PDA

View Full Version : Kobe's new Nike commercial

raefformvp
02-11-2006, 06:59 PM
While I cannot stand Kobe, I thought this new commercial was great! There was a lot of truth to it. The many reasons that I can't stand him are the same reason that so many love him. His smirk. His arrogance. His swagger. His selfishness. Everything that drives me insane about him, his biggest fan absolutely loves. Great commercial, even if the subject is Kobe.

spreedom
02-11-2006, 07:26 PM
I'm the opposite. I love me some Kobe Bryant; if some is good, more is better. But I kind of found this commercial to be lame and a little awkward. His public image is fairly low even in the wake of 62 and 81.. why bother trying to bog it down even more?

Again.. I love Kobe and I think he's the best player the league has seen since Michael.. but this might not be the right way to market him.

Five-ofan
02-11-2006, 08:06 PM
Im not a kobe fan at all but i think he takes too much crap. I mean honestly i dont think there is another player except maybe ai who could score 81 and have as many people (not in the national media but just in general) criticize him for it. I saw the commercial. Thought it was pretty good.

irontoad
02-11-2006, 08:26 PM
To quote the great Doc, Kobe can suck it.

Drbio
02-11-2006, 09:16 PM
To quote the great Doc, Kobe can suck it.

Genius.

Kobe can blow a monkey. He deserves no praise whatsoever. It sickens me that Nike has glorified this rapist. I'll never buy a Nike as long as they condone the public display and praise of a known rapist.

Murphy3
02-11-2006, 09:57 PM
How many people did Kobe rape in the commercial? I haven't seen it yet.

dude1394
02-11-2006, 10:00 PM
I think only 3.

alby
02-11-2006, 10:58 PM
hahaha

alby
02-11-2006, 10:58 PM
i only counted two myself

guess i gotta tivo it?

rabbitproof
02-13-2006, 01:37 AM
Success or failure, I think this was marketing genius. I do not know how else you'd market Kobe. He's not a golden child. He's not from the streets. "Kobe: Raping These Basketball Courts" would not sell in Colorado.

This was the way to go about it. Label those who disrespect him as haters. It's all about the kids, remember? Like the Game says, love it or hate it, the underdog's on top, and imma shine.... professional sports is about winning and money: Ray Lewis, Mike Tyson... Kobe and his off-court issues is small potatoes. It was only a matter of time. It'll be interesting to see how Nike and Kobe do now since he was relatively hard to market when he was the clean cut guy (with McDonald's/Sprite). Now he has a 'personality', love it or hate it, will he sell?

dirno2000
02-13-2006, 01:51 AM
will he sell?

Nike doesn't make many miscalculations.

Dtownsfinest
02-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Yea its funny how things work. You get dropped when some girl accuses you of rape than as soon as you put up 81 points all of a sudden I see posters and commercials of Kobe Bryant lol. Not much of a fan of the guy off the court but i'm a huge fan of his on court. Can't deny greatness. I don't pay to watch his actions off court. I pay to see what he does on court and he never lets you down. I liked the commercial. No special graphics or basketball players wearing costumes just a straight up commercial.

bernardos70
02-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Yeah, I agree, it was a good commercial, made up for that Amaré Stoudemire sorry excuse for a commerical Nike has.

P.S.: Kobe can still suck it.

irontoad
02-13-2006, 01:49 PM
I hope women across the country stop buying Nike stuff from now on, I know I will...

Look, if the guy was falsely accused, then more power to him, and good luck with all his endorsement deals...

but if he was guilty, then I think it's disgusting how people can still root for a rapist... and I tend to think this was more of the case when the guy apologizes to the woman involved in this... If he didn't do anything, why would he apologize? Maybe I don't have all the facts here about the case, but at this point in time that's what I think... If someone can prove me wrong, go ahead.

on a side note, I think rapists should have the favor returned to them in the form of a splintery broom handle, whether you're an NBA star or a street bum. But that's just me.

This is obviously something I have issues with, and yes, I need to get over it... Sorry if I offend anyone, and I won't object if I get modded... just needed to get it off my chest...

Dtownsfinest
02-13-2006, 02:08 PM
I understand your frustration irontoad. The problem I have is no one knows what went on in the room. Kobe's the high profile guy. We love to hate him so of course we are going to side with the young lady who made the accusations but she's the one who dropped the charges. Though i'm speaking from the male perspective but if someone raped me I know I wouldn't let him go off free like Kobe did. Dropping the charges made her look like a liar. I don't know about anyone else but one thing I hate is when someone makes me out to be something i'm not. Its not like its uncommon for a young lady to falsely accuse a high profile celebrity. Its nothing new. Happens atleast once a year. I don't know who's telling the truth or not which is why I choose not to side with any parties. They both could be lying for all I know.

spreedom
02-13-2006, 02:14 PM
For what it's worth (and probably not much at that) I believe Kobe to be innocent until proven guilty. If she had such a strong case, why was she unwilling to take a lie detector test or testify in court?

She got her payday, and I believe that's all she was in it for..

orangedays
02-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Kobe's commercial is a good piece of marketing, targeted at easily-influenced youth (mostly suburban but possibly the inner-city demographic as well). Right now, the strategy is to give him an edge, make him in-your-face and have him deride you...if you look on the ESPN (or NBA) website, you'll occasionally see the smaller Kobe advertisements which say, "I'm Ready, You're Not. Here I Come." Nike recognizes that a large percentage of America (or at least the NBA community) dislikes Kobe, a la raefformvp, or downright hates him, a la Drbio and they understand that this is the only way they can get across to people. rabbitproof was right in saying that Kobe has personality now, rather than being a scrubbed celebrity, his dirty laundry has been hung out to dry for all to see. How does Nike use this to their advantage? By creating an advertising campaign which basically says, "Yeah...what now bitches?" This is an example of loving to hate taken to a new level, I personally question whether or not it will work (and remind dirno2000 that just because Nike's marketing folks came up with it doesn't mean it's gold, citing Amare's commercial).

Five-ofan
02-13-2006, 05:39 PM
I hate kobe but i dont think you should call him a rapist. Innocent until proven guilty is important for a reason. He did cheat on his wife though which i hate almost as much. That said, sadly i doubt that is that uncommon for professional athletes. All i know for sure is that his just got more publicized.

dirno2000
02-13-2006, 05:40 PM
and remind dirno2000 that just because Nike's marketing folks came up with it doesn't mean it's gold, citing Amare's commercial

My point wasn't about the specific commercial but rather, the fact that Nike feels the time is right to market him to the mainstream.

Of course they're not totaly going out on a limb. If you think that All-Star voting is a proxy of fan sentiment then he's already back as he finished a close 2nd to Yao.

I think you've nailed the strategy, I'm just more convinced then you that it'll work.

Murphy3
02-13-2006, 08:42 PM
I hate kobe but i dont think you should call him a rapist. Innocent until proven guilty is important for a reason. He did cheat on his wife though which i hate almost as much. That said, sadly i doubt that is that uncommon for professional athletes. All i know for sure is that his just got more publicized.
Kobe = rapist rapist rapist rapist rapist rapist rapist pedohile rapist rapist rapist rapist rapist

orangedays
02-13-2006, 09:16 PM
My point wasn't about the specific commercial but rather, the fact that Nike feels the time is right to market him to the mainstream.

Of course they're not totaly going out on a limb. If you think that All-Star voting is a proxy of fan sentiment then he's already back as he finished a close 2nd to Yao.

I think you've nailed the strategy, I'm just more convinced then you that it'll work.

No I think you're right, I mean if the powers that be at Nike let this thing get out in the open we'd have to assume that the likelihood of it working >50%. And I agree with your point about the All-Star voting completely, I hadn't even considered that.

raefformvp
02-13-2006, 11:16 PM
I think it is interesting that I've heard people say they won't buy Nike products because of Kobe endorsing them (not just here). I've never really thought about who endorses what I buy. If I like something, I get it. I've always liked Nike tennis shoes, and I don't really plan on buying any other brand. If people really follow through with taking a stand against a company paying a slime ball such as Kobe by boycotting their products, I have respect for you! I just thought the commercial as a commercial only and not a reflection on a company was well done and had some truth to it.

alby
02-13-2006, 11:26 PM
I love Nike. Always have and always will.

Murphy3
02-14-2006, 12:15 AM
I can't remember the last time I bought anything Nike....Ever since I stopped buying their shoes, there's absolutely nothing of theirs that interest me. New Balance is far and away the better running shoe... So, I have no need for anything Nike. Most of their other athletic gear usually comes with an overly inflated price tag.

capitalcity
02-14-2006, 01:50 AM
New Balance is far and away the better running shoe... So, I have no need for anything Nike. Most of their other athletic gear usually comes with an overly inflated price tag.NB are made (assembled) in America.

Buy Nike if you want to support University of Oregon athletics - and Pakistani slave labor.

Drbio
02-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Somewhat OT....Didn't Nike get their start from Prefontaine's coach? That kid could run like the wind.....