PDA

View Full Version : Four Pistions make the All-Star team

dirno2000
02-09-2006, 11:43 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/63247.htm

February 9, 2006 -- The Nets' Vince Carter and four Pistons are among the seven Eastern All-Star reserves to be officially announced today, The Post has learned.
But in a huge surprise, the Wizards' Gilbert Arenas, the fifth-leading scorer in the league, was left off the reserve squad in voting by Eastern coaches.

That could be remedied, however, when Commissioner David Stern personally selects the replacement for injured starter Jermaine O'Neal of the Pacers.

Carter joins Pistons Rasheed Wallace, Ben Wallace, Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton as reserves.

Tayshaun Prince is the only Piston starter not selected.

Also on the East's reserve squad are two surprises, from struggling teams Paul Pierce of the Celtics and Chris Bosh of the Raptors.

Besides O'Neal, fans voted as East starters: Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade of the Heat, LeBron James of the Cavs and Allen Iverson of the Sixers.

The West starters are Houston's Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant of the Lakers, Tim Duncan of the Spurs and Steve Nash of the Suns.

The West reserves were not available.

Five-ofan
02-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Arenas isnt on the team? What a joke. Sheed has no business being anywhere near that game.

Scoobay
02-09-2006, 12:16 PM
how are paul pierce and chris bosh 'surprises'? they're having great years for sucky teams

rabbitproof
02-09-2006, 01:33 PM
F* detroit.

They've got three wins on us and they send FOUR players to the ASG? We're three games back on them, in a tougher conference and our MVP-contender isn't even an All-Star lock?

F* that.

God, I can't wait for the playoffs.

sike
02-09-2006, 01:45 PM
gay.

dirno2000
02-09-2006, 02:20 PM
F* detroit.

They've got three wins on us and they send FOUR players to the ASG? We're three games back on them, in a tougher conference and our MVP-contender isn't even an All-Star lock?

F* that.

God, I can't wait for the playoffs.

The tougher conference works against us. It's hard to make a case for Josh when you have Dirk, Garnett, Gasol, Brand, Marion and Anthony at forward.

I guess you could put in JT as a 3rd PG but Chris Paul is carrying the Hornets.

sike
02-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Josh is borderline at best.

kg_veteran
02-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Ordinarily, I wouldn't think that Arenas would have much of a gripe. Guys that rack up big stats on bad teams typically don't make the All-Star game. But when Pierce and Bosh make it, I think he might have a gripe after all. Those are two guys from weaker teams.

Weird.

As for the Mavs, Dirk will be the only guy to make it, and justifiably so.

grndmstr_c
02-09-2006, 03:14 PM
Arenas needs to be on the all-star team. And the Pistons have no business getting four representatives. Redd, Kidd, and Jefferson are all more deserving than Sheed, and somewhat more debateably, Rip as well.

sike
02-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Arenas needs to be on the all-star team. And the Pistons have no business getting four representatives. Redd, Kidd, and Jefferson are all more deserving than Sheed, and somewhat more debateably, Rip as well.
well said...but the next time you take my thoughts and post them as your own at least give me credit. ;)

4cwebb
02-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Ordinarily, I wouldn't think that Arenas would have much of a gripe. Guys that rack up big stats on bad teams typically don't make the All-Star game. But when Pierce and Bosh make it, I think he might have a gripe after all. Those are two guys from weaker teams.

Weird.

Agreed. I don't understand the logic of acknowledging that Pierce and Bosh are having good/great seasons with crappy teams without giving the same due to Arenas. Sure, the Wiz weren't supposed to be as inconsistent as they are, but were the Celtics supposed to be as bad as they have played?

And the 4 Pistons is too much...too bad the votes were cast prior to their recent two-game losing streak (which pretty much sealed the fact that the Pistons will probably not win 70 games.

FINtastic
02-09-2006, 07:33 PM
Gilbert is averaging 28 points and 6 assists a game. He's having an amazing year. I can't believe he didn't make it in.

rakesh.s
02-09-2006, 10:03 PM
ben wallace is so overrated it isn't funny.

ilgauskas should've made it as the backup to shaq.

weed over jamison or dwight howard is an absolute joke.

I have no problems with hamilton and billups.

ddh33
02-09-2006, 11:26 PM
The Pistons are the most overrated team in the history of the league. There, I said it. How do they have four guys on that team?

How does Melo not make it? His team is in first, and he's been a stud for them.

How does Gilbert Arenas not make it? That team will make the playoffs, and Arenas is one of the true stars in the game today.

How does Chris Paul not make it? Are they against rookies making the big game now? That was the worst team last season, and Paul is the biggest difference. Now, they are better than the Lakers.

So many players in that game for their reps only. It just gets old...

chumdawg
02-10-2006, 12:54 AM
I'd almost rather scratch my own nails on a chalkboard than watch an NBA All-Star game. So from my own perspective, no skin off.

I do feel bad for a guy like Arenas, though. What was he supposed to to, average 35 and 10?

MFFL
02-10-2006, 01:13 AM
Three of the eleven players who average over 25 points per game are not All-Stars. And all three players are on teams that are over 500. Something ain't right with this picture. Sheed is especially undeserving.

Thespiralgoeson
02-10-2006, 02:29 AM
Gilbert was an all-star last year, so I'm not shedding any tears for him. Chauncey and Rip make up probably the best backcourt in the NBA, so I think they both deserve a spot. Ben Wallace is once again going to be defensive player of the year. Even though Chauncey's their best player, that team really is build around him, so I have no problem with him making the team. Rasheed, however, most certainly does not deserve an all-star spot. Really, how does he make it over Dwight Howard?

George Gervin
02-10-2006, 07:31 AM
The Pistons deserve the 4 players I believe.

Lwin
02-10-2006, 08:41 AM

Nope.

Arne
02-10-2006, 08:44 AM
Why the heck is R.Wallace in this game. I can understand the other nominations, but Rasheed???

DubOverdose
02-10-2006, 10:12 AM
The whole ASG is a joke. The point is to see highlight reels, which won't be happening with 4 Pistons. Its just a game for players to be flashy and to excite the fans, Piston players will not do that. The Pistons didn't even deserve those guys being in the game. What a joke.

Arne
02-10-2006, 10:16 AM
The whole ASG is a joke. The point is to see highlight reels, which won't be happening with 4 Pistons. Its just a game for players to be flashy and to excite the fans, Piston players will not do that. The Pistons didn't even deserve those guys being in the game. What a joke.
The thing is: I'm not angry about Dirk not being in the starting lineup, because it was a vote made by the fans. But the reserves are not elected by the fans, but by the coaches. And I just don't get how they could all vote for Rasheed.

Dtownsfinest
02-10-2006, 11:30 AM
I can't complain because this is a vote by the coaches. Guys who have faced all 4 Pistons players and if they voted them in i'd imagine it was for good reason. But who's to say the coaches didn't vote them in just so the starting lineup of the Pistons won't be resting on All Star Week? Granted, its just an all star game but it wouldn't surprise me if the coaches voted them in just so they won't be resting at All Star Weekend.

sike
02-10-2006, 11:56 AM
nah....

alby
02-10-2006, 09:39 PM
the funny thing is, these guys complain about a lack of respect from the national media...