PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Trade Rumblings

Blonde Bomber
03-21-2002, 11:09 AM
It probably won't happen, but one trade rumor that won't die is a much-discussed blockbuster between Texas and Toronto. The Blue Jays would get third-base phenom Hank Blalock. The Rangers would wind up with Chris Carpenter and good-looking outfield prospect Vernon Wells, with other names possibly mixed in.

It's been denied on all sides. But Texas GM John Hart admits he would be interested in making a deal if he can get a No. 2 starter behind Chan Ho Park. And Blue Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi admits he's talking about a bunch of deals. Among those rumored: Shannon Stewart to the Yankees and Dan Plesac to the White Sox or Cubs. Stay tuned.

There are more rumors swirling around the Rangers than any other team this spring. The Mets and Rangers reportedly have talked about a two-for-two swap in which the Mets would get Gabe Kapler and live-armed reliever Luis Vizcaino (just picked up from Oakland). Texas would wind up with Jay Payton and Bruce Chen. When you see the Rangers looking into Vernon Wells and Jay Payton, it tells you all you need to know about their concerns about Carl Everett's ability to play center field. Everett had arthroscopic knee surgery in the offseason.

Then there is a possible Rangers deal with Baltimore in which the principals would be Vizcaino and Scott Erickson.

Another potential trade the Rangers reportedly could make if they decide to start Blalock at third (and he's done nothing this spring to make them think that's a bad idea): Mike Lamb to the Devil Rays, who are trying to upgrade the left side of their infield.

Texas is also trying to market Irabu anywhere. Good luck

nekked
03-21-2002, 11:43 AM
i'd be all for the carpenter and wells for blalock deal if tex was ready to step in and play third this year. a #2 (or 3) and a real cf (nothing against gabe) for a 3b when we have another good one waiting in the wings would be great. unfortunately, tex is at least a year away and will probably end up playing 1b now that pena is gone.

The Crippler
03-21-2002, 02:06 PM
the Toronto trade was discounted earlier this week. It was just Peter gammons blowing smoke up our ass again. He heard it from the Toronto Star (which is pretty much a rag), and decided to report it. Texas never had serious discussions about it...of course Toronto wanted that trade, Blaylock is gonna be a superstar.

Just a word of advice...you copied that article word for word from Jason Stark's article. You need to cite that so DJ doesn't get in trouble with plagarism. I know, the chances of that happening is slim, but just in case...PLEASE don't take offense to me saying this either!!

Murphy3
03-21-2002, 02:18 PM
blalock is going to be the next cornerstone player for this franchise.

key players actually being mentioned in trade ideas right now:
John Rocker (but only if zimmerman is healthy enough..the mets actually sent 3 scouts to watch rocker pitch)
Cat
Lamb
Kapler
Vizcaino

Rhylan
03-21-2002, 02:32 PM
Rocker to the Mets.... wow. That's like.... hmmm... what is that like? I can't come up with much of a parallel. That's like trading for a guy that scored the winning goal against you to win the Stanley Cup two years ago... oh wait. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif Two years ago he was the anti-Christ to the Mets.

I'm inclined to say that if he's doing well enough to be drawing interest from other clubs, the Rangers need the bullpen help enough to hang onto him, unless the deal is a steal.

Blonde Bomber
03-21-2002, 05:39 PM
No offense taken, Crippler.
Just forgot to cut & paste all of the article..hehe

I don't beleive we will trade Blalock anyway. He has to much promise right now.

The Crippler
03-21-2002, 06:34 PM
thanks BB...I thought that might have come off the wrong way. One last thing...If we trade Blaylock before seeing what he can do, I'm done as a Ranger fan. Too many heartbrakes...

Drbio
03-21-2002, 07:09 PM
Mark it down and highlight it...Blalock will not be traded from the Rangers. He is the starting 3B for us this year and will be for YEARS. Tex will be moved to first and should get his first cup of coffee in the bigs sometime late next year and full-time in '04.

The trade rumors involving Blalock are crap.

I hadn't heard the Rocker rumor. The Mets are inquiring daily about deals for Viz, Kapler, and one of the minor league pitchers out of Ramos, Lewis (who should NOT be moved) and Coco. I wouldn't mind seeing Bruce Chen in a Rangers uniform. Payton would be good insurance.

The Erickson deal is rumored to include Viz and Lanmb from what I am hearing. Tampa and Arizona have also inquired about Lamb. I would much rather trade Lamb than even think about trading Cat. If Cat goes...that would be bad.

The Sidney Ponson trade rumors are really picking up again as well. Lamb, Viz and a minorleaguer have been discussed. I don't want Erickson in any way...even for a bag of balls. He is in no way better than Woodward or Irabu. I don't see Irabu getting traded only because he is relatively cheap and would make a great long reliever and spot 5th starter. He leads the spring in wins right now.

Final thought...I cannot ever see a New York team picking up Rocker. The fans would revolt.

grbh
03-22-2002, 02:06 AM
Call it a hunch, but I don't thing significant will happen the remaineder of the session

Blonde Bomber
03-22-2002, 09:49 AM
I agree with the Dr. on this one.
I want no part of Erickson, but would like to try and trade for Ponson.
I've also heard that the Rangers are interested in Brad Penny from the Marlins.

I really think they need to move Vizcaino and Lamb and maybe another prospect for atleast a #3 starter. That would bump down Davis to #4 and
Valdes to #5.