PDA

View Full Version : Perimeter defensive rules

dude1394
02-05-2006, 04:21 PM
I've read that there have been rules changes on the perimeter.

1. No more hand checking. Does that mean you can't put your hand on a "perimeter" player at all? Or cannot impede there progress?

2. How is the "perimeter" defined? When can the single forearm be used on a player?

3. What about a player like dirk who is playing on the perimeter? Is he considered a perimeter player as well? Or is there some sort of position/side/etc. associated with it.

I'll have to look at how dirk is covered and fouls called, it seems that he gets bumped driving but I'll have to pay more attention.

Is there a link somewhere that explains it? I've heard Ortegal try.

Murphy3
02-05-2006, 07:55 PM
If Dirk is playing on the perimeter, the rules that normally apply to guards no longer apply. He's treated on the perimeter as if he's on the inside... Yet, guards on the inside are not treated as if they are PF's or centers.

The league wants players such as Kobe, VC, AI, Wade, etc to be the face of their league. So, the rules are called to benefit them. It's all about marketing.

alby
02-05-2006, 08:20 PM
its true

chumdawg
02-06-2006, 01:32 AM
Respectfully disagree. The rules say that you can place your hand on a player--any player--but that you cannot make an arm bar on a perimter player. So the minute you make an arm bar on a perimeter player, you are in violation of the rules.

As far as I know, the rule does not have an exception clause for Dirk Nowitzki written in.

As for how the league defines "perimeter," I would think it extends outside of the elbow down to the low blocks.

Whatever fouls have not been called on Dirk, trust me, they don't have anything to do with this rule.

dude1394
02-06-2006, 07:07 AM
Whatever fouls have not been called on Dirk, trust me, they don't have anything to do with this rule.

How come?

mary
02-06-2006, 07:20 AM
Didn't Dirk get a "perimeter" foul called for him in the last T-Pup game (at the end, against KG) - I could be wrong.

In addition to the arm bar...its a foul to put BOTH hands on the perimeter guy...is that correct?

Murphy3
02-06-2006, 10:16 AM
Respectfully disagree. The rules say that you can place your hand on a player--any player--but that you cannot make an arm bar on a perimter player. So the minute you make an arm bar on a perimeter player, you are in violation of the rules.

As far as I know, the rule does not have an exception clause for Dirk Nowitzki written in.

As for how the league defines "perimeter," I would think it extends outside of the elbow down to the low blocks.

I don't think that the not calling of the same fouls the same way has anything to do with it being Dirk. It has to do with him being a PF on the perimeter. Guards are not officiated the same way as PF's or C's.

So you can respectfully disagree all you want. You're still wrong.

dirno2000
02-06-2006, 10:29 AM
I think Bob Hill would disagree that the rules don't apply to Dirk. In fact, those rules are the reason that you can't guard him with a big. You're big guy can't arm bar him so Dirk just blows by.

The Grey area with Dirk, at least as I see it, is when we force the switch and he ends up around the FT line with a PG guarding him. He'll ususally turn his back to protect the ball and at that point it seems that he's treated like a post player, meaning the arm bar is allowed.

Murphy3
02-06-2006, 10:31 AM
That's fine that Bob Hill would disagree. However, when Dirk drives to the bucket, he definitely doesn't get nearly as many calls as your average driving guard gets. He's a PF so team's are allowed to bang him more. Even if he's making the same type of play that you'd normally associate with a guard, he doesn't get the same type of calls because he's not a guard. That's just the way the NBA is... It's a guard's league now.. The rules are set up that way. The game is officiated that way. That's what the league wants.

dude1394
02-06-2006, 11:38 AM
This is why I started the thread. I'm trying to:

1. Find the exact rules.
2. Wondering why it doesn't appear that on the perimeter dirkster is getting the same touch fouls.