PDA

View Full Version : Steven Hunter traded to the Hornets

dirno2000
02-01-2006, 03:14 PM
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) The Philadelphia 76ers traded center Steven Hunter to the New Orleans Hornets on Wednesday for two second-round draft picks.

It's the Hornets' second trade in a 24-hour span in an attempt to reinforce their front line following the dismissal of forward Chris Andersen last week for violating the NBA's drug policy.

"We were real small," coach Byron Scott said at the team's shootaround. "We've gotten bigger in a matter of minutes."

Hunter, a 7-footer, is averaging 4.9 points and 3.4 rebounds in 35 games with the 76ers this season. A first-round pick by Orlando in 2001, he played three seasons with the Magic and one with Phoenix before signing with Philadelphia as a free agent before this season.

"We're excited. We bring in another athlete, a 7-foot athlete, 24 years old who runs and jumps and does a lot of the things that we want here," Scott said. "I think he'll fit in extremely well."

The Hornets are giving up their 2006 and 2007 second-round picks and will also receive cash considerations from Philadelphia. On Tuesday, the Hornets acquired Aaron Williams from Toronto for their other 2006 second-round pick and a 2009 second rounder. Williams is expected to be in uniform for New Orleans' game against Chicago on Wednesday night.

The Hornets have two first-round picks in this year's draft, including one they received from Milwaukee when they swapped Jamaal Magloire for Desmond Mason in the preseason.

"We were able to get a young center that we feel is going to get much better and better, that's shown improvement," Scott said. "He had his best year in Phoenix playing the type of basketball that we play. And then we got a veteran in Aaron Williams. We've still got our first-round picks."

Unlike Williams, who played for Scott in New Jersey for more than three seasons, Hunter may take longer to fit in.

"There'll be an adjustment for Steven because this is an offense that he hasn't done," Scott said. "But again, once we get him in, we'll go over it every single day with him just to try to get him as comfortable as possible. ... I don't think it'll take him real long because one thing that we do a lot of is repetition on our offense."

Nash13
02-01-2006, 03:27 PM
After getting chewed out by AI and Cheeks about not putting in effort or rebounding, he assumes the role of birdman, his white twin.

It's a wash for New Orleans. Shows you how much Philly thought of Hunter.

Drbio
02-01-2006, 05:10 PM
I think it is a good move for hte Hornets.

alby
02-01-2006, 05:56 PM
agreed

jthig32
02-01-2006, 06:06 PM
I dunno, I don't get it. They lose birdman, so they trade their next 4 second round picks for two very average big men???

Drbio
02-01-2006, 06:25 PM
How have their second rounders faired in the past? Maybe they felt that proven NBA guys are more valuable than a second round pick.

I like the Hunter move....not so sure about Williams. Remember though....they are a short team and this captures over 14 feet in players.

snoop
02-01-2006, 06:27 PM
we are so lucky to have diop instead of hunter

Drbio
02-01-2006, 06:31 PM
we are so lucky to have diop instead of hunter

I don't disagree snoop. But for a team like the Hornets, they need some height.

dirno2000
02-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Obviously the Hornets think they have a shot at that 8th spot in the West and they know that running Pj Brown out there at center night in and night out wasn't going to get it done.

Looks like they're going to use our center by committee model.

Donnie and Avery look like geniuses for passing on Hunter to sign Diop. Not only does Diop block shots at a high rate (which is about the only thing Hunter does), he'll mix in a couple of rebounds.

MavsFanFinley
02-01-2006, 07:28 PM
I think it is a good move for hte Hornets.

I think so too.

I posted in the other thread that I think GS or Minnesota make a run for the final playoff spot but these moves help the Hornets stay in the running.

Nash13
02-01-2006, 11:19 PM
I don't disagree snoop. But for a team like the Hornets, they need some height.

Can somebody explain to me which genius decided to trade Magloire for Desmond Mason?

chumdawg
02-02-2006, 12:16 AM
Obviously the Hornets think they have a shot at that 8th spot in the West and they know that running Pj Brown out there at center night in and night out wasn't going to get it done.

Looks like they're going to use our center by committee model.

Donnie and Avery look like geniuses for passing on Hunter to sign Diop. Not only does Diop block shots at a high rate (which is about the only thing Hunter does), he'll mix in a couple of rebounds.I'm really happy with Diop. But I'll repeat something I've said before: I can't with any certainty that Hunter wouldn't be doing every bit as well as Diop is, if he was the guy on this team.

Situation and circumstance are so, so important.

dirno2000
02-02-2006, 12:25 AM
I'm really happy with Diop. But I'll repeat something I've said before: I can't with any certainty that Hunter wouldn't be doing every bit as well as Diop is, if he was the guy on this team.

Situation and circumstance are so, so important.

Yea, I think we can be pretty sure. I've seen enough of Hunter to conclude that he's a poor rebounder. I doubt that'll change.

Nellie used to say that you're either a good rebounder our you're not. You rarely see bad rebounders turn it around (Dirk being the exception).

disagree with me but you can't disagree with your leader...

jthig32
02-02-2006, 07:51 AM
disagree with me but you can't disagree with your leader...

That made me snort my yogurt...GENIOUS.

jthig32
02-02-2006, 07:52 AM
How have their second rounders faired in the past? Maybe they felt that proven NBA guys are more valuable than a second round pick.

I like the Hunter move....not so sure about Williams. Remember though....they are a short team and this captures over 14 feet in players.

Yeah, I guess I should have stated that it's the combination of the two moves that puzzles me. The Hunter deal alone is a good deal I think, but when combined with Williams it makes me scratch my head, that's all.

MavKikiNYC
02-02-2006, 10:46 AM
Aaron Williams played for Scott in NJ. He was a tough, high-energy player who pretty much managed to stay within his game. Never managed to develop into starter material, but he was a productive contributor off the bench. He's fallen off the radar for the last couple of years up in Toronto.

My guess is that Scott sees him as a veteran role player who he he's already familiar with.

Two second-rounders, one of which is a couple of years away, is probably not a bad price for him.

sike
02-02-2006, 01:14 PM
looks like Hunter made quite the impression...