PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here feel bad for Finley???

Knickfan
06-07-2006, 01:22 PM
I'm just curious because I kind of feel bad for him. The reason I do is because it seems at one point he was having a hard time accepting the emergence of Dirk, but his last year here he seemed to accept the fact that he was no longer considered the MAIN guy and he seemed to be willing to play whatever role he was asked and it's a shame the Mavs couldn't keep him. Now I understand Cuban made a business decision and you can't fault the man for doing what he felt was right for the teams finances but I really feel bad for Fin.

Truly in the NBA now there are very few players who are just truly classy and he's definately one of them. Even when the Spurs played them and he was being booed, he just handled himself very classy. I really feel bad for him, do any of you?

mary
06-07-2006, 01:26 PM
There's a Finley thread in the "Around the NBA" forum.

To answer the question, I love Finely....he's one of the classiest guys out there. But as a general rule, I don't really feel bad for grown men who are paid millions of dollars to play games. On occassion I'll dish out some sympathy for someone who is unfortunately injured or unjustly suspended, but even then...

Welcome to the board.

Quan
06-07-2006, 01:28 PM
No. I don't feel bad for anyone that it's getting paid millions from one organization and then millions from another organization. Who cares... At the end of the day, he can drive his lamborghini home to his luxurious house and then take a trip to Miami to watch the finals.

nashtymavsfan13
06-07-2006, 01:28 PM
I feel very sorry for him. He did so much for this franchise, and it's sad to see Mavs fans boo him, and him not to be able to join us in this big moment.

That being said, I bet he attends one of the games.

bobatundi
06-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Barring any kind of insane personal tragedy, I don't think I'll ever feel much sympathy for anyone making that kind of money to play a game. Finley couldn't get it done here, and wasn't willing to be the backup, so he was sent on his way in order to save the team $50MM. In the process, the team got better, as the guys who've taken Fin's minutes have brought this team more of what it needed, be that defense, ballhandling, speed, etc.

I don't fault him for signing with San Antonio, as he had to figure his best chance to get to a championship was either there or Miami, and that was clearly his top priority and his right as a free agent; and he'll have a chance again next year, presumably; but no, I don't feel bad for Finley.

The Crippler
06-07-2006, 01:32 PM
not one bit. He's still getting paid.

endtroducing MASKED
06-07-2006, 01:43 PM
I said last year that Dallas wouldn't go anywhere until Finley was gone. so nope, don't miss the guy.

TripleDipping
06-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Feel sorry for him? No. Dude is a multimillionaire and I'm sure he's a happy guy outside of basketball.

I do wish that he's still a Mav because he deserves to win a championship, or at least play in the finals.

alexamenos
06-07-2006, 02:40 PM
nope....Finley was a guy who gave it everything he had right up until he got that the long-term multi-million dollar contract.

Maybe it wasn't the guaranteed money that turned his effort into shiite, but instead old legs....

whatever the case, the dude wasn't gettin' it done, and he was gettin' paid a ton of money not to get it done.....we should all have such problems.

Knickfan
06-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Everyone is focusing on the money, of course I don't feel sorry for him in that regards he's a MILLIONAIRE. I'm referring to the fact a team that he shed blood sweat and tears for, for a long time and the fact that he's not around to enjoy the benefit of it. Yes I know he's going to be paid regardless, that wasn't what I was asking... Forget it, everyone wants to focus on the fact he's getting paid alot of money. I'm not saying should we feel bad for him because he's destitute but because he tried for so long to get to this point and the YEAR after he gets CUT they go to the finals. It's a shame, just in my opinion but hey if you all don't feel sorry for him, that's cool.

spreedom
06-07-2006, 03:03 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Mike sign a 1 or 2 year deal with the Mavs once his original Mavericks contract runs out..

aexchange
06-07-2006, 03:38 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Mike sign a 1 or 2 year deal with the Mavs once his original Mavericks contract runs out..

hes inked to a 3 year deal with the spurs. when his contract expires, he'll be 34 or 35.

the mavs won't sign him to any contract.

i do feel a bit sorry for him. he fought for our beloved little mavs and battled every second out there. nonetheless, he's now a spur. i wish him the best of luck, but not against us.

alexamenos
06-07-2006, 03:41 PM
......but because he tried for so long to get to this point and the YEAR after he gets CUT they go to the finals. It's a shame, just in my opinion but hey if you all don't feel sorry for him, that's cool.

.....and this is where I don't quite see eye to eye with you...it's not that he "tried for so long to get to this point", but rather that he tried up until he got that huge contract and he got cut a couple of years later. this "I, Mike Finley, gave it all, blood and guts and sweat and tears" is more spin than reality. He wasn't nearly the player in '05 that he was in '02 or '03.

Granted, it could well have been his age. If it is that he got old rather than complacent, I do indeed feel a bit bad for him. I nonetheless would rather feel a little bad for Fin rather than a lot bad for Dirk, Howard, et al being hamstrung for years to come with the ramifications of Finley's multi-gillion dollar per year luxury tax hit.

cheers

Knickfan
06-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Granted, it could well have been his age. If it is that he got old rather than complacent, I do indeed feel a bit bad for him. I nonetheless would rather feel a little bad for Fin rather than a lot bad for Dirk, Howard, et al being hamstrung for years to come with the ramifications of Finley's multi-gillion dollar per year luxury tax hit.

Well as you know shooting guards typically start to decline after the age of 30-31. In 02' and 03' you're talking about a shooting guard who was 29 and 30, compared to last year when he was 32. May not seem like a big deal but if you look historically shooting guards after the age of 30 you'll see their numbers start to decline. Not to mention, Avery Johnson employed an entirely new system and Fin didn't have the freedom in Avery's system he had in Nellie's system. Think about it, every year Nellie said, "we're going to reduce Fin's minutes" and he didn't, the finally Avery did. As a result, Josh Howard was just younger, more energetic and more athletic which made it SEEM as if Fin wasn't giving his all but the reality of it was he couldn't do what he did when he was younger. If you think about the fact over his last three years with the Mavericks, his body really started to fall apart which also indicates his age had alot to do with it because he's not someone who was EVER out of shape.

alexamenos
06-07-2006, 04:55 PM
I wouldn't argue with the proposition that age was a bigger factor than complacency. All the same, I don't feel bad for the guy.

cheers

chumdawg
06-07-2006, 05:13 PM
Why did so many of the responses in this thread have to do with money?

I feel bad for the guy because the way it ended in Dallas damaged his reputation and probably his esteem. And undeservedly so.

dirno2000
06-07-2006, 06:06 PM
I feel bad for the guy because the way it ended in Dallas damaged his reputation and probably his esteem. And undeservedly so.

That's part of the deal isn't it? In exchange for money and fame, you give up some privacy. One of the downsides is that is that your biggest failures and embarrassments are be out there for the world to see. Heís and educated guy so Iím sure he could have found a job in a more private industry. Probably would have paid a little less.

I'm sure his esteem has been damaged but he'll get over it. I don't say that to be callous but because I know it...I've seen it. If the 49'res can cut Jerry Rice then it can happen to anybody. I donít know if youíve heard Keyshawn since his release but thereís a guy who gets it.

As far as his reputation, I donít think thatís been damaged. Why do you?

V2M
06-07-2006, 06:22 PM
4 more wins to go before I start feeling sorry for anyone. I'm too occupied with the F-I-N-A-L-S for now!

alexamenos
06-07-2006, 06:37 PM
I'm sure his esteem has been damaged but he'll get over it. I don't say that to be callous but because I know it...I've seen it. If the 49'res can cut Jerry Rice then it can happen to anybody. I donít know if youíve heard Keyshawn since his release but thereís a guy who gets it.

I was thinking 'bout Joe Montana -- Rice and Young hooked up well not too long after he left town....

chumdawg
06-07-2006, 06:38 PM
That's part of the deal isn't it? In exchange for money and fame, you give up some privacy. One of the downsides is that is that your biggest failures and embarrassments are be out there for the world to see. Heís and educated guy so Iím sure he could have found a job in a more private industry. Probably would have paid a little less.

As far as his reputation, I donít think thatís been damaged. Why do you?His rep has been damaged because one of the most free-spending owners of the last decade decided that he wasn't worth keeping anymore, even at the expense of making a competitor better. Basically Cuban *paid* to toss him away. That doesn't do much for a guy's reputation.

dirno2000
06-07-2006, 06:50 PM
His body of work is out there for everybody to form their own opinions. His reputation is based on what he does on the court, not Cuban's opinon of what he does on the court.

Plus people saw that same free spending owner let Nash walk so they know it's not all about his performance. It's about his performance relative to his skill level.

And for those that think he deserves a chance to play for the title, Miami would have loved to have him. They probably needed him more.

SeriousSummer
06-07-2006, 07:22 PM
No. He's a Spur. I don't have feelings for any Spur. (except maybe George Gervin--but don't go there).

MavsFanFinley
06-07-2006, 08:25 PM
The only reason I feel sorry for him is because Dirk asked the fans to boo him (when he didn't ask the same for Nash) and Cuban made him out to be the bad guy in the Terry punching incident. Yes, I know you boo the oponent but this was taken to another level.

If anything Fin showed he can still play and isn't washed up like many said when he left Dallas. Even though Miami is in the finals I think Fin made the right choice going to SA. He's still getting paid and with his minutes monitored he should be able to go in a reserved role for a few more years. We haven't heard the last of Fin.

dirno2000
06-07-2006, 08:34 PM
The booing didn't bother me at the time but it retrospect it probably wasn't necessary. Although Dirk didn't call for Nash to be boo'd he set the wheels in motion because Nash was boo'd.

I thought Miami would have been a better spot for him. They could use another shooter to open up the floor for Shaq and Wade so I'm pretty sure he'd be starting.

I think he went to SA to try to stick it to the Mavs and he almost did.

#1MavsFan
06-07-2006, 09:16 PM
I somewhat do since he carried us by himself for such a long time. Also he is partly responsible for the mavs going to the finals.

Murphy3
06-07-2006, 10:52 PM
If Finley would have given anything close to his all last year, he might still be in a Mavs uniform. So do I feel sorry for him? No, not at all. He was a sorry teammate last year refusing to do the little things. He tarnished his Mavs career. I have so much less respect for him than I did before last season. I don't feel sorry for him one bit.

capitalcity
06-08-2006, 01:12 AM
Feel bad? For Finley?

No. Wait... No.

Knickfan
06-08-2006, 09:28 AM
[QUOTE][If Finley would have given anything close to his all last year, he might still be in a Mavs uniform. So do I feel sorry for him? No, not at all. He was a sorry teammate last year refusing to do the little things. He tarnished his Mavs career. I have so much less respect for him than I did before last season. I don't feel sorry for him one bit/QUOTE]

Wow, that's a bold statement... The man's skills began to deteriorate, you don't have to just look at last year and tell that, you can look at his last three years in Dallas and see that. You think off of last year he "tarnished" his Mavs career?? Bold statement.

Murphy3
06-08-2006, 09:44 AM
You could have also just listened to some of the things that both AJ and Nellie said to realize that they were not happy with his effort. But hey, that's just going by what the coaches said.

Knickfan
06-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Well it was pretty obvious to me last year Johnson didn't really care for Finley too much rather Fin went into his dog house. I know Nellie and Johnson were both on him about effort BUT I just don't buy into Fin doesn't try, but I do believe that Fin's body just can't do what it once did.

MavsFanFinley
06-08-2006, 10:52 AM
AJ and Dirk have called Dampier out too. Does that mean he's turned his back on the team? I don't think so.

Murphy3
06-08-2006, 12:06 PM
At times, sure. But, Damp's not a guy that most people had just a hell of alot of respect for to begin with. Fin was.

Knickfan
06-08-2006, 01:15 PM
At times, sure. But, Damp's not a guy that most people had just a hell of alot of respect for to begin with. Fin was.

Well Damp is the same thing kind of. Damp was called out but again Dirk and AJ were expecting certain things out of him that I just don't think he's capable of NOR was ever capable of. I believe Fin at one point was capable of ALOT but as time and the minutes he logged over his career wore his body down, he just wasn't physically capable of doing what people grew accustomed to him doing.

I believe everyone was "tricked" by Dampier who played BEYOND his capabilities in his contract year and came back down to earth. Regardless of why, I think in both situations, both players were expected to do things they for whatever reason just weren't capable of anymore.

sike
06-08-2006, 02:14 PM
hes inked to a 3 year deal with the spurs. when his contract expires, he'll be 34 or 35.

the mavs won't sign him to any contract.

i do feel a bit sorry for him. he fought for our beloved little mavs and battled every second out there. nonetheless, he's now a spur. i wish him the best of luck, but not against us.
still would not mind seeing the guy retire a mav. those three point shooters can have extended careers...so don't think 35 = useless

jly
06-08-2006, 03:28 PM
finley is still a good guy and it's a shame he's not a mav right now, but...

we're still paying him millions to play for our main rivals, so no.

Thespiralgoeson
06-08-2006, 04:07 PM
I love Finley, I do wish he could be here to share this with the Mavs, but I really have a hard time feeling sorry for him if he doesn't win a championship, because too many players far better than him have never won a ring.

Karl Malone
John Stockton
Patrick Ewing
Charles Barkley
Reggie Miller
Elgin Baylor

among many many other truly great players that never won a ring. Not many players get the opportunity to do so, so I don't bother crying for the ones that don't.

MFFL
06-08-2006, 04:17 PM
You could have also just listened to some of the things that both AJ and Nellie said to realize that they were not happy with his effort. But hey, that's just going by what the coaches said.

I know that Avery didn't like Finley but how much of that was a clash of personalities? Finley thought the Mavs were HIS team and Avery thought otherwise. Nellie was caught in the middle and probably tried to appease both sides.

Once Avery became the head coach I knew Finley's days were numbered. And that's fine. Avery needed to set the team on HIS course and Finley was a distraction.

And no, I don't feel sorry for Finley. He got more undeserved abuse from "fans" than any other player who has ever worn a Mavs jersey. I'm happy that he got away from it. Maybe he'll win a championship in SA but I hope not. I'm pulling for the Mavs and a three-peat.

#1MavsFan
06-08-2006, 05:23 PM
If Finley would have given anything close to his all last year, he might still be in a Mavs uniform. So do I feel sorry for him? No, not at all. He was a sorry teammate last year refusing to do the little things. He tarnished his Mavs career. I have so much less respect for him than I did before last season. I don't feel sorry for him one bit.
What MFFL said and Finley was playing with an ankle that required surgery. That could have something to do with it.

rabbitproof
06-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Somewhere in my billions and billions of pounds of happiness of seeing our little Mavericks make it to the Finals, an oz or two of me feels for ole Findawg.

However, I don't really feel for him because when Finley choose San Antonio - it really became him or us. Either Dallas, San Antonio or Phoenix winning the West was preordained as far back as last August.

Some Guy
06-08-2006, 07:29 PM
However, I don't really feel for him because when Finley choose San Antonio - it really became him or us.
I believe that decision was made by Cuban/Nelson/Avery, not Finley. There is not a team in the league he could have played for where it would not be "him or us" at some point.

I do feel bad for finley, a little bit.

Murphy3
06-08-2006, 07:45 PM
If it was a problem with his ankle, Don Nelson and Avery Johnson both wouldn't have called him out publically for not giving out effort to do the little things. I'm not saying that his ankle didn't give him problems, but it didn't keep him from putting forth effort at times.

Fin was capable of attempting to get boards. He wasn't being called out because he wasn't capable of doing certain things. He was called out because he wasn't trying to do certain things.

jayC
06-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Finley didn't want to play off the bench for the mavs. And no I don't feel sorry for him. He gets money from the Spurs and all of the money remaining on his contract.

rabbitproof
06-08-2006, 11:20 PM
I believe that decision was made by Cuban/Nelson/Avery, not Finley. There is not a team in the league he could have played for where it would not be "him or us" at some point.

I do feel bad for finley, a little bit.

While I get your point, I disagree. Dallas and San Antonio were headed for a playoff tilt back in the fall. I could not say the same about Phoenix, Denver, Miami or Detroit.