PDA

View Full Version : A night of Injuries...McGrady, Childs, Iverson

MavsFanFinley
03-22-2002, 09:17 PM
Orlando's McGrady taken off court on stretcher

March 22, 2002

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Orlando guard Tracy McGrady was taken off the floor on a stretcher after injuring his back during the second quarter of the Magic's game against the Charlotte Hornets on Friday night.

McGrady drove the lane and was sandwiched between Charlotte's Robert Traylor and George Lynch. He appeared to land awkwardly, and immediately collapsed face-down under the basket.

McGrady didn't move for several minutes, and emergency medical personnel gingerly lifted him into a stretcher and wheeled him off the court.

McGrady suffered severe back spasms and was taken to Florida Hospital for an MRI exam and further evaluation, team spokesman Joel Glass said. McGrady missed three games in December with a lower back strain.

McGrady and Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers are the NBA's only players to be averaging at least 25 points, five rebounds and five assists per game. McGrady entered Friday's game with numbers of 25.7 points, 7.7 rebounds and 5.3 assists.

In 10 games in March before Friday, McGrady was averaging 30.1 points, 8.1 rebounds and 6.2 assists. He scored a career-high 50 points against Washington on March 8, and handed out a career-high 13 assists four games later.

Against Charlotte, McGrady had 11 points and four rebounds in 14 minutes.

Entering Friday's game, Orlando had a record of 37-30 and was in fourth place in the Eastern Conference.

The Magic have had to play most of the season without forward Grant Hill, who went down in November with bone spurs in his left ankle. Hill and McGrady each joined Orlando with seven-year, $93-million contracts before the 2000-2001 season.

MavsFanFinley
03-22-2002, 09:18 PM
Raptors' Childs injured

March 22, 2002

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Chris Childs left the Toronto Raptors' game against the Cleveland Cavaliers with a pelvic contusion Friday night.

Childs, averaging 3.7 points in his eighth season, was hurt while going for a loose ball with 1:02 remaining in the first half. He crashed into the crowd behind the Cavaliers' bench and came up holding his lower back.

Childs, who had scored six points on 3-for-4 shooting in 18 minutes, was examined by Cavaliers team doctor Richard Parker, who said x-rays were negative.

Earlier in the day, the Raptors announced that all-star guard Vince Carter will need knee surgery and miss the remainder of the season.

The Raptors had two more players leave the game in the third quarter. Guard Alvin Williams rolled his right ankle and guard Dell Curry left with back spasms. Both were announced as questionable to return.

MavsFanFinley
03-22-2002, 09:18 PM
Philadelphia guard hurts hand

March 22, 2002

BOSTON (AP) -- NBA scoring leader Allen Iverson left Friday night's game against the Celtics at halftime to have X-rays taken on his left hand.

The Philadelphia 76ers trailed the Boston Celtics 50-45 at intermission despite a game-high 22 points from Iverson, who played all 24 minutes of the half. He shot 7-of-12, including 3-of-5 on 3-pointers, and had three steals and three assists.

It wasn't clear when Iverson, the NBA's 2001 MVP, was hurt, although he shook his left hand after being fouled early in the game, then made both free throws to cut Boston's lead to 8-5.

He went to New England Baptist Hospital for X-rays.

Speedy Claxton replaced Iverson in the lineup in the third quarter and scored seven of the 76ers first 15 points as they took a 60-56 lead with 7:42 left

In his last game, Iverson led all scorers with 38 points in an 82-77 loss to Miami on Wednesday night.

Rod1975
03-22-2002, 09:30 PM
cool...er, I mean...too bad...

Murphy3
03-22-2002, 09:37 PM
i don't like players getting injured..but, i can't really say i like any of those guys either... so, whatever,..they play in the insignificant east

MavsFanFinley
03-22-2002, 10:36 PM
Wow, Iverson breaks hand and could be out for the rest of the season. i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif

Philadelphia guard breaks hand

March 22, 2002

BOSTON (AP) -- NBA scoring leader Allen Iverson could miss the rest of the regular season and the playoffs after breaking his left hand Friday night against the Boston Celtics.

Iverson is expected to miss 4-to-6 weeks with the injury to his non-shooting hand, diagnosed by X-rays taken at New England Baptist Hospital after he played the entire first half of the Philadelphia 76ers' 96-91 victory

Iverson, last season's NBA MVP, sat out the second half when Philadelphia rallied from a 50-45 deficit.

``The kid is playing as good as anyone in the league,'' Philadelphia coach Larry Brown said. ``You just don't replace him. We've all got to do a great job.''

Brown said Iverson was hurt early in the second quarter when he was hit by Boston's Walter McCarty. Iverson later hit two 3-pointers.

The broken bone is below Iverson's left index finger.

Murphy3
03-22-2002, 10:41 PM
i guess i was right about him not being in the top 5 in MVP voting..

Drbio
03-23-2002, 05:10 PM
The McGrady injury looked really wierd. He just kind of turned funny in the last second. He looked like he was in great pain.