PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard this? Thoughts?

u2sarajevo
06-07-2006, 07:13 AM
Harm, but no foul
Fresh from the Too Little, Too Late Dept. comes word that the NBA rescinded the technical foul against San Antonio's Michael Finley in the second quarter of Game 4 in Dallas. Finley was called for a technical with 4:44 remaining in the half, and it appeared to be borderline at best.

"You can imagine what I wanted to say when I heard that," said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who found out about the decision Thursday. "Does that mean we win the game by 1 point?"

Game 4, which was played May 15, went into overtime, and the Mavericks prevailed, 123-118, so the technical was huge. (Dirk Nowitzki made the free throw.)

For Finley, it means he won't have to fork over $1,000 to the league. For the Spurs, it means yet another tough break in a series they just as easily could have won.Link (http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2006/05/28/nowitzki_was_driving_force/)

Not that it would have mattered as there was 5 minutes left in the game when the foul was called. But I can just see the Spurs fans crying a river over this one.

Male30Dan
06-07-2006, 07:21 AM
That was posted a couple of times in previous threads... Check out the Post Game Finley thread as it might be there, but I know I read it on here a couple of times.

EDIT: Here is one (http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showpost.php?p=573725&postcount=32) place I saw it!

MavKikiNYC
06-07-2006, 08:16 AM
Now if the idiots would just rescind Mbnega's suspension, or at least half it.

dirno2000
06-07-2006, 09:43 AM
Link (http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2006/05/28/nowitzki_was_driving_force/)

Not that it would have mattered as there was 5 minutes left in the game when the foul was called. But I can just see the Spurs fans crying a river over this one.

There were 5 minutes left in the half right?

EricaLubarsky
06-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Pisses me off so bad. The officiating was terrible on both sides of that series and it gives more fuel for the San Antonio whiners to moan about how the league was rigged, and honestly Im with them a little.

As far as technicals go, its a here and now moment. There is absolutely no need to review it. The refs use techs to assert their will and to gain control of the situation. It's based on a bunch of things such as flow of the game, the emotional condition of the player, the type of contact if any and the amount of whining that the player/coach had performed before the call. If a player whines all game and the ref says he doesnt want to hear about it anymore, the player gets teched for continuing to whine, does the league review that one play and determine that he wasn't all that pissy?

It just makes no sense at all.

Usually Lurkin
06-07-2006, 10:04 AM
Does this mean that the league is rigged (refs called a bad tech to give the mavs a point) or that the league is not rigged (why would they admit a bad call if it was on purpose?) or that Bruce Bowen's bad karma spilled over to a teammate?

mary
06-07-2006, 10:29 AM
I think it means that David Stern is having a secret love affair with Mark Cuban and that Manu was paid off by President Bush to foul Dirk at the end of Game 7....or something like that.

MavsFanFinley
06-07-2006, 10:40 AM
I know Spurs fans were upset at the time because the Spurs were up 8 (or was it 10?) and after that technical the Mavs went on a run to tie it up. It changed momentum but no one knows whether it would have changed the outcome of the game.

I only wonder why it came down after the series was over and not before the start of the next game? What were the reviewing calls for then?

MavKikiNYC
06-07-2006, 11:45 AM
I'm forgetting exactly why that technical was assessed.

Was it for whining? Or was it because they thought Finley made some kind of unnecessary contact with Dirk while taking the ball out of the basket to inbound?

My recollection is that it was the latter--and if they subsequently determined that no contact was made, and that therefore no technical was warranted, then they were correct to rescind it.

The rescension comes into play because of the monetary fine attached, though admittedly that's negligible. Also, while not pertinent in this case, the NEED to be able to rescind an improperl assessed technical would come up in the context of potential suspensions for cumulatively assessed technicals.

alexamenos
06-07-2006, 02:45 PM

Thoughts?

I think it's great. Anything that enhances the Spurs fans' feelings of angst is like icing on the cake.

I now only wish that whoever called the foul on Bowen at the end of regulation in game 4 would say that he only called the foul because he inadvertantly blew his whistle and was too embarrassed to admit as much. Such an admission could cause an uprising which would be extremely entertaining.

cheers

MavsFanFinley
06-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Was it for whining? Or was it because they thought Finley made some kind of unnecessary contact with Dirk while taking the ball out of the basket to inbound?

My recollection is that it was the latter...

I'd have to look to be sure but I believe your right in it being the latter. I was thinking it was contact (elbow) when he went to rebound a missed ft but that can't be right because it was a delay of game technical, right?

Drbio
06-07-2006, 11:22 PM
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/drbio/manu.jpg

rakesh.s
06-08-2006, 12:53 AM
This is...The Curse of Finley.