PDA

View Full Version : Biggest All Star snubs?

spreedom
02-11-2006, 07:34 PM
The reserves have already been announced, and as we all know by now, Gilbert Arenas has made the team in place of the injured Jermaine O'Neal. But who cares, right? The most fun about the All Star game is observing those who have been snubbed and deserve to be there.

Carmelo Anthony is the most obvious choice. He's averaging almost 26 a game, and without him the Nuggets would stink. Say what you want about Camby, but without 'Melo, this is a last-place basketball team without a doubt. He's one of the most clutch players in the league today, bar none. Get Ray Allen's ass of the Western team and make room for Carmelo, a third-year man that is already superior in most aspects of the game.

However, his team mate Marcus Camby is a stud in his own right. I think Carmelo is the best player on the team, and it showed as the Nugs stayed afloat in Camby's absence.. but earlier this season it was to the point where he was expected to get 15 boards and 3 blocks per game. Of all of the centers in the league, he probably clogs the lane better than the rest. Yao Ming is a disgrace as the starting C in the West..

Dwight Howard is the player that I'm most disappointed to see being left out. Dude will probably average 15 and 13 this year, and as a sophomore is a lone bright spot in Orlando this year. I am of the opinion that he will be an MVP candidate beginning in the next three or four years, and probably continuing for a good portion of his career. Last year it appeared that Okafor was the better pick, but this year Dwight Howard has proven all doubters wrong. He is an absolute stud in every meaning of the word and I definitely hope Orlando is able to get their asses in line so they can field a good team around this guy. Fortunately, time is on his side, so he will have many All Star appearances in the future. I get the feeling that Sheed will be starting for the East, but Dwight is much more deserving.. hell, start him at the 5 instead of Shaq, who doesn't belong in the starting five either.

Any other thoughts? :D

Drbio
02-11-2006, 07:52 PM
It all starts and ends with Melo for me. He got jobbed. I think you could probably argue a case for Chris Paul too.

I absolutely HATE that the starters are voted by fans.

dude1394
02-11-2006, 08:53 PM
Yup, pretty bogus system. Tmac will never be an all-star caliber team again imo. It's terrible, but he'll be lucky if he doesn't have to retire soon it seems to me.

Yao is another that was absolutely ridiculous. But whatta' ya' gonna do. If the NBA players want to change it they'll have to take a little less money from fans/tv because they are just giving the paying public what they want.

Murphy3
02-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Each person voting from China or any other foreign country besides Canada should only count as 1/3rd of a vote.

Thespiralgoeson
02-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Tmac will never be an all-star caliber team again imo. It's terrible, but he'll be lucky if he doesn't have to retire soon it seems to me.

Are you referring to his back problems? I didn't know they were that serious.

dude1394
02-11-2006, 09:16 PM
Are you referring to his back problems? I didn't know they were that serious.

Yes I am...It's seems to be an on-going issue, it's basically ruined this season, they never get better and I just can't see him being able to make an NBA season again. Especially in his case when so much of his talent is athleticism and jumping over people.

It would be a shame. I AM a pessimist when it comes to injuries however, but even the rockets fans are talking about him just stopping the season now so he can rest his back.

BUT...I don't think that really happens with a bad back, it's just bad.

Of course this is just me talking, I don't have a bunch of data to back it up.

alby
02-11-2006, 10:00 PM
He's always had problems, rooting back to this days as a TEENAGER with the raptors.
To get back on topic, Melo over Ray Allen without question.
IMO, Redd over Rip Hamilton and Dwight over Technical Wallace.

Evilmav2
02-12-2006, 05:52 AM
Each person voting from China or any other foreign country besides Canada should only count as 1/3rd of a vote.

That's a very good idea, Murphy...

MFFL
02-12-2006, 09:30 AM
Redd is a significant omission. Averaging 25 ppg for a team that is 3 games over 500 when EVERYONE thought the Bucks would stink this year.

Five-ofan
02-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Why does it matter if people thought your team would suck or not???? People used that same dumbass logic when giving the mvp to nash last year. A team that is 3 games over 500 is a team that is 3 games over 500 expectations or no. Now you can argue surrounding talent and I will listen but to say well no one expected it has no baring on the accomplishment.

Drbio
02-12-2006, 02:32 PM

Yep...and the canadians should only count 1/8.

Murphy3
02-12-2006, 02:35 PM
I can see that Doc but only because they are on the whole shorter than the average American.

Five-ofan
02-12-2006, 02:39 PM
If someone from france votes for you you should be automatically disqualified.

Murphy3
02-12-2006, 03:05 PM
If someone from france votes for you you should be automatically disqualified.
What the heck? Perhaps you're mistaken as to what type of site this is. It is unfortunate that such comments would be found in the Around the NBA section. Save that crap for the Political forum.

Five-ofan
02-12-2006, 03:08 PM
LOL, especially since i read your post before you edited it.