PDA

View Full Version : Heat in the Finals!!

endrity
06-02-2006, 10:10 PM
It's official now, the Miami Heat are in the Finals. We gotta take care of business to get rested too. Dirk and Josh have ankle tweaks and Diop has played a lot of minutes for him in this series. Anyway time to start talking matchups eventhough we already have in some past threads.

ocelot_ark
06-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Are you a F'ing retard? You are aware that we aren't in the Finals yet, right? Nothing is certain until we have 4 wins. Until then, anything is possible.

bernardos70
06-02-2006, 10:25 PM
I was going to reply to this thread agreeing with you but then I realized we still have to finish the Suns. Hah, thanks for reminding me ocelot.

endrity
06-02-2006, 10:45 PM
I did say we have to take care of business right???? Doesn't that imply that I am well aware that we are not there yet?

4cwebb
06-02-2006, 10:48 PM
Regardless of who the Heat face in the Finals, if Shaq is going to be a spry as he was in Game 6 against the Pistons, he is going to be tough to handle. He played smartly on offense and defense, he challenged shots at the rim, and he controlled the defensive glass. I don't think he committed a single charge, which is to me shows that he recognizes that the refs aren't going to let him get away with dislodging his defender when he has the ball --- instead, I watched him fight for great position tonight, catch the ball, take a rhythm dribble or gather himself, and put up soft jump hook after soft jump hook that bounced on the rim and fell through. If he continues to play this way in the Finals, the Heat will be a very formidable opponent indeed.

Oh, and congrats to Shaq for making good on his promise to take the Heat to the NBA Finals, and sticking it to Kobe in the process (at least to some degree, even if the Heat don't win).

Thespiralgoeson
06-02-2006, 11:02 PM
If there's one thing that the Heat's recent play has shown us is that Pat Riley is still one of the best coaches in the game. The team was very disappointing from the get-go this season. It was almost sad really, considering the fact that for most of the season they were winless against the other so-called "elite" teams. Riley takes over, and it's still a rough transition at first, but they sure as hell came on strong towards the end of the regular season, and have been arguably the best team in the playoffs so far. Riley's definitely still got it.

MavKikiNYC
06-02-2006, 11:07 PM
Riley's definitely still got it.

Not sure about Riley and the Xs and Os right now, but he is definitely The Motivator, and appears to have a huge connection with Shaq.

It's all pretty clear that Flip Saunders doesn't have it, never had it, and probably won't ever.

It may make people rethink their assessment of Larry Brown as a plug-and-play coach on a championship team.

Oh, and congrats to Shaq for making good on his promise to take the Heat to the NBA Finals, and sticking it to Kobe in the process (at least to some degree, even if the Heat don't win).

Shaq has definitely done more with his new supporting cast than Kobe did with his, 81 notwithstanding.

MightyToine
06-02-2006, 11:59 PM
The Heat are in the finals and you know what that means....

More of him :

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/8a0ca55b-e31f-4fc8-a3bd-c38f127da2b8.jpg

and More of me.....unfortunately for DrBioTURD. :D

MavKikiNYC
06-03-2006, 12:39 AM
It's all pretty clear that Flip Saunders doesn't have it, never had it, and probably won't ever.

It may make people rethink their assessment of Larry Brown as a plug-and-play coach on a championship team.

Bill Simmons: Burning Playoff Questions

Question No. 6: Flip Saunders' weird nervous tick, the one where he juts his chin out and tilts his head back during tense moments ... umm ... has he always been doing that?

I would love to tell you that this started midway through the Cavs series, but yes, he's always done that. It's just a little more pronounced now that he's coaching a 64-win team into the ground.

That reminds me, after watching Flip for the past six weeks, I'm willing to reconsider the whole "KG has been wildly underrated all along and never got any help except for the one year with Cassell and Spree" thing. No wonder KG looked like he was ready to commit a homicide all season.

chumdawg
06-03-2006, 12:58 AM
Last time we played Miami for the championship, it went 24-3.

Thespiralgoeson
06-03-2006, 01:36 AM

Greatness.

spreedom
06-03-2006, 01:48 AM
Flip Saunders SUCKS at making substitutions (that is, removing the right player and inserting the right player, both at the right time and for the right reasons) and getting anything out of his bench. That's why he'll never make it to the Finals.

MightyToine
06-03-2006, 03:59 AM

Aahh...too bad this is Basketball. or maybe NOT too bad? :)

Mavs/Heat is sooo gonna kick azzz.

RedWhiteAndBlue
06-03-2006, 10:54 PM
The regular seaosn doesn't matter in the playoffs. Not when you are playing Shaq, a mad Shaq at that.

Stranger
06-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Yeah, the Heat are in the Finals... but only for 4 or 5 games. :)

mz_ball1stic
06-03-2006, 11:46 PM
that i cnt wait to see.....lets go mavs

AxdemxO
06-04-2006, 02:25 AM
WE shuldnt even worry bout Shaq...the only player we need to take care of is Wade..and we will have the gold

MightyToine
06-04-2006, 04:16 AM
WE shuldnt even worry bout Shaq...the only player we need to take care of is Wade..and we will have the gold

Lots of luck, then. The PISSING-TONS couldn't hold Wade.....What makes you all think the Mavs could?

Heat in 6.

orangedays
06-04-2006, 04:21 AM
Lots of luck, then. The PISSING-TONS couldn't hold Wade.....What makes you all think the Mavs could?

Mavericks > PISSING-TONS

Dallas in 5

dude1394
06-04-2006, 09:36 AM
The Heat are in the finals and you know what that means....

and More of me.....unfortunately for DrBioTURD. :D

Congrats. 'toine... I did not think the heat had it in them.

come on into the water...it's fine....

AgulaDX
06-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Dirk is playing awesome, but that's all you guys got in the superstars department.

Heat have Shaq and Wade.

Both teams are extremely deep. Mavs have edge in the speed factor and have homecourt.

Both teams have improved defensively as the season went on.

I say Heat in 6 games because they just have more Finals experience than the Mavs.

4cwebb
06-04-2006, 07:46 PM
Dirk is playing awesome, but that's all you guys got in the superstars department.

Heat have Shaq and Wade.

Both teams are extremely deep. Mavs have edge in the speed factor and have homecourt.

I say Heat in 6 games because they just have more Finals experience than the Mavs.

Neither team's best player has ever played in the Finals, though. Sure, Shaq has some NBA Finals experience, and I guess GP does as well, but it's not as if this Heat team has been to the Finals before.

I'd be surprised if the Heat take two of the first three games at the AAC to win in 6.

Edit: I also don't consider the Heat to be an extremely deep team. They have GP, Posey and Mourning off the bench, and then they get to Shanden Anderson, Derek Anderson, Michael Doleac, and the like. That's not extreme depth, imho.

mavsman
06-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Sounds quite okay, after all the spurs whinos came in with their "you only got Dirk and Bowen completely pwns him. Whatcha gonna do against Duncan, Parker AND Ginobili" - crap and after the suns idiots with their "Matrix pwns Dirk AND we got the MVP, so Suns in 4" bs. Been there, done that. Prepare to get to know the Dallas Maverick 10 man rotation. You'll remember their names very well in no time.

nashtymavsfan13
06-04-2006, 11:11 PM
Position-by-position matchups for the NBA finals
By BRIAN MAHONEY, AP Basketball Writer

A position-by-position look at the matchups in the NBA finals between the Dallas Mavericks and Miami Heat.

CENTER: DeSagana Diop vs. Shaquille O'Neal. A bust in Cleveland after being taken with the eighth pick in the 2001 draft, Diop has filled his role well in Dallas by providing the Mavericks with rebounding and shot-blocking. His presence in the middle helped slow Phoenix's penetration in the Western Conference semifinals. But now he gets the ultimate test in O'Neal, a three-time finals MVP who is shooting 61 percent in this postseason. Erick Dampier will get plenty of minutes for Dallas as well -- though they both might be in over their heads. Edge: Heat.

POWER FORWARD: Dirk Nowitzki vs. Udonis Haslem. Already a star, Nowitzki now seems to have no weaknesses in his offensive game. He can hit a 3-pointer on one possession and score on the blocks the next. If Haslem plays him, he'll surely try to be physical with Nowitzki. But Nowitzki could then just play away from the basket, which would also weaken the Heat because Haslem is a good rebounder they want near the rim. Edge: Mavericks.

SMALL FORWARD: Josh Howard vs. Antoine Walker. A terrific defensive player who will probably spend a good amount of time on Dwyane Wade, Howard's offensive game has also become a key for the Mavs. They are 25-0 this season when he scores 20 or more points. Walker has had a good postseason as Miami's No. 3 scoring option behind Wade and O'Neal, showing a willingness to go inside instead of settling only for 3s. Edge: Mavericks.

SHOOTING GUARD: Adrian Griffin vs. Wade. Wade is right there with Nowitzki as the two best players in this postseason. Even Detroit, regarded as one of the NBA's top defensive teams, rarely had an answer for him. Dallas could put Griffin back into the starting lineup for his defense, and Howard will likely get plenty of chances to defend Wade, too. Edge: Heat.

POINT GUARD: Jason Terry vs. Jason Williams. Devin Harris has been getting the starts at the point for the Mavs since early in the second round, but they may move Terry back there now. Wherever he plays, he's an excellent outside shooter and the Mavs' second-leading scorer. Williams isn't the scorer, but the Heat don't need him to be with Wade in the backcourt. Edge: Mavericks.

RESERVES: Jerry Stackhouse, Dampier, Harris, Keith Van Horn, Marquis Daniels vs. Gary Payton, Alonzo Mourning and James Posey. Miami's bench made a huge difference against New Jersey and Detroit, but neither of those teams is deep. Dallas, on the other hand, is one of the deepest and most balanced teams in the league, able to turn to Stackhouse for scoring, Harris to quicken the tempo, and Dampier to play O'Neal. Edge: Mavericks.

COACHES: Avery Johnson vs. Pat Riley. Riley put this team together, put himself in charge of coaching it, and has it peaking at exactly the right time. He remains one of the best there is at motivating players and has a wealth of experience in the finals. Johnson was coach of the year in his first full season, and has shown why he was such a good choice during the playoffs by constantly making the right adjustments. He went smaller and quicker to beat the Spurs, then figured out how to slow the Suns. Next up: figuring out what to do with Wade and O'Neal. Edge: Even.

nashtymavsfan13
06-04-2006, 11:12 PM

Heat have Shaq and Wade.

I would take Dirk and the better team over your two "superstars" anyday.

MightyToine
06-05-2006, 12:27 AM
SMALL FORWARD: Josh Howard vs. Antoine Walker. A terrific defensive player who will probably spend a good amount of time on Dwyane Wade, Howard's offensive game has also become a key for the Mavs. They are 25-0 this season when he scores 20 or more points. Walker has had a good postseason as Miami's No. 3 scoring option behind Wade and O'Neal, showing a willingness to go inside instead of settling only for 3s. Edge: Mavericks.

See? told ya. There'll be no "chucking" this time around. :cool:

But anyway, I really Doubt Walker would be guarding Josh unless Riley doesn't mind Josh scoring 30 a game...lol. :eek: :rolleyes:

RedWhiteAndBlue
06-05-2006, 06:09 PM
In what universe is a first year coach and an NBA legend considered even?

fluid.forty.one
06-05-2006, 07:10 PM
wow redwhiteandblue, you sure sound like a mavs fan. have you not seen what this first year coach has DONE in his first year? more wins in his first 82 games than any coach in HISTORY.

and dont even say its because he had "good players". riley had pretty decent players when he got his rings.

dude1394
06-05-2006, 08:51 PM
I don't know that avery guy has done pretty well. He swept Fratello, out-coached the 3time champions sp*rs coach and just whooped last years coach of the year.

Not bad...He might be able to find the court.

MightyToine
06-05-2006, 09:50 PM
I don't know that avery guy has done pretty well. He swept Fratello, out-coached the 3time champions sp*rs coach and just whooped last years coach of the year.

Not bad...He might be able to find the court.

Avery's done an outstanding job, bar none.

But now he's going to go up against one of THE Best PLAYOFF Coaches in NBA History. This series will be a human-chess game between the two when it comes to matchups and the like....

It seems that Mavs are holding ALL THE CARDS..ALL THE ADVANTAGES...And it don't look good for the Heat.....

...Yet, Most here have Mavs in 6.....Why not 5 or 4?? With all the overwhelming advantages that Dallas has, why not believe that your team will run Miami off the floor in 4 straight or in 5?

I'm telling ya....Those of you who say that the Mavs are underdogs need to check yourself into a psychiatric ward for testing 'cause you're NUTS.

Mavs are OVERWHELMING favorites to win it all this series and I'm not really happy about it but, that said, in a 7-game series, you never know what might happen...

chumdawg
06-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Mavs aren't overwhelming favorites. They are -160, which means they will win about 53% of the time.

dude1394
06-05-2006, 11:23 PM
This series is basically a toss-up. The only reason the mavs are the favorites is because of hca. I listened to a vegas oddsmaker say as much today. Since they have 4 home games, they will be favored in 4 out of 7. It's pretty much a pick-em.

RedWhiteAndBlue
06-05-2006, 11:24 PM
wow redwhiteandblue, you sure sound like a mavs fan. have you not seen what this first year coach has DONE in his first year? more wins in his first 82 games than any coach in HISTORY.

and dont even say its because he had "good players". riley had pretty decent players when he got his rings.

I will take Dirk over Haslem. I'll take most of our players over anyone on the Heat but Shaq but if you think I am taking our first year coach over Par Riley then you don't know me.

Avery has been great but he does not trump Riley on any level, yet. Let us win the thing before we add his name with a Hall of Famer.

AgulaDX
06-06-2006, 10:17 AM
My point of Dirk being you're only superstar is, what happens if he has an off game?

If Wade or Shaq is off...they still have one another to bounce back with.

It seems like Dirk is NEEDED to play spectacular EVERY game or else it will be a Dallas loss.

orangedays
06-06-2006, 10:25 AM
My point of Dirk being you're only superstar is, what happens if he has an off game?

If Wade or Shaq is off...they still have one another to bounce back with.

It seems like Dirk is NEEDED to play spectacular EVERY game or else it will be a Dallas loss.

For the record, if either Wade or Shaq has an off game, Miami will not beat Dallas.

sike
06-06-2006, 10:47 AM
This series is basically a toss-up. The only reason the mavs are the favorites is because of hca. I listened to a vegas oddsmaker say as much today. Since they have 4 home games, they will be favored in 4 out of 7. It's pretty much a pick-em.
I could not disagree with this more.

The Heat, like the Mavs, are a better than average Defensive team, but are not nearly the Offensive team that the Mavs are. The threats the Mavs pose on the offensive end are far more diverse. They have several three point threats, several fastbreak threats, several players who can attack the rim with abandon, and a three players who can do all of the above (JT, Dirk, JHo).

The Heat offer JWill and Walker from the three point line...*cough* and then Wade, Shaq, and Zo, and Haslem on the inside...

The Mavs can match the Heat in the half court game...but I doubt very seriously if the Heat can match the Mavs in an uptempo game...

is this an over simplication of the series...of course. But I do not see these two teams so evenly matched as to call it a "pick-em"

sike
06-06-2006, 10:48 AM
For the record, if either Wade or Shaq has an off game, Miami will not beat Dallas.
For the record...if the Mavs play their best game and the Heat play theirs...the Mavs win by at least 7.

MightyToine
06-06-2006, 09:45 PM
For the record...if the Mavs play their best game and the Heat play theirs...the Mavs win by at least 7.

But there's no way either team plays their best OFFENSIVELY since both teams will bust their asses on 'D'. Agreed? :cool:

dude1394
06-06-2006, 10:10 PM
I could not disagree with this more.

The Heat, like the Mavs, are a better than average Defensive team, but are not nearly the Offensive team that the Mavs are. The threats the Mavs pose on the offensive end are far more diverse. They have several three point threats, several fastbreak threats, several players who can attack the rim with abandon, and a three players who can do all of the above (JT, Dirk, JHo).

The Heat offer JWill and Walker from the three point line...*cough* and then Wade, Shaq, and Zo, and Haslem on the inside...

The Mavs can match the Heat in the half court game...but I doubt very seriously if the Heat can match the Mavs in an uptempo game...

is this an over simplication of the series...of course. But I do not see these two teams so evenly matched as to call it a "pick-em"

I'm hoping you are right, I want nothing more than to watch the mavs win the trophy on miami's court. I ONLY want to use two tickets to this series. But I don't see it..I think it's going to be damn competitive and as usual, who wants it more will take it...

TAKE IT DAMMIT!!!

MightyToine
06-06-2006, 11:25 PM
I'm hoping you are right, I want nothing more than to watch the mavs win the trophy on miami's court. I ONLY want to use two tickets to this series. But I don't see it..I think it's going to be damn competitive and as usual, who wants it more will take it...

TAKE IT DAMMIT!!!

I think Shaq wants it more....

I think Zo DEFINITELY wants it more...

I think Riley wants it more....

GP certainly wants it more....

Haslem is just glad to be here and J-Will still doesn't care about anything (though he did say "It's winning time" in his press conference)

Walker.......I think he REALLY REALLY WANTS TO WIN IT ALL just to shut all the critic's mouths up on how no team with him on it will win anything(which, I now think, is moot since the Heat DID win the EC).....

nashtymavsfan13
06-07-2006, 01:47 AM
Amazingly on nba.com they have a poll about who will win the finals, and 36% of the ppl say Heat in 6, which is highest %.

When will they learn.....

MightyToine
06-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Amazingly on nba.com they have a poll about who will win the finals, and 36% of the ppl say Heat in 6, which is highest %.

When will they learn.....

Hey...Dallas may have overwhelming advantages but the fact remains that THE GAMES MUST STILL BE PLAYED ON THE BASKETBALL COURT

Mavs could indeed win in 6 or 7 as many expect here....*BUT* many things could occur to alter that like say.....Dirk struggles in a game or two, heat take advantage....or, god forbid, an injury to a key rotation player....A Role player on the Heat steps up big.....

Anything that can happen in a series such as this most likely WILL happen....

Drbio
06-07-2006, 10:10 PM
The fact also remains that you suck as a poster and Walker sucks as a player. Spares breed spares I suppose.