PDA

View Full Version : Mike Finley post game interview from last night

Dtownsfinest
05-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Michael Finley Interview

By InsideHoops.com | May 20, 2006
Friday night the San Antonio Spurs beat the Dallas Mavericks 91-86 to tie the series at three games apiece, forcing a Game 7. Spurs swingman Michael Finley, who spent most of his career as a Maverick, was very good with 16 points and 6 rebounds. Here's what he said to the media in the post-game press conference:

Question: Do you get additional motivation when Mavs fans boo you?

Mike Finley: The boos, I think, it's unfortunate. Especially in a place where I felt I gave my all for eight years. Blood and guts on the court. Tried to be a model citizen in the community. And to come back and hear the boos, it's kind of disheartening. Not even able to [have] my family come to the games and enjoy the games because of the things they're saying. So from that standpoint, it's kind of disheartening. But I try to always turn a negative into a positive. The first game I came back this year, I got a lot of cheers. And it was a little bit emotional for me. That game was tougher than any of these games since they've been booing me. So now that they're booing me, it makes me focus a lot more. I know now that I'm the enemy. And it makes me go out there and play harder. It was difficult to play when they were cheering me. So I just made a negative into a positive.

Question: Do you think it's just a product of the playoffs, the rivalry?

Mike Finley: I don't know, because I'm hearing things like "traitor." I'm not a traitor. The Mavs got rid of me. I'm hearing things like "whiner." I didn't do anything. I got hit. So it's kind of disheartening to hear the things that some of the fans are saying. Like I said, I thought I'd done a lot for this organization, as far as just being a model citizen, but I guess that doesn't matter.

Question: When you signed with the Spurs, was the championship tradition a big reason why? And talk about your terrific game tonight.

Mike Finley: One of the reasons I signed with the Spurs, I wanted to put myself in a position to have a chance to be on a championship-caliber team. Me signing here doesn't guarantee us a championship. I just felt that if I sign here, we had a great opportunity to make a championship run. They had a lot of things established already, as far as coaches, players and such. I knew I was coming to something that I wouldn't mess up. That I would just basically just fit in. And the situation, these last couple of games, has been real intense. Ten, eleven guys on the team already before me have been in even tougher situations. The NBA Finals. Getting blown out by Detroit by 20-plus points a couple of times and having to go back to Game 7 in San Antonio to win a title. All the experienced that they've been through, they're just carrying me along... I'm just riding their coattails right now.

Question: How much do you think the Spurs past playoff experiences in key Game 7's will help?

Mike Finley: It will be very beneficial. We have a lot of guys who have been in that experience on the highest level, being in the seventh game of an NBA finals. Hopefully that can be to our advantage. We still can't go into that game, because we were successful last year, in Game 7, overconfident. We still have to go in and play with a chip on our shoulder, so to speak, and go in there to have one purpose, to win a ball game.

Question: Popovich looked to you for leadership a lot tonight.

Mike Finley: Those guys have been in the situations a lot more than me, more intense situations. I pick and choose my chances to speak. To tap guys on the back when they need it. To give encouragement when they need it. Just try to be a vocal leader, like I was here, when I played in Dallas. But it's kind of in a different role. I don't want to overdo my leadership role, just pick and choose my points, and hopefully it's carrying over.

Question: How comfortable are you as a starter?

Mike Finley: This certain series, it makes me real comfortable. Being that they were booing me, I can get that out of my system early. You get to get into a flow a lot easier. Defensively you know the strategies. Offensively you know what we're trying to do. It fits me well for this series. Next series, I don't know.

chumdawg
05-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Next series, he doesn't know. Mike is sounding very confident!

He was a class act, as always, in that press conference.

nashtymavsfan13
05-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Yeah, it's unfortunate that he's being called names and stuff. He's given the Mavs and us a lot, and is a true class act.

Now to destroy him and the Spurts on Monday!

TripleDipping
05-24-2006, 04:57 PM
Here's the Finley interview after game 7. I feel sorry for him.

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

Michael Finley met the media Tuesday at the Spurs' practice facility, forthright and thoughtful as always.

His five minutes of playoff postmortem completed, Finley opened the door to the Spurs' inner sanctum, about to leave inquiring minds behind for four months, when he turned back to the cameras, recorders and notepads.

"I apologize for not talking to you guys after the game last night," Finley said. "It was kind of a tough night."

No Spurs player seemed to take Monday's loss to the Dallas Mavericks in Game 7 of the Western Conference semifinals harder than Finley, and the reasons were as apparent as the uniforms worn by the team that sent the Spurs to an early vacation. Finley played eight-plus seasons for the Mavericks, who waived him last summer in a cost-cutting move that, while fiscally understandable, hurt him nonetheless.

While numerous Spurs players, coaches and minority owner David Robinson congratulated Avery Johnson, the former Spurs point guard who coached the Mavericks to the conference finals, Finley walked quickly toward the tunnel that leads to the team's locker room at the AT&T Center.

Before he made his way off the court, Mavericks guard Jason Terry approached Finley and gave him a quick hug, putting behind him the ugliness of his Game 5 punch to Finley's groin.

That incident was a flashpoint in a series that needed no help capturing the imagination of basketball fans everywhere. It got Terry suspended for Game6 and turned Finley into a villain on the American Airlines Center court on which he once was admired.

That, too, turned the sting of the Mavericks' triumph into a searing burn for Finley.

Finley said only a few words to Terry after Monday's game, eager to leave the court and slip into the relative solitude of the Spurs' team room.

Finley has no championship ring, which means he has been eliminated from the playoffs each of the six times he has played in them in his 11 seasons. Losing to the Mavericks made this elimination the most painful.

"I'm not going to sit here and lie. I would love to have beaten those guys," Finley said. "But my goal coming here was to make it to the championship, no matter who was in our way. Dallas was one of the teams that was in our way to us accomplishing that goal, and we were unable to get to that point.

"From that standpoint, on both of those, that was very disappointing."

Finley found little solace in the airtight nature of the series, being called one of the best in NBA playoff history.

"It's disappointing because I felt we had a chance to win," said Finley, who finished the series as a starter, playing no fewer than 44 minutes in the final four games. "Not just in Game 7 but in the previous games. We put ourselves in position to win. The ball just didn't bounce our way. Dallas got a lot of bounces and a lot of breaks. You have to tip your hat to them. Maybe they're destined to do something good. You never know."

Finley had one goal when he decided to sign with the Spurs last summer after the Mavericks cut him loose: win a championship.

Two other teams that courted Finley, the Phoenix Suns and Miami Heat, are in their respective conference finals, but Finley is not second-guessing himself.

"I'm sticking with my decision, 100 percent," he said. "Unfortunately, we were unable to get into the NBA Finals. So be it. I'm happy. I'm with a great group of guys, a great coaching staff, and I'm happy."

Scoobay
05-24-2006, 05:48 PM
"It's disappointing because I felt we had a chance to win," said Finley, who finished the series as a starter, playing no fewer than 44 minutes in the final four games. "Not just in Game 7 but in the previous games. We put ourselves in position to win. The ball just didn't bounce our way. Dallas got a lot of bounces and a lot of breaks. You have to tip your hat to them. Maybe they're destined to do something good. You never know."

"I'm sticking with my decision, 100 percent," he said. "Unfortunately, we were unable to get into the NBA Finals. So be it. I'm happy. I'm with a great group of guys, a great coaching staff, and I'm happy."

Well I'm glad he's happy and all - again it's been really hard to root for him while in a Spurs uniform but I still think he's a class act. Wish he would have given the mavs some more credit for the win rather than just saying the mavs got a lot of bounces and breaks. how do you tip your hat to someone for getting bounces and breaks? you tip your hat to someone for playing well and winning...

Epitome22
05-26-2006, 07:21 AM
This "traitor" nonsense is a perfect example of middle aged, grown ass men taking professional sports (that they aren't even participating in) way too seriously. It's one thing to boo Steve Nash, he did chase the $ afterall. All Finley did was get waived, that's treason?

This seems to highlight a divide I've always noticed between sports fans. Those who root for teams and those who root for uniforms.

madape
05-26-2006, 09:04 AM
This is a dark spot on the Maverick franchise. Anyone who booed should be ashamed of themselves. Mark Cuban should be ashamed of himself.

Mav fans are better than this.

MavKikiNYC
05-26-2006, 09:19 AM
This "traitor" nonsense is a perfect example of middle aged, grown ass men taking professional sports (that they aren't even participating in) way too seriously. It's one thing to boo Steve Nash, he did chase the $ afterall. All Finley did was get waived, that's treason?

This seems to highlight a divide I've always noticed between sports fans. Those who root for teams and those who root for uniforms.

Fwiw, I think the reason some people were upset with Finley was that he went to the arch-rival Spurs, not merely that he 'got waived'. Not sure I would've booed him though, other than tongue-in-cheek.

Feel bad for him that the boos hurt his pride, rather than him just being able to laugh as he plunged the dagger. Same type of pride that seemed to paralyze him at times with the Mavericks.

MavsFanFinley
05-26-2006, 10:32 AM
Let's see. Nash left on his own for money, years, and to a WC rival. Finley was dismissed, went to another WC rival.

I don't think it has anything to do with where they went. It comes down to Dirk (as a joke supposedly) asking the fans to boo Finley (the same request wasn't made for Nash). After the Terry punch, Cuban added fuel to the fire even though Finley wasn't in the wrong.

Dirk said he wasn't going to get caught up in that again. So even though the media asked for Nash to be booed it was no where near what Finley received.

MavKikiNYC
05-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Let's see. Nash left on his own for money, years, and to a WC rival. Finley was dismissed, went to another WC rival.

I don't think it has anything to do with where they went. It comes down to Dirk (as a joke supposedly) asking the fans to boo Finley (the same request wasn't made for Nash). After the Terry punch, Cuban added fuel to the fire even though Finley wasn't in the wrong.

Dirk said he wasn't going to get caught up in that again. So even though the media asked for Nash to be booed it was no where near what Finley received.

Do you think Dirk was joking when he said fans should boo Finley? Or are you speculating that there was something more to it than that?

Nash went to Phoenix, but they were hardly a rival of the Mavericks at the time--certainly not on par with SA. I don't think anyone even expected Phoenix to be contending for more than a playoff berth. OTOH, Dallas has been trying to beat SA for about 5-6 years (with both Nash AND Finley). In any case, while it's true that Nash appeared to've been motivated more by economic opportunity, the teams that Nash and Finley chose to go to (respectively) had very different rivalry relations with the Mavericks.

Also, didn't Fin choose to to to SA despite Cuban's offer to accelerate payments due him if he'd go somewhere else? Didn't Miami offer a little more money? Fin's choice to go to archi-rival San Antonio strongly suggests to me that he wanted to go out sticking it to the Mavericks and Cuban. His pride was hurt by being released, no matter how many times he said he understood it was a business decision, and no matter how much the financial apsects of the release made sense for the Mavericks.

I do agree that Cuban's comments after the Terry incident were unfortunate. Then again, much of what Cuban contributes as a fan/specatator can be characterized that way.

FWIW, I think Dirk may have to be willing to put Nash on the floor at some point in this series, probably more than once, and definitely sooner rather than later. If he isn't to that point yet, he's still putting their friendship ahead of winning the game. Admirable, yes, but in a second-place kind of way.

banpeikun
05-26-2006, 01:40 PM
on the front page this thread title is truncated as "Mike Finley post game..." so i thought it was going to be finley's moves on the low blocks.

MavsFanFinley
05-26-2006, 01:44 PM
Oh I think Dirk said it in a joking matter but the reality is that he didn't do the same for Nash. He claims he didn't want to get caught up in that again. Whatever. Even Cuban hasn't been as vocal about the crowd booing Nash.

So if Nash were to have gone to Sacramento instead of Phoenix he would be booed because we did have a rivalry going with them? I don't buy that. No matter where Nash went he had it in mind to knock the Mavs off just as it was in Finley's mind to do so, imo.

It was my understanding that Finley wasn't only released for financial reasons but that the Mavs were also concerned with his health (missing games) and declining skills. And his supposed unwillingness to accept a bench role.

If true, what would Cuban need to buy Finley off for? That's what it comes down to. Cuban was not only cutting Finley but he tried to bribe him into where he went once he was released. If the Mavs wanted to control where he went they could have gotten a trade done. I'm sure Fin's pride was hurt because he was being waived but there was no reason to accept Cuban's bribe and limit his options on where to play next.

Murphy3
05-26-2006, 03:11 PM
No, he's not a traitor. But, he did turn his back on his teammates by not busting his ass his last year as a Mav. I suppose getting his shots was more important than donig the little things.

RedWhiteAndBlue
05-26-2006, 04:24 PM
Finley always gave an effort. He was always injured during his last few years here.

If Dirk told people to boo Finley and not Nash then he is an idiot. Then again Dirk likes to blame everyone else when this team loses so this bad attitude by him would not surprise me at all.

EricaLubarsky
05-26-2006, 04:26 PM
Im glad Finley healed up so he could play effort ball against us in the WCSF

Thespiralgoeson
05-26-2006, 04:50 PM
No, I don't think Dirk was joking when told the fans to boo Finley anymore than when he was when he called Barkley a moron.

I booed Finley because Dirk, someone who's twice the player Finley ever was and is EXPONENTIALLY more important to this franchise than Fin ever was, told me to.

I'm not ashamed of it, and none of these self-richeous, pompous 2003 fans are going to change that.

Dtownsfinest
05-26-2006, 04:58 PM
Also, didn't Fin choose to to to SA despite Cuban's offer to accelerate payments due him if he'd go somewhere else? Didn't Miami offer a little more money? Fin's choice to go to archi-rival San Antonio strongly suggests to me that he wanted to go out sticking it to the Mavericks and Cuban. His pride was hurt by being released, no matter how many times he said he understood it was a business decision, and no matter how much the financial apsects of the release made sense for the Mavericks.

If Fin really wanted to stick it to the Mavs than wouldn't it make sense to play alongside Shaq in Miami? Or wouldn't it even hurt Cuban more to play alongside Nash in Phoenix? And of course Finley was hurt. Rightfully so. What was once called the "Allan Houston rule" ended up being the "Michael Finley rule". I don't think Finley's decision was based on hurting Cuban. It was just simply he went to the best team available. If you are a offseason free agent and Tim Duncan and Greg Popovich show so much interest to the point they are courting you at your own house wouldn't that factor in to your decision? Especially a guy like Finley who had become sort of a black spot in Dallas. The booing of Finley doesn't surprise me. Once Dirk and Nash emerged Finley quickly became the scapegoat with fans when the Mavs would lose. I'm sure Finley heard this and i'm sure he wanted to go to a team where he would no longer be that scapegoat. Go to a team where if he shoots 2-8 from the field or 1-10 it will go unnoticed due to him having 3 other all stars playing alongside him.

Props to Fin for still being a class act regardless of the classless antics that went on in Dallas.

Dtownsfinest
05-26-2006, 05:07 PM
No, I don't think Dirk was joking when told the fans to boo Finley anymore than when he was when he called Barkley a moron.

I booed Finley because Dirk, someone who's twice the player Finley ever was and is EXPONENTIALLY more important to this franchise than Fin ever was, told me to.

I'm not ashamed of it, and none of these self-richeous, pompous 2003 fans are going to change that.

Rumor has it Dirk will be telling fans to jump off a cliff and because he tells them to they will do it. This has to be a sarcastic post. Say what you want about Fin's career in Dallas but credit him for Dirk's success. No, he didn't make Dirk better physically. However, had Finley been more of a "me" guy like a Kobe or a Iverson, Dirk would've never developed into the player he is today. I got a chance to meet Dirk his first year he entered the league. He speaked zero english. None. The fact that Finley was such a class act gave Dirk a prime example of how you should carry yourself in this league. Dirk's probably the best Maverick to ever wear a uniform. No one is denying that. But at the same time Finley made his mark on this team and its just as big as Dirk. I remember when this team use to throw out Cedric Ceballos, Erick Strickland, Robert Pack, Michael Finley, Chris Gatling etc. out there on the court. I remember regardless of how bad this team was Finley still stayed a Maverick. You may have not been a fan around this time since Dirk hadn't emerged or maybe wasn't even in the league at this time but there was a time when Fin's contract was up. He had a chance to go to a contender. To a team that had a lot more upside than Dallas but Finely stayed. This was well before the 102 million dollar contract Finley recieved. Back when Finley wasn't even the top 5 highest paid on the team. Now you can call me a apologist if you want but to me its not being a Finley apologist. Its being a Mavericks fan. One who has stuck through even at the bad times. Just like Finley did. You can throw as much money into Cuban's pocket book as you want but it doesn't make you a Maverick fan. If you can't appreciate what the Blackmon's, Aguirre's or the Finley's did for this franchise than you aren't a fan as far as i'm concerned.

chumdawg
05-26-2006, 05:25 PM
Let's just say that Finley came out of it all looking a whole lot more classy than Cuban did. And it's good for Cuban that the breaks went the Mavericks' way. He did hit a huge three in the last minute of Game Seven against his old team. If Dirk doesn't get the and-one, you are probably left to consider Finley's effort down the stretch as an equal part in what doomed us.

Good for us that we were able to fight through it. Good for Fin that he was able to help his team have a chance to win. I'm glad that we showed we can still make do without him, and I'm glad that he showed he can still play--and for a prime contender, no less.

If Cuban had kept his damned mouth shut, it would have been a whole lot easier for longtime loyal Mavs fans to suffer the profit move Cuban made. But you know that Cuban can never keep his mouth shut. As I said, one guy came out of it a whole hell of lot classier and more respectable than the other.

Murphy3
05-26-2006, 06:49 PM
No one has ever accused Cuban of being classy. He's the least classy person to come through the Mavs organization in a long time if not ever.

MavsFanFinley
05-26-2006, 07:29 PM
I also thought fans would want to boo Nash for simply knocking the Mavs out of the playoffs last year. I wonder if his team does it again this year that the fans will not have to be told to boo him next season?

Spiral, thanks for confirming what I suspected about the boo's. I wonder if anyone in the arena would have done so if Dirk never opened his mouth.

Murphy3
05-26-2006, 07:35 PM
I just don't think that Dirk wanted to see the same love fest that he saw when the Spurs came to town. That has no place in the playoffs.

Thespiralgoeson
05-27-2006, 12:08 AM
Rumor has it Dirk will be telling fans to jump off a cliff and because he tells them to they will do it. This has to be a sarcastic post. Say what you want about Fin's career in Dallas but credit him for Dirk's success. No, he didn't make Dirk better physically. However, had Finley been more of a "me" guy like a Kobe or a Iverson, Dirk would've never developed into the player he is today. .

Right, because jumping off a cliff and booing an opposing player are the same thing....

I didn't bother reading the rest of your post because this little bit was so stupid that if I'd read anymore I really think the vein in my head might've exploded.

I really hate when people use all-caps, but I think it's necessary in this situation.

Dude, HE'S NOT A F*CKING MAVERICK!!!!

HE'S A SPUR!

GET OVER IT!!!!

It's commonplace in the NBA for fans to boo their team's former players. Dirk said it's time to start booing him. So we booed him.

Stop bitching about it.

MavsFanFinley
05-27-2006, 12:35 AM
It's not bitching but looking at the situation without blinders on. And knowing that there is a difference in how Finley was treated and how Nash is being treated. I watched the first half tonight and there weren't that many boo's for Nash. Again. I haven't watched the 2nd half as I had to tape it while I was at work so maybe they put a little more effort into it.

By your argument the crowd should be booing Nash simply because he's no longer a Maverick and plays for a rival. Yet they're not giving the effort they did for Finley.

Like I said earlier, maybe if the Suns knock the Mavs off for two seasons in a row then the crowd will put a little more effort into next season.

chumdawg
05-27-2006, 01:15 AM
It's commonplace in the NBA for fans to boo their team's former players.Eh, but it's not commonplace for teams to shed All-Stars from their rosters. If you can show me precedent, please do.

Thespiralgoeson
05-27-2006, 01:34 AM
Eh, but it's not commonplace for teams to shed All-Stars from their rosters. If you can show me precedent, please do.

No, it's not. But chum, it is quite commonplace for teams to shed FORMER all-stars from their rosters. And that's exactly what Michael Finley is.

dude1394
05-27-2006, 11:09 AM
It is quite commonplace to shed players who were all-stars 5-6 years ago, in fact it's damn good business.

I like fin as much as the next guy but he was trying to put my team out of the playoffs. He went to the team that had beaten the hell out of us for 6 years now, our arch-rival in the state.

He went there and now he's got to deal with it. I feel sorry for him like I feel sorry for anyone who has had a dissappointment, but I sure as heck don't feel the least bit sorry for him that he isn't in the western conference finals. It's obvious that he would have taken special joy in beating the mavs, well the mavs fans took special joy in beating him and his team as well.

And as long as he wears a spurs uniform I wish them nothing but defeats.

MavKikiNYC
05-27-2006, 11:21 AM
I forget....was Shaquille O'Neal an All-Star the year before he was traded to Miami?

Was Mutombo an All-Star before he was traded to Philly?

Was Jason Kidd an All-Star before he was traded to New Jersey?

Was Baron Davis an All-Star before he was traded to GS? (Seriously.....was he?)

Peja for Artest?

Murphy3
05-27-2006, 11:38 AM
It's not bitching but looking at the situation without blinders on. And knowing that there is a difference in how Finley was treated and how Nash is being treated. I watched the first half tonight and there weren't that many boo's for Nash. Again. I haven't watched the 2nd half as I had to tape it while I was at work so maybe they put a little more effort into it.

By your argument the crowd should be booing Nash simply because he's no longer a Maverick and plays for a rival. Yet they're not giving the effort they did for Finley.

Like I said earlier, maybe if the Suns knock the Mavs off for two seasons in a row then the crowd will put a little more effort into next season.
You could tell that a good portion of the Mavs fans were attempting to boo Nash every time he touched the ball. But, it's just not possible to do with as often as he has the ball.

chumdawg
05-27-2006, 11:42 AM
What does trade have anything to do with?

bernardos70
05-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Mike Finley: Next series, I don't know.

Next Series, next year........

dude1394
05-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Other spurs tidbits.

Harm, but no foul
Fresh from the Too Little, Too Late Dept. comes word that the NBA rescinded the technical foul against San Antonio's Michael Finley in the second quarter of Game 4 in Dallas. Finley was called for a technical with 4:44 remaining in the half, and it appeared to be borderline at best. ``You can imagine what I wanted to say when I heard that," said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who found out about the decision Thursday. ``Does that mean we win the game by 1 point?" Game 4, which was played May 15, went into overtime, and the Mavericks prevailed, 123-118, so the technical was huge. (Dirk Nowitzki made the free throw.) For Finley, it means he won't have to fork over $1,000 to the league. For the Spurs, it means yet another tough break in a series they just as easily could have won.

Mental block
Four days after the fact, Manu Ginobili was still upset over his foul on Nowitzki late in Game 7 of the Spurs-Mavericks series. Popovich and his wife planned to take Ginobili and his wife out to dinner Friday so the coach could remind Ginobili just how important he has been to the Spurs' success. ``We want to let him know how great he is, and we'd have two less championships if he hadn't been here," Popovich said. ``He has been so despondent for a while because he is so tough on himself. You want to treat him like he was your son." The Spurs were leading by 3 when Nowitzki drove to the hoop late in Game 7. Popovich had told his team not to foul, to prevent a 3-point play, but Ginobili went for the block, missed, and Nowitzki's 3-point play enabled the Mavs to tie a game they eventually would win in overtime. ``Manu is the most competitive player that I've ever been around," Popovich said. ``He comes up with a lot of plays that help you win." That was said well before Game 7. But those are words Popovich still stands by.

Drbio
05-28-2006, 06:34 PM
The spurts fans are whining as expected over the news of the rescinded technical. Craptacularly predictable.

bernardos70
05-28-2006, 06:40 PM
Even the best, I wanna read that trainwreck! Spursreport.com?

EDIT: Alias "Spurs Brasil........" what a disgrace to the country of Brazil!

I didn't find anything there about this. What's another forum?

Drbio
05-28-2006, 06:49 PM
I've seen some posts at spurstalk and spursreport. Spurstalk has their share of whiners but I have found that site to be more intelligent than the intellectually inferior spursreport who seems only to require a first grade education to join.

aexchange
05-28-2006, 11:20 PM
spursreport has the biggest load of idiots i've ever seen.

they are the forums equivalent of mavtalk for intellectually stimulating basketball conversation. that's to say that none exists. for the entire season, their champion nitwit, RichB told everybody that the only teams in contention for a NBA championship were san antonio and detroit and that the best team always wins in a 7 game series.

after the mavs won, he started bitching about the lack of calls that went the spurs way in games 3 and 4, neglecting the fact that the spurs were beaten on their own home court in game 7 of the playoffs and that duncan would have gotten jesus to foul out if jesus played in a mavs uniform. i digress however. i now know why everyone hates the spurs. their fans bitch. and moan. and complain. and whine. and cry. and whine some more. shut up. your season's over.

scoreboard bitch.

Big Boy Laroux
05-29-2006, 04:42 PM
i agree murph. cuban is a lot of things, but he's certainly NEVER been classy.

if i were at the game, i'd have booed fin. but i'd also have booed duncan, bowen, parker, manu, etc. (ESPECIALLY manu and parker). i'd have been hoarse after every game.

mike is not a traitor. whiner? maybe... he didn't even get hit in the nuts, just the waistband.

my whole thing with mike is that it was constantly made public that he did not want to be here in a reserve role. then he gets cut, and signs on for a reserve role with the spurs. i think that's where a lot of the animosity comes from.

ballin_boi
05-31-2006, 09:10 AM
Mike Finley didn't deserve any boos. He carried this team on his back long before the arrival of Dirk and Cash. He got released by Cuban, Cuban betrayed him and his loyalty. He also played us clean btw.

If anyone deserves to be booed it's Cash, he turned away from his team to chase the $$$. Top it off he played dirty against us in two post seasons now.

mavsman
06-04-2006, 07:44 PM
I got a chance to meet Dirk his first year he entered the league. He speaked zero english. None.
The "speaked" in there is almost as funny as the whole statement is bull. Dirk studied English for 9 years in school. English was the lingua franca on his würzburg team, because of his american teammates. So it's not like he was Wang or Sabonis coming to the US.

EricaLubarsky
06-05-2006, 11:43 AM
According to recent comments, Finley now regrets signing with the Spurs. He wishes he had signed with the Heat

vjz
06-05-2006, 02:32 PM
According to recent comments, Finley now regrets signing with the Spurs. He wishes he had signed with the Heat

I am surprised he'd make such a comment... source?

Or is that sarcasm?!

EricaLubarsky
06-05-2006, 02:36 PM
pure, unadulterated sarcasm.

vjz
06-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Gottit :)

I am sure he is privately wishing he signed with the Heat. And there is nothing I hate more than someone who wants a ring and signs with the pre-season favorites to get a "free" ring, riding on someone else's coattails.

MavsFanFinley
06-05-2006, 07:36 PM
(Posted 5-24-06 on the SA Express website. You have to sign up to read the archives.)

Finley had one goal when he decided to sign with the Spurs last summer after the Mavericks cut him loose: win a championship.

Two other teams that courted Finley, the Phoenix Suns and Miami Heat, are in their respective conference finals, but Finley is not second-guessing himself.

chumdawg
06-05-2006, 10:27 PM
I think all us Mavs fans would do well to think back to how close we were to being quite experienced at fishing by now. It's probably not that often that you are going to be down three on the road in a Game Seven with less than half a minute left and come out on top.

By the time the systematic Mavericks dismantling of the Heat is done, it will become clear that the Spurs were the biggest threat to the championship won, and in fact may have had the upper hand when no other team ever did.

Fin is doing fine. We haven't seen the last of him.

Knickfan
06-07-2006, 02:23 PM
mike is not a traitor. whiner? maybe... he didn't even get hit in the nuts, just the waistband.

my whole thing with mike is that it was constantly made public that he did not want to be here in a reserve role. then he gets cut, and signs on for a reserve role with the spurs. i think that's where a lot of the animosity comes from.

He's a whiner because someone tried to punch him?? Now it doesn't matter whether someone connects or not but if someone takes a swing at you, and you are able to walk away from it calmly then I give you a HELL of a lot of credit!!! I think MOST people would have responded!!!!!

Also at the time, you can't really blame him for deciding to be a reserve in San Antonio instead of Dallas. San Antonio was the defending world champs and the Mavericks weren't. If anyone is going to be humble, they're going to be humble to the world champions. Also how many times have you seen a professional athlete who has been a star NOT want to accept their talent is diminishing. Fin is no different than any other player in the NBA, and I watch people bash him because he wanted to be confident in his own ability. I would guarantee ANYONE who has dissed him for not wanting to take a reserve role would probably act JUST like Fin did.