PDA

View Full Version : Stoudamire leaves floor on stretcher

MavsFanFinley
12-31-2005, 12:21 AM
Stoudamire leaves floor on stretcher

December 30, 2005

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Memphis guard Damon Stoudamire was taken off the floor on a stretcher in the first half of the Grizzlies' game with the Portland Trail Blazers after losing his footing and crashing to the ground.

Stoudamire suffered a sprained right knee, said Grizzlies spokeswoman Stacey Mitch, and was being further evaluated at the Rebound Clinic in the Rose Garden Arena.

Stoudamire, a Portland native who played more than seven seasons for the Blazers, slipped while driving to the hoop with just with 4:02 left in the half and Memphis leading 45-35. He landed on his back side, staying motionless with his head buried in his arm for few minutes until being taken off the court.

Stoudamire, who signed a four-year deal with Memphis in the offseason, had four points, six rebounds and three assists in 14 minutes.

mary
12-31-2005, 12:42 AM
According to the Grizz message board, NBA TV reported that its a Patellar Tendon Rupture.

ETA: Now reporting that he's out for the season.

Honestly, I feel for Memphis and their fans in this situation. This sucks.

dude1394
12-31-2005, 01:07 AM
Really a tough break for the grizzlies. I thought stoudamire really brought a lot to the table for them. It can sure change quickly.

Drbio
12-31-2005, 02:37 AM
ouch. That is a serious injury.

bernardos70
12-31-2005, 12:27 PM
It hurts just reading the name of the injury...... gah.

Terrible break for Memphis, and even tougher for Stoudamire. I can't even imagine the pain. I always liked his game even in his Portland days, and he really seemed to be helping the Grizzlies this year. The grizzlies though do seem to be at least moderately well suited to deal with this injury (with bobby jackson starting).

dude1394
12-31-2005, 12:58 PM
This will be really a bad deal for the grizzlies imo. One of the things I thought they had going for them was putting both of those jitterbugs on the floor at the same time.

I think the NBA quite frankly has begun to value speed/quickness on the perimeter much more than in the past.

Prior to this year the bigger point/sgs were posting up all day, that's not occuring nearly as much it seems to me, it's drive and dish. That's why I think jason/devin works pretty good out there.

mavsman
12-31-2005, 09:20 PM
Oh damn. That injury ended my career and it's not a nice one to have. I remember not feeling any pain at all, probably because of the shock, but the whipping sound (really as loud as a cracking whip and almost as loud as an achilles tendon tearing) and most of all the sight of that weird giant ball in my thigh (the curled-up upper part of the tendon) and the loose kneecap made me vomit in the lockerroom while waiting for the ambulance. Hope he recovers soon.