PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Why does NBA officiating sucks?

vjz
06-19-2006, 03:40 PM
If there is one thing (almost) everyone agrees on, it's that NBA officiating sucks. The question is, why? And how can it be improved?

nashtymavsfan13
06-19-2006, 03:42 PM
It's because some stars get all the calls. There are other problems, and they better fix it. NBA basketball is getting harder and harder to enjoy because of it.

Stylistic
06-19-2006, 04:05 PM
I also think it's the superstar syndrome. No other league makes it as blatant as the NBA does and they will lose many fans if this keeps happening.

EricaLubarsky
06-19-2006, 04:17 PM
he refs do their jobs-- to help entertain. They are no better or worse than professional wrestling referees and their role is the same. Some refs are a little old school and play the game a little closer to the NCAA game at times-- Im thinking of old farts like Dick Bavetta who may still remember the old days.

Anyway, they all have their tendencies-- how they control the game to keep it exciting or whatever. Cuban has researched it, or has had his cronies do it and came up with http://www.blogmaverick.com/entry/3341359613624458/. Even referee magazines have articles about reffing to keep the crowd in the game. It isnt a big secret

NBA is a hybrid entertainment/sport, and you have to live with that.

Star treatment, excitement of game flow, home crowd influence, matchups...all play a part. Every ref wants to ref that game 7, where the superstar makes that final, leaning-offbalance through-the-legs-pass-or-dunk-or tip that wins the game with 0.2 seconds remaining. EVERY one. And no ref wants to ref in a blowout. Simple as that.

Its when the refs break with homecourt/star treatment/pro-comeback that is troubling, as well as when the refs build a close game and the final plays are determined by the ref.

D-Ball
06-19-2006, 07:49 PM
My theory is the rule book and the fact it's ill-defined. Players also go into it as they will act for the appearance of a foul.

Past that, I have no theories.

Mavfan + Ravenfan
06-19-2006, 09:52 PM
60 year old eyes don't see that well.