PDA

View Full Version : Amare Stoudamire?

sp3nc3r13
01-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Just a question thread....when is this guy expected back? If and when he comes back don't you all think he presents a serious problem in the playoffs with the on-the-rise Phoenix team?

MavKikiNYC
01-04-2006, 07:41 PM
1) Next year.

2) No.

EricaLubarsky
01-04-2006, 07:48 PM
I thought he was supposed to be back in feb or march?

and Im not afraid of him this year but he could be dangerous in the coming seasons if he comes back 80%+

MavsFanFinley
01-04-2006, 07:50 PM
I thought he was supposed to return right after the all-star break? They said they wouldn't rush him back so we'll see.

As for whether he'll be a threat or not? It all depends on whether his knee holds up and he's healthy enough to finish out the year.

sp3nc3r13
01-04-2006, 07:55 PM
1) Next year.

2) No.

I haven't heard this anywhere...

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 12, 2005 12:00 AM

Shawn Marion was sitting courtside Friday, talking as positively as his Suns coach and the team's point guard about how the Suns can survive Amaré Stoudemire's absence with as many points and as much speed when assistant Alvin Gentry walked by the All-Star forward.

"No, it's not that much pressure," Gentry interjected. "He's just got to average 35 (points per game) and 17 (rebounds per game). That's not that big of a deal. He's just got to do it until the All-Star break."

Does this mean he should be back after the all-star break?

kriD
01-05-2006, 05:53 AM
From the East Valley Tribune on Dec. 26, 2005:

“Amare Stoudemire is back on the basketball court shooting free throws, moving day to day with some discomfort but no pain and - according to everyone from doctors to therapists to teammates - is a tad ahead of the four-to-five-month schedule in his rehabilitation from the Oct. 11 microfracture surgery on his left knee. That doesn’t mean Stoudemire will be on the floor before the Feb. 18 All-Star game, or even right after.“

sp3nc3r13
01-05-2006, 12:56 PM
From the East Valley Tribune on Dec. 26, 2005:

“Amare Stoudemire is back on the basketball court shooting free throws, moving day to day with some discomfort but no pain and - according to everyone from doctors to therapists to teammates - is a tad ahead of the four-to-five-month schedule in his rehabilitation from the Oct. 11 microfracture surgery on his left knee. That doesn’t mean Stoudemire will be on the floor before the Feb. 18 All-Star game, or even right after.“

thanks krid. this clears alot up for me!

mary
01-08-2006, 12:40 AM
Stoudemire: 'Once I get back, we can't be stopped'

The Phoenix Suns are first in the Pacific Division despite playing without forward/center Amare Stoudemire, their leading scorer last season who had surgery on his left knee Oct. 11. The fourth-year veteran, a second-team All-NBA pick and a first-time All-Star last season, was a major reason the Suns had the best record in the NBA. The 23-year-old rising star talked with USA TODAY NBA reporter Roscoe Nance about his injury and the Suns' success this season.
Stoudemire says he does not feel pain in his knee and his rehabilitation is going well.

Q: How is your rehab progressing?

A: It's going great. We're pretty much on schedule. I'm not doing too much weight-bearing (exercise), and I haven't started running and jumping yet. I'm right on target, and I don't really feel any pain.

Q: What are you able to do?

A: I'm shooting free throws and doing correctional exercises to strengthen certain ligaments and certain muscles that were pretty weak after the surgery.

Q: Do you have a target date for your return?

A: No, not exactly. It depends on how I feel in the next couple of months. That will determine when I get back out there.

Q: How frustrating has it been for you?

A: It's tough. This year was going to be my breakout year. I was looking to having a huge year. But as soon as I get back, I'll be right on pace to pick up where I left off.

Q: Most people wrote the Suns off when you went down. What were your expectations?

A: It's not surprising how well we have played. I helped make some of these offseason acquisitions and bring in a few guys. I knew the type of players we have. Once I went down, I figured we would be slack in a few categories, but they've done a great job of playing hard and bringing in some wins.

Q: Is there any difference in the Suns this season and a year ago?

A: We're better defensively with the offseason acquisitions. With the veterans we brought in and the veterans we had, we're much more on point with what we should do defensively. Eddie House has done a good job coming off the bench and filling the scorer's slot. Kurt Thomas was one of the main guys we wanted to bring in because of his interior defense. Raja Bell was another guy we wanted to pick up for his defense.

Q: Do you see this as a championship team?

A: No doubt about it. As soon as I get back, we're making a push for it. If everything stays on schedule and I don't experience too much pain, I definitely will be back this year. The (San Antonio) Spurs are up there, but once I get back, we can't be stopped. We just have to continue to stay on this good pace.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/suns/2006-01-04-20-second-timeout_x.htm

dude1394
01-08-2006, 12:43 AM
Stopped last year knucklehead.

Murphy3
01-08-2006, 10:51 AM
We can only hope that he's just a shell of his former self...

MavKikiNYC
01-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Suns' Stoudemire not expected to return until March

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

http://adsatt.espn.go.com/ad/sponsors/ESPN_In_House_Marketing/Dec_2005/espn-146x46-0001.gif (http://log.go.com/log?srvc=sz&guid=70AF0339-0E0F-44F4-932B-C5D1950CBC44&drop=0&addata=1332:63:218152:65&a=1&goto=http://www.mobileespn.com?campaign=mobile&source=insider_ah)

PHOENIX -- Suns forward Amare Stoudemire (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3607), who remains on course to resume basketball activity after the All-Star break next month, told ESPN.com on Friday that he doesn't expect to play his first real game until sometime in March.

"Right now, we're looking at about two months out," Stoudemire said following a rehab session for his surgically repaired left knee.
"That's what we're striving for right now."
Stoudemire underwent microfracture surgery Oct. 11 after knee soreness that surfaced during the offseason worsened during the first week of training camp. The Suns announced at the time that Stoudemire would miss "approximately four months," citing the nominal size and location of the defect and Stoudemire's age (he turned 23 on Nov. 16) as the basis for their belief that he could return to the practice floor in February.
Stoudemire's rehab, in the words of coach Mike D'Antoni, has progressed "ahead of schedule," to the point that Stoudemire is frequently seen shooting stand-still jumpers or free throws at practices. But D'Antoni cautions that the Suns will not budge from "a normal" recovery timetable.
The Suns acknowledge that the toughest steps of the recovery process are the latter steps. Stoudemire, who only just began what he called "hops and slight jumping," said Friday that he's not expecting to start jogging for another two weeks. Getting back into full-contact practices and restoring confidence in the knee are even bigger obstacles after Stoudemire proves he can run without discomfort.
"I think Amare's smart enough to know that we need him for the long haul and we're definitely smart enough [as an organization] to know that," D'Antoni said. "We're not going to push him.

"We don't have to do it this year and we don't have to do it next week. Everybody has the same goal -- get Amare 100 percent."

Stoudemire, who signed a five-year extension worth more than $70 million days before the surgery, said he's willing to sit out the entire season if he can't get to full capacity, but the most likely scenario remains a second-half return. Noting that the Suns have only three games in February after the All-Star break, D'Antoni echoed Stoudemire's projection for a return to the active roster.

"You're probably looking at the first part of March," D'Antoni said.

"Both options are out there," Stoudemire said of rejoining the team in the near future or waiting until next season. "Rehab is going great, but it just depends on how I feel. I really want to win a championship, and we're very close with the team we have. But health is the most important thing right now to me."

Despite playing for much of the season without its two greatest sources of speed -- Stoudemire and guard Leandro Barbosa (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3731), who returns from a recurring knee injury Saturday against Cleveland -- Phoenix is on the pace for the 50-win season D'Antoni predicted even after losing Stoudemire.

Reigning MVP Steve Nash (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3103) and All-Star forward Shawn Marion (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3332) are the only healthy returnees from the primary rotation that carried the Suns to a 62-win season and the Western Conference finals last season, but Phoenix has overcome the injuries and the departure of guard Joe Johnson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3520) to lead the league in scoring again (105.1 points per game) and significantly improve its defense (holding 21 of the 28 foes under 100 points after a 3-4 start).

Drbio
01-13-2006, 09:30 PM
That contract just keeps looking better and better.....

Thespiralgoeson
01-14-2006, 02:19 PM
If and when he comes back don't you all think he presents a serious problem in the playoffs with the on-the-rise Phoenix team?

"Black jesus" and his gang of misfits don't concern me even in the slightest. Honestly, they scare me about as much as Sacramento does.

Drbio
01-14-2006, 04:16 PM
An equally fair question would be if you thought Amare would completely disrupt any solid team play that is currently developing in Phoenix.

Milles
01-14-2006, 05:03 PM
An equally fair question would be if you thought Amare would completely disrupt any solid team play that is currently developing in Phoenix.

Anything I have read, Nash is always cautious about the reintroduction of Amare, aware that it will take time. He doesn't seem to be fooling himself by saying anything along the lines of, "boy, when Amare gets back, right to the top". In fact, if anything, he seems to downplay any immediate impact that Amare may have. This is from an SI article, earlier in the week.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/ian_thomsen/01/12/stoudemire/index.html

"It's not like we're incorporating a role player or a backup," said MVP point guard Steve Nash, referring to Stoudemire. "This team has worked hard to come together as a new team, so it's going to be a big adjustment for us. At the same time we're adding one of the top talents in the world, so we're looking forward to it."

Dirkenstien
01-14-2006, 05:20 PM
I think Amare will make an impact with Phoenix next season. He may play some this season but I believe it will take a while for him to get back to 100%

Drbio
01-14-2006, 06:09 PM
Anything I have read, Nash is always cautious about the reintroduction of Amare, aware that it will take time. He doesn't seem to be fooling himself by saying anything along the lines of, "boy, when Amare gets back, right to the top". In fact, if anything, he seems to downplay any immediate impact that Amare may have. This is from an SI article, earlier in the week.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/ian_thomsen/01/12/stoudemire/index.html

That's exactly my point. He isn't likely to take them anywhere this year but is conversely more likely to interupt the progress they have made in terms of gelling as a team.

dude1394
01-14-2006, 10:49 PM
Also little stevie is being smart. You can't sit around and wait for a guy to get back. You have to get it done with the guys on the court. If he gets back and get's re-introduced fine, if not then you are still competing.

MavKikiNYC
01-14-2006, 10:52 PM
They're discussing this now on Sports Center (or whatever) and they're starting to hint that he might stay out the season---that March is optimistic, that it will take him a minimum of 10-15 games to adjust, that his best basketball is ahead of him.....yada yada.

I'm going to go ahead and be pessimistic.

I don't think he'll make it back this year, and I think he'll be lucky to be 70% of what he was before.

dude1394
01-14-2006, 11:07 PM
If the suns are smart (and I think they are) they keep him out this year. He's just too valuable to have him hobbling around like webber unless he really heals up.

alby
01-15-2006, 06:54 PM
they are not going to be able to keep him out =\

sad, but true...

birdsanctuary
01-15-2006, 11:36 PM
I have two words for Amare Stoudimire DESAGANA DIOP

bernardos70
01-16-2006, 01:48 AM
Love 'Gana, but he'll get steamrolled by Stoudemire if he is 100%. The question is, will he ever with that microfracture surgery? There aren't that many other players I can think of that rely as much on their athleticism as Amare does. Without that explosion off the floor (which I imagine requires him to be in tip toe shape to pull off every night) he'll never be the same.

alby
01-18-2006, 08:09 AM
don't you mean DJ MBENGA!?

kriD
01-18-2006, 08:44 AM
I'm not sure if M'Benga will even be on the playoff roster. It's between him and Powell. The latter has a good chance as insurance for KvH.

Terry / Harris / Armstrong
Daniels / Stack
Howard / Griff
Dirk / KvH / Powell
Diop / Damp (/ KvH / Dirk / Powell)

But let's wait for Feb. 23 first ;)

alby
01-18-2006, 09:00 AM
Who would you rather back up if you were AJ..

Dirk/VanHorn or Damp/Diop

MavKikiNYC
02-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Magic: "It will be tough."

Barkley: He should stay out and rehab over the summer.

MRI will help determine when Amaré may return
Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Feb. 2, 2006 12:00 AM
BOSTON - Amaré Stoudemire will lie down for about 90 minutes this afternoon in the Valley, and it will be one of the most important stretches of his career.

Stoudemire is to undergo a fourth magnetic resonance imaging test today on his surgically repaired left knee, but it is the most important one. With good results, Stoudemire could "turn it up a notch," as the Suns power forward put it. He could be playing basketball in progressive stages this month and appearing in a Suns game as soon as the start of March if all went perfectly.

"Once I get back to the motion of jogging and running, we're getting close," Stoudemire said. "My thing is I just want to make sure I'm not feeling any pain regardless of what the MRI says. It's still up to me on how I feel and the pain tolerance."

Stoudemire has yet to feel any sharp pain, only the expected discomfort that Suns head athletic trainer Aaron Nelson defines as "uncomfortable" or "stiff."

If his MRI is nothing but positive again, Stoudemire will resume the same workout he had last season with strength and conditioning coach Erik Phillips three times a week. On three other days of the week, Nelson's work with Stoudemire will progress to "a lot more explosive stuff and jogging."

If Stoudemire can start jogging and getting his wind back, the Suns medical team will move him onto 5-on-0 play with no contact. With two weeks of that, he could begin one-on-one or two-on-two scrimmaging.

"Right now, it's even hard to put a time frame on everything because if and when we ramp up the activity, it's going to be how he responds," Nelson said. "He might respond great and we go right through things or he might get some general soreness, which I'd expect because he hasn't lifted the intensity up yet. It may be different so it's really going to be hard to put a specific time on it.

"The biggest thing is going to be once he clears all the physical hurdles, mentally when is he going to be ready? It's going to be totally up to him. When does he feel comfortable being able to do what he used to be able to do?"

Stoudemire, asked how much time he'd need to be playoff-ready, said, "Probably one game." It has been that kind of confidence that Nelson has needed to harness.

During the tedium of more than three months of baby steps, Stoudemire at times has tried to act on desire and move ahead of schedule. That's when Nelson reined him in.

Each step has excited Stoudemire. Nelson saw Stoudemire's eyes get big just over his first day of spot shooting or stationary ball handling.

Stoudemire's body looks more chiseled than ever with some extra pounds of muscle. He is at least as strong as he was last season.

Games such as Wednesday's win help Stoudemire temper his excitement to get back.

"I really want to get in the games we're struggling," he said. "I really want to get in and show them the Statmeister's back."

mary
02-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Suns forward Amaré Stoudemire received the positive news Thursday the team hoped he would get. The pivotal magnetic resonance imaging exam showed no problems.

The condition of his surgically repaired left knee will allow him to move forward with his rehabilitation, leading to the resumption of basketball activity, probably within the next few weeks.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0202suns.html

Murphy3
02-02-2006, 08:52 PM
Damn, I was hoping for " D. E. A. T. H. spells DEATH, DEATH, DEATH"

chumdawg
02-03-2006, 02:53 AM
Dude is going to be a monster when he comes back. I bet one year he averages 35 and 15.

jleefilled
02-03-2006, 03:20 AM
If that dude comes back healthy, that team is going to be monstrous.

kriD
02-03-2006, 05:30 AM
Stoudemire is cleared to intensify workouts

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic

Amaré Stoudemire starts moving faster today.

The Suns' sidelined star was still long enough Thursday for a pivotal magnetic resonance imaging exam, which showed no problems with how his surgically repaired left knee has responded to more than three months of rehabilitation.

That cleared the way for the team's medical staff to advance Stoudemire's work immediately. He will jog for the first time today, and with no setbacks, he could go through a progression of different basketball activities such as five-on-none, one-on-one and two-on-two play later this month.

Stoudemire can ramp up his agility drills to include multi-directional movement for the first time. He alternates days between agility and strength work.

Although Thursday's MRI was a major hurdle, the Suns do not have a timetable for his return. Stoudemire has said he would play no earlier than the first week of March, but also has mentioned coming back in April or not at all this season as possibilities.

"It just depends how he responds to it for when we progress," Suns head athletic trainer Aaron Nelson said. "We're heading in the right direction."

Stoudemire, 23, has not played this season after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on Oct. 11. He had a lesion that was 8 millimeters by 1 centimeter, requiring a microfracture procedure to repair the cartilage damage.

Phoenix leads the Pacific Division without him at 30-16 and plays the next four games at home, starting Saturday night against the Chicago Bulls.

Thespiralgoeson
02-03-2006, 05:49 AM
Dude is going to be a monster when he comes back. I bet one year he averages 35 and 15.

He'll be a monster, no doubt, but I think 35 and 15 is really pushing it. Not looking up the stats, I don't think Shaq ever averaged 35 and 15. Hard to see Amare doing that.

dirno2000
02-03-2006, 09:27 AM
I've yet to see a player come back from micro-fracture surgery without losing a step and Amare's game is built on quickness and athleticism. He'll still be a good player but I don’t think his top side is what it was at this time last year.

sike
02-03-2006, 09:58 AM
you crazy.

I actually thought Damp did an ok job on him...but he just could not stay in the game (fouls)

Thespiralgoeson
02-03-2006, 06:34 PM
you crazy.

I actually thought Damp did an ok job on him...but he just could not stay in the game (fouls)

Lord knows Duncan didn't do much better (or any at all)

alby
02-03-2006, 07:26 PM
This guy is getting WAY too much press for an injured player IMO.

MavKikiNYC
02-06-2006, 09:41 PM
The Long Road Back

By GEOFF VAN DYKE
Zach Randolph was worried. It was March 2005, and the 24-year-old Portland Trail Blazers forward had decided to undergo surgery to repair cartilage in his right knee, injured two months earlier. The procedure, called microfracture surgery, is daunting: an orthopedist removes loose cartilage and drills holes in the end of the femur. These "microfractures" bleed and clot, leading to the formation of new cartilage. The list of players who have had the surgery and struggled to return to peak level reads like an all-star team from the late 90's: Penny Hardaway, Jamal Mashburn, Allan Houston (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/h/allan_houston/index.html?inline=nyt-per), Chris Webber (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/w/chris_webber/index.html?inline=nyt-per). "You hear stories of guys not coming back, or coming back less strong," Randolph says. "This was my first surgery, and everything I was hearing about it was bad." On March 31, he went under the knife. Then the hard work began. Here's how Randolph got his knee back.
April
The Blazers' orthopedist, Dr. Don Roberts, and the team's athletic trainer, Jay Jensen, started Randolph on ehabilitation almost immediately after the surgery. For one week, eight hours a day, Randolph's knee was placed in a continuous-passive-motion machine, which flexes the joint without a person's having to use his muscles. He was on crutches for less than three weeks. Jensen compares this post-op period to planting a lawn: not putting any weight on the joint "allows us to begin the seeding process, the laying down of the replacement cartilage."
May
The hardest part of the rehab, Randolph says, was rebuilding his leg strength. Shortly after the surgery, he couldn't do a simple straight-leg raise (in which you recline on a table and raise one leg with your knee locked) because he was unable to tighten his quadriceps muscles.Jensen focused instead on exercises done in a pool, like running, straight-leg raises, hip abduction (lifting the leg to the side with the knee locked) and swimming. This hydrotherapy allowed Randolph to flex his knee and build strength without putting weight on the joint. By late in the month, he had regained his full range of motion.
July
Three months into the rehab process, Jensen started Randolph on the bike, increasing the length of his rides as the weeks progressed. Randolph also started shooting baskets with minimal movement and began weight training and leg raises with resistance to strengthen the atrophied muscles. "My major concern outside of Zach's knee was, How am I going to keep his weight down?" Jensen says. Randolph, who began the 2004-5 season at 253 pounds, overhauled his diet, eliminating red meat and pork. Through a combination of diet and exercise in the weeks to come, he was able to take off five pounds, reducing the load on his knee.
August
At this point, Jensen says, the two of them "really started hitting it." They stepped up the strength building with "closed chain" exercises — squats, quarter-squats and lunges — in which the feet are planted on the ground to reduce the stress on the knee. Randolph's knee still had swelling, which decreased as his leg became stronger. Jensen also emphasized cardio fitness, increasing the length and frequency of the bike rides. "I like the bike as a tool because it builds strength without the impact, and it's fun," Jensen says. "He had to keep up with me, and I had to keep up with him, so we both stayed in shape."
October
By September, Randolph was back on the court, but hardly in playing condition. He used pickup games to work on basketball-specific moves like pivots, backpedals and defensive slides.Jensen also put him through agility drills, like running with bungee cords for resistance, single-leg jumps to build explosive power, and power skipping, in which Randolph elevated as high as he could on each skip. Training camp began in October, and Randolph completed nearly all of the practices. "Riding the bike helped him regain strength, but it didn't help him get his basketball instincts back," Jensen says. "We tried to use training camp to do that, and to his credit, I think he only missed one practice."
December
By the beginning of the month, Jensen felt that Randolph had gotten "to the point where he's the old Zach." But Randolph wasn't so sure. "I wouldn't say that," he said, "but the knee is back to about 75 or 80 percent. It's a long process." By year's end, however, Randolph appeared to have regained his form:he was averaging 18 points and 9 rebounds, and had the game of his career right before Christmas, scoring 37 against Detroit. Even better, he had missed only one game.

Milles
02-11-2006, 07:29 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0211sunsnb0211.html

Amaré increases practice workload

Stoudemire's recovery process hit another landmark Friday when he joined in some team basketball for the first time, albeit with no defenders. He ran the floor and took shots - jumpers and lay-ins - as the Suns went through plays.

"It started out a little stiff, which is normal, but it felt great out there getting up and down and jumping and shooting as though I was never injured," Stoudemire said. "I'll tell you what: I really believe I'm coming back more explosive because of the correctional exercises the trainers have me doing and just the way I go about working out."

Stoudemire's debut in basketball simulation drew rave reviews from the select viewing audience of staff and teammates.

"He's so fast and powerful that even if he's 50 percent, he's one of the fastest and strongest guys we have," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. "It's amazing."

Stoudemire's workouts have intensified since the start of the month, when a positive magnetic resonance imaging test allowed him to jog for the first time. One week later, he moved onto the five-on-zero work that likely will lead to some two-on-two or one-on-one play this month.

Stoudemire described Friday as "only 50 percent. I'm trying to get back to 100 percent so that hands down, I'm stronger, faster, quicker."

dude1394
02-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Good for Amare', hope he's fine. I sorta doubt he'll be the same, but good luck.

D'Antoni and he should get a room however. sheesh...

kriD
02-23-2006, 06:45 AM
Stoudemire feels no pain in knee after 1-on-1 games

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic

Amaré Stoudemire was barely into his first basketball game in 8 1/2 months when he went down on his back. The US Airways Center's usual bustle of bouncing balls and chit-chat was replaced by a nervous silence.

Stoudemire then popped to his feet, signaled an offensive foul with a big grin, promptly nailed a baseline jumper and delivered a two-handed slam a few plays later.

Stoudemire's return to competitive basketball continued Wednesday with his first one-on-one play with contact. He matched up with another tall, athletic player in Nikoloz Tskitishvili for five games to five points each.

His competitive fire was clearly intact, screaming at the ball to "get in there" and asking to play a tiebreaking fifth game despite being obviously winded. It was 3-3 in the final game when Stoudemire hit a step-back 18-foot jump shot. After an exchange of misses, Stoudemire won with a straightaway three-pointer that was not his first three-point make of the session.

Because he was limited to shooting for two months, his perimeter game may be ahead of his inside game for now.

"My inside game is pretty much based on quickness and my quickness is back to where it was," Stoudemire said. "I've just got to get the explosiveness back and just get the feel back.

"I was getting more and more comfortable, not really favoring it, trying to get over that mental aspect and I felt pretty good toward the end."

Stoudemire said he felt no pain, only stiffness in the left knee that underwent the microfracture procedure in October.

"I was impressed because he seemed to get more and more comfortable," Suns assistant coach Marc Iavaroni said. "At first he was tentative but then got more and more sure of himself. It's hard to believe it's been this long and then here he is on the floor taking chances."

Even when the final game was done, Stoudemire asked Iavaroni if he could work on his defense some more. He said the feel of the defensive end would be hardest to regain.

"My feet were just a little slow," Stoudemire said. "I haven't moved them so fast in close to a year. I'm just trying to get back, get the feel of the game."

Stoudemire said he still would take slow steps, probably limiting himself to one-on-one play for about a week before moving to two-on-two.

"Feeling the power and the explosiveness is going to take time," Iavaroni said, explaining that Stoudemire would be searching for his balance with a healing left knee.

There is still no timetable, just private hopes of a return in mid- or late March. How much does he need to be playoff ready?

"It doesn't matter," Stoudemire said. "Once I get that feel back in the five-on-five and the physical contact, I'm ready for whatever."

orangedays
02-23-2006, 09:00 AM
Stoudemire's certainly made the most of his time off to make like, a bajillion commercials for Nike, almost all of which are pretty crappy. Hopefully his return to the court will signal an end to that.

DevinHarriswillstart
02-23-2006, 09:34 AM
I'm not scared of Amare or the Suns. Even if they did beat us in the playoffs, they will never with a championship all offense and no defense. THEY HAVE NO BIG MAN to patrol the paint. Amare is gonna get his points, with everyone else. As its proved time and time and time and time and time and time again, you don't EVER win a championship when you don't play defense. Did you see nash at the all-star game? Schooled by every guard he was guarding. This isn't optimism, its realism in today's nba. Offense just doesn't win championships. So with or without Amare, they aren't going to win it until they get at least in the top 10 in defense.

Nash13
02-23-2006, 12:45 PM
And when he comes back, that's going to put a damper on the rest of Diaw's season. Since Diaw needs the ball in his hands to be effective, he's going to figure out that the ball is going to either be in Nash or Amare's hands when he's on the court.

DevinHarriswillstart
02-23-2006, 12:48 PM
Exactly....and if the Mavs can't defend the Suns, then we're not a good defensive team. Avery needs to make them play to our game if we meet in the playoffs, not vice versa. The whole point of our new defense should be focused on stopping Detroit, SA, Phoenix.

Captain Disaster
02-23-2006, 03:39 PM
Marion usually gives Dirk a battle, and we haven't had a great answer for Amare. We need to put this demon to rest just like the Laker demon.

Murphy3
02-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Well, Dirk did have a pretty good series against Marion....

dirt_dobber
02-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Report: Stoudemire cleared for five-on-five play

ESPN.com news services
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2347772

Amare Stoudemire's knee continues to improve.

The Phoenix Suns forward has been cleared for five-on-five practice, The Arizona Republic reported in Tuesday's editions.

"I felt really good with the one-on-ones, and it's not going to change anything if I skip some steps, so I might as well get in five-on-five practices," Stoudemire told the newspaper. "My main thing is to make sure I'm healthy. Personally, I feel pretty good. I'm not choosing this on behalf of anyone else's injury."

Stoudemire underwent microfracture surgery Oct. 11 after knee soreness that surfaced during the offseason worsened during the first week of training camp.

The best-case scenario has him returning in March, something he said might be possible.

"That sounds close if everything keeps progressing," Stoudemire told the Republic.

MavKikiNYC
02-28-2006, 06:16 PM
....and it's not going to change anything if I skip some steps....

Famous last words.

kriD
03-13-2006, 07:32 AM
Stoudemire sounds down on returning this season

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic

PORTLAND, Ore. - When Amaré Stoudemire comes back, when Amaré Stoudemire comes back, when Amaré Stoudemire comes back . . .

It's been the favorite phrase in NBA hypotheses involving the Suns this season, but maybe the more appropriate thing to say, based on the outlook Stoudemire gave Sunday, is if Amaré Stoudemire comes back.

"It's still 50-50," Stoudemire said, sounding more discouraged than at any point of his rehabilitation process from an October microfracture procedure on his left knee.

"If I'm not ready, then I'm not ready. Right now, I'm not ready."

His shaken confidence comes from a problem in his right knee, where a fluid buildup behind the kneecap has stunted his comeback for the past two weeks.

He has considered not coming back at all this season more than ever in the past week, he said, "because every time I play ball one day, the next day I feel a lot of pain, a lot of discomfort" in the right knee.

"I figured I'd be ready by now," Stoudemire said. "My right knee is hurting more than my left. I think it's just from overcompensating - a little fluid buildup that's in there. I'm just trying to get that out and get back. Once I get the rest and the treatment, it goes away. Then I have three strong days and it comes back. I haven't played a five-on-five game yet so I haven't put it to the test."

After Phoenix's 111-101 loss to Portland, Suns head athletic trainer Aaron Nelson said Stoudemire's right knee had improved after two days of rest.

Stoudemire said he has had a "rough" time since playing full- and half-court games of three-on-three on Friday. On a scale from 1 to 10, he said he reaches a peak of eight only to go back down to a five.

"I had four real good days back to back to back to back, but after that, my right knee became real stiff and at times it's kind of rough to get around," he said.

Stoudemire said he underwent a magnetic resonance imaging test that showed only buildup and the normal wear and tear of an NBA player.

He was cleared to play by the Suns medical staff, leaving the onus on Stoudemire to decide when he feels he is able to play games.

"I'm medically cleared as far as the healing process and as far as everything healing up correctly, but as far as pain level and discomfort level in my mind, I'm not really cleared yet," said Stoudemire, who said his right knee feels tight and stiff and hurts when his leg is extended.

"If it was up to my left knee right now, I probably would've played last week."

Stoudemire said he still feels he has two weeks to a month to come back. He said he will not make a sudden day-of-game decision to return but will wait until he has four to six consecutive days of "feeling great."

For Stoudemire, that means more than just dunking and getting his vertical leap back to where it was. It means being able to stop on a dime, hit his jump shot and run without conditioning problems.

Carolina Blue
03-13-2006, 07:40 AM
Marc Stein wrote about it in his Weekend Dime...seems like they're gonna do whatever they can to protect their $70 mil investment even if it means waiting 'til next year...

Milles
03-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Sounds like Amare could be back tomorrow.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0322suns.html

Stoudemire set to return
Says he's 80 percent sure he'll play Thursday

Doug Haller
The Arizona Republic
March 22, 2006

Suns forward Amaré Stoudemire could be back in action as quickly as Thursday night.

The All-Star big man, out since left knee surgery in October, said the chances were “80-20” that he’d play Thursday night when the Suns host the Portland Trail Blazers at U.S. Airways Center.

Stoudemire said today was the best he’d felt since the microfracture surgery and that, barring any swelling in his recently troublesome right knee on Thursday morning, he was hopeful that he’d be on the court vs. the Trail Blazers.

“If I wake up feeling good tomorrow, then it’s possible I’ll play,’’ Stoudemire said. “I tell you what, it’s been a long process, it’s been a long time coming. I just can’t wait to step foot back on that Phoenix logo.”

Coach Mike D’Antoni said Stoudemire would play when he’s ready to play, deflecting questions on the specifics of Thursday night.

NXperience
03-22-2006, 07:01 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AjQDzCjNVabrWosm6iweGwK8vLYF?slug=sunsst oudemire&prov=st&type=lgns

Suns F-C Stoudemire could return Thursday
March 22, 2006

PHOENIX (Ticker) - The long-awaited return of Phoenix Suns star center Amare Stoudemire could be Thursday night.

Stoudemire said Wednesday that there is an 80 percent chance of his being in uniform when the Suns host the Portland Trail Blazers on Thursday.

The team's website reported that Stoudemire participated in 5-on-5 drills for the third straight day Wednesday and was put on the club's active roster.

ESPN.com reported that Stoudemire will play Thursday.

Sidelined since October after undergoing microfracture surgery on his left knee in October, Stoudemire was uncertain about returning this season as recently as last week.

After a discussion with Suns CEO Jerry Colangelo and five straight days of practice, the 2005 All-Star may finally be ready to go.

The addition of Stoudemire would be a phenomenal lift for the Suns, who already are en route to their second straight Pacific Division title with a 45-21 record but could use a boost in anticipation of potential postseason showdowns with San Antonio or Dallas, the top teams in the Western Conference.

Last season, the 6-10 Stoudemire was fifth in the NBA in scoring at 26 points per game and second in shooting at 56 percent. He also averaged 8.9 rebounds and 1.6 blocks.

In early October, the Suns signed Stoudemire, 23, to a five-year, $73 million contract extension. Shortley thereafter, they discovered that their star big man had a joint surface defect in his left knee that required microfracture surgery.

The procedure is followed by long-term rehabilitation that has set back other star players such as Chris Webber and Allan Houston. Stoudemire initially was pegged to return in February, but the timetable was pushed back to March.

Upon resuming workouts, Stoudemire experienced swelling in the knee. Given the team's strong play without him and the concern over his long-term future, consideration was given to having Stoudemire sit out the entire season.

That would have been welcome news for rival teams as Stoudemire has gotten better in every season since the Suns selected him ninth overall out of high school in the 2002 draft.

Stoudemire was the 2003 Rookie of the Year, averaging 13.5 points and 8.8 rebounds. The following season, he improved to 20.6 points and 9.0 rebounds, overcoming an injury to win Rookie Challenge MVP honors at All-Star Weekend.

Without Stoudemire, Phoenix's top seven scorers this season are averaging career highs. Among them is All-Star point guard Steve Nash, who leads the NBA in assists and could win his second straight NBA MVP.

dude1394
03-22-2006, 07:11 PM
Good bring the sucka' back....

MavsFanFinley
03-22-2006, 07:25 PM
I look forward to his return. It should be interesting to see how he and his knee respond.

Thespiralgoeson
03-22-2006, 10:44 PM
I couldn't be happier. Now they won't have any excuses when the Mavs slap their bitch asses around in the WCF.

Drbio
03-23-2006, 12:25 AM
Amare told ESPN today that there is a 90% chance he will play in Portland.

bernardos70
03-23-2006, 12:33 AM
Does he have an LCD on the palm of his hand that tells him the percentage? 47% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I am curious to see how he's going to come back. Something tells me he'll never be the same.......

diop it like its hot
03-23-2006, 04:17 PM
According to NBA.com. Now I'm a lil worried boys and girls.

dirno2000
03-23-2006, 04:20 PM
Why?

diop it like its hot
03-23-2006, 04:21 PM
cuz we didnt have an answer for him last year

NXperience
03-23-2006, 04:26 PM
Let's see if he doesn't pull a Webber.

The Spurs had no one to stop him either ... and if I'm not mistaken it hasn't hurt them. ;)

dirno2000
03-23-2006, 04:28 PM
cuz we didnt have an answer for him last year

That was before microfracture surgury.

diop it like its hot
03-23-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm hope not too, but don't count dude out just yet.

NXperience
03-23-2006, 04:33 PM
I think nobody is counting him out but Amare is the one to proof that the surgery hasn't bothered him ... that's still to be shown.

chumdawg
03-23-2006, 04:47 PM
He may be back, but is he better than ever? Is he getting his cheddar?

dalmations202
03-23-2006, 04:51 PM
DJ, Diop, Powell ??

Not sure if any of them can guard him, but all of them are more fleet of foot than Damp, Bradley, and Henderson.

Also, Damp didn't do that bad of a job, at least not at times.

Drbio
03-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Around the NBA section maybe?

Or better yet, maybe in the Amare thread that is already there where this was already being discussed?

DubOverdose
03-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Why is this thread in the Mavs section. Amare does not concern the Mavs.

u2sarajevo
03-23-2006, 05:34 PM
I moved it and merged with existing thread.

NXperience
03-23-2006, 08:51 PM
Well Amare seems to be in shape ... well on the other hand he is plaing against Portland

Drbio
03-23-2006, 10:39 PM
He's looked pretty good from what I saw.

orangedays
03-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Well Amare seems to be in shape ... well on the other hand he is plaing against Portland

They gave us a run for our money ;).

Stoudemire finishes with 20 pts (7-14 FGM-A, 6-7 FTM-A), 9 rebs (5 of), 2 blks in 19 min.

orangedays
03-23-2006, 10:59 PM
He's looked pretty good from what I saw.

Just another body to step over. :)

orangedays
03-23-2006, 11:01 PM
On a related note...Victor Khryapa finishes with 22 pts (8-10 FGM-A) and 12 rebs? The Suns defense is absolutely awful.

rakesh.s
03-23-2006, 11:08 PM
Both teams shot right around 48%, and the suns won by ~20.. Steve Nash played 17 minutes. It says more about the efficiency of the Suns offense and their rebounding/2nd chance pts/pts off to's if both teams shot the same %.

chumdawg
03-23-2006, 11:20 PM
9 boards in 19 minutes? Please, Hammer, don't hurt 'em.

orangedays
03-23-2006, 11:31 PM
Both teams shot right around 48%, and the suns won by ~20.. Steve Nash played 17 minutes. It says more about the efficiency of the Suns offense and their rebounding/2nd chance pts/pts off to's if both teams shot the same %.

You meant 27 min. right? ;)

Well the Suns were out-rebounded 49-42...19-13 on the offensive boards. I don't think it had anything to do with their 'offensive efficiency' - the Suns just shot 30 3-pointers (making 13) to the Blazers' 13 (making 6). That's a difference of 21 points (or at the very least 7 assuming that the Blazers' made a 2 for every 3 the Suns made, which probably wasn't the case). Also, the Blazers just didn't take care of the ball - 20 TO's...that's just awful.

rakesh.s
03-23-2006, 11:37 PM
yahoo showed 17 mins..nba.com shows 27 mins. Weird.

You can't say the suns' d is bad, and then say the blazers didn't take care of the ball...Obviously, someone forced some turnovers. Something's gotta give..

orangedays
03-23-2006, 11:42 PM
yahoo showed 17 mins..nba.com shows 27 mins. Weird.

You can't say the suns' d is bad, and then say the blazers didn't take care of the ball...Obviously, someone forced some turnovers. Something's gotta give..

Ah...but you see I can.

Worst offenses in the NBA? At #30...dead last, the Portland Trailblazers.
Worst defenses in the NBA? At #25, the Phoenix Suns.

The Blazers force enough of their own turnovers, I mean...I'm sure that the Suns played their role tonight but I also don't think that they can take any credit for Portland's performance. That being said, my earlier comment about the Suns' awful D was with regards to Khryapa's breakout game.

orangedays
03-23-2006, 11:43 PM
Oh, btw...you can see where I got those figures here (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statistics?stat=teamstatoff&sort=pts&league=nba&avg=pg&split=999&order=false&season=2006&seasontype=2):

dirno2000
03-23-2006, 11:48 PM
He put up good numbers but they were easy numbers. He played the game below the rim. It will be interesting to see if he can pick it up when the intensity level is a little higher.

Milles
03-23-2006, 11:52 PM
One thing I noticed, the Suns took more FT's than Portland. I think the Suns are last in league in getting to the FT line, so Amare helps in that respect.

chumdawg
03-24-2006, 12:11 AM
C'mon, the Suns aren't 25th in defense. Please don't tell me you are going on points allowed. How do they rank in points per possession? Halfway through the season they were top five...

orangedays
03-24-2006, 12:16 AM
C'mon, the Suns aren't 25th in defense. Please don't tell me you are going on points allowed. How do they rank in points per possession? Halfway through the season they were top five...

Ah, caught me. Forgot about the up-and-down offense.

They allow 105 ppts (points per 100 possessions). Mavs allow 104. Blazers 111.

I doubt they're #5 still.

orangedays
03-24-2006, 12:17 AM
Spurs 99, Pistons 103, Memphis 102, Warriors 106...etc. etc...from 82games.com

dirno2000
03-24-2006, 12:37 AM
Last time I checked they were 10th or 11th. They were #1 back in early December and have been slowly dropping since then.

Thespiralgoeson
03-24-2006, 12:41 AM
No stat you show me could possibly convince me that the Suns aren't a bad defensive team. I wouldn't say that they're the worst in the league by any means, but they are pretty bad.

Dirkenstien
03-24-2006, 12:05 PM
The fact is that all of the players on the Suns are aware that their style of basketball will pad their stats dramatically. Thus, in order to take advantage of this rare opportunity and help them land big contracts that would probably be very unlikely otherwise (ala Q-Rich and Joe Johnson) they must not foul on the defensive end so that they can stay on the court and get a piece of the pie on the offensive end. This is why you see so many easy lay-up drills against the Suns when you watch them play.

orangedays
03-24-2006, 04:23 PM
I don't disagree with you, but technically Q-Rich got his contract before he started playing with the Suns (he signed as a free agent from the Clips in the 2004 off-season).

Dirkenstien
03-25-2006, 08:53 PM
I don't disagree with you, but technically Q-Rich got his contract before he started playing with the Suns (he signed as a free agent from the Clips in the 2004 off-season).

Thanks for the info Orangedays; I should have remembered that but completely forgot.

Thespiralgoeson
03-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Oh sweet lord, if the Mavs beat the Spurs, it's going to be soooooooo heavenly to watch them kick the ever-loving sh*t out of the Suns. Really, it will just be downright sublime.

MavKikiNYC
03-25-2006, 10:55 PM
Tougher line for the A-Train tonight, after the big numbers in his first game back. Amazing how often you see a player come in and put up big numbers on little more than adrenaline--Tim Thomas and Qyntel Woods come to mind this year.

A. Stoudemire (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/amare_stoudemire/index.html) F 16:38 2-7 0-0 2-2 1 4 5 2 0 0 0 1 6

Still wonder to what extent he'll be able to come back, and the timetable for it. Both Webber and Kidd look productive again, though neither is dominant.

Don't think it will be this year for Stoudemire.

dirno2000
03-25-2006, 10:59 PM
Amazing how often you see a player come in and put up big numbers on little more than adrenaline

I watched most of the first half and it wasn't just adrenaline, it was Portland.

He now plays the game below the rim. plus it looks like he's coasting.

Thespiralgoeson
03-25-2006, 11:43 PM
Apparently his knee was quite sore on friday. Looks like they're keeping his minutes to a minimum, which is good. I don't think he'll be ready for much more than 15-20 minutes a game this season.

MavKikiNYC
03-26-2006, 09:47 AM
In knee deep
Amare's comeback doesn't have Sunny precedent

http://www.nydailynews.com/ips_rich_content/362-soutdemire_amare.JPG Amare Stoudemire
Amare Stoudemire's return to the Phoenix Suns is being closely watched, and not just from a basketball standpoint. Several others players who have undergone the same "mircofracture" knee surgery haven't come close to regaining their previous form. The list includes Jason Kidd, Allan Houston, Kerry Kittles, Chris Webber and Penny Hardaway. Of the five, only Kidd and Webber are still playing, with varying degrees of success. Kidd clearly isn't what he used to be on a nightly basis, but he's still a top player. In most games, though, Webber can hardly get off the floor.
"You have to be really careful with this type of surgery," said Hardaway, one of the first players to have the procedure, in May, 2000. "You really have to give the procedure a chance to work and for the knee to heal. If you don't, you're asking for trouble."
Stoudemire gave it five months to heal and the initial results were impressive. In his season debut Thursday against Portland, he collected 20 points and nine boards in only 19 minutes. But the Suns still have four sets of back-to-back games, including tomorrow at the Meadowlands against the Nets and Tuesday in Milwaukee, and nobody really knows how the young star will respond over the long run.
The Suns' doctors maintain that Stoudemire has a good chance to continue to be a dominant player. They point to several factors: He's still young (23), the lesion removed was less than one centimeter in diamater, the location was non-threatening to the knee and the knee is in a non-arthritic state.
But Denver's Kenyon Martin has been struggling all season after having microfracture surgery. Perhaps that's why Martin's coach, George Karl, sounded a strong note of caution when considering Stoudemire's impact down the stretch.
"I don't think he's ever going to be the dominant player he was in the playoffs last year," Karl said. "That would be a high compliment to him. My gut says he's going to have similar problems with knee soreness, swelling. But maybe not. A part of growing and healing is genetic."

Murphy3
03-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Hey, if you have a chance to 'accidentally' kick him in the knee....go for it.

Dirkenstien
03-26-2006, 12:13 PM
I just have a feeling he is going to try to push too hard and mess something up again. He relies too much on athleticism...I don't think his knees will hold up. Anyhow, if Pheonix wants to gamble then let them because we win both ways. Either he re-hurts himself and sits out again or he comes back and we still woop them in the playoffs.

Dirkenstien
03-26-2006, 12:15 PM
Hey, if you have a chance to 'accidentally' kick him in the knee....go for it.

M'Benga's blackbelt may finally come in handy.

Milles
03-26-2006, 01:31 PM
Sounds as though they will continue to limit his minutes.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0326sunsnb0326.html

Stoudemire to be limited on trip

Paul Coro and Doug Haller
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 26, 2006 12:00 AM

Amaré Stoudemire's minutes could gradually increase after the coming weeklong road trip.

Come playoff time, the key will be deciphering whether Stoudemire is at a level to be featured like last season or somewhere shy of that.

"He doesn't have to be the No. 1 guy, the No. 2 guy or the No. 3 guy," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. "He just has to be one of the top eight guys."

Suns trainer Aaron Nelson said Stoudemire will be limited to 20-22 minutes each game in the road back-to-back sets - Monday and Tuesday at New Jersey and Milwaukee, and then Thursday and Friday at Indiana and Toronto. His minutes could then gradually increase, starting with next Sunday's game in Detroit.

"There's a point in (every NBA season when) talent stops being important and chemistry and character become more important, and I think Phoenix is probably in that stretch," Denver coach George Karl said. "It's a situation that's got to be handled and probably once it's handled you're happy about it. There's some growing pains to it. There might be a loss that you might not have had, but in the same sense he might win a playoff game that the (team) would've lost."

Stoudemire told Nelson his knees felt better Saturday morning than Friday, when he had some muscle stiffness.

birdsanctuary
03-26-2006, 01:35 PM
Stoudemire appears to have lost his explosiveness around the basket...

The Crippler
03-26-2006, 04:53 PM
I watched most of the first half and it wasn't just adrenaline, it was Portland.

He now plays the game below the rim. plus it looks like he's coasting.

yep, he looks like your everyday, run of the mill, PF right now. Plus, he is a absolutely horrible defender. He better really work on his jumpshot now. Not to say that he won't get it back, which he might, but it couldn't have happened to a better guy. Black Jesus, please...you look pretty mortal now...

Milles
03-28-2006, 02:55 PM
The Suns are shutting Amare down for a while.

Stoudemire shut down
Jack McCallum, SI.com

Jack Mccallum
SI.com

If the Phoenix Suns are going to win an NBA championship this season -- and that is their stated goal -- they will most likely have to do it without star frontcourtman Amare' Stoudemire.

Stoudemire's comeback from surgery on his left knee lasted only three games before the Suns decided to shut him down, "maybe for three days, maybe for 10 days, maybe for the rest of the season," according to coach/general manager Mike D'Antoni.

The best guess? The rest of the season.

D'Antoni made the decision hours after the Suns' most disappointing loss of the season, a 110-72 torching by the New Jersey Nets on Monday night at Continental Airlines Arena. Stoudemire started that game but played only 14 minutes (missing all six of his shots from the floor) and was obviously at no more than 30 percent efficiency. He jogged up and down the court, had very little lift and even winced from time to time when he landed.

"It's mostly stiffness but I have some pain, too," said Stoudemire on Tuesday morning from Milwaukee, where the Suns, 47-22 and still the odds-on favorite to win the Pacific Division, are scheduled to play the Bucks this evening. "I felt like I was improving -- that's why I came back -- but then the knee just started getting tighter and tighter. It felt like I was going to pull something all the time."

Stoudemire had surgery on Oct. 11, during the preseason, to repair a microfracture (about one centimeter wide) on his left knee. That was about a week after he had signed a five-year extension worth about $73 million. Dr. Tom Carter, the Suns' team physician, compared the lesion to a "pothole," which Carter said would get bigger and become harder to treat as time passed. Carter used a surgical awl to poke five shallow holes around the lesion, three millimeters apart, to facilitate the bleeding that will harden and form the "fibrocartilage" that will fill in the tiny hole.

The Suns heard no dearth of dire reminders about other players (Chris Webber, Penny Hardaway, Kenyon Martin to name three) whose careers had been thwarted by similar surgeries. But the plan all along was to get Stoudemire back for this season, provided there were no extenuating circumstances; the initial projection was for Stoudemire to come back "around the All-Star Game" in February. Carter said comparisons to other injuries were meaningless, considering Stoudemire's age (he's just 23) and the fact that his knee was in otherwise ideal condition.

Stoudemire rehabbed with trainer Aaron Harris and began limited oncourt workouts in January. His surgically repaired knee started to come around, but he began to experience stiffness and fluid buildup on his right knee, probably from overcompensation, and his comeback was pushed to "sometime in March." He would have one good practice, then not be able to go the following day. It was a roller-coaster ride that continued into the second week of March. Finally, after three straight days of work without much pain or swelling in either knee, the man the Suns call STAT (for "Stand Tall and Talented," the slogan Stoudemire gave to himself as a teenager), declared himself ready for a home game against the Portland Trail Blazers on March 23.

D'Antoni decided to start him but monitor his minutes and Stoudemire had 20 points in 19 minutes as the Suns breezed to a 125-108 victory. Suns fans began licking their chops: We were already the third-best team in the Western Conference, probably the fourth-best team in the NBA, without him. How good are we now?

But coaches, teammates and the Suns' medical staff weren't so confident, seeing the extent to which Stoudemire's mobility was limited (on many nights, a player of Stoudemire's talent needs only to be about 60 percent to dominate the Trail Blazers.) He started two nights later against Denver in a 107-96 loss and looked stiffer and slower. And the game against New Jersey, the start of a week-long road trip that ends on Sunday in a showdown against the Detroit Pistons at the Palace of Auburn Hills, convinced D'Antoni, the Suns' medical staff and Stoudemire himself that he wasn't ready.

"As a coach you always want your best players back," says D'Antoni. "But I had to put on my general manager's hat, too. We have a lot invested in Amare' and we want him around for a long time. He'll be practicing, doing mostly one-on-one stuff. So we'll see. But he won't come back before he's ready."

For his part, Stoudemire concedes that he's disappointed. "I wanted to come back, help us win a championship this year," he says. "And maybe I still will. But I gotta get this thing right."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A ... ;type=lgns

endtroducing MASKED
03-28-2006, 02:58 PM
BRIAN GRANT TIME~!

MavKikiNYC
03-28-2006, 03:29 PM
This makes sense. No reason to flush the Suns' playoff chances down the toilet by trying to force Stoudemire back when he isn't ready and won't be anytime soon.

mary
03-28-2006, 03:35 PM
I agree. It should be more important to the Suns that Amare be able play next year...and the year after that...and the year after that..and the year after that...(almost there) and the year after that...(one more) and the year after that (whew!).

Thank goodness for guaranteed max contracts, heh?

chumdawg
03-29-2006, 12:02 AM
Evidently he's done for the year.

Drbio
03-29-2006, 12:14 AM
F' em. F'em all.

TripleDipping
03-29-2006, 11:22 AM
Evidently he's done for the year.

No doubt... but I'm thinking he might be done for the next as well.