PDA

View Full Version : Houston gets Lampe

MavsFanFinley
02-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Hornets swap Lampe for Rockets' Norris

February 13, 2006

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- The New Orleans Hornets traded center Maciej Lampe to the Houston Rockets on Monday for point guard Moochie Norris.

The Hornets needed a point guard after starter Chris Paul and backup Speedy Claxton were injured Wednesday against Seattle. Claxton returned from a mild concussion, and Paul is expected back soon after missing games because of bruised ribs.

"The acquisition of Moochie gives us a solid veteran at the third point guard spot," Hornets general manager Jeff Bower said.

Norris was averaging 2.2 points and one assist in 29 games with the Rockets, his fourth team in eight NBA seasons. Lampe, who played a total of 15 minutes in two appearances with the Hornets this season, had been hampered by back spasms and a left foot injury.

Five-ofan
02-13-2006, 07:01 PM
decent trade. Its really dangerous for the hornets to trade any youth in my opinion though. They may make the playoffs this year but is getting stomped in round 1 worth possibly hurting your very bright future? Not saying lampe will be great or anything just saying they have traded several picks/young players recently.

alby
02-13-2006, 07:04 PM
The Rockets are quietly making moves that are bettering their team IMO. Bogans is instantly producing for the Rockets and Lampe is added insurance for Yao who's been injured and grandpa Mutombo.

jayC
02-13-2006, 07:09 PM
Lampe was what a second rounder. They traded two second rounders. Not many second rounders produce big in the NBA. I wouldn't have traded Magloire, but then again I didn't think the Hornets would make the playoffs.

The Rockets aren't going anywhere fast. Bogans Ooh scary move!

alby
02-13-2006, 07:11 PM
Of course these moves are not going to effect the top 7, but they are slow improving their bottom 5...

MavsFanFinley
02-13-2006, 07:13 PM
I like the move for the Rockets.

Not all moves have to be geared toward this year do they?

alby
02-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Lampe was what a second rounder. They traded two second rounders. Not many second rounders produce big in the NBA. I wouldn't have traded Magloire, but then again I didn't think the Hornets would make the playoffs.

I get negative rep for that...?

Locked_Up_Tonight
02-13-2006, 07:46 PM
Lampe needs time on the court. The good thing is he is young. Houston is slowly getting **younger**....

That is the "beauty" of the move.

Drbio
02-13-2006, 09:37 PM

Lampe was either a last pick in the first or the first pick in the second because a rumor spread about his health. Remember him in tears on draft day? It was really sad. This kid had been projected as high as the sixth pick. I like this kid and think he has a solid future. Good move by the Rox.

alby
02-13-2006, 09:44 PM
don't tell jayc that. jerk.

EricaLubarsky
02-13-2006, 09:46 PM
You know, I havent started fearing the Rockets until now. Now I can barely walk my legs are trembling so bad.

Drbio
02-13-2006, 09:52 PM
don't tell jayc that. jerk.

huh?

Drbio
02-13-2006, 09:53 PM
You know, I havent started fearing the Rockets until now. Now I can barely walk my legs are trembling so bad.

Sarcasm becomes you. ;)

alby
02-13-2006, 10:13 PM
huh?

nothing, just calling jayc out for giving me negative rep for no reason... lol

Nash13
02-13-2006, 11:11 PM
I get negative rep for that...?

That's what you'll get if you disagree with him. He did the same to me.

Drbio
02-14-2006, 10:40 AM
What did you get neg rep for Nash?

BTW...I just looked it up....Lampe was the 30th pick in the draft. JayC was correct.

Selected by New York in the second round (30th overall) of the 2003 NBA Draft, and later traded to the Suns on Jan. 5, 2004

Five-ofan
02-14-2006, 01:30 PM
I remember lampe because the knicks wanted him in the first and got him in the second. ALOT of mavs fans wanted him instead of jho. Im glad we made the pick we did but he is a young big with talent. Just saying its dangerous for a team to trade youth when they SHOULD be building for the future. ANyone who doesnt understand that clearly didnt pay attention when the rangers did the same thing.

EricaLubarsky
02-14-2006, 02:20 PM
He was supposed to be top ten material but he dropped to 30. I wonder how much was his contract as the announcers said and how much was teams not falling for his hype.

Drbio
02-14-2006, 03:36 PM
He was supposed to be top ten material but he dropped to 30. I wonder how much was his contract as the announcers said and how much was teams not falling for his hype.

There were rampant rumors regarding his health (a shoulder if I remember correctly) which resulted in his free fall. He was in tears at the draft. He was told that he was going to be a top 6 pick which is why he was in attendance. His agent spent the entire draft day faxing a clean bill of health to teams and trying to talk to GM's.

Hitman
02-14-2006, 10:42 PM
Drbio -- It had nothing to do with his health. The rumors were that
a) he would not get out of his Euro contract because it had a very large buyout clause (which could not be met because of the rookie salary cap) and,
b) that he was soft, unproven and overrated.

I saw him play that July in Boston at the Knicks Summer League. He was big, slow, had a decent handle for a big man and could shoot it from long distance pretty good.

Drbio
02-14-2006, 11:24 PM
Drbio -- It had nothing to do with his health. The rumors were that
a) he would not get out of his Euro contract because it had a very large buyout clause (which could not be met because of the rookie salary cap) and,
b) that he was soft, unproven and overrated.

I saw him play that July in Boston at the Knicks Summer League. He was big, slow, had a decent handle for a big man and could shoot it from long distance pretty good.

Yep...you were correct Hitman. I was going off bad memory. I found this blurb from within an article the day after this draft.

For every player that leaps up the draft board, somebody needs to fall. When the Knicks took Sweentey, Maciej Lampe suddenly found himself without a suitor. Originally expected to be a top ten pick, Lampe chose to work out only for lottery teams. This strategy haunted him on draft night, when questions arose concerning the buy-out clause in his European contract. Once he fell out of the lottery, he went into a freefall. Playoff teams are usually looking for immediate help, not a teenaged project to develop, and many of the teams that might have wanted him had already struck deals with specific players. The result? Lampe fell all the way to the second round, where the Knicks were able to steal him with the 30th pick. So New York got both of the guys they were considering at pick 9-not too shabby. Not too shabby for Lampe either: if the Grizz, the Spurs, or the Mavs had taken the Pole at the end of the first round, he would've been locked into a low-cash contract. Now he can prove he's worth lottery-type money.

It still amazes me that he fell so far when he was touted as a 4-8 pick even the day before the draft. Also, I saw another blurb about his agent working the phones all draft day. I guess it was to assure the teams that his buyout wan't a problem.

MrCheerios
02-15-2006, 03:20 PM
He's a complete bust. You don't go through three teams and not manage to get off the bench for any of them just because you're young. If Nash couldn't make anything out of him in practice, neither will the rockets.