out of Sac. His play eerily reminds me of the play of one Vince Carter -- late in Toronto.

AxdemxO
12-09-2005, 03:27 PM
The Kings have a good coach..thye just traded the wrong guy.
They should have traded Peja and kept Webber.

jthig32
12-09-2005, 05:03 PM
They aquired Rahim. That is the basketball kiss of death.

Sports' Guy:
(Random question: If Shareef Abdur-Rahim bought Google stock, would it immediately drop under $100 a share? If he joined the cast of "Lost," would the show immediately start sucking? What are the limits of his powers? I really want to know.)

Five-ofan
12-09-2005, 06:27 PM
Peja is there best defender. That is why they suck.

dude1394
12-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Webber is done. Good grief Philadelphia is what 7-10 or something.. It just illustrates again how absolutely stupid Barkley is.

Mavdog
12-09-2005, 07:40 PM
"not so fast there"...
other than a lower shooting %, he's pretty close to his career avg this year.
Webber 2005:
Ranks #10 in the NBA in Rebounds Per Game(10.1)
Ranks #8 in the NBA in Minutes Per Game(39.8)
Ranks #4 in the NBA in Minutes Played(757.0)
Ranks #15 in the NBA in Field Goals Made(148.0)
Ranks #6 in the NBA in Field Goal Attempts(353.0)
Ranks #13 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds(52.0)
Ranks #8 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds(140.0)
Ranks #12 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per Game(7.4)
Ranks #7 in the NBA in Total Rebounds(192.0)
Ranks #19 in the NBA in Points(366.0)
Ranks #10 in the NBA in Double-doubles(10.0)

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/chris_webber/index.html

MavKikiNYC
12-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Rumors that a Peja-for-Artest deal has been discussed.

Vescey talks about Barkley talking about it---speculates that Chuckie got some inside info from Reggie Miller.

First Adelman gets fired. Then a deal for Peja.

As for She-Webb, stats don't lie, but they can deceive. My impression is that Webber looks like half the player he used to be. He's playing like Karl Malone played when he was 40.

snoop
12-10-2005, 12:06 AM
the bad thing about the kings is they dont have any bright young stars to look forward to.

dirno2000
12-10-2005, 12:11 AM
Webber and Christie were the heart and soul of the team. Christie was traded for Mobley who is no longer there and Webber was traded for three useless bench players. So they let the team leaders go and basically got nothing in return.

I don't think it's defense, they haven't really been good defensively since Webber went down in Dallas. You can win regular season games without playing defense.

It is funny that Reef is apparently headed for another losing season.

Webber is done. Good grief Philadelphia is what 7-10 or something.. It just illustrates again how absolutely stupid Barkley is.

I don't think you can compare Webber in Sac to Webber in Philly. He's infinitely more valuable to the kings because he was tailor made for that high post "Princeton" offense.

The Crippler
12-11-2005, 12:22 AM
They aquired Rahim. That is the basketball kiss of death.

Sports' Guy:
(Random question: If Shareef Abdur-Rahim bought Google stock, would it immediately drop under $100 a share? If he joined the cast of "Lost," would the show immediately start sucking? What are the limits of his powers? I really want to know.)

This is the correct answer right here. Reef is a loser. He's one of those players that just will never win. Also adding other career losers such as Kenny Thomas doesn't help much.

vjz
12-11-2005, 08:10 AM
the bad thing about the kings is they dont have any bright young stars to look forward to.

Great point. Even the future looks bleak :(

I am sooo glad the Mavs consistently got younger even while winning, and we have several young stars in the making.

EricaLubarsky
12-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Some moron gave me bad rep anonymously with the tagline

"the Kings will win the rings before allas ever deos"

what a loser.

dirno2000
02-03-2006, 11:15 PM
The Kings reached a new low tonight in Utah as they squandared away a 13 point lead by going 0-20 in the 4th quarter!

Drbio
02-03-2006, 11:31 PM
Holy crap..0-20? How many FT's did they get? That is awful.

MavsFanFinley
02-03-2006, 11:34 PM
They scored 12 points to the Jazz 34 in the 4th quarter. It was ugly.

It's obvious they need a center. Brad Miller is out another couple games, Skinner gets limited minutes and that's it.

Milles
02-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Link to Kings fan PBP ... the fourth quarter started off innocently enough, then, KA POW
They did not make a f/g in that quarter ... Rather hard to fathom, the law of averages says that they should have made at least one, even with Miller out.

http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10454&page=3

u2sarajevo
We really are pretty fortunate to have the Center rotation we have.

dude1394
Artest didn't save them? sheesh... He did jack up the most shots however.

And I still think weber is done. He may even get his numbers, but his day as an impact player is over.

alby
02-04-2006, 12:15 AM
What happened to the Kings?

They suck?

alby
02-04-2006, 12:16 AM
they are 13-11 at home

AT HOME IN ARCO

and they are 6-16 on the road

enough said.

Thespiralgoeson
02-04-2006, 12:18 AM
I still don't see how ANYONE, let alone the majority of the basketball world, could've thought the Kings were going to succeed this year. Everything that made the old '02 and '03 Kings so great was long gone; the best passing frontcourt in recent history, a true franchise player (Cwebb) a legitimate bigman (Vlade), a lockdown perimeter defender (Christie) and a friggin bench! Anyone remember how deep that old Kings team was? Bobby Jackson, Hedo Turkoglu, Jimmy Jackson, Keon Clark, Scott Pollard... All gone.

And somehow, Bonzi Wells and Shareef Abdur Rahim were supposed to revive that team? Sheesh.

Milles
02-04-2006, 02:48 AM
I just looked at where the, twelve "experts", at ESPN felt the Kings would finish in the Pacific Division. Nine picked 1st place, one picked 2nd, and two picked 4th and out of the playoffs. And people still get worked up about what these guys write? They don't seem to know anymore than the average fan.

Now, with Miller out for who knows how long, they might have to start playing for lottery balls, if they weren't already and a new coach. Hello, Nellie.(I know, Nellie could/would not sign until after the summer)

alby
02-04-2006, 02:50 AM
I think they already decided on going after the balls, Artest is a good change of pace for their fans and their business so things won't get too dull until they try it again next year.

Thespiralgoeson
02-04-2006, 04:17 AM
I don't get why anyone would think that Adleman is what's wrong with Sacramento. If there's anyone who should stay, it's Adleman. The only person you could really blame is Petrie, but his record before last year was so solid, I think they'd be foolish to get rid of him. They did the right thing by trading CWebb, but for reasons beyond my understanding they thought they could salvage their team with Bonzi Wells and Shareef Abdur Rahim. They should've either traded for a PF who can friggin rebound and play some defense, or just entered full-scale rebuilding mode and try to trade for draft picks. Getting Artest is a big step back in the right direction, but they've got to get some depth. Most importantly though, they have GOT to get rid of either SAR or Miller (they'd be much smarter to keep Miller), and replace one of them with a bruiser. You just can't win games when both your power forward and your center are weak defenders, have no inside game, and are bad offensive-rebounders.

dude1394
02-04-2006, 10:10 AM
They look like they tried to build it around peja and bibby. Good players but not difference makers it would seem.

You have to have a difference maker in this league, a guy who can get you 20+ everynight no matter what. Even though I think CWebb is done, he was their difference maker.

Bookit
02-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Too bad Artest will be injured most of the season as he has been most of his career.

alby
02-04-2006, 11:50 AM
They do have "bruisers" at the 4. Kenny Thomas, Williamson, Skinner can be classifed as tough guys who scrap on defense and rebound. I think they should get rid of Brad "the worst defensive C in the L" Miller imo.

Thespiralgoeson
02-04-2006, 10:43 PM
They do have "bruisers" at the 4. Kenny Thomas, Williamson, Skinner can be classifed as tough guys who scrap on defense and rebound. I think they should get rid of Brad "the worst defensive C in the L" Miller imo.

Well, let me be more specific then; they need a bruiser in their startin lineup. Miller is a weak defender, but if he's put next to a power player who compensates for his shortcomings on the defensive end and on the offensive glass, he's very effective. He was a terrific fit in Indiana with JO.

mcsluggo
02-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Well, as usual the Kings have had some serious injury issues. TO say they had a strong starting line-up is kinda meaningless when they have rarely had even half of it playing (at least any where near full strength)

Bonzi Wells has been out for ever.
Abdur Rahim might as well still be out, playing with his jaw wired shut ain't cutting it.
Peja had been in one game out two with nagging back issues
now miller has taken his anual trip to the IR

the only good deal from all of this has been the fact that it has FORCED them to play their two young swing-men (Kevin Martin and Garcia) who have both been a little bit of a pleasant surprise.

I agree with you spiral, they really are only one good bruiser (a low rent one would be fine), a decent backup pg, and some health (and time to gel and learn each other) from being a respectable 3 - 5 seed type team.

alby
02-15-2006, 01:12 AM
Artest tonight

27 points
14 rebounds
3 assists
3 steals

What a waste of talent seriously.

jayC
02-15-2006, 11:20 AM
The Kings are only three in a half games out of eighth in the West. They have a decent core with Artest , Bibby, Shareef and Miller. Miller is averaging 15.0 points eight rebounds and 5.0 assists per game. He is about to turn 30. Artest is still a great player. He might be the best two way player in the game. He is way better than anything they could have gotten in free agency.

This team can definitely be a number five seed next year.

MrCheerios
02-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Artest is a beast. It's amazing how much one player can change a team's defensive identity.

Arne
02-15-2006, 02:37 PM
The league should be kind of scared if you think about how good this team will be when they've got Bonzi Wells back.

The guy would make a great wing combo with Artest. Bonzi is a really good defender and has averaged nearly 15 points, 8 rebounds 3 assists and 2 steals in 34 minutes per game.

Bibby
Wells
Artest
Abdur-Rahim
Miller

Really good starting line-up and then look at their bench:

Kevin Martin (great athlet and great shooter)
Kenny Thomas (really good rebounder 7 in 27 minutes and can score a good portion if needed)
Francisco Garcia (their rookie, has a lot of talent, but even right now he knows how to play defense and has looooong arms)
Brian Skinner (can defend, hustles for every ball)
Corliss Williamson (has been coming of the bench for almost his entire career, knows what he's got to do...)

This team could be a surprisingly tough opponent for the number one seed if they make it to the playoffs.

alby
02-15-2006, 08:14 PM
when its all said and then, Sac AND Hou might end up being in the playoffs

vjz
02-15-2006, 10:12 PM
Atrocious game for Artest and the Kings tonite @ Memphis.

Artest: 4-20, going 0-8 on 3pt. attempts. He still has 6reb, 4ast, 5stl.
Kings shoot 1-19 overall on 3 pointers.

alby
02-15-2006, 10:49 PM
lol ouch.

alby
02-15-2006, 10:49 PM
8 three point attempts???

alby
02-23-2006, 05:51 PM
hope to see Artest guard Kobe tonight