PDA

View Full Version : Okla Governor rips Barkley for racial comments

Drbio
02-11-2006, 08:12 PM
OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma Gov. Brad Henry blasted Charles Barkley on Friday after the former NBA star said the state was "no place for black people."

"Obviously, Charles Barkley doesn't know what he's talking about," Henry said in a statement. "Anyone who follows Barkley knows he's notorious for saying ridiculous things that have no basis in fact, and this case is a perfect example."

Barkley, now a TNT analyst, made his comments during a discussion about New Orleans Hornets rookie Chris Paul on the network's All-Star selection show.
"The Oklahoma Sooners and the Hornets are the only brothers in town," Barkley said.

Barkley also teased Paul, asking if he had chickens and cows in his yard.

The Hornets temporarily relocated to Oklahoma City this season following the damage to New Orleans from Hurricane Katrina. Last month, the NBA announced that the Hornets will play 35 games in Oklahoma City and six in New Orleans in 2006-07.

Drbio
02-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Whereas I agree that Barkley pretty much doesn't have a clue I'm not convinced that he intended this to be racial in nature. Of course, that is one of the problems with playing the race card.

dude1394
02-11-2006, 08:59 PM
Whether he did or not, he said it, he basically called everyone in oklahoma a racist.

Barkley is a bigot.

4cwebb
02-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Whether he did or not, he said it, he basically called everyone in oklahoma a racist.

Barkley is a bigot.

Barkley has made similar statements before. I seem to recall him making a comment about being the only black person in South Dakota following a trip there.

Plus, wasn't Barkley the guy that made the "that's why I hate white people" remark?

Dtownsfinest
02-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Yea he's made similiar comments about Utah. Not sure why anyone would get offended. This is Charles Barkley. Nothing new. He was saying the remarks in a joking matter. When Rush Limbaugh made the comments about Donovan McNabb being hyped up by the media because he was a black quarterback he was dead serious. I didn't get the impression he was making a joke. We've become wayyyyyy too sensitive when it comes to race in america. The day we become comfortable with our race is the day racism will die. I remember when Bird made comments last season about the league needing more white superstars. The media went crazy.

Nash13
02-12-2006, 10:49 PM
I don't know about the "That's why i hate black people" remark, but as a black person, i think i understand what he meant. I'm more than positive that he didn't call Oklahoma residents racists, it's just that Oklahoma isn't one of the places that is talked about amongst blacks. It's kind of difficult to explain, but it's not a racial comment.

Dtownsfinest
02-12-2006, 10:53 PM
I don't know about the "That's why i hate black people" remark, but as a black person, i think i understand what he meant. I'm more than positive that he didn't call Oklahoma residents racists, it's just that Oklahoma isn't one of the places that is talked about amongst blacks. It's kind of difficult to explain, but it's not a racial comment.

Yea. The reason why I took the remark that serious is because I think even Barkley knows there are blacks in Oklahoma. Just like his remark about Karl Malone being the only black guy in Utah. Hell I know for a fact that Langston University is a historically black college.

I never heard Charles make a remark about hating white people. That's new to me. Seems he has his face planted in Manu Ginobilli's every Thursday.

Murphy3
02-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Charles did make the comment mentioned about hating white people... In fact, the above quote is exactly right.

Dtownsfinest
02-12-2006, 11:05 PM
Was he joking when he said it? I find it hard to believe that when he made that comment he didn't have a smile upon his face.

Murphy3
02-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Was he joking when he said it? I find it hard to believe that when he made that comment he didn't have a smile upon his face.
I'm sure he probably was.

I'm probably one of the few people on this board that like Charles Barkley....except his Mavs bit.

Drbio
02-12-2006, 11:14 PM

So if a white guy smiles when he says he hates black people is that ok? Maybe if a white guy was smiling when he said that Mississippi was no place for white people is that ok? The rules need to be consistent. Just saying you know?

Nash13
02-12-2006, 11:19 PM
Charles did make the comment mentioned about hating white people... In fact, the above quote is exactly right.

Nash13, your effort to protect Barkley is nothing short of pathetic. At the very best, the only thing anyone can say in Barkley's defense is that "it's just barkley being barkley, ..nothing he says is of importance"

I'm not trying to protect Barkley at all, he hates the Mavs too much for me to do that. And you're right, nothing he says is of important. The fact is Oklahoma is not a place a lot of black people talk about. Places like Atlanta, Houston, New Orleans, etc. are places where i know of black people that regularly visit because they have types of stores, restaurants, churches, overall enviornment that black people like.

Dtownsfinest
02-13-2006, 11:42 AM
So if a white guy smiles when he says he hates black people is that ok? Maybe if a white guy was smiling when he said that Mississippi was no place for white people is that ok? The rules need to be consistent. Just saying you know?

No its not okay and I think we all know why it isn't. Not to sound racist myself but we know the history of blacks and whites. I know its not right but its how things are. Had history been a little bit different than things like the remark Charles Barkley made wouldn't be accepted. But we live in a era where minorities are allowed to joke about the white race without for the most part being labeled a racist.