PDA

View Full Version : Michael Finley Tracking Thread

Dtownsfinest
03-07-2006, 12:30 AM
This thread is just for Fin fans. Ever since the all star break Fin's performances have been like:

Feb. 27 against NY: 8/8 from field for 22 points, 4 boards, steal and 3 assists in 22 minutes of play.
March 2 against Dallas: 5/9 for 15 points, 3 boards, steal and 2 assists in 24 minutes of play.
March 4 against Portland: 3/8 for 9 points, 4 boards and 2 assists.
March 6 against LA: 8/11 for 22 points, 1 board, 1 assist in 26 minutes of play.
March 7 against Clipps: 8 points, 5 boards and 3 assists in 24 minutes of play.
March 9 against Suns : 1 point and 5 boards in 23 minutes of play.
March 10 against LAkers: 16 points, 9 boards, 1 assist, 4-5 from 3 in 29 minutes of play.
March 12 against Hou: 6-12 for 15 points, 5 boards and 2 assists plus a nasty, nasty dunk over Yao in 26 minutes of play.

MavsFanFinley
03-07-2006, 12:38 AM
7 games since the all-star break and he's shooting almost 52% from the field and almost 61% from three point land. His ft shooting is down from his season average but still respectable at 79%. He's also doing this with just under 9 shots a game and logging only 24 minutes.

He's certainly been up and down this season but it looks like he's getting ready for the playoffs.

Dtownsfinest
03-07-2006, 12:52 AM
Yea that's what's so interesting about this little run of his. This is usually the time he starts to peak and starts to go through his little slumps. Everyone sort of dismissed him earlier in the season but he's starting to throw together a couple of solid games. He's doing it all in minimum minutes as well. I never thought i'd see Fin score 20+ points in less than 30 minutes of play coming off th bench.

Dtownsfinest
03-11-2006, 12:41 AM
March 10 against LAkers: 16 points, 9 boards, 1 assist, 4-5 from 3

MavsFanFinley
03-11-2006, 12:42 AM
He never played that well against the Lakers for us.

Dtownsfinest
03-11-2006, 01:01 AM
Never lol. It looks like he's finally getting it with the Spurs system. I was watching his defense the other day against the Suns and he didn't look like a 33 year old at all. He was d'ing up like he did in his short time as a Sun. Its funny he didn't want to play under AJ's system. Playing some damn good defense out there. His shot is consistently falling as well. I guess he doesn't have to create his own shot anymore.

Bookit
03-11-2006, 09:30 AM
March 10 against LAkers: 16 points, 9 boards, 1 assist, 4-5 from 3

I watched the entire game. Yes, Finley was hitting his 3 pointers. But, on the fast break, he tried to drive to the hoop and Smush Parker stole the ball and went the other way. :D

Note to Finley. Never put the ball on the floor.

Dtownsfinest
03-11-2006, 11:49 AM
I watched the entire game. Yes, Finley was hitting his 3 pointers. But, on the fast break, he tried to drive to the hoop and Smush Parker stole the ball and went the other way. :D

Note to Finley. Never put the ball on the floor.

I've never been safe with Finley going to the basket unless it was a dunk. Like earlier this year he had a dunk on a fast break over Travis Outlaw. Fin's my man but that dude can't hit a layup on the break to save his life. But if he's going to be hitting like he has been recently from the field than i'm sure Spurs fans won't mind lol.

Dtownsfinest
03-12-2006, 06:18 PM
15 points, 5 boards and 2 assists. Looks like Mike is getting ready for the playoffs.

MavsFanFinley
03-13-2006, 12:23 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/playerSplits?categoryId=71171

Dtown, check this site out. Scroll to the bottom and you can see Fin's stats pre/post all-star break.

Dtownsfinest
03-13-2006, 02:16 AM
Coo site. I tried searching for a site like that but could never find one.

MavsFanFinley
03-29-2006, 12:15 AM
Finley was named player of the game tonight as the Spurs dismissed the Clippers. Without Tony Parker as he has a bruised shin. 32 assists on 36 made fg.

28min, 6-8, 4-5, 4-4, 20pts, 3rbs, 2as, 3to, 1stl

orangedays
03-29-2006, 12:28 AM
Very efficient night for Fin, good to see.

Wow, that's really interesting. Parker = fewer assists?

Manu had 9, good stuff. Duncan seems to be somewhat on the comeback trail.

Dtownsfinest
03-29-2006, 12:55 AM
Yea with Parker out I wasn't sure how the Spurs would respond. I sort of thought Parker was the key to their car. Another 20 point performance by Mike. If it wasn't for Finley the Mavs would be up atleast 5 games to the Spurs.

chumdawg
03-29-2006, 01:49 AM
Finley was named player of the game tonight as the Spurs dismissed the Clippers. Without Tony Parker as he has a bruised shin. 32 assists on 36 made fg.

28min, 6-8, 4-5, 4-4, 20pts, 3rbs, 2as, 3to, 1stlAnd here I thought Stackhouse had a good night.

orangedays
03-29-2006, 02:14 AM
Finley for Sixth Man of the Year?

Dtownsfinest
03-29-2006, 03:40 AM
Finley for Sixth Man of the Year?

A couple of days ago I tried to compare Fin's stats to other 6th men around the league and its hard to really get a grasp of who actually comes off the bench. I'm not sure if Gordon still comes off the bench in Chicago but he puts up pretty good stats for a starter let a lone a bench player. Stack's in a slump so I don't know how much it hurt his chances but his stats outside of his shooting don't look half bad.

orangedays
03-29-2006, 08:39 AM
I would just look at the numbers of games started relative to the number of games played. Gordon has 41 GS relative to 69 G, so I think he's probably out of the running. Stack definitely qualifies but he's only played 45 games and I'm not sure if that's enough for him to qualify (by the end of the season). Fin's started 18 of 66 games, I'm not sure if that's a low enough ratio to qualify (though I'm eyeballing it).

Your point is valid though, if Stack/Fin were running against each other you'd have to give it to Stack - more ppg, more asts, he's shooting around the same (though Fin has him beat by an extra shot in 10 from beyond the arc...no surprise there), more stls, in the same number of minutes. Other candidates (off the top of my head) could be Mo Williams, Speedy Claxton, Jamal Crawford, Antoine Walker (yuck), Matt Harpring...that's all I can think of now.

MavsFanFinley
04-13-2006, 02:32 PM
Finley's reserve role fits him well with Spurs

Web Posted: 04/13/2006 12:00 AM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

After spurning an offer to play with friend and former teammate Steve Nash in Phoenix's fun-loving offense as well as a more lucrative deal to line up alongside Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade in Miami Michael Finley's decision to sign with the Spurs last summer raised a few eyebrows and a lot of questions.

How would Finley adjust to coming off the bench? To receiving fewer minutes and shots? To playing with an interior presence like Tim Duncan? To predicating his game on defense?

Seven months later, the answer to each appears to be the same: just fine.

Finley provided further evidence he's grown more comfortable with his reserve role when he scored 17 points to help beat Seattle on Tuesday. Over the past 23 games, he's averaged 11.6 points while shooting 46.6 percent, including 44.9 percent behind the 3-point line.

That's a noticeable improvement from the first 50 games Finley played for the Spurs when he averaged 9.3 points while making 38.1 percent of his shots (34.9 percent of his 3-point attempts).

"I know what the team is looking for from me," Finley said. "I'm just going out there and doing those things."

That's good news for the Spurs, who have had trouble in recent years finding a consistent scorer off the bench. Hedo Turkoglu never settled into the role and was moved into the starting lineup midway through the 2003-04 season to boost his confidence. Brent Barry, likewise, struggled for much of his first 1 1/2 seasons with the team.

Finley's transition also hasn't been easy. Prior to joining the Spurs, he had started his previous 605 games. A volume shooter for much of his career, on some nights he has had to learn to survive with only a handful of shots.

"Especially early in the year I felt I could have given a lot more effort if I had more opportunities," Finley said. "But I had to sit back and look at the big picture, and say this is not a one-, two-, three-game stint. I'm here for the long haul."

Finley tried to stay positive while working to learn the system. Coach Gregg Popovich experimented starting him after Manu Ginobili hurt his right foot. Recognizing the chemistry Ginobili had with the other starters, Finley eventually asked to go back to the bench.

"He's one of the great professionals in the league," Popovich said. "He's willing to be one of those pieces that help a team fit together."

To do so, Finley needed to improve his defense. He also has had to, in his words, "re-evaluate my offensive tendencies."

"I'm coming from a helter-skelter type offense," he said of his tenure under former Dallas coach Don Nelson, "where the first opportunity to hoist up what you consider a good shot is not the same here."

Coming off the bench, Finley has tried to find a balance between being aggressive and not forcing shots. He has also better learned how to play off Duncan.

"Sometimes I think Nellie wasn't interested in him passing the ball at all," Bowen said. "To leave that and become disciplined to the point where you realize, 'OK, maybe now is not the time to take one in transition' ... him getting that is huge."

Beginning in mid January, Finley endured a difficult 16-game stretch in which he shot 32.2 percent overall and 30 percent from the 3-point line. He broke out with a 22-point game against New York on Feb.27, making all eight of his shots, including five 3-pointers.

Finley has since continued to produce. Tuesday's victory gave the Spurs a 28-6 record (.823) when he scores at least 10 points. They've won all seven games when he has contributed 20.

The Spurs also have been impressed with Finley's sense of timing. Of the Spurs' last 12 quarters, three ended with him burying a 3-pointer in the closing seconds.

"Especially down the stretch, he's been big," Duncan said. "You can't leave him alone and even if you don't he's going to hit those shots anyway."

Finley now hopes his improvement continues into the playoffs. After playing with bone chips in his right ankle last season, he feels healthier than a year ago. He also seems to have grown more comfortable with the decision he made last summer.

"I had a lot of what-ifs," he said. "But then I look at the big picture. This team is a team that's going places."

Dtownsfinest
04-14-2006, 04:47 AM
"Especially down the stretch, he's been big," Duncan said. "You can't leave him alone and even if you don't he's going to hit those shots anyway."

Nice comment from Duncan. Great article. Thanks for posting.

MavsFanFinley
04-26-2006, 02:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXixmaZDSPA&search=michael%20finley

Oh man. Talk about a walk down memory lane. If the link doesn't work (which it should cause I checked it) go to youtube.com and type in Finley's name. There are 2 clips.

1 is the cartwheel dunk from the slam dunk contest from way back when.

And the link provided is a mix tape of Fin highlights. It has the dunks over David Robinson, Karl Malone, Olden Polynice, Yao Ming (the first one) and many others that I had forgotten about. You've got the circus shots, 3 pointers, and even a few buzzer beaters.

There must be 20 highlights or so. The quality on some of them are a little bad but damn worth it to watch. Enjoy.

Dtownsfinest
04-26-2006, 02:34 PM
Youtube quality sucks. Yinka finally got around to doing a Finley highliht reel. Finley=the most exciting player to watch in Mavs history. Thanks for that link. Its a little quiet in here though MFF lol. Think we're the only ones who come to his thread. The Finley hate still is alive and well lol. Mike showed a little of Dominque Wilkins and Michael Jordan in those clips. If those weren't such losing seaons i'd miss the good ol' days lol.

That Olden Polynice dunk was vicious. Goodness. From beating his man off the dribble to the dunk.

chumdawg
04-27-2006, 01:03 AM
It hurts my heart to watch that mix. It really does, hurt my heart. The dunk over Malone was viscious. It was far more crinimal than the T-Mac dunk over Bradley in last year's playoffs.

But that wasn't the thing that did it for me. It was the last-second three against Utah to send the game to overtime. Anyone can make a three, and a few guys can make a three when the team needs nothing but a three with time expiring. But did you catch who Finley was bumping chests with? Courtney Alexander, for one. Courtney-freakin'-Alexander.

It was five years ago--FIVE YEARS!--that Dirk and Nash were pups and we had guys like Courtney Alexander on the court at the end of games. Courtney Alexander! This was only five years ago. And who was the shepherd leading the meek through the valley of darkness? Michael Finley, that's who.

My own guess, humble as it is, says that the far majority of current Mavs fans don't know anything about the greatness that was Michael Finley.

The guy single-handedly--SINGLE-HANDEDLY--carried this franchise on his broad shoulders for several years.

Indiana loves their Reggie Miller. Current Mavs fans know nothing of Michael Finley.

Mavs fans--just by their nature, as denizens of DFW--don't have any appreciation of days gone by. Mike Finley suffered this franchise through very hard times. He was the sole beacon of light in a sky filled with darkness. He carried the torch, very much by himself, until guys like Nash and Nowitzki could take it over from him.

He singlehandedly won games when the likes of Courtney Alexander shared the floor with him. And when Nash and Nowitzki shined their own lights, he gracefully stepped behind them.

Aguirre and Blackman gave the Mavs their all. But they did so in pursuit of a championship. And they did so with the support of each other. Mike Finley supported the Mavs on his own, with no hint of a championship in sight. No Robin to his Batman. Only Courtney Alexander. But he still gave the Mavs his all, each and every time he took the Dallas court.

If the Mavs fold up busines on this day, the face of the franchise is not Aguirre or Blackman or Harper or Davis or Nash or Nowitzki. The face of the franchise is Michael Finley.

Drbio
04-27-2006, 08:48 AM
Good post chummy

sixeightmkw
04-27-2006, 09:09 AM
yep, Fin was greatness for a while here. I loved watching him. I don't know about the whole face of the franchise though. I have a long history of Mavs love in me and he would be on the list, but not at the top.

Dtownsfinest
04-29-2006, 01:53 AM
It hurts my heart to watch that mix. It really does, hurt my heart. The dunk over Malone was viscious. It was far more crinimal than the T-Mac dunk over Bradley in last year's playoffs.

But that wasn't the thing that did it for me. It was the last-second three against Utah to send the game to overtime. Anyone can make a three, and a few guys can make a three when the team needs nothing but a three with time expiring. But did you catch who Finley was bumping chests with? Courtney Alexander, for one. Courtney-freakin'-Alexander.

It was five years ago--FIVE YEARS!--that Dirk and Nash were pups and we had guys like Courtney Alexander on the court at the end of games. Courtney Alexander! This was only five years ago. And who was the shepherd leading the meek through the valley of darkness? Michael Finley, that's who.

My own guess, humble as it is, says that the far majority of current Mavs fans don't know anything about the greatness that was Michael Finley.

The guy single-handedly--SINGLE-HANDEDLY--carried this franchise on his broad shoulders for several years.

Indiana loves their Reggie Miller. Current Mavs fans know nothing of Michael Finley.

Mavs fans--just by their nature, as denizens of DFW--don't have any appreciation of days gone by. Mike Finley suffered this franchise through very hard times. He was the sole beacon of light in a sky filled with darkness. He carried the torch, very much by himself, until guys like Nash and Nowitzki could take it over from him.

He singlehandedly won games when the likes of Courtney Alexander shared the floor with him. And when Nash and Nowitzki shined their own lights, he gracefully stepped behind them.

Aguirre and Blackman gave the Mavs their all. But they did so in pursuit of a championship. And they did so with the support of each other. Mike Finley supported the Mavs on his own, with no hint of a championship in sight. No Robin to his Batman. Only Courtney Alexander. But he still gave the Mavs his all, each and every time he took the Dallas court.

If the Mavs fold up busines on this day, the face of the franchise is not Aguirre or Blackman or Harper or Davis or Nash or Nowitzki. The face of the franchise is Michael Finley.

One of the best posts i've ever read on this site. Especially your comments about Fin's importance to this franchise which can get overlooked easy. Mavs fans who joined the bandwaggon when Dirk became a All Star know nothing about what Finley was capable of. Easily the most exciting Maverick in franchise history.

nashtymavsfan13
04-29-2006, 02:01 AM
Great posts chumdawg. Mike Finley is truly unappreciated for what he did for this franchise.

MavsFanFinley
04-29-2006, 02:54 AM
The playoffs. Round 1 vs Sacramento Kings.

Game 1: 20min, 3-6, 2-3, 2-2, 10pts, 7rbs, 2as

Game 2: 29min, 4-8, 2-4, 2-2, 12pts, 2rbs, 3as

Game 3: 30min, 5-8, 4-7, 3-3, 17pts, 2rbs, 2as, 1stl, 1blk

Averages: 26min, 55% fg, 57% 3pt, 100% ft, 13ppg, 3.6rpg, 2.3apg

1 blk, 1stl, 0 to's

(7 shots per game)

jleefilled
04-29-2006, 03:05 AM
The playoffs. Round 1 vs Sacramento Kings.

Game 1: 20min, 3-6, 2-3, 2-2, 10pts, 7rbs, 2as

Game 2: 29min, 4-8, 2-4, 2-2, 12pts, 2rbs, 3as

Game 3: 30min, 5-8, 4-7, 3-3, 17pts, 2rbs, 2as, 1stl, 1blk

Averages: 26min, 55% fg, 57% 3pt, 100% ft, 13ppg, 3.6rpg, 2.3apg

1 blk, 1stl, 0 to's

(7 shots per game)

Wow, San Antonio fans must be loving them some Fin!

FINtastic
04-29-2006, 10:49 AM
He's really stepped up his game in the playoffs. That's turning out to be a good move for San Antonio.

Dtownsfinest
04-29-2006, 11:45 AM
Good stats. I think he would have been a 6th man of the year candidate had he understood the Spurs system a little earlier. Those 0-6 point games he had really hurt his average. He's unconscience from 3 right now. Its always bucket when he's shooting it. If i'm the Spurs i'm giving him atleast 10-12 shots a game. He's easily the best perimeter shooter on the team.

capitalcity
05-01-2006, 12:39 AM
That's the Mike Finley I know...

1-7 fg
0-3 3pt
1-3 ft

1 reb, 1 ast, 1 stl

Old bones, old bones, old bones...

MFFL
05-01-2006, 12:57 AM
That's the Mike Finley I know...

1-7 fg
0-3 3pt
1-3 ft

1 reb, 1 ast, 1 stl

Old bones, old bones, old bones...

LOL.

Sad, sad, sad.

No mention of Manu's bad night. Nor Horry. Nor Bowen. All Finley.

LOL.

capitalcity
05-01-2006, 01:13 AM
No mention of Manu's bad night. Nor Horry. Nor Bowen. All Finley.

LOL.Those guys suck too. When somebody starts a Manu/Bob/Thug tracking thread, I'll be sure to mention it.

Until then I'll have to crack on the thermos...

Dtownsfinest
05-01-2006, 01:30 AM
LOL. Thanks capitalcity though for coming about 30 games too late. Better yet, thanks for not showing up the other two games in this series. Its appreciated. What a joke.

capitalcity
05-01-2006, 01:35 AM
LOL. Thanks capitalcity though for coming about 30 games too late. Better yet, thanks for not showing up the other two games in this series. Its appreciated. What a joke.Don't let my observation ruin your 'Mike Finley's the greatest' circle jerk thread.

BTW, I hope you remembered to write off Mike's nuts as a dependent this year.

Drbio
05-01-2006, 09:04 AM
hahahaa....sorry, but that made me laugh.

dude1394
05-01-2006, 09:06 AM
hahahaa....sorry, but that made me laugh.

Me too...funnier than heck.

MavsFanFinley
05-01-2006, 10:11 AM
What a shock. I'm so stunned that a poster wouldn't come in here and say anything while Finley was playing well. 1 bad game out of 4 and he's the first poster to point it out.

The nut joke isn't as funny as you are.

Let me add that it's fine you don't want to recognize him when he's playing well. I don't care what your beef is with him but you rag on us for hanging on his nuts? You're just as bad at posting something when he lays an egg. You're just as quick to post something negative as we are to post something positive. I'm not sure how that makes you much better than us.

Dtownsfinest
05-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Don't let my observation ruin your 'Mike Finley's the greatest' circle jerk thread.

Seems your a little tense. Does it pain you to see Finley having success for one of the best teams in the league? I'd expect more from a fellow Mav fan but not from a complete asshole so I guess i'm not that shocked.

Dtownsfinest
05-01-2006, 10:58 AM
What a shock. I'm so stunned that a poster wouldn't come in here and say anything while Finley was playing well. 1 bad game out of 4 and he's the first poster to point it out.

The nut joke isn't as funny as you are.

Let me add that it's fine you don't want to recognize him when he's playing well. I don't care what your beef is with him but you rag on us for hanging on his nuts? You're just as bad at posting something when he lays an egg. You're just as quick to post something negative as we are to post something positive. I'm not sure how that makes you much better than us.

I've noticed a handful of fans are upset that fellow Mavs fans are still fans of Finley and/or Nash. Why its any of their concern is beyond me. Better yet, why even come into a Michael Finley Tracking Thread in the first place lol?

sike
05-01-2006, 11:03 AM
"why even come into a Michael Finley Tracking Thread in the first place lol?"
or perhaps, "Why there even IS a Michael Finley Tracking Thread?"

Dtownsfinest
05-01-2006, 11:04 AM
"why even come into a Michael Finley Tracking Thread in the first place lol?"
or perhaps, "Why there even IS a Michael Finley Tracking Thread?"

To track Michael Finley's success? :confused:

u2sarajevo
05-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Fan jealousy is humorous. In the case of Nash it's pretty easily understood. He could have stayed in Dallas.... he chose not to. Finley is another story. He was cut by our team to get cap relief. It's not like he left us to go to the Spurs. He fought for this team when we were the laughing stock of the League.

What have you done for me lately, I guess. This is a me me me me me world we live in.

It makes me sad to see fans turn a blind eye to a good guy trying to do good for himself.

Drbio
05-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Fan jealousy is humorous. In the case of Nash it's pretty easily understood. He could have stayed in Dallas.... he chose not to. Finley is another story. He was cut by our team to get cap relief. It's not like he left us to go to the Spurs. He fought for this team when we were the laughing stock of the League.

What have you done for me lately, I guess. This is a me me me me me world we live in.

It makes me sad to see fans turn a blind eye to a good guy trying to do good for himself.
Nice post.

I hope for the best for Mike EXCEPT when he plays the Mavericks. Otherwise, strap 'em up and kick ass Mike. More power to him. He was the reason a lot of us continued to watch during some bad years.

sike
05-01-2006, 12:34 PM
To track Michael Finley's success? :confused:
well ok.

I guess I'm one of the few way back fans that never fell head over heels in crazy love with Fin....though I always appreciated his heart and his jump shot I'd rather have a Jason Kidd tracking thread...

I don't mean to down play his time as a Mav or him as a man, because I liked him as a player and even more as a man.

but I don't get the continual manlove that so many persistently express...good playerman, yes. my best friend? nope.

EricaLubarsky
05-01-2006, 12:38 PM
my best friend? nope.
I'm glad to hear that you finally understand that. Your parole officer will be too. ;)

sike
05-01-2006, 12:45 PM
I'm glad to hear that you finally understand that. Your parole officer will be too. ;)
hey, if Mike Finley doesn't know true love when he has it roughly rubbed in his face thats not my fault...so say I....not the courts. :(

Dtownsfinest
05-01-2006, 01:30 PM
well ok.

I guess I'm one of the few way back fans that never fell head over heels in crazy love with Fin....though I always appreciated his heart and his jump shot I'd rather have a Jason Kidd tracking thread...

I don't mean to down play his time as a Mav or him as a man, because I liked him as a player and even more as a man.

but I don't get the continual manlove that so many persistently express...good playerman, yes. my best friend? nope.

Maybe if Kidd was the professional Finley was he'd still be a Mav 'till this day. I wouldn't say I have a manlove for Finley. I'm just a fan of his. I'm sure if Dirk was traded he'd stil havs fans in Dallas. If you can just give up liking a player because of his departure from the hometown team than its evident you never liked him in the ifrst place. And that's fine. I haven't been fond of every player to wear a Mavs jersey. Stackhouse especially.

sike
05-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Maybe if Kidd was the professional Finley was he'd still be a Mav 'till this day. I wouldn't say I have a manlove for Finley. I'm just a fan of his. I'm sure if Dirk was traded he'd stil havs fans in Dallas. If you can just give up liking a player because of his departure from the hometown team than its evident you never liked him in the ifrst place. And that's fine. I haven't been fond of every player to wear a Mavs jersey. Stackhouse especially.
it is not true that I "never liked" Fin. It is true that I liked his game less and less as he worked hard at becoming a very one-dimensional player the last several seasons. Except for last season where I saw a lack of willingness to sacrifice personal numbers for the betterment of the team, I always "liked Fin".

I suppose unlike other "fans" my dedication to the Mavs has very little to do with whether or not they are winning at the time. Fin was great for this team. But did leave a sour taste in my mouth last season. As I said, I will remember Finley the man with higher regard than Finley the player.

Dtownsfinest
05-01-2006, 02:00 PM
Except for last season where I saw a lack of willingness to sacrifice personal numbers for the betterment of the team, I always "liked Fin".

Playing on a hurt ankle showed you that he put himself first over the team?

But did leave a sour taste in my mouth last season. As I said, I will remember Finley the man with higher regard than Finley the player.

I understand what you are saying but I don't understand why you feel the way you do towards Finley. It seems your impression of Finley is that he's a Sprewell type. As far as i'm concerned Finley the person is the same guy that entered the NBA in '95. Due to age he's been forced to change his game a bit.

sike
05-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Playing on a hurt ankle showed you that he put himself first over the team?
reports of unwillingness to come off the bench and play less minutes is what I was refering to.

I understand what you are saying but I don't understand why you feel the way you do towards Finley. It seems your impression of Finley is that he's a Sprewell type. As far as i'm concerned Finley the person is the same guy that entered the NBA in '95. Due to age he's been forced to change his game a bit.
that is not my impression of Fin at all. and as I clearly indicated twice, I belive Fin to be a good guy. How in the world did you get Spree out of any of my comments?

dude1394
05-01-2006, 04:09 PM
I've noticed a handful of fans are upset that fellow Mavs fans are still fans of Finley and/or Nash. Why its any of their concern is beyond me. Better yet, why even come into a Michael Finley Tracking Thread in the first place lol?

And the converse is true. Why its any of the supporters concern as well. Your point about trolling this thread is valid but it occurs in the other threads as well.

The Crippler
05-01-2006, 09:57 PM
The one thing that bothers me when people talk about Finley is when they say "look how much he did for the franchise by sticking with them when they were bad" or somesuch...

He got a MAX deal, more than anyone else could offer. it's not like he did it out of the goodness of his heart or gave the mavs a "home team discount."

Personally, I'm indifferent on Mike finley. I wanted him gone more than two years ago as I believed his skills were diminishing and he was not allowing the team to progress as long as he was on the roster. I liked him as a mav player though, so basically I could care less about him. I do believe he is one of the worst defenders as a 2/3 in the league though...and it's not because of lack of talent. It is a lack of effort, and for that I have no love for him.

chumdawg
05-02-2006, 10:30 PM
In case you guys aren't watching, Michael Finley is single-handedly kicking the crap out of the Kings in this crucial stage of the game.

I know the threes and long two's are sexy, but that assist to Barry was maybe his play of the game thus far.

Drbio
05-02-2006, 10:32 PM
Finley is playing some damn fine ball.

u2sarajevo
05-02-2006, 11:00 PM
I liked his 2 free throws after the foul by Bibby that iced the game.

:)

The Crippler
05-02-2006, 11:13 PM
fin with a very solid game 5. stepped up when the time was right.

chumdawg
05-18-2006, 02:30 PM
http://members.aol.com/jchumley3/fin2.htm

Thespiralgoeson
05-18-2006, 02:42 PM
That just pisses me off. It really does. I don't remember EVER seeing him dunk like that in his last season as a Maverick. And all of a sudden he does it two times in this series alone. Him and Nash both. As if the Mavericks weren't worth their full effort....

It's like Shaq losing all that weight after he got traded to Miami. I bet if Jerry Buss knew Shaq was going to lose 60 lbs he might've thought twice about trading him.

madape
05-18-2006, 02:43 PM
So Shawn Bradley gets dunked on by Tracey McGrady in his prime and gets ridiculed to no end. An over the hill Michael Finley throws a nasty one down this year and no one seems to remember who's head it was on.

There are even some Mav fans who think that Dampier is having a good series defensively. If getting eaten alive by Tim Duncan weren't enough, you would think something like this dunk would be enough to open their eyes. I've heard nothing from the Dampier lovers.. but then again I admit I stopped listening a long time ago.

Flip41
05-18-2006, 02:47 PM
He had a sprained ankle that bothered him all year remember.

Dtownsfinest
05-18-2006, 02:50 PM
Give Fin his credit. Dampier or no other center can do anything about Finley when he jump stops in the lane and pulls back his dunk. Ask Yao Ming. Fin dunked on him twice. Fin also dunked on Josh Howard the night.

chumdawg
05-18-2006, 02:55 PM
You talking about this one?

http://members.aol.com/jchumley3/fin

MFFL
05-18-2006, 03:16 PM
That just pisses me off. It really does. I don't remember EVER seeing him dunk like that in his last season as a Maverick. And all of a sudden he does it two times in this series alone... As if the Mavericks weren't worth their full effort.

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/8739896

"Finley had arthroscopic surgery in June to remove bone chips from his right ankle, which bothered him most of the season and even made him miss 15 games before Christmas."

But I will admit that Finley rarely dunked even the season before that. Maybe once a month or so. Never two in two games.

As Barkley said "That looks like the old Finley and not the OLD Finley".

Dtownsfinest
05-18-2006, 03:22 PM
You talking about this one?

http://members.aol.com/jchumley3/fin

Yessur lol. I'm noticing a lot that Fin is being more aggressive when he's going to the rack. Ever since he attempted to go up soft against Stackhouse it seems he's been going for the dunk lately. I think that's when Fin's at his best. Going for the dunk and not the layup.

EricaLubarsky
05-18-2006, 03:29 PM
I dont know why we didnt take advantage of him more. Howard went by Finley at will when he tried driving.

Dtownsfinest
05-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Well when after Bowen got his 3rd foul or when Pop took him out of the game Finley was on Dirk for most of the night. He spent time on Terry and that ended up in Terry scoring on him everytime. He's played defense on Dirk pretty well.

chumdawg
05-18-2006, 05:36 PM
You mean more aggressive, like this?

http://members.aol.com/jchumley3/fin4.htm

chumdawg
05-18-2006, 05:37 PM
Or aggressive like this?

http://members.aol.com/jchumley3/fin3.htm

EricaLubarsky
05-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Viggenja?

rabbitproof
05-18-2006, 06:27 PM
Some people are enjoying our Mavericks being dunked on a bit too much.

dude1394
05-18-2006, 07:37 PM
Mike can now officially kiss my ass.

chumdawg
05-19-2006, 11:38 PM
Game Six last year, Nash buries the Mavs with a three. Game Six this year, Fin does.

Was it worth $50MM, Mark? Was it worth fifty million?

MFFL
05-19-2006, 11:44 PM
Game Six last year, Nash buries the Mavs with a three. Game Six this year, Fin does.

Think about if we had cut Stack instead. We would have been out only 35 million then and we would be free of Stack.

Save 50 million and keep Stack or ONLY save 15 million and get rid of Stack...

Hmm

MFFL
05-19-2006, 11:44 PM
double

madape
05-19-2006, 11:47 PM
So how long before someone posts "Finley dunks on Dampier's head" part II?

chumdawg
05-19-2006, 11:56 PM
So how long before someone posts "Finley dunks on Dampier's head" part II?Just as long as until I get the pictures.

chumdawg
05-19-2006, 11:58 PM
Think about if we had cut Stack instead. We would have been out only 35 million then and we would be free of Stack.

HmmInteresting question. Fin goes 6-for-10, with 16 points and a dagger that we couldn't ever get around. Stack goes 4-for-15, with ten points.

But I'm sure Stack did all the little things.

Drbio
05-20-2006, 12:13 AM
Screw Mike Finley up his ass, but here is your damn pic.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060520/capt.c68bd1746da14b8cb86e02b6c633af44.spurs_maveri cks_basketball_dna123.jpg

rabbitproof
05-20-2006, 12:17 AM
Well, there it was... it was about time, a vintage ex haunts the team game.

Now that is out the way, let me say that anybody who is taking any pleasure in Mike Finley taking it to the Mavs can go hump themselves a hole in the ground.

madape
05-20-2006, 12:38 AM

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060520/capt.c68bd1746da14b8cb86e02b6c633af44.spurs_maveri cks_basketball_dna123.jpg

haha, thanks.

I probably shouldn't enjoy that as much as I do.

MavsFanFinley
05-20-2006, 01:05 AM
haha, thanks.

I probably shouldn't enjoy that as much as I do.

I understand completely. The Mavs may very well win game 7 but I can't help but enjoy Fin's big f*ck you to Cuban and the crowd for booing him.

chumdawg
05-20-2006, 01:25 AM

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060520/capt.c68bd1746da14b8cb86e02b6c633af44.spurs_maveri cks_basketball_dna123.jpgDoc, while I certainly appreciate your efforts, I wanted a pic from GAME SIX. Not Game Five. Can you please try to keep up?

Drbio
05-20-2006, 01:37 AM
Well according to yahoo,it was tonights game. So enjoy it or don't. Beggars can't be choosers.

Drbio
05-20-2006, 01:39 AM
Hey chummy...your ass is wrong. Here is the caption. Perhaps you should try to keep up.

San Antonio Spurs' Michael Finley (4) dunks against Dallas Mavericks' Erick Dampier (25) in the third quarter in Game 6 of the NBA Western Conference semifinal basketball game in Dallas, Friday, May 19, 2006.
(AP Photo/Eric Gay)

chumdawg
05-20-2006, 02:06 AM
Are you saying that he did the same thing, two games in a row???

Drbio
05-20-2006, 02:08 AM
I'm saying the photo came from tonights game.

chumdawg
05-20-2006, 02:57 AM
Goodness, gracious. The guy must really have it in for us.

Or be pretty good, one or the other.

FINtastic
05-20-2006, 03:35 AM

Hmm

Man, could we have cut Stack? If we could, I really would like a do-over on that one.

Dtownsfinest
05-20-2006, 03:53 AM
Doc, while I certainly appreciate your efforts, I wanted a pic from GAME SIX. Not Game Five. Can you please try to keep up?

You know I thought that was Game 5 as well but looking at the jersey's that's definately last night's game. Dampier=Mike's bitch.

dude1394
05-20-2006, 11:15 AM
Mike wasn't worth wasting a foul on.

Dtownsfinest
05-20-2006, 01:19 PM
According to Terry he was worth being suspended for lol.

MavsFanFinley
05-20-2006, 02:39 PM
Mike wasn't worth wasting a foul on.

That's funny.

He blew by Stack, and hammered it down over Damp. AGAIN. They might want to consider it's worth fouling him instead of looking like idiots while he delivers the big f* you to the Mavs.

I just looked at the replay and had to edit my post. He didn't blow by Dirk like I originally thought. Dirk ran AWAY from Finley cause he knew what was coming. The look on his face after the dunk says it all.

Dtownsfinest
05-20-2006, 03:18 PM
And not to harp on my man Dirk because he put together one of the best performances i've ever seen from anyone in a Mavs uni but has anyone noticed that when one of our BIG's get dunked on its a result of whoever Dirk is guarding? Anyone remember the dunk known as the "retire" from T-Mac last year on Bradley? Dirk was guarding T-Mac on that play. In Game 5 Finley beat Dirk off the dribble. Last night i'm not sure what happened but Stack let Finley walk past him lol and Dirk didn't do much either.

Thespiralgoeson
05-20-2006, 05:30 PM
So Shawn Bradley gets dunked on by Tracey McGrady in his prime and gets ridiculed to no end. An over the hill Michael Finley throws a nasty one down this year and no one seems to remember who's head it was on.

There are even some Mav fans who think that Dampier is having a good series defensively. If getting eaten alive by Tim Duncan weren't enough, you would think something like this dunk would be enough to open their eyes. I've heard nothing from the Dampier lovers.. but then again I admit I stopped listening a long time ago.

Ape, is there someone else you think would be doing a better job on Tim Duncan? FYI, Diop ain't doing better than Damp is. Hell, the other night KVH picked up 4 fouls in 3 minutes guarding Duncan.

And you talk Duncan's having his way because Dampier is playing poorly. As if this isn't the same exact shit Duncan has been doing his entire career... Get a grip...

As for the Finley dunk, well, he's done that a few times in this series now. He's also done it over Dirk a couple of times. I suppose he's playing like shit too? He did it over Josh Howard as well. I suppose he's a poor defender?

Thespiralgoeson
05-20-2006, 05:32 PM

Chum, the Mavs weren't facing elimination in game 6 this season. And we WERE without Jason Terry, so I'm betting no, not worth 50 million.

dude1394
05-20-2006, 05:48 PM
That's funny.

He blew by Stack, and hammered it down over Damp. AGAIN. They might want to consider it's worth fouling him instead of looking like idiots while he delivers the big f* you to the Mavs.

I just looked at the replay and had to edit my post. He didn't blow by Dirk like I originally thought. Dirk ran AWAY from Finley cause he knew what was coming. The look on his face after the dunk says it all.

No it wasn't worth wasting a foul on as they were needed for duncan imo.

So now mike's the biggest baddest player ever and dirk's some sort of wuss. Man you really ARE on the wrong forum.

Dtownsfinest
05-20-2006, 06:42 PM
Dirk's no puss but he let it be known he doesn't want to end up on someones poster. That's why I liked Bradley. He contested every dunk that came his way regardless of being posterized. But after Dirk's showing last night for anyone who had a doubt of how tough Dirk was he shut their mouth.

MavsX
05-20-2006, 08:22 PM
i hate stackhouse, also i hate the spurs...unfortunately im starting to really hate finley too

bernardos70
05-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Doc, while I certainly appreciate your efforts, I wanted a pic from GAME SIX. Not Game Five. Can you please try to keep up?

OT: Is it really that hard to contest a dunk? I wonder because I see someone take it up strong and the swat's always off to the side. There's only a very small area where the dunker can dunk once he's airborne, but I see wanna-be-blockers completely miss the ball/arm of the dunker by a mile. Do they change their mind in the last second?

MavsFanFinley
05-20-2006, 09:39 PM
No it wasn't worth wasting a foul on as they were needed for duncan imo.

So now mike's the biggest baddest player ever and dirk's some sort of wuss. Man you really ARE on the wrong forum.

Yeah, that's what I said, huh. I stated that Fin was the best and Dirk was a wuss.

You expect Duncan to play well but when you let Finley make posters out of the Mavs you might >consider< using a foul to have him reconsider about taking it inside again.

Damp should have cleared out like Dirk did if he needed to save fouls for Duncan. His block attempt was weak anyway.