PDA

View Full Version : TNT NBA studio host Ernie Johnson has cancer

dirno2000
02-22-2006, 11:00 PM
TNT NBA studio host Ernie Johnson has cancer

TNT's Ernie Johnson | Feb. 22, 2006

Turner Sports Studio Host Ernie Johnson has revealed that he is dealing with cancer.

Many NBA viewers who saw All-Star weekend noticed that Johnson had an issue of some kind with his face, prompting lots of discussion from InsideHoops.com readers about his health.

Today, Ernie Johnson explained his situation in a statement:

“Two and a half years ago, in August of 2003, I was diagnosed with "follicular" Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. This is a low-grade and treatable cancer--not as aggressive as some other forms. The approach that my oncologist recommended was what is called "watchful waiting"--that is, monitoring my condition with checkups every 4 months with the option to begin treatment if and when I began showing symptoms of illness. Through all this time I have had no symptoms...have felt great... and still do to this day.

The only reason I'm bringing my condition to your attention now is because the swelling of a lymph node near my left ear has become noticeable to viewers of TNT and there have been questions asked. My plan is to work the rest of the NBA season and playoffs, go to the beach with my wife, Cheryl, and our 4 kids, and start a treatment regimen in late June, which will likely include chemotherapy. And then I'll go back to work.

I draw much inspiration for what lies ahead from within my own family. My mother, Lois, and my sister, Dawn are both cancer survivors.

And finally, I can't say enough about the care and encouragement I've received from the staff at the Winship Cancer Institute at Emory in Atlanta, and in particular Dr. Leonard Heffner. My family and I have the utmost confidence in their abilities. And we continue, as we always have, in both good times and bad, to place our faith in Jesus Christ, and to trust God...period.”

EJ is in his 16th year with Turner Sports and currently hosts TNT’s NBA and PGA golf coverage, as well as TBS’ Pac-10 and Big-12 college football package. He earned a 2001 Sports Emmy for Best Studio Host/Personality for his work on TNT’s NBA studio show. InsideHoops.com wishes Johnson a complete, healthy recovery.

http://insidehoops.com/ernie-johnson-022206.shtml

alby
02-22-2006, 11:32 PM
I was wondering what that lump was... =\

orangedays
02-23-2006, 02:33 PM
Obviously, from a personal perspective, I wish him all the best and hope he has a full recovery. From a fan's perspective, it's a shame that he'll be gone - I think he's a fantastic TV personality and often the sole voice of reason when Barkley and/or Kenny are acting up. He has to manage numerous personalities on the show at once and be the straight man for Chuck's little comedy routine (a harder job than it looks no doubt), it must be tough to gauge when Barkley's going to say something funny vs. something downright offensive. All the best to Ernie and his family, the fans are poorer for the loss.

MavKikiNYC
02-23-2006, 03:07 PM
Obviously, from a personal perspective, I wish him all the best and hope he has a full recovery. From a fan's perspective, it's a shame that he'll be gone - I think he's a fantastic TV personality and often the sole voice of reason when Barkley and/or Kenny are acting up. He has to manage numerous personalities on the show at once and be the straight man for Chuck's little comedy routine (a harder job than it looks no doubt), it must be tough to gauge when Barkley's going to say something funny vs. something downright offensive. All the best to Ernie and his family, the fans are poorer for the loss.

My plan is to work the rest of the NBA season and playoffs, go to the beach with my wife, Cheryl, and our 4 kids, and start a treatment regimen in late June, which will likely include chemotherapy. And then I'll go back to work.

Uhm....he's not going to stop working. And reports of his demise are premature and greatly exaggerated.

orangedays
02-23-2006, 03:13 PM

Uhm....he's not going to stop working. And reports of his demise are premature and greatly exaggerated.

Right, I was going off the most recent article:

Turner NBA host Ernie Johnson has lymphoma

ATLANTA -- Turner Sports studio host Ernie Johnson has lymphoma, but plans to work through the end of the NBA season before beginning treatment in June.

The 49-year-old broadcaster said he was diagnosed 2½ years ago with a form of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, which he termed "low grade and treatable."

Johnson said he feels fine but decided to make his condition public because the swelling of a lymph node near his left ear had become noticeable to viewers, prompting questions. He said he most likely will undergo chemotherapy.

"I draw much inspiration for what lies ahead from within my own family," he said. "My mother, Lois, and my sister, Dawn, are both cancer survivors."

Johnson is in his 16th year with Turner Sports and hosts the network's NBA and PGA golf coverage among other assignments.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2341340

Seemed as if he was going to stop working for a bit after this season, we'll see. Anyways, still all the best to him.

Drbio
02-23-2006, 03:19 PM
Follicular lymphoma is very treatable. As a matter of fact if you are diagnosed with cancer this is the one you hope they diagnose it as. My mother suffers from the same thing. Ernie, mom and those like them are fine with treatment.

Dirkenstien
02-23-2006, 04:25 PM
I wish him all the best and a rapid recovery.