PDA

View Full Version : What's supposed to be the deal with T-Mac?

MavKikiNYC
02-20-2006, 10:42 AM
McGrady coping with undisclosed personal problems

Associated Press

(http://log.go.com/log?srvc=sz&guid=C9D54433-D215-4757-A657-0083DB7DD435&drop=0&addata=1332:63:218152:65&a=1&goto=http://www.mobileespn.com?campaign=mobile&source=insider_ah) At times, I don't even want to be in the arena or a uniform.
Tracy McGrady

HOUSTON -- All-Star weekend has come to Houston during one of the worst times of Tracy McGrady (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3179)'s life.

The 26-year-old Rockets star, who'll play in his sixth All-Star game Sunday, won't divulge what's bothering him, but said his personal crisis is as trying as anything he's ever faced.

"I'm human, I'm going through some things in my life, things I've got to deal with, and I'm just trying to handle it the best way I can," McGrady said. "It's wearing and tearing at me. This weight has gotten heavy for me and it's taking a toll."

Even Houston coach Jeff Van Gundy is concerned, making a recent unscheduled visit to McGrady's house to talk to him about his issues. McGrady told Van Gundy he was considering taking some games off and disappearing from public life.

"I told my coach that's how I felt -- that I really felt like leaving and not tell people where I was going, just getting away for a few days and just clearing my mind," McGrady said. "I need peace of mind right now. It's all just piled up on me and broken me down."

McGrady has missed 13 games this season with back spasms and left another game in late December to see his fiancee, Clerenda Harris, give birth to their second child, a son.
But McGrady wouldn't say whether the issues were health-related or who they involve.

"I've dealt with family members passing away, best friends getting killed," McGrady said. "This is a lot worse than that because it's a combination of things in different areas.

"I'm in a tough stage of my life right now."

Whatever is bothering him, it's affected his play.

In his last 12 games, McGrady has shot worse than 32 percent from the field six times, including a 4-for-15 night in Houston's 109-75 loss to Phoenix on Thursday. He went 3-for-20 against New York last Sunday and refused to speak to reporters afterward.

"At times, I don't even want to be in the arena or a uniform," McGrady said. "It's just been so frustrating. In the past, I've usually done a great job of keeping things to myself and really not letting things affect me.

"I am going through some things and it does affect my professional life. I try not to let it, but I can't really control it."

McGrady had planned to skip Friday's media availability. Friends convinced him to go and McGrady said he hopes the weekend festivities in his backyard will take his mind off the personal problems.

"It really took a lot for me to come down here with the things that are going on," McGrady said. "They told me it was the best thing for me and I realize this is in the city I perform in every night."

McGrady said friends are helping him work through the issues, and he feels better than he did a few days ago.

"There, for a while, I wasn't really myself in games, after games, and everybody noticed it," he said. "I just felt like sharing with people what I was going through -- things that wear and tear on me physically and emotionally.

kg_veteran
02-20-2006, 10:55 AM
Good question. I, for one, got tired of all the secretive talk about how all of the other West All-Stars were going to try and lift T-Mac's spirits.

Drbio
02-20-2006, 11:03 AM
Sounds a lot like Depression. It can be devastating. Maybe he lost millions in his Google stock....or maybe he is trying to cope with his google eye. Who knows.

MavsFanFinley
02-20-2006, 12:23 PM
I thought I heard something last night from one of the commentators about it being an illness to a close family member?

capitalcity
02-20-2006, 12:27 PM
F'em.

mary
02-20-2006, 12:46 PM
I have no clue what it could be, but if the other guys were trying to cheer him up - I personally think that's incredibly kind. If everyone was purposefully trying to feed him the ball, I see nothing wrong with it. I was really rooting for him on that last shot.

I didn't care for T-Mac when he was in Orlando. But after the playoffs last year and listening to him in the post game press conferences, I thought he genuinely sounded like a good guy.

For whatever personal struggles he's going through right now, I wish him well.

MavKikiNYC
02-20-2006, 01:07 PM
Not sure what to think about him.

First, there definitely seems to be an issue with his performance this year, and particuarly in the last month or so. I've presumed it was health-related, and his back condition has gotten a lot of press.

But then came a lot of discussion around All-Star weekend, about personal problems, health issues of a family member. Certainly understand a desire for privacy, but is his newborn son all right? Is his wife/baby's mama okay?

Would also be sympathetic to the depression issue, but...it seems like he's got enough self-awareness about depression that he'd be addressing the problem a different way. Not talking about getting away from the game. Not looking to distract himself by copping an MVP award.

Nice gesture, if correct, by the other All-Stars, but...kinda misguided. They're not gonna get him out of a depression by feeding him an MVP before the hometown crowd.

It's curious. I wish him well, and hope he gets his health issues taken care of, both physical and mental. If it's depression, I hope he gets it taken care of. If it's something else, I wish he'd stop clouding the issue.

Any Rox lurkers reading with more specific info?

chumdawg
02-20-2006, 01:35 PM
Doubtless he has a cognitive disorder. That's always a handy explanation for "abnormal" behavior, isn't it?

mary
02-20-2006, 01:39 PM
Nice gesture, if correct, by the other All-Stars, but...kinda misguided. They're not gonna get him out of a depression by feeding him an MVP before the hometown crowd.

But do you think that was really their intention? In these types of situations, sometimes its nice just to try to give someone "one good day". If it works, then its one more than what they had before.

FreshJive
02-20-2006, 01:49 PM
I'd just like to know what an "escape goat" is.

MavKikiNYC
02-20-2006, 01:54 PM

Oh hell yes. Exactly.

Dtownsfinest
02-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Rumors have circulated it has something to do with his daughter possibly not being his. Some have said he may have a illness. Whatever it is he seemed to have enjoyed himself yesterday. IMO, it seems like it has to do more with just losing. His team is underachieving and when he doesn't play they are currently winless. This is when the season begins. His team has a hill to climb but if anyone can do it I think the Rockets can.

Triple T's
02-20-2006, 06:42 PM
its a sad thing when an athelete of his stature is brought down by only what we can term as personal circumstances. then again he is human and we all go thourgh ruff times in our lives. what the all-stars, well at least the west anyway, wanted to do, to honor him was a very noble thing and shouldnt be looked at as a misguided attempt. these guys all from different cities and teams thought so much of him, to collectively do this as a unit, and i just wish they would have won the game. this speaks more to the brotherhood of NBA players more than anything i wish we had more of that unselfish attitude thoughout professional sports.

Murphy3
02-20-2006, 06:57 PM
I wouldn't say that they all thought so highly of him..only those that monopolized the ball and continuously fed him.

With that being said, I've always liked TMac a little.... much moreso than selfish bastards such as Kobe, AI, or Vince Carter.

Dirkenstien
02-20-2006, 07:09 PM

Oh you know. The one that got away.

;)

HexNBA
02-20-2006, 07:51 PM
If I'd take a guess I'd say its health related to his newly born baby. Like requiring open heart surgery or something.

dirt_dobber
02-20-2006, 07:53 PM
The Escape Goat
The Azazel goat (pronounced in Hebrew as aw-zah-zale), translated as scapegoat in the King James Version, was one of two goats chosen for a ceremony on the Day of Atonement. The first goat was sacrificed, while the scapegoat was taken out into the wilderness and released.

(Thank you google)

twelli
02-20-2006, 09:10 PM
Kobe didn't score much points in the all-star game, but he did score some points in the nice-guy department for sharing the ball.

as for T-Mac, I kind of enjoy watching him. his low-arch 3s with defenders all over him are just sick.

when the Rocks played in Sacramento the last time, he was chatting with the Maloof brothers while the play was delayed for some reason, that was kind of funny.

he's one of the more likeable players in the NBA for sure.

as for his problems, just further proof that happiness can't be bought for any money of the world. that's why I don't play lottery, though I wouldn't mind playing in the NBA...

Dtownsfinest
02-20-2006, 10:32 PM
I kind of enjoy watching him. his low-arch 3s with defenders all over him are just sick.

Easily one of the prettiest shots in the league. Especially in that San Antonio game where he scored like 13 points in a minute. Those 3's were a thing of beauty. It was like the shots didn't have arch at all.

Drbio
02-20-2006, 10:39 PM
The Escape Goat
The Azazel goat (pronounced in Hebrew as aw-zah-zale), translated as scapegoat in the King James Version, was one of two goats chosen for a ceremony on the Day of Atonement. The first goat was sacrificed, while the scapegoat was taken out into the wilderness and released.

(Thank you google)

You looked that up in TMacs eye?

V2M
02-21-2006, 09:17 AM
MJ probably had the lowest arching 18 foot jumpers... but beyond the arc there's none better than T-Mac.

Drbio
02-24-2006, 09:49 PM
ESPN is reporting that the Rockets have given TMac a leave of absence to deal with a death in the family. No other details yet.

mary
02-24-2006, 09:51 PM
According to the article I read, it was his mother-in-law.

Edit: Sorry, his fiancee's mother. I didn't realize he wasn't married.

MavKikiNYC
02-27-2006, 10:11 AM
Apparently he's back. Still not shooting worth a damn, but he's back.

Whatever it was doesn't appear to've been debilitating.