PDA

View Full Version : King of Kings Fired!

Male30Dan
05-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Adelman Fired! (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2439143)

Adelman will be let go at afternoon news conference

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Rick Adelman is apparently out as the head coach of the Sacramento Kings.

According to sources, and also reported on the Sacramento Bee Web site, Adelman will be relieved of duties at a 6 p.m. ET news conference. Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie is expected to make the announcement.

Adelman was without a contract after the Kings were eliminated from the NBA Playoffs by San Antonio.

Adelman has won 752 games in his NBA career, which has included stops in Portland and Golden State as well as Sacramento.

Sacramento won 25 of their last 36 regular-season games shortly after Ron Artest was acquired in a trade for Peja Stojakovic, the last remaining player from the 1999 roster that thrilled the NBA with its wide-open, free-flowing style in the first of eight straight trips to the playoffs.

"I'm really proud of the way the guys finished this season, because people had written us off -- said we were done as a franchise," Adelman said recently. "We've built a great foundation for the stuff we want to be able to do. I'm very optimistic about it."

Information from the Associated Press is included in this report

dalmations202
05-09-2006, 04:51 PM
I would love to see him next year setting beside Del Harris. The D by Harris and Avery, and the O by Adelman.......sweet.

I still like his Big man passing offense, and I think Dirk, Howard, and Terry would absolutely thrive in it.

TripleDipping
05-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Don't think he'll take an assistant position. I'm pretty sure he'll be a hot commodity come off-season.

dude1394
05-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Really puts the coffin on the weber kings doesn't it. Complete fall from the heights. Just shows how fleeting it all can be.

LET'S GO MAVS!!!

MavKikiNYC
05-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Must've been an irreconcilable falling out with the Magoof brothers; he probably wanted nothing to do with Artest.

Still amazing that he can manage to guide a team which was in substantial disarray to the playoffs, and get released for his effort.

And Isiah is still workin Dolan's teat.

dude1394
05-09-2006, 06:10 PM
See what happens when you side with the evil spurs! FIRED!

Nash13
05-09-2006, 07:14 PM
Don't think he'll take an assistant position. I'm pretty sure he'll be a hot commodity come off-season.

I don't think too many teams are going to have vacancies for head coaches. i think he'd be a pretty good assistant just as long as we'd keep him soley for offense.

bernardos70
05-09-2006, 08:32 PM
Thread should be titled "King of Queens" fired.

Variant
05-09-2006, 10:00 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Rick take the year off, or at the very least try and stay somewhere on the west coast, maybe even with a non-NBA job. I remember in an older Sac Bee article he mentioned that he would like for his kid to finish up their senior year there in Sacramento.

That said, I can't imagine a guy with Rick's resume not getting numerous quality job offers. And if the vacancies aren't available til next year, could definitely see him waiting.

Teams I could see him ultimately ending up as head coach of would include: Seattle, Knicks or 76ers. My bet would be on Seattle because he definitely likes the Pac Northwest.

rakesh.s
05-09-2006, 10:24 PM
Paging Don Nelson.

nashtymavsfan13
05-10-2006, 12:41 AM
Im surprised by this move. He leads them to 8 straight playoff seasons, and gets fired for his efforts.

It seems to me that coaches are blamed way too much.

Variant
05-10-2006, 09:47 AM
Also one of a handful of coaches to lead two different franchises to 60+ wins.

Bee article this morning makes it sound like the Maloofs were squarely behind this one. Dunno if meddling owners are always a good thing ;)

sike
05-10-2006, 12:36 PM
great thread title

Five-ofan
05-10-2006, 04:52 PM
this needs to fall under be careful what you wish for. Adelman has taken a lot of crap from guys like simmons but the bottom line is the guy wins. I dont see how you fire a guy who has never missed the playoffs.