PDA

View Full Version : Radmanovic and Wilcox switch teams

MavsFanFinley
02-14-2006, 08:00 PM
SuperSonics send Radmanovic to Clippers for Wilcox

By TIM BOOTH, Associated Press Writer
February 14, 2006

SEATTLE (AP) -- The Seattle SuperSonics traded Vladimir Radmanovic to the Los Angeles Clippers for Chris Wilcox on Tuesday in a swap of 6-foot-10 forwards.

Radmanovic, a free agent after the season, has struggled for the past month despite being put in the starting lineup after new coach Bob Hill took over Jan. 3. Since Jan. 11, Radmanovic has scored in double figures only four times in 13 games, and recently was benched in favor of forward Nick Collison.

Radmanovic, who turned down a $42 million, six-year deal with the Sonics before the season and signed a one-year tender instead, is averaging 9.3 points -- down from 11.8 last season. Because he signed a one-year tender, Radmanovic had the right to block the trade.

The 25-year-old Radmanovic, in his fifth NBA season, scored a career-high 30 points at New York on Jan. 8.

Radmanovic was drafted by the Sonics with the 12th pick in the 2001 draft. In his four years with Seattle, the versatile Serbian has been an adept threat from the perimeter, shooting 38 percent on 3-pointers.

He is averaging 10.1 points and 4.5 rebounds in his career.

"Vladimir gives us versatility and he fits very well into our system," Clippers general manager Elgin Baylor said. "He's agile and he runs the floor well. We see him playing multiple positions and his outside shooting will stretch the defense and be a big positive for our inside players."

Wilcox's production also has dwindled, even with the Clippers challenging for the Pacific Division lead. The 6-foot-10 forward is playing only 13 minutes per game and averaging 4.5 points. Last season, Wilcox averaged 7.9 points and 4.2 rebounds in 54 games.

The 23-year-old Wilcox has career averages of 6.5 points and 3.8 rebounds in three-plus seasons with the Clippers after they made him the eighth overall selection in the 2002 draft following his two-year college career at Maryland.

"In Chris, we get a great rebounder who can run the floor," Sonics' general manager Rick Sund said in a statement. "He has a powerful and quick jump shot and will be a nice complement to our frontcourt as both an additional scoring option and as a defensive presence."

The acquisition of Wilcox could be just the start of moves by the struggling Sonics. Earlier this week, Sund said the team would be active in discussions leading up to the Feb. 23 trade deadline. After losing to Denver on Sunday, Hill pleaded for the team to acquire a backup point guard to help starter Luke Ridnour.

Forward Reggie Evans and guard Ronald Murray have been mentioned in a number of rumored trades. Like Radmanovic, both signed one-year tenders and will be free agents after the season.

The Clippers, having one of the best seasons in franchise history, entered Tuesday night's home game against Houston with a 30-19 record, putting them 2 1/2 games behind the Pacific Division-leading Phoenix Suns.

The Sonics have been a disappointment after winning 52 games and making the playoffs last season. They were 20-31 entering Tuesday night's game at Milwaukee.

Drbio
02-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Interesting.

One thing...MFF is damn fast on reporting trades. ;)

alby
02-14-2006, 11:00 PM
I think this helps both teams out. But, the move is not going to make the Mavericks worry one bit so blah =]

However, I think it does solidify the Clippers as a quality playoff team in the West.
Wilcox is a talent, we'll see what Seattle can do with him.

4cwebb
02-14-2006, 11:32 PM
It will be interesting to see where Radmonovic fits into the Clippers plans...QRoss has been playing pretty consistently and providing lots of intangibles for that team in Maggette's absence.

Evilmav2
02-14-2006, 11:59 PM
I'd say that the Clippers definitely got the better of this exchange. Chris Wilcox looked to me to be a a decently athletic, but very unskilled project big man during his time playing at Maryland, and after being drafted #8 overall in '02 he hasn't noticably developed the 'potential' that got him drafted so high, and thus amazingly has proven to be an almost greater underachieving NBA bust than his fellow 2002 draftee bust-brother Melvin Ely...

RadMan on the other hand, is a decent rebounder and an extemely skilled offensive player who for the last few seasons has unfortunately been relegated to a 3rd or 4th offensive banana-role on the shooter-rich Sonics, and thus has not really had an opportunity to have the breakout season that I think the tall Serbo-Montenegrian has been long overdue to have.

alby
02-15-2006, 12:10 AM
But if he didn't get the chance in Seattle to "breakout", there's no way he will be able to in L.A. with Sam, Mobley, Brand, and Maggette coming back IMO.

Evilmav2
02-15-2006, 12:34 AM
But if he didn't get the chance in Seattle to "breakout", there's no way he will be able to in L.A. with Sam, Mobley, Brand, and Maggette coming back IMO.

I may well be proven wrong in coming months, but I sure as heck don't find it hard to believe that the RadMan will be able to find a better defined role as a 20+ mpg rebounder and outside shooting threat, while garnering a few more shots attempts a game in Clipperland, than he every was allowed to do in Seattle.

Offensively, an older Sam-I-Am has become mainly a midrange jumpshooter with playmaking ability, Cat is a ball-dominating slasher, a healthy Maggette is certainly a good all-round offensive player, but nobody ever accused him of being a great jump-shooter, and Brand's game certainly isn't oriented toward the perimeter. Thus it seems to me that Radmanovic's undeniably potently-ranged jumpshot should be able to spread the court for Brand & co. without taking away too many perimeter looks from his teammates, so it's not hard for me to imagine that he has a chance to end up playing a more productive and consistent role as a Clip than he has been able to do than he was ever able to do playing on a team that was built around sharp-shooter Ray Allen and his band of merry rebounders.

Now, I'm not saying Vlad is going to morph into a Peja or Dirk-like dominating, big Euro shooter, #1 offensive option type fellow at this point in his career, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the man be able to put up a healthy 16 and 8, while shooting good percentages in helping a good playoff-bound Clippers team win games, which is better than I'd guess the good Mr. Wilcox will be likely to do any time in his near (or far) future in Seattle or anywhere else...

Dtownsfinest
02-15-2006, 12:42 AM
I say its a wash. Seattle had plenty of outside threats and to get a big man in return for a outside threat that they didn't need i'd say they made off pretty well. Clipps in return got a outside threat who they could definately use.

Dirkenstien
02-15-2006, 01:10 AM
Wash. The trade is good for both teams but I don't see any clear advantage at all.

bernardos70
02-15-2006, 01:16 AM
I think the Sonics got raped. Radmanovic's got much game, and I am with Malo Mav Dos on this one. Actually, I kind of disagree with him, because I believe he'll be averaging something closer to 22 and 9, maybe even a double double if given the chance. He's underrated. Wilcox on the other hand......

alby
02-15-2006, 01:32 AM
I agree with you totally on the basis of what Vlad can theoretically bring to the Clippers. But how can he average 16 points when Brand gets 25, Maggette gets 20, and Cat/Sam get 40 between the two? That's all I'm saying

bernardos70
02-15-2006, 01:57 AM
I kinda overlooked that, didn't I?

Evilmav2
02-15-2006, 02:03 AM
I agree with you totally on the basis of what Vlad can theoretically bring to the Clippers. But how can he average 16 points when Brand gets 25, Maggette gets 20, and Cat/Sam get 40 between the two? That's all I'm saying

Up until last week, Maggette's left foot was in a cast, and he isn't likely to be back in the lineup scoring his 20 ppg for quite some time to come. Additionally,, I'd bet that Dunleavy Sr. will be eager to try to find many spots for sharp-shooting Vlad to make his presence felt in the Clips offense, taken largely at the expense of the free-wheeling, low percentage shooting Cat, from Sammy, and from offensively limited guys like Ewing, Singleton, and Ross...

grndmstr_c
02-15-2006, 07:56 PM
This is an interesting swap. Rad can certainly shoot the hell out of the ball, and that ability to spread the defense from the power forward position is something all Mavs fans should appreciate. I have to disagree about him being a good rebounder, though. 8.2 per 48 as a PF this year, 7.5 per 48 as a PF in 04/05, and 8.3 per 48 as a PF in 03/04. He's weak in that respect. His defensive numbers leave much to be desired as well.