PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix vs LA part deux "Suns vs Clips"

blahblehblah
05-08-2006, 01:22 AM
Just wanted to start the thread to discuss the series bewteen the Suns and the Clippers, whom potentially will be the Mavs next opponent.

Asides from the Mavs vs the Spurs, this is probably the series I'll look forward most to watching. Personally I love watching Pheonix play, especially when its against teams with A. offensive firepower or B. a dominating inside precence. In this case the clippers have both, so it'll be fun to watch the different styles play out.

Though I'm a fan of Nash and find the Clippers dull (despite all the talent) I have to predict a relatively easy but exciting Clipper victory in 6 games. The clippers just have to much inside and outside for the suns to deal with. I mean if they had trouble with the front line of Kwame, Cook, Odom and Walton Imagine how much problems they will have with Brand, Kaman, Radmanovich and Maggete. And while Nash is the "MVP" I'd bet Sam Cassell will easily avg 18pts this series on 50% shooting.

Anyways I look forward to an exciting series of high scores, great offense, competing styles and utlimately a Clippers victory. Perhaps if the Suns had Kurt THomas this series I might pick Pheonix but without him this series should be end in 5 or 6 for the Clips.

vjz
05-08-2006, 11:47 AM
I am looking forward to the Nash VS Cassell/Livingston battle.

The Clippers seem to be the favs, but I think the Suns have a good chance of winning the series for the following reasons:

a) Livingston has great potential, but he is a rookie. And Cassell is not really known for his defense. And Nash is the MVP of the league.
b) Diaw and Barbosa are playing the best basketball of their careers.
c) The Suns are playing with a chip on their shoulders.
d) These are the Clippers!!

Five-ofan
05-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Livingston will make nash's life hell in this series. Ross will shut marion down. The clippers are built to pound the ball against the suns. I see very little chance for the suns in this series. Basically if the clips play well the suns wont win.

EricaLubarsky
05-08-2006, 01:08 PM
Suns will take it in 4. There is no need for the Suns to throw any games, and no need for the officials to get creative on their calls to keep the series longer than 5

Dtownsfinest
05-08-2006, 01:13 PM
This is gonna be another 7 game series and I think Clipps take the series. Suns have no answer for Elton Brand. I'd just go into the post all day against the Suns. Not to mention the most seasoned vet on the court plays for the Clipps and that's Sam I Am.

TripleDipping
05-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Are Clippers the favorites in this series? Could've fooled me. Both teams have decided advantages in different areas. Clippers' inside game will play a big role in the series but I think they will ultimately crumble to the playoff pressure.

Suns in 6.

aexchange
05-08-2006, 01:21 PM
the clippers are going to brutalize the suns.

the series doesnt go more than 6 games. the lsuns had trouble against kwame freaking brown, imagine what brand and hul-kaman-ia are going to do to diaw and company. this is going to get really ugly.

Five-ofan
05-08-2006, 01:40 PM
The one thing about this series that some of you may not know. brand doesnt play in the post much more than dirk does. He shoots the ft line extended jumpshot as well as any big man in the league not named dirk though. Kaman will average 20 10 and 4 in this series.

dalmations202
05-08-2006, 01:45 PM
I hope you are correct. Dallas vs Clipps in the WCF is a matchup made for Dallas. Dallas vs Suns is a free for all with a questionable outcome based upon who gets hot.

If SA gets there, I would guess SA in 5 against either team.

I know Dallas still has to get through SA, but I hope 5-0 and AX are correct that the Clipps win.

Five-ofan
05-08-2006, 01:49 PM
I agree about them being a better matchup but i just dont see how they dont win. Livingston gives nash nightmares. You think bowen gives dirk problems? Wait till you see livingston guard nash. Then ross will take another turn if livingston gets in foul trouble. Plus as mentioned above they have guys who actually have the ability to post and they have done it all year instead of trying to change for one series.

mary
05-08-2006, 02:03 PM
I'm predicting gaudy numbers for Kaman and Brand, and for the Clips to take care of business in 5. I never expected the Suns to make it past the Lakers, so I certainly don't expect them to win against the more talented Clippers - this should be a lay-up drill for them. The Suns are going to need KT back to even make it a long series.

mary
05-08-2006, 02:04 PM
the clippers are going to brutalize the suns.

the series doesnt go more than 6 games. the lsuns had trouble against kwame freaking brown, imagine what brand and hul-kaman-ia are going to do to diaw and company. this is going to get really ugly.

Yea, what he said :D

MavsFanFinley
05-08-2006, 03:18 PM
Go Phoenix. In 5.

rabbitproof
05-08-2006, 04:17 PM
I'm rooting for PHX this series.

Down 1-3, the idea of a LA-LA matchup and the embarassment of a non-Dirk MVP falling to Kobe in round one was wistful. Now, both possibilities have passed and I don't care for the Clips whereas Dirk vs Nash for their first NBA finals trip would be awesome.

Win or lose, nobody would ever forget that series.

LAC are in position to control PHX given their struggles vs LAL but I'm going to root for PHX in 7.

madape
05-08-2006, 04:25 PM
The Clips will show the world what kind of pretenders they are. Nash and the Suns massacre the hapless Clips. 4-0 sweep for Pheonix. No games closer than 10.

spreedom
05-08-2006, 04:37 PM
I can't see how people don't have this series going at least six with the Clippers as favorites. The Clips will play pretty good defense in the paint and their backcourt is going to be scoring by the bucketload.. I actually have these guys as having a pretty good shot at winning in the WCF.

rakesh.s
05-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Suns in 5.

Clippers have no D and Cassell is too old to run with Nash.

nashtymavsfan13
05-08-2006, 10:54 PM
I'm predicting gaudy numbers for Kaman and Brand, and for the Clips to take care of business in 5. I never expected the Suns to make it past the Lakers, so I certainly don't expect them to win against the more talented Clippers - this should be a lay-up drill for them. The Suns are going to need KT back to even make it a long series.

Well said, almost the same exact thing I was going to post.

Murphy3
05-08-2006, 11:22 PM
Well, when the Clippers decide to take the ball to the rim or get the ball to brand and kaman, the Suns don't have a chance. But, right now, the Clippers are settling for contested jumpers.

madape
05-09-2006, 12:02 AM
some folks think that physical play "wears down" an opposing team. I say that a quick pace "wears down" a slow plodding team much quicker. The Suns have a lot more in the tank than the stinking overrated Clips. If Dunleavy doesn't stop the bleeding soon, this one's going to get out of hand.

nashtymavsfan13
05-09-2006, 12:06 AM
8 point game, 5 mins to go.

nashtymavsfan13
05-09-2006, 12:07 AM
Wow Brand, as expected, has been a monster with 38 points on 17-21 shooting, 8 boards, 3 blks

nashtymavsfan13
05-09-2006, 12:07 AM
ok, make that a 12 point game

nashtymavsfan13
05-09-2006, 12:08 AM
Kaman is playing terribly, if the Clippers want to win this series he's gonna have to step it up more than this.

chumdawg
05-09-2006, 12:16 AM
Man, how good is Steve Nash? I mean, really. How good is the guy?

Evidently the Clippers are the far more talented team, and Nash is just dissecting them.

I've been trying to tell you guys. Nash is a generational player. Meaning, you see one guy like him each generation.

If you're lucky.

madape
05-09-2006, 12:18 AM
Steve Nash is very, very good.

nashtymavsfan13
05-09-2006, 12:18 AM
Well it looks like the Suns are gonna take this one. 7 point game with 1:30 left.

nashtymavsfan13
05-09-2006, 12:20 AM
I liked how big Brand and Cassell stepped up, unfortunatley Kaman didn't.

I don't know if you can fully saddle this loss on Kaman, but he was definetly a large part of it.

madape
05-09-2006, 12:23 AM
You're blaming this on Kaman? I actually thought he played great in the first half, and decently in the second Dunleavy just couldn't keep him on the floor. The Suns were able to dictate the pace. You can't ask Kaman to try to guard Diaw or Tim Thomas all night. The Clips needed to find something to stop the Suns offense. Kaman, no matter how well he played, wasn't the answer.

madape
05-09-2006, 12:24 AM
Kaman had 8 points and 7 rebounds in 30 minutes. If the Mavericks had gotten that kind of production from Erick Dampier, the talk show hosts wouldnt' be able to contain their glee.

nashtymavsfan13
05-09-2006, 12:25 AM
You're blaming this on Kaman? I actually thought he played great in the first half, and decently in the second Dunleavy just couldn't keep him on the floor. The Suns were able to dictate the pace. You can't ask Kaman to try to guard Diaw or Tim Thomas all night. The Clips needed to find something to stop the Suns offense. Kaman, no matter how well he played, wasn't the answer.

I'm not blaming it on Kaman, I'm just saying he didn't play well. 8 points 7 boards 0 blocks and 4 TO's wont cut it.

nashtymavsfan13
05-09-2006, 12:26 AM
Kaman had 8 points and 7 rebounds in 30 minutes. If the Mavericks had gotten that kind of production from Erick Dampier, the talk show hosts wouldnt' be able to contain their glee.

Well then who would you blame this loss on?

enervate
05-09-2006, 12:32 AM
Wow what a wasted game for Elton Brand. D'Antonio just said "Battle of two Titans" then he started laughing. LOL

rakesh.s
05-09-2006, 12:35 AM
How do you shoot 59.3% and lose by 7?

jleefilled
05-09-2006, 12:57 AM
Man, how good is Steve Nash? I mean, really. How good is the guy?

Evidently the Clippers are the far more talented team, and Nash is just dissecting them.

I've been trying to tell you guys. Nash is a generational player. Meaning, you see one guy like him each generation.

If you're lucky.

Let's put it this way, Chum: he makes me proud to have witnessed his development as a player while he was a Maverick. He's very good.

sike
05-09-2006, 01:45 AM
is it too late to predict a sweep? Brand gave his best tonight....they just don't have enough....

madape
05-09-2006, 03:35 AM

Hard to say. The Clips played a great game, but came up a bit short. I guess I'll blame this one on Steve Nash. The Clips just couldn't stop him tonight.

Arne
05-09-2006, 03:50 AM
I'd pick 6 points, 9.7 rebounds, 3 block and 0.6 tunover per 30 minutes in games that included teams that combined for 145 shots per game (Dampiers stats during the playoffs in 30 minutes per game) over Kaman's 8 points, 7 rebounds, 0 blocks and 4 turnovers in 30 minutes of play last night in a game that included two teams that combined 187 shots in the game.

Dampier has been very helpful during these playoffs.

u2sarajevo
05-09-2006, 07:23 AM
How do you shoot 59.3% and lose by 7?By playing the Suns....

blahblehblah
05-09-2006, 08:38 AM
The blame falls squarely on Dunleavy.

He was horrible, I mean he cant shoot (for a white guy). Cant guard anyone. Is passive on defense and on offense. He's slow. And he's totally not playing up to the humongous extension the Warriors gav... errr. .. ummm

heh Srry thought I was talking about the Warriors and Mike D jr for a second there! Season long habits are hard to break! =p

But yes the fault does lie with Dunleavy sr. I mean how does he really think the best way to beat the Suns is to Run with them? Has he been watching pheonix all year? Or how bout against the Lakers? Even Barkley knows that the best way to beat the suns is to slow down the game and NOT take quick shots, long shots and get back in transition.

By playing a fast pace, Dunleavy and the Clips lost the advantage they had in size and brute strength. Kaman cannot play effectively when he has to guard Diaw in an up and down wide open game. The clips cannot contain Nash when he has 70+ possesions to work with. Not only did they allow the suns to run and gun, they didnt follow the Lakers lead and maximize their shot clock by pounding the ball inside repeatedly. Instead they took the first or second shot available, allowed the suns to get repeatedly open 3's ANd into the paint for layups. So while they shot 60% and scored 123 points they also played pheonix's game and appropriately lost.

On the birght side for clipper fans and nba fans in general, it was a damn fun game to watch!

Five-ofan
05-09-2006, 09:40 AM
Nash was AMAZING last night. That is all.

sixeightmkw
05-09-2006, 09:44 AM
Yes, Nash was amazing, but I just hate it when he has a good game, the media jumps all over the "now you see why Nash was MVP" statement. They are looking for a reason to give it to him. Yeah, did you see his play when they went down 3 to 1 to the Lakers. What happened there? But good job Nash.

Five-ofan
05-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Hey i dont think he deserved mvp either but the media is no reason to dislike nash. The guy is one of the most fun players to watch in the nba and i always like to see old mavs do well as long as they arent playing the mavs or they arent antoine walker or kurt thomas.

vjz
05-09-2006, 09:51 AM
How do you shoot 59.3% and lose by 7?

By trying to run with the Suns.

madape
05-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Encore performance artist
By Steve Kerr, Yahoo! Sports
May 9, 2006

Steve Kerr
Yahoo! Sports Exclusive
One day after receiving his Most Valuable Player trophy, Steve Nash went out and showed the world why the award has his name on it for the second year in a row.

Nash scored 31 points, handed out 12 assists and led a stunning Phoenix Suns attack that generated 130 points against one of the league's best defenses in Monday's seven-point win over the Los Angeles Clippers. Phoenix shot 55 percent from the field and made 12 three-pointers, somehow turning back a Clippers team that shot 59 percent.

Nash's efforts on the screen-and-roll – the Suns' bread and butter – forced L.A.'s defense to react and help, spreading the Clippers out and leaving driving lanes open. Despite the Clips' size advantage, the Suns scored more points in the paint thanks to Nash's penetration and passing.

When L.A. covered up the lane, Phoenix went to work from behind the three-point line. The Suns scored 36 points on threes – compared to just 12 for the Clippers – and that was the difference in an amazingly potent series opener for both teams.

madape
05-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Yeah, did you see his play when they went down 3 to 1 to the Lakers. What happened there?

You mean game #1 when he got 20 points 10 assists?
or game #2 when he got 29 points, 9 assists, 7 boards and shot 59% from the field?
or game #3 when he got 17 points, 11 assists, and 7 boards?
or game #4 when he got 22 points and 11 assists?

Yeah what happened there Nash?!?!

sixeightmkw
05-09-2006, 12:26 PM
You mean game #1 when he got 20 points 10 assists?
or game #2 when he got 29 points, 9 assists, 7 boards and shot 59% from the field?
or game #3 when he got 17 points, 11 assists, and 7 boards?
or game #4 when he got 22 points and 11 assists?

Yeah what happened there Nash?!?!
Yeah, Nash put up his average #'s. But the reason Nash won the MVP is because when he doesn't play the Suns suck and when he plays they are the best team to ever grace the NBA. So why, if he was playing at an MVP level did his team lose those games? I am trying to make a distinction here, he gets the MVP becuase of what he means to the team. Yet, he played and put up great #'s, and yet his team went down 3-1 to the LAkers? Why is that. It is a weak MVP arguement.

u2sarajevo
05-09-2006, 12:47 PM
68's thread is wearing thin........ be carefull dude it's all but broken.

mary
05-10-2006, 10:08 PM
The Clips are out to a huge lead tonight - 32-19 with less than 2 minutes left in the first.

As expected, they're the Miniature Suns are getting killed on the glass early on.

SamIAm is having a helluva quarter so far.

mary
05-10-2006, 10:13 PM
38 - 22 at the end of the first. I expect the Suns to get back in the game, but I'm rooting for the Clips.

Murphy3
05-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Yep..I wish for nothing but failure for the Suns.

mary
05-10-2006, 10:23 PM
And just like that...a 9-0 run for the Suns so far.

nashtymavsfan13
05-10-2006, 11:06 PM
Clips playing real well, it looks like this series will be 1-1.

mary
05-10-2006, 11:41 PM
Rebounding advantage 50-18 at the moment. This has turned into a sustained route for the Clippers.

nashtymavsfan13
05-11-2006, 12:23 AM
Wow, the Clippers romped the Suns! This is what I meant that Chris Kaman had to do, 14 and 16 is getting the job done!

Stranger
05-11-2006, 02:46 AM
Wow, a +31 rebounding edge for the Clips. 57 to 26.

EricaLubarsky
05-11-2006, 03:04 AM
Every dog has his day I guess.

vjz
05-11-2006, 09:59 AM
Clippers made all the right moves in Game 2

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5597498?print=true

Whereas in the Suns opening series the Lakers simply switched whenever Steve Nash used a S/R, the LAC used three different tactics:

# Switching, then aggressively doubling the resulting mismatch in the low-post.

# Switching, temporarily abandoning Nash to double-team the roller, then rotating another defender to guard Nash.

# Sinking the big man who was guarding the screener, thereby giving Nash's defender plenty of room to chase down Nash.

The Clippers also jumped at every fake executed by the Suns' 3-point marksmen. The idea being to chase them off the 3-point line.; the result being wide-open shots from 20-feet. And to tax Nash's endurance, Sam Cassell repeatedly backed him into the pivot.

Since none of these devices worked well enough to put the Clippers over the top in Game 1, they needed to either change their game plan, or else execute the old one in better fashion.

Meanwhile, the Suns had their own problems to solve—the main one being to control Elton Brand. Even though Brand erupted for 40 points, Phoenix won the 130-123 shootout, but a repeat of Brand's total domination in the lane was a dangerous situation.

In Game 1, Phoenix tried doubling the low-posted Brand from the top and daring Quinton Ross to make his jumpers. They also sought to force Brand to turn baseline, and then two-timed him there. Neither of these activities was consistently successful.

Another potential difficulty for Phoenix was the Clippers' dominance of their offensive glass. The LAC snared only 9 offensive rebounds in Game 1 (to the Suns' 8), but Brand and Chris Kaman are always capable of doing more extensive damage in the paint.

So, then, here's a look at the counter-adjustments each team made in Game 2, and how they affected the Clippers' surprisingly easy 122-97 victory.

NASH AND THE SCREEN/ROLL

Sure, the Suns looked weary and flat-footed, but several tweaks in the Clippers' defense virtually neutralized Nash's operation of the home-team's fearsome S/R. Let us count the ways:

# The Clippers used the same switching tactic as before on five occasions. The result was one basket (a layup by Nash), two misses, and two non-shooting fouls.

# On one sequence, LAC merely doubled Nash with a weak-side defender on the far side of the screen. The result was a pass by Nash and a missed jumper by Shawn Marion.

# The Clips went under the screen once, and Nash missed a 3-ball.

# The most common variation had the big man showing on the far side, Nash's defender scurrying to catch up to the double-MVP, and a weak-side defender arriving on the scene to release the big. This was a highly risky ploy since three defenders were trying to cover Nash. But Phoenix really didn't take full advantage, making 4-of-8 subsequent shots (including a trey), drawing a foul (Nash made 1-2), committing a turnover (which the Clippers turned into a score), and inducing the Clippers into a defensive 3-second violation (Nash bagged the free throw). That's 11 points scored and 2 points yielded in 11 possessions, a net gain of 9 points—well below the expected 1.1 points-per-possession that NBA teams average.

Faced with the relative stifling of their money play, the Suns had a few wrinkles of their own:

# Nash faked using the screen, changing direction and dribbling toward the basket instead. The result was a missed layup.

# Instead of rolling hoopwards, the screener faded, and a teammate cut across the lane from the weak-side. This was used to catch the Clippers unawares as they initiated their baseline rotations that had been pointed at either a penetrating Nash or a rolling screener. The result was a missed jumper by Raja Bell, and successful layups by Marion and Leandro Barbosa. The Clippers eventually countered this by reading the screener's movements (fading instead of rolling) and zoning the lane area.

With their running game stalled, and their S/Rs limited, Phoenix's remaining half-court options weren't very effective. These were handoffs, isos, and open-spacing that enabled penetrations and pitches. But since their perimeter shots weren't falling (9-26 from beyond the arc), Phoenix never got into an offensive rhythm.

CONTROLLING BRAND

As before, Brand was doubled in the post as soon as he caught the entry pass. The reprise of this strategy was marginally successful—Brand's passwork was shaky and he committed all of his three turnovers here. And Brand was also prevented from wheeling to the basket. But Ross shot 3-6 when Brand was doubled in the pivot.

The Clippers countered this strategy by moving Brand out of the low-post and into a mid-post area. The double-teaming continued, but now Brand wasn't as crowded and had much better sight lines. As a result, an easy pass-out by Brand was followed by another pass that regularly located either an open shooter or Kaman on the opposite box.

An excellent adjustment by Mike Dunleavy and his staff; one that will force Phoenix into changing their approach to defending Brand.

THE BATTLE OF THE BOARDS

Here's where the game was won. With Brand (a total of 10 rebounds), Kaman (16), Vladimir Radmanovic (9), and Cuttino Mobley (9) setting the pace, the LAC out-rebounded Phoenix by 57-26! An astounding discrepancy.

Even worse, the Clippers amassed 19 offensive rebounds to the Suns' 5. And Dunleavy also deserves credit for making this interior dominance possible. Whereas in Game 1, the Clips were so conscious of getting back on defense and thereby trying to impede the Suns' running game that they only sent two bigs to the offensive boards. Dunleavy's gamble in Game 2 was to try to stall the Suns' ability to boogie by occasionally having a third rebounder attack the glass. The gamble—coupled with the increased determination of Brand, Kaman, and Radmanovic—succeeded beyond Dunleavy's wildest dreams.

As a result, the Clippers took eleven more shots than Phoenix. Because many of the offensive rebounds led to easy put-backs, L.A. shot 54.4% overall (to the Suns' 45.6%). And this was the main reason why the Suns couldn't jump-start their running game.

OTHER MEANINGFUL ADJUSTMENTS

Sam Cassell relentlessly took the ball to Nash, in the low-post and in isos. Most of Sam the Man's 23 points were registered at the expense of Nash's weak defense.

Walter McCarty, Mobley, and Ross all turn turns defending Nash—limiting him to 6-12 shooting and 14 total points.

The Clippers variously posted-up Mobley (23 points), and occasionally Singletary (8 points). Unprepared for these eventualities, the Suns failed to provide defensive help and were routinely toasted.

The Suns, of course, only had to make minor adjustments from game 1 to Game 2, while the Clippers were forced to make major alterations. Come Game 3 and the situation will be reversed.

It's now incumbent upon D'Antoni to revise his schemes on both ends of the floor. What in the world can he do to prevent the Clippers from wiping their offensive boards clean? How will he adjust to Brand's moving to the mid-post? What changes will be instituted in the Suns' S/Rs? How can Nash be aided in his meager defense of Cassell's one-on-one moves? What to do about Mobley's isos?

Plus, can Dunleavy anticipate any of D'Antoni's possible adjustments? And will the Clippers add any new elements to their game plan to stay a move ahead of Phoenix?

We'll all find out soon enough.

dalmations202
05-11-2006, 10:47 AM
How cool, a mediot actually watched the game. Rosen isn't really known for this, I wonder if it is a first time?

Good job, and analysis in the write up.

aexchange
05-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Every dog has his day I guess.

the suns are the dog in this series.

and the clippers are going to beat them like a government rented mule.

Thespiralgoeson
05-11-2006, 06:21 PM
The Suns are pathetic.

WayOutWest
05-11-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm pissed the Clips didn't win game 1. I was hoping for a sweep of the Suns by the red headed step children Clippers. The Clips have more scorers, better defenders, better rebounders and all around better talent. The only reason the Suns even win a game is because of Steve Nash. That guy is amazing, he's making a team of 2nd stringers, with the exception of Marion, look like all stars.

Clippers in 6.

chumdawg
05-13-2006, 12:14 AM
The Suns are pretty much exerting their will down the stretch here. The Clippers failed under the pressure. With 1:15 left, down three, Cassell jacked a wild three that didn't even hit iron. The next trip down, Nash to Marion for a layup-and-one, and now it's pretty much decided.

chumdawg
05-13-2006, 12:18 AM
Ho-hum. The MVP^2 hits another gamewinner.

Yawn.

MFFL
05-13-2006, 12:22 AM
Ho-hum. The MVP^2 hits another gamewinner.

Yawn.

What happened the last time he had a chance to hit a game winner in a Mavs jersey?

He missed it.

MavsFanFinley
05-13-2006, 12:24 AM
Thank you Phoenix.

chumdawg
05-13-2006, 12:32 AM
What happened the last time he had a chance to hit a game winner in a Mavs jersey?

He missed it.He wasn't as good a player back then.

KFunk
05-13-2006, 03:41 AM
He wasn't as good a player back then.

And that's why he bothers me so much now. Leaves the mavs and all of a sudden a two time mvp? I hate the suns

Thespiralgoeson
05-13-2006, 05:02 AM
I hope the Suns stomp the Clippers. I really do. The fact of the matter is, the Mavs owe the Suns for last season's loss. San Antonio's first on the list, after that Phoenix. Payback is a bitch.

madape
05-13-2006, 06:23 AM
I've been pretty darned impressed with the Clips in this postseason. I had no idea they were this good. That being said, Steve Nash is proving that he is a baskeball God. He's pretty much single handedly beating a pretty good Clipper team.

atrewsfan
05-13-2006, 06:30 AM
I'd actually like to see the Clippers advance as I've always been a fan of Elton Brand and he deserves to have some playoff success after enduring years of being stuck on a mediocre team.

madape
05-13-2006, 07:30 AM
Brand will get his shot. He's already made it to the second round. In this league, you have to put in your dues before you get a shot at the championship...

That is, unless your team has Steve Nash on it. If that is the case, you can go from being buried deep in the lottery to the Western Conference finals in one year.

rakesh.s
05-13-2006, 09:52 AM
Players that have won a playoff series before McGrady -

1. Lebron James
2. Elton Brand

Who woulda thunk it?

JustReading
05-14-2006, 05:35 PM
Um, i musta missed Nash being a "stud" in game 3, he was 3-9 with 4 turnovers.

MFFL
05-14-2006, 08:34 PM
TNT was hyping the game beforehand and was using a chess theme. Who was the white queen?

STEVE NASH!

I couldn't stop laughing.

nashtymavsfan13
05-14-2006, 09:37 PM
Well, we have a tie series at 2-2

I still think the Clips are gonna take it.

bernardos70
05-15-2006, 02:27 AM
I truly don't care who wins, as long as the Mavs get rid of the Spurs in 5 and this series goes to 7, because the period of rest really does pay off. Especially now with Dirk's ankle.

TripleDipping
05-16-2006, 10:27 AM
I truly don't care who wins, as long as the Mavs get rid of the Spurs in 5 and this series goes to 7, because the period of rest really does pay off. Especially now with Dirk's ankle.

Tru dat...

With Dirk's ankle, I think it'll be better if the Clippers end up in the WCF because they don't a more mid to slow tempo game.

Hmm... can the Clippers go from not making the playoffs for 20+ years to advancing to the WCF? That would be some kinda feat.

aexchange
05-16-2006, 12:04 PM
the clips remind me a lot of the mavs. a lot. the similarities are pretty scary. ultimately, what separates us is the difference between our two stars.

with brand, you can afford to play him straight up with a normal PF. with dirk, you have to adjust your lineups to him. it causes all kinds of matchup problems.

sike
05-16-2006, 12:46 PM
the clips remind me a lot of the mavs. a lot. the similarities are pretty scary. ultimately, what separates us is the difference between our two stars.

with brand, you can afford to play him straight up with a normal PF. with dirk, you have to adjust your lineups to him. it causes all kinds of matchup problems.

Brand = Great player...and potential Hall of Fame Guy....

Dirk = MVP and potential top 20-30 player all time.

Five-ofan
05-16-2006, 04:11 PM
Well if we are just saying potential i would say dirk is a top 10 potential. I know the bird comparisons get old but the only thing bird had on dirk is rings and passing. If dirk gets a ring this year it is a very valid question as to who was a better player and bird is generally considered top 5 or 10 of all time.

EricaLubarsky
05-16-2006, 06:05 PM
phx will win in 6

MavKikiNYC
05-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Anybody hear Collins' narrative about Nash's tired legs? Nash's passing up shots because of fatigue?

Interesting.

Drbio
05-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Good first half....I heard them talking about Nash but didn't pay much attention. Still, we all know here that Nash fades as the season goes on.

BTW....Phoenix looks really motivated.

EricaLubarsky
05-16-2006, 11:51 PM
*yawn* when will we play the Suns?

chumdawg
05-17-2006, 12:26 AM
The ending to this game is hilarious.

Probably the very funniest thing, though, is Collins going off on a tirade about how you just HAVE to know to take a timeout there, while the camera is showing Raja Bell attempting to call one. Collins just keeps going off on it, though.

MFFL
05-17-2006, 12:27 AM
Good lord - that ending was a comedy of errors.

Drbio
05-17-2006, 12:28 AM
What a HUUUUUGE brainfart by Tim Thomas.

Drbio
05-17-2006, 12:29 AM
Elton Brand wants this game bad. Overtime is Brand time.

Drbio
05-17-2006, 12:41 AM
It wasn't JET quality, but Cassells has been money.

chumdawg
05-17-2006, 12:43 AM
Wow, Bell is really quite angry at Cassell.

Drbio
05-17-2006, 12:43 AM
Double Overtime????

That was a huge shot by Bell. wow.

dude1394
05-17-2006, 12:44 AM
Wow....what a shot by raja bell. He would be our perfect griffin/bowen player... Wow...what a shot.

Drbio
05-17-2006, 12:45 AM
Raja Bell is a little bitch...but he is exactly the kind of player you want on your team.

What a monumentally stupid throw in.

MavsFanFinley
05-17-2006, 12:48 AM
Nash should buy Raja Bell breakfast/lunch/dinner for a month.

Drbio
05-17-2006, 12:52 AM
Stick a fork in Marion.....ouch. The ankle really didn't roll over though.

MFFL
05-17-2006, 12:53 AM
Wow....what a shot by raja bell. He would be our perfect griffin/bowen player... Wow...what a shot.

That 5 year $24M contract looks pretty good.

MavsFanFinley
05-17-2006, 12:54 AM
I just caught the end before it went to commercial but it looked like he was walking on it a bit.

Drbio
05-17-2006, 12:56 AM
Here comes Marion.....I guess it was no big deal.

nashtymavsfan13
05-17-2006, 01:01 AM
Wow, how did this game go to double OT??? I stopped watching cuz the Suns were up by like 19. Wow! Go Clips!!

Drbio
05-17-2006, 01:08 AM
Ballgame. The clips screwed the pooch hard on this one. They were up by 3 with 1.1 seconds left and blew it. They would have returned home with a 3-2 series lead. Dopes.

The Suns will win this series.

MavsFanFinley
05-17-2006, 01:11 AM
The Suns are trying to give this game away with those stupid turnovers.

MavsFanFinley
05-17-2006, 01:11 AM
Eh, nevermind. That will do it.

nashtymavsfan13
05-17-2006, 01:12 AM
Game. Suns in 6.

MFFL
05-17-2006, 01:16 AM
The Suns will win this series.

Hopefully the Clips win game 6 so the Suns don't get any rest.

nashtymavsfan13
05-17-2006, 01:20 AM
Hopefully the Clips win game 6 so the Suns don't get any rest.

Hopefully the Clips will win games 6 and 7 :D

But i will definetly take a game 6 win from the Clips ;)

Murphy3
05-17-2006, 07:15 AM
I think I'd rather the mavs play the Suns than the Clips.

MavKikiNYC
05-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Wow. I was up until 2AM watching that game. Unbelievable.

Favorite moment: The expression on Sam-I-Am's face as he crossed halfcourt just a fraction of a second beyond the 8-second count. From Snarky Smile to Huh!-What? anguish in about .3 seconds. Priceless.

Then Chuck and Kenny in the postgame was Priceless 2--trying to say that it was all Dunleavy's fault for not telling Sam he didn't have the full eight seconds.

Then Chuck and Kenny in the postgame defending Tim "Professor" Thomas for hurling a fullcourt lob in a helter-skelter scramble with 3.3 seconds left instead of calling timeout to advance the ball and set up a play. Surprisingly, they didn't try to blame this on Dunleavy.

Ladies and gentlemens, they's idiots, and they's idiots.

Clippers really let multiple opportunities slip throught their fingers. Don't know their team well enough to predict how they react.

Suns have to be on their 7th or 8th life right now. They must be exhausted. Watching Nash alternate between brilliant and beaten is a weird deja vu.

Raja Bell. Raja Bell, Raja Bell, Raja Bell. I liked him as a Griffin-type player when he was in Dallas, but I never guessed he'd have that shot in him.

Someone should park Marquis Daniels in front of a DVD player and say, "Your mission, should you decide to accept it is: Balls-to-the-wall 3-point shooting, and Mamba-killer defense. THIS, son, is what the Mavericks need from you. This opportunity will self-destruct in about 9 months."

V2M
05-17-2006, 03:30 PM
After we officially end the TD dynasty tonight, I'd like to see a double-OT win for Clips in the 6th and a triple-OT win for the Suns in the 7th. Let the 2-time MVP get spent before he ever sets foot in AAC again.

DirkGoesNuclear
05-17-2006, 08:35 PM
- Bell has turned into a premiere 3pt shooter.
- Why was Cassell looking at his opponent and laughing instead of looking at the shot clock?

Five-ofan
05-18-2006, 12:36 PM
Bell has ALWAYS been a great 3pt shooter. HE shot 40% on 3s when he was here.

aexchange
05-19-2006, 07:44 AM
wow, the suns are god awful.

V2M
05-19-2006, 11:03 AM
wow, the suns are god awful.
Defensively, yes!

Thespiralgoeson
05-19-2006, 03:56 PM
Game 7 should be a good'un!

nashtymavsfan13
05-19-2006, 04:53 PM
Well, the Clips and Kings both did what we asked of them, stretching both the Spurts and the Suns. And surprisingly, the Cavs are making it hard for the Pistons.

It's meant to be this year, it's meant to be!

Thespiralgoeson
05-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Well, the Clips and Kings both did what we asked of them, stretching both the Spurts and the Suns. And surprisingly, the Cavs are making it hard for the Pistons.

It's meant to be this year, it's meant to be!

Amen!

aexchange
05-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Defensively, yes!

no, they're just about god awful at everything that doesnt involve shooting the ball. rebounding, boxing out, defense, position.

its completely non existent. its absolutely atrocious and a complete joke. and it starts with their best player.

kriD
05-21-2006, 02:23 AM
Suns' Thomas available for spot duty

PHOENIX (AP) -- The Phoenix Suns might have center Kurt Thomas available for spot duty off the bench against the Los Angeles Clippers on Monday night.

Thomas has not played since breaking his right foot against Boston on Feb. 22. He went through 2-on-2 drills on Saturday and was to participate in a full scrimmage on Sunday, coach Mike D'Antoni said.

The Suns certainly could use another big man against the Clippers in Game 7 of their Western Conference semifinal series.

"Can we get him back on Monday at this level, this quick? I think it's very difficult," D'Antoni said. "We'll see how he scrimmages tomorrow."

If the Suns win, D'Antoni said he was confident Thomas could play at some point in the conference finals.

Thomas didn't have much to say about his status after Saturday's workout.

"It feels good," he said. "We'll see how it is after tomorrow."

D'Antoni minimized any impact Thomas could have so soon after coming back.

"That's a tough injury to come back and throw someone into a playoff situation," D'Antoni said. "I don't know if it's fair to ask him to do that. We'll hold that judgment until we see him scrimmage and then make a good decision."

Thomas, acquired from the New York Knicks before the season began, averaged 8.6 points and 7.8 rebounds in 53 games for Phoenix.

V2M
05-21-2006, 08:29 PM
no, they're just about god awful at everything that doesnt involve shooting the ball. rebounding, boxing out, defense, position.

its completely non existent. its absolutely atrocious and a complete joke. and it starts with their best player.
Agree that they're real poor at all the things you mentioned above. But we gotta' admit, they're also real good at running the floor, spacing on offense, passing, shooting the 3, taking it to the rack, etc.

twelli
05-23-2006, 12:14 AM
Hey Elton!

Welcome to the Playoff! And Good Bye!

It must suck to play a decent game and end up loosing by 20...

We have to defend the perimeter against the Suns. They just made, what, 14 3-pointers...