PDA

View Full Version : Suns acquire Tskitishvili

MavsFanFinley
01-26-2006, 11:37 PM
Phoenix gives up draft pick for forward

January 26, 2006

PHOENIX (AP) -- The Phoenix Suns acquired 7-footer Nikoloz Tskitishvili from the Minnesota Timberwolves on Thursday for a 2006 second-round draft pick.

The move reunites Tskitishvili with Suns coach Mike D'Antoni, who coached him with Benetton Treviso of the Italian league in 2001-02.

"If there is an ideal coach and ideal system for Skita to do well, it's here in Phoenix," Suns president Bryan Colangelo said.

Tskitishvili has averaged 3.0 points, 1.8 rebounds and 11.6 minutes in 160 NBA games with Denver, Golden State and Minnesota, where he got into just five games this season.

He appeared in 35 games last season with the Nuggets and Warriors, who acquired him and Rodney White in a trade with Denver on Feb. 24, giving up Eduardo Najera, Luis Flores and a 2007 draft pick.

Tskitishvili, 22, had two professional seasons with KK Slovan of Slovenia under his belt when he played 11 games for Benetton as an 18-year-old Italian league rookie.

He averaged only 6.6 points but made 73 percent of his 2-point field goal attempts, prompting the Nuggets to draft him No. 5 in the June 2002 draft -- four spots before Phoenix selected All-Star Amare Stoudemire.

Tskitishvili signed as a free agent with the Timberwolves on Aug. 9.

4cwebb
01-27-2006, 01:35 AM
What, no link to a Chad Ford article about how Tskita will finally flourish now that he's in the right system?

Thespiralgoeson
01-27-2006, 01:58 AM
Tskitishvilli... Has there ever been such a young seven footer with so little potential?

Nash13
01-27-2006, 02:28 AM
In all seriousness, is there any bigger enigma in the NBA than Tskitishvili? I mean the guy's been drafted in hopes to at best mock the best Euro in the league, but has flopped. He's been signed and released because of his potential. He's becoming a journeyman like many others in the league. He's had his bad moments with team officials and coach. He's demanded trades even though he's not that good.

He maybe the very definition of the average NBA player.

Thespiralgoeson
01-27-2006, 02:57 AM
I think Rasheed Wallace is at least as big an enigma.

atrewsfan
01-27-2006, 09:27 AM
In all seriousness, is there any bigger enigma in the NBA than Tskitishvili? I mean the guy's been drafted in hopes to at best mock the best Euro in the league, but has flopped. He's been signed and released because of his potential. He's becoming a journeyman like many others in the league. He's had his bad moments with team officials and coach. He's demanded trades even though he's not that good.

He maybe the very definition of the average NBA player.

Weren't people comparing him to Dirk when he was drafted? Soft hands, good shot, decent passer, mobile for a tall guy, etc. Now it's like he's an older version of Darko Milicic...

wunderkind03
01-27-2006, 09:43 AM
Weren't people comparing him to Dirk when he was drafted? Soft hands, good shot, decent passer, mobile for a tall guy, etc. Now it's like he's an older version of Darko Milicic...

yeah. maybe the suns are hoping he can be at least one third of what dirk nowitzki is ;) based on the history nash had with dirk, maybe they're trying to find someone to fit that nowitzki mold to give them an extra punch. they might want to have a line up of:

amare
dirk ultra lite
marion
bell
nash

suns can go ahead and dream :p

aexchange
01-27-2006, 11:06 AM
tskiti is more of an enema than an enigma.

he's played like a total piece of crap so far. wasn't this guy supposed to be the next dirk? what a joke that's turned out to be.

tskiti, lampe...all the next dirk's. LMFAO.

Nash13
01-27-2006, 11:34 AM
tskiti is more of an enema than an enigma.

he's played like a total piece of crap so far. wasn't this guy supposed to be the next dirk? what a joke that's turned out to be.

tskiti, lampe...all the next dirk's. LMFAO.

And i remember the 2003 draft thread where a certain someobody was saying since before the draft started (me) that we should get Josh Howard if he's still available, and everybody else wanted Lampe.

But in all fairness, Lampe never really got a chance to prove himself. He was buried on PHX, and NY, and New Orleans. And plus he's had some injury problems. I still don't think he'll amount to anything though.

Nash13
01-27-2006, 11:37 AM

Tskita in particular has given a bad rep to young euro players wanting to enter the draft. If it wasn't for him, and maybe Darko and Lampe, Pavel would've gotten a higher pick.

HexNBA
01-27-2006, 12:18 PM
Honestly I wouldnt be surprised at all if he turned out halfway decent in Phoenix. It seems most teams wanted him to be a low post guy, I could totally see D'Antoni allowing him to play the perimeter jacking up three pointers.

MavKikiNYC
01-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Honestly I wouldnt be surprised at all if he turned out halfway decent in Phoenix. It seems most teams wanted him to be a low post guy, I could totally see D'Antoni allowing him to play the perimeter jacking up three pointers.
Could help him to play with a PG like Nash too, who'll make it a point to get him the ball in easy scoring position.

Probably his last change though.

RE Darko: I still don't get the situation with Darko--when I see him play, he doesn't move like a stiff. His MOVEMENT makes him look like he has potential. He has more fluid movement, in fact, than Dirk. Decent shot mechanics.

I wonder if having to play under Larry Brown to start his career may have stunted his development. For all his reputation, Brown has a noted stubborn streak along with a noted tendency to change his mind a lot along with a noted negative prejudice against international players.

Brown has gotten a lot of praise for bringing Frye, Robinson and Lee along, but in fact those players have been up and down and up and down all year. Frye has fallen off considerably in recent games. Robinson is as erratic as ever, Lee is rumored to be trade bait, and Trevor Ariza appears to be traumatized to inaction. Brown has thrown them all from starting lineup to inactive list at times.

A couple of weeks ago Barkley and John Thompson dismissively labelled Darko as a Can-Not-Play. Barkley made what sounded like an interesting point at the time saying that if Darko was playing against Ben and Rasheed Wallace in practice for two years and didn't show any improvement, then you basically had to wonder if there was anything there to start with. Except, wasn't that basically what happened with Jermaine O'Neal in Portland? He played behind Wallace in Portland for a couple of years without showing much at all. Portland finally gave up on him, he moved to Indiana where he got playing time and suddenly became an All-Star.

Darko needs to be somewhere where he can get minutes. He probably won't be a Dirk, but he needs more of an opportunity than what he's gotten so far.

Thespiralgoeson
01-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Could help him to play with a PG like Nash too, who'll make it a point to get him the ball in easy scoring position.

Probably his last change though.

RE Darko: I still don't get the situation with Darko--when I see him play, he doesn't move like a stiff. His MOVEMENT makes him look like he has potential. He has more fluid movement, in fact, than Dirk. Decent shot mechanics.

I wonder if having to play under Larry Brown to start his career may have stunted his development. For all his reputation, Brown has a noted stubborn streak along with a noted tendency to change his mind a lot along with a noted negative prejudice against international players.

Brown has gotten a lot of praise for bringing Frye, Robinson and Lee along, but in fact those players have been up and down and up and down all year. Frye has fallen off considerably in recent games. Robinson is as erratic as ever, Lee is rumored to be trade bait, and Trevor Ariza appears to be traumatized to inaction. Brown has thrown them all from starting lineup to inactive list at times.

A couple of weeks ago Barkley and John Thompson dismissively labelled Darko as a Can-Not-Play. Barkley made what sounded like an interesting point at the time saying that if Darko was playing against Ben and Rasheed Wallace in practice for two years and didn't show any improvement, then you basically had to wonder if there was anything there to start with. Except, wasn't that basically what happened with Jermaine O'Neal in Portland? He played behind Wallace in Portland for a couple of years without showing much at all. Portland finally gave up on him, he moved to Indiana where he got playing time and suddenly became an All-Star.

Darko needs to be somewhere where he can get minutes. He probably won't be a Dirk, but he needs more of an opportunity than what he's gotten so far.

I totally agree. When you look at that '03 draft, sure, Darko looks like a complete bust next to the likes of LeBron, Carmelo, Wade, and Bosh, but ALL of those guys went to awful teams where they were immediately not only put into the starting lineup, but were the number 1 scoring options. Darko needs to go to a bad team like Charlotte, and I'm sure he'll flourish. I've seen the way Darko moves, not to mention his shooting range. The kid's got serious potential. I mean, c'mon, he's only 20. He came into the league at 18 with virtually no experience. He's gonna be a terrific player, but not in Detroit.

4cwebb
01-30-2006, 03:31 AM
Darko needs to be in a Kings' uniform by Feb. 23. Then you'll see him get the time he needs to develop as he'd be the only member of the team that can challenge opposing players at the rim with his size and athleticism. Don't know who the Kings give to the Pistons to get him, though? Lottery pick this year?

I haven't even checked a box score for the Suns since they acquired Tskita. Has he gotten any time?

MFFL
01-30-2006, 09:28 AM
I haven't even checked a box score for the Suns since they acquired Tskita. Has he gotten any time?

One game - did not get off the bench

sike
01-30-2006, 09:56 AM
Tskitishvilli... Has there ever been such a young seven footer with so little potential?
genius.

Milles
01-30-2006, 01:43 PM
• Newly acquired Nikoloz Tskitishvili will remain in Phoenix to finish his physical Monday and meet the team when it returns from the trip, which ends Wednesday in Boston. He is expected to be out one to two weeks with a foot strain.

Thespiralgoeson
01-30-2006, 08:12 PM
• Newly acquired Nikoloz Tskitishvili will remain in Phoenix to finish his physical Monday and meet the team when it returns from the trip, which ends Wednesday in Boston. He is expected to be out one to two weeks with a foot strain.

How the hell did Tskitishvili get injured? What, did he fall off the bench?

MavKikiNYC
10-27-2006, 01:33 PM
Knicks Sign Cato, Waive Four Players
http://hosted.ap.org/icons/spacer.gif
http://hosted.ap.org/icons/spacer.gif NEW YORK (AP) -- The New York Knicks signed veteran center Kelvin Cato on Wednesday and waived four players, trimming the roster to 15.

The Knicks also exercised third-year options on Channing Frye, Nate Robinson and David Lee.

Cato finished last season with Detroit after he was dealt in the trade for Darko Milicic in February. The 32-year-old center played for four teams in his nine-year career, averaging 5.6 points and 5.4 rebounds.

Nikoloz Tskitishvili, the fifth overall pick in the 2002 draft, was waived along with Elton Brown, Milone Clark and Paul Miller.

TripleDipping
10-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Reminds me that the 2002 draft was pretty weak.